360 Wireless Adapter

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

360 Wireless Adapter

Post by Sylvus »

I recently moved into my new house, and at my old house we ran ethernet cable from the computer room with the router to the room that housed my 360. My new house I don't think I feel like going to the trouble, so I'll probably need a wireless solution.

What's the easiest/cheapest way to go about that? Do you have to buy the Microsoft adapter, or are there other options that work just as effectively?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Re: 360 Wireless Adapter

Post by Tyek »

I use the Microsoft adapter, it is expensive for what it does, but it mounts right to the unit, works fairly well and was simple to use. There is a Pelican model now for about 60 dollars (30 less then the Microsoft official one) but reviews say it is a bitch to set up. You can also use the gaming adapters from D-Link, http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=333 , but they run about the same as the Microsoft adapter.

On a side note I found a open box 120gb xbox hard drive for 70 dollars at Best Buy this weekend. It is NICE to have that much space on my Xbox now. Between the Circuit City stuff and this I cleaned up this weekend.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I just went ahead with the official one as well. My only complaint is that is only comes in white, and I have an elite which only comes in black. It;s the same problem I have with the chat pad. On the plus side, you cannot see the adapter at all on the back of the unit.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I have one of the Linksys wireless adapters. I will check which model it is when I get home later. I got it for 30-40 bucks at Best Buy a while back. I have had no problems with using it.

I think that I have the Linksys model WRH54G, and the WGA54G seems to be a version of the product I have.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Do you just reverse it to make it a transmitter rather than a router? I've thought about doing that because I need to plug in my Dish Network DVR as well as the 360 when we get it in a few weeks.

Marb
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The one I have is just an adapter. Plug the ethernet cable into the 360 and go. Unless you are talking about not using it with a wireless connection, which a hub would work for.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I tried a couple of the different gaming adapters and they completely sucked. The one from MS specifically for the 360 has been a complete win and was worth it.

On a side note, the wireless headset from MS is a complete pain in the ass and I would not recommend ever spending money on one unless you want to be purchasing/returning them every 6 months. I have gone through 4 of them now and have had to perform trickery to get them replaced. Basically it means going and buying a new one at a different store every 6 months or so and then returning it the next day with the non-charging headset in the package. If they could fix the damn units so that the battery charge would stop failing they would be glorious devices!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I ended up ordering an official MS wireless adapter, albeit refurb'ed, for $60. Hopefully it'll do the trick.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:On a side note, the wireless headset from MS is a complete pain in the ass and I would not recommend ever spending money on one unless you want to be purchasing/returning them every 6 months. I have gone through 4 of them now and have had to perform trickery to get them replaced. Basically it means going and buying a new one at a different store every 6 months or so and then returning it the next day with the non-charging headset in the package. If they could fix the damn units so that the battery charge would stop failing they would be glorious devices!
yeah, I gave up and went back to using the wired headset.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I don't use the wireless headset anymore. Complete shit. Worse 360-related purchase I've made really.

I own an Earforce X3 now. Loving that.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I was thinking about getting a wireless headset for Xmas. I'll steer away from the MS ones. Good to know.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

The Turtle Beach Ear Force sets are $$$$. I gave that as a Christmas gift idea to my wife....so hopefully I won't have to mess with the MS one any longer. It is a shame too....it really is the one accessory that is just garbage.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Both the Turtle Beach, Tritton an A40's offer 5.1 headsets that are much $$$ (About 250-300$).

The X3's are stereo wireless for 100$. My wife gave bought then for x-mas and gave them to me early the other night after about 5 minutes of playing Gears 2 Horde mode.

The 5.1 would've been nice, but with our budget, stereo will do just fine. I can already hear stuff I'd never heard before in quite a few games. They're great.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

lol @ 5.1 headsets.

Not that I'm making fun of any of you for what you enjoy in your own time. But that's the most innappropriate misuse of a name possible. Headphones cannot accurately simulate a center channel, much less have a subwoofer. So at best it's a quadraphonic headset, which has been out for almost 40 years.

Step 1. Make up a new high tech name a charge a fortune for it.
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Truant wrote:lol @ 5.1 headsets.

Not that I'm making fun of any of you for what you enjoy in your own time. But that's the most innappropriate misuse of a name possible. Headphones cannot accurately simulate a center channel, much less have a subwoofer. So at best it's a quadraphonic headset, which has been out for almost 40 years.

Step 1. Make up a new high tech name a charge a fortune for it.
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit!
I'm only calling it what the makers are calling it..

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/prod ... IGA611.htm

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx4/home.aspx
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I know, like I qualified above. I wasn't making fun of you...but of the companies "making" these 5.1 headsets.

There is nothing different about them to make them 5.1. It's the exact same technology we already have in our headsets.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:On a side note, the wireless headset from MS is a complete pain in the ass and I would not recommend ever spending money on one unless you want to be purchasing/returning them every 6 months. I have gone through 4 of them now and have had to perform trickery to get them replaced. Basically it means going and buying a new one at a different store every 6 months or so and then returning it the next day with the non-charging headset in the package. If they could fix the damn units so that the battery charge would stop failing they would be glorious devices!
I believe that's called fraud. Weren't you wanting all the illegals out of the country because they're violating the law by being here? Hypocrite!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Aslanna wrote:
I believe that's called fraud. Weren't you wanting all the illegals out of the country because they're violating the law by being here? Hypocrite!

Hey hey hey! No prodding in this forum! take it back to CE! :lol:
Timmah.