Burnout: Paradise

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Burnout: Paradise

Post by Aardor »

Funny article regarding the demo recently release: http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs. ... doesnt-fly
I don't mind a quick loading screen if I get to retry a race over and over, and really, there is no way you could keep that one race in memory to avoid that? If you tell me that memory is being used to keep the hub world from having to load... well, that's like saying you can't pour me a beer because your hands are so busy punching me. I don't care if you're very good at punching people, or if this is just a demo and you promise I'll be kicked as well when I give you money, the truth is I just wanted the beer.
Though I have not played the demo, I have played the last few Burnout games, and I can see why they would be upset at the change of style. The "world" in paradise just seems completely useless.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Re: Burnout: Paradise

Post by Fash »

I played the demo of this for a while and enjoyed it... I have no idea what this guy is talking about.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

It sounded like it was set up like Test Drive Unlimited. I rented it and it kept locking up when entering "world" races. Does this work the same way?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The game site reviewer peeps seems to really like Burnout Paradise.

The original Burnout game is my favorite. Hopefully this one gets back to basics.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

While playing the demo, I felt like I was playing GTA except couldn't get out of my car and there were no people to run over. Other than that, driving around looking for hidden jumps and stunts would seem to get a little old unless the world was stupidly huge. I didn't get a very good feel from the demo. At least, not enough to buy it. It's certianly pretty though.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I've played both Burnout Revenge and Burnout Paradise a few hours the past week. Overall I think I prefer Burnout Revenge. In Paradise if you lose an event if you want to retry it you have to drive all the way back to where it started. This = lame. Also, if you want to abandon (or retry) an event in the middle... Guess what? Your SoL because you can't.

The only good thing I can say, at least compared to BR, is there is no apparent load times. In Revenge every event is about a 20 second load time even if you do a retry (with the apparent exception of Crashbreaker events). This gets old real fast. Speaking of Crashbreaker events... Those don't exist in Paradise. Paradise does have 'stunt runs' but honestly I'm finding these lame and I usually skip them. The bad part being is I'm guessinf to advance to higher ranks I'll probably be forced to do them eventually.

Also as far as navigation goes, having to look at the mini map sucks. I usually crash when I take my eyes off the road to look at it. In the previous Burnouts, since they weren't in an open world setting you had huge arrows blocking your way so it was pretty obvious where you needed to go.

I also don't much care for the color palette used. It seems rather dark and sometimes makes it hard to see where you need to turn.

Overall I don't think Paradise is a bad game I just prefer the closed world of previous Burnouts to be more in the style of how I'd want to play the game. I'd not dislike it as much if the ability to retry events was there.

(Edit! I hear they added they added in an update the ability to retry a race during or after. I'll have to get that it that would save me some frustration)
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Bah stupid thing. Can delete this message!

(post +1)

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

In Paradise if you lose an event if you want to retry it you have to drive all the way back to where it started. This = lame. Also, if you want to abandon (or retry) an event in the middle... Guess what? Your SoL because you can't.
Just bring up the menu (right directional pad on PS3), hit down until you come to the menu option to retry current (or last) event.
Paradise does have 'stunt runs' but honestly I'm finding these lame and I usually skip them.
I think stunt events and Showtime are awesome fun.

There's just so much shit to do in Paradise.
Burning Routes (car specific races) to get upgraded cars.
Road rules (showtime/speed).
'Hidden' areas like the airstrip, racetrack, stripmine, etc.
Figuring out how to crash through every billboard.
Bikes have their own set of awards/events/races.
The online component is slick. You can drop in and out of online matches seamlessly... no loading screens.

I really enjoyed the previous Burnouts but Paradise is one of the most fun racing games I have ever played.
I can't recommend it enough, especially considering the $20 price.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:
In Paradise if you lose an event if you want to retry it you have to drive all the way back to where it started. This = lame. Also, if you want to abandon (or retry) an event in the middle... Guess what? Your SoL because you can't.
Just bring up the menu (right directional pad on PS3), hit down until you come to the menu option to retry current (or last) event.
Well yeah now. I mentioned that in my edit on the bottom! This wasn't in the original release and was a major criticism by just about every reviewer. I know their intent was that if you lose an event you'd just pick up the next closest event to where you finished but I'd rather just do an event until I win. Not to mention if you only have a few events left and they are spread out all over. Then you had to drive aimlessly to get to them. To me it just seems like wasted time when you just want to get in, play a few events, then go off and do something else.

