WTB New Console: PS3 or X360

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

WTB New Console: PS3 or X360

Post by archeiron »

I am looking for more information to compare and contrast the latest generation of consoles.

From what I have gathered, there is no question that the X360 has the superior selection of games today, and more content available online through XBox Live. Sadly, it also depends upon an external HDD, an external HD-DVD drive (increased clutter), and is prone to hardware failure. For Sony's part, the PS3 seems to have the lighter selection of games and much lighter content online, but may have an edge in hardware capabilities, and disc storage for games.

Do you all have information to add?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: WTB New Console: PS3 or X360

Post by Aslanna »

I have neither but if I had to buy one today I'd probably go for the 360. However my preferred option would be to wait until the new hardware revision for the 360 is released and see if reliability gets any better. If they didn't that would probably sway me more towards the PS3. Sure Microsoft extended the warranty for the RRoD but reports are now that machine turnaround is taking 6 weeks. Having a machine you can't use is a bit pointless.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

360 elite, keep it vertical and don't move it around. i love mine.

coworker of mine has both (he won the ps3 in a contest) and he claims to like the ps3 better for backwards compatibility (he has no ps3 games) so i completely discount his opinion... i have no desire to play old titles.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

archeiron wrote: Sadly, it also depends upon an external HDD, an external HD-DVD drive (increased clutter), and is prone to hardware failure.
Few things:

The 360 doesn't have an external HDD that I know of, and as long as you get one the non-core system, yours will have an internal HDD that should suffice for all your needs.

The HD-DVD drive is currently only for playing HD-DVD movies. If you're buying a current gen console to also play HD-content, yes, this would be needed and would add clutter. If you are just playing games, this add on is completely useless. Also, if you do not have an HDTV, HD-DVD and Blu-ray offer near zero benefits.

Hardware failures? Yeah, the 360 definitely has problems (as noted above by other people).

I think the most important decision when choosing a console for games is: Which system is going to have the most games which I want to play? I bought an 360 a year ago on the basis that it would allow me to play Halo 3, as well as up-converting Halo and Halo 2 to 720p. I have almost bought a PS3 quite a few times, but it always comes down to: Are there any games out or coming out soon which I will want to play enough to own the system? With the PS3, the answer has been no.
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

Aslanna wrote:I have neither but if I had to buy one today I'd probably go for the 360. However my preferred option would be to wait until the new hardware revision for the 360 is released and see if reliability gets any better. If they didn't that would probably sway me more towards the PS3. Sure Microsoft extended the warranty for the RRoD but reports are now that machine turnaround is taking 6 weeks. Having a machine you can't use is a bit pointless.
Actually, turn around time is about 2-3 weeks total. I shipped mine off and they received it 3 days later. I got an email saying they are shipping it back about a week and a couple days after they received it, and it took 3 days to reach me. I have to say I'm pretty satisfied with the timeframe. I don't know what all they do to correct the RRoD issue, but I'm hoping they fix it right and I won't have to worry about the thing breaking anytime in the near future.

Also, my opinion is definately 360. There are just so many great games coming out for it, xbox live is a blast, and with the newer elites etc, I think you won't run into the stability issues so much.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kryshade wrote:
Aslanna wrote:I have neither but if I had to buy one today I'd probably go for the 360. However my preferred option would be to wait until the new hardware revision for the 360 is released and see if reliability gets any better. If they didn't that would probably sway me more towards the PS3. Sure Microsoft extended the warranty for the RRoD but reports are now that machine turnaround is taking 6 weeks. Having a machine you can't use is a bit pointless.
Actually, turn around time is about 2-3 weeks total. I shipped mine off and they received it 3 days later. I got an email saying they are shipping it back about a week and a couple days after they received it, and it took 3 days to reach me. I have to say I'm pretty satisfied with the timeframe. I don't know what all they do to correct the RRoD issue, but I'm hoping they fix it right and I won't have to worry about the thing breaking anytime in the near future.

Also, my opinion is definately 360. There are just so many great games coming out for it, xbox live is a blast, and with the newer elites etc, I think you won't run into the stability issues so much.
When was that? I was talking since the new warranty went into effect. I've read, albeit it 'rumors' that turnaround time is now a lot longer.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/xbox-360 ... 293499.php
Rumor has it that a spike in Xbox 360 returns, both valid and not so much, have lead to an increase in the return time for repaired Xbox 360s.

I've heard that the turnaround time for Xbox 360 repairs has skyrocketed to as long as six weeks and if you do the math, that could mean that some loyal 360 fans may be console-less when the Halo 3 launches. Talk about bad juju
Sounds like if you got yours in 2-3 weeks and you sent it in lately you're lucky. Either way I personally wouldn't buy a 360 now because sending it back for any sort of repair wouldn't make me happy regardless of how long it took to get it back.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

According to his recent posts about the return, it wasn't very long ago (early to mid-August?)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The PS3 has no games. The one game that's been released in the past few months that isn't on the 360 rates a whopping 61 on metacritic.

I've turned my PS3 on twice since I purchased it. The controller blows (triggers suck horribly and the entire controller is cheap and the plastic "creaks")

I honestly don't know wtf people are doing with their PS3s right now. There's not even any demos to play with worthwhile and the online store/download method is complete crap compared to Xbox Live. The dashboard and experience in general is extremely underwhelming.

The games that do come out for the PS3 are inferior to the same versions that are released on 360 (Madden 30fps on PS3 vs 60fps on 360). The "game" that did come out for the PS3 "Lair" suffers from frustrating controls and horrible frame rates.

You'll be able to play a version of GTA4 lacking the downloadable content of the 360 version sometime in March of next year or whenever they manage to finish the PS3 version as the 360 is being help up because of it, and might be able to play a Final Fantasy XIII around March or later of next year using an engine that must suck (the White Engine) as Square has licensed the Unreal 3 engine for future games.

Have fun with your PS3.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Winnow wrote:The PS3 has no games. The one game that's been released in the past few months that isn't on the 360 rates a whopping 61