Paradise does have 'stunt runs' but honestly I'm finding these lame and I usually skip them.
I think stunt events and Showtime are awesome fun.
Showtime was fun the first few times. Now it seems a bit boring to me. Crashbreakers just seemed much more satisfying than rolling around into oncoming traffic. And I suck at stunt runs. I must not be doing it right because never won one. I get like.. 2,000 points or something. It's probably my vehicle as I'm still using the Krieger Pioneer SUV thingie. Mostly because I can crash more times and also because the control of the speed cars seems a bit flaky to me. Once I finish all the Road Rage and Marked Man events I'll probably switch to something more zippy where strength isn't as big a factor.
I really enjoyed the previous Burnouts but Paradise is one of the most fun racing games I have ever played.
I can't recommend it enough, especially considering the $20 price.
I'm not saying it's a bad game. And it's grown on me since I first started playing it. I'd recommend it but there are certain aspects of it that I find rather frustrating. A bit less frustrating with the ability to retry events but still some parts that really annoy me. $20 is a good deal though and if anyone had interest in previous ones they should get Paradise. I did see one review where they said the demo wasn't really representative of the game as a whole so if that's the only reason you haven't picked it up I'd just ignore that and give it a shot. To be honest it's about the only decent game (ie one that's held my interest) I've found on the 360 so far. And I'm not really a big racing game fan in general.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I would buy this for 20$.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Not to mention if you only have a few events left and they are spread out all over. Then you had to drive aimlessly to get to them. To me it just seems like wasted time when you just want to get in, play a few events, then go off and do something else.
Once you know the shortcuts, it takes only a couple of minutes to get from one end of the city to the other.
There's so much you can do in going from event to event... try to break some road rules, see how far you can drive into oncoming traffic before crashing, find some new shortcuts.

And I suck at stunt runs. I must not be doing it right because never won one. I get like.. 2,000 points or something. It's probably my vehicle as I'm still using the Krieger Pioneer SUV thingie.
The Pioneer is an aggression car... not exactly the best for stunt runs.
Try a Hunter Vegas or Ikusa GT. The key in a stunt run is to get your multiplier up and string together stunts. Crash signs, hit barrel roll jumps and superjumps, etc. Drive around, explore the area where the stunt run starts and plan your route. Boost between jumps/stunts so your combos don't time out.

My current goal is to do a wheelie lap of Paradise City. Not really close yet but I do have several +4 mile wheelies. :)
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I got the 1.7 update. Some of the changes are nice. Being able to restart or retry an event is much better than what it was originally when you either had to drive back to the start if you wanted to redo.

The motorcycles are ok I guess. I'm not very good at controlling them though. I usually overcorrect one way then go all squirrely and crash into something. And while I can see what they were doing with the day/night events I'm not sure I really like that when you have to keep driving to the other side of the map to do another event. They are a good way to get familiar with the roads though as the crashes only last a second or two and you can zip all over. Not a bad addition for free I suppose!

One change I don't like, over the unpatched version, is the radio now seems muffled when in the behind-the-vehicle view. At least with the vehicle I was using. While that's more 'realistic' it's basically pretty lame and makes me just want to turn off the songs altogether. Which isn't a big deal as the overall selection is a bt weak to begin with. They even edited Paradise City to remove the words "gas chamber" and "cigarette" which made me take it right out of the playlist. I mean the rating is 10+ but still... Darn censoring nazis!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Good to see some conversation about this game here, I have been kinda on the fence over what I want to buy as my 1 racing game. It was between Wipeout HD and this, and I think I'm gonna grab burnout. I've heard a lot of people saying they like it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Figured out stunt runs. Pretty easy really just keep your speed down so you don't crash looking for things to do and boost every 5 seconds or so. Originally I was trying to drive fast everywhere thinking I only had 2 minutes total and usually crashed. I didn't know that boosting reset the clock thingie. The only real thing that eludes me now is figuring out how/where to do a double barrel roll.

I think there's only 3 more achievements I need other then all the ones for online events. When I created my Live account I did it on the wrong profile and don't feel like doing all that stuff over again. Some of those billboards are just annoying to get. Sure would be nice if there was an easy way to move that stuff to another profile but then I guess everyone would just use ones created by other people. Dang cheaters messing it up for everyone!

Oh, and still don't really care for the Showtime thing. Even though I beat them all. Bring back Crashbreaker events please!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I found this for $10 at Target a couple of weeks ago.

I gotta say, this is fucking awesome. I really didn't like the demo because you had so many barriers holding you into a pretty small area. By simply removing those barriers, this is a whole new game. I also really like the patches that have gone into this. You can tell a huge difference between how your starter car handles before and after the patch.

I play in first person mode and the speed is so great that you kind of space out a bit after awhile.

Best 10 dollar game I have ever bought. It's highly addictive and I tend to sit down to play for 10 minutes and it turns into hours.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I tried it a few times in first-person and didn't really like it much. Especially on events like takedowns (actual name eludes me at the moment) where it's helpful to see other cars as they are trying to pass you so you can push them into the wall.

The motorcycle add-on was alright but felt a bit out of place with the rest of the game overall.

Definitely worth $10 though if someone likes driving games and can find it for that price. I got my second Elite license (on other profile) and haven't really touched it since as there's not much left to do after that and I don't care about online play at all.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Big Surf Island expansion coming this Thursday. $13.00 Seems like it could provide a decent amount of entertainment for the money.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah, I'll be getting that. It's a good price point.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I did eventually pick up Big Surf Island. Having completed all the things to do in there I think a better price point would have been $10 rather than $13 but overall still worth it and was definitely more value than the Cops and Robbers addon for the same price. I do wish it would have been larger though and/or have more events.

Also the Dust Storm Superturbo, which you get for doing the Dust Storm burning route, is one of the best all around cars in the game imo. So if I were just new to this game I would immediately buy the island, win that car, then go back to the mainland to do all of the smashes and jumps and such.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Picked up the game today for 20$. So.much..fun.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I put this in the same category as the rock band / guitar hero games. You're never really going to "finish" the game since it has so much replay value. Great game for sure, and a steal at 20$.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well I wouldn't say you can never finish. There's a point where you unlock everything there is to unlock and not really anything to do but drive around. That will take awhile though if you do all the online challenges. Definitely worth $20 though unless you absolutely hate driving games of any sort.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Just a heads up that if anyone was thinking of buying this at some point... You can get the game and all the DLC for $30. Or, if you already have the game you can pick up the complete DLC for $20. This is for the PS3 and as far as I know it's only good until the end of the month.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Some freeee DLC for today.
In an effort to pay tribute to the memory of writer, actor and director Harold Ramis, Burnout Paradise developer Criterion Games made a pack of downloadable add-on cars free today on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The Legendary Car Collection, which comes with four cars inspired by famous vehicles from movies and television shows, usually costs $4.99. It is available free on the Xbox Games Store worldwide, and on the PlayStation Store in North America. One of the cars in the DLC pack is the Hunter Manhattan Spirit, Criterion's take on the Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters (1984), which Ramis starred in and co-wrote.

"Harold Ramis was a comedy genius. He inspired us. To honour this legend, Burnout Paradise Legendary Cars are free today," Criterion tweeted this morning.
Link to PS3 version if you want to tag it from the PSN web store.

RIP Harold.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I double-dipped and picked this up for the PS4 which came out on Friday. Just because in the past 10 years there haven't been any racing games that have held my interest. I'm not sure if I'll get into it like I did last gen (Got 100% on the 360 version and also Platinumed the PS3 version!) but it should be fun to jump in when I have a half hour or something.

Not a bad package for $40 as it comes with all the DLC.

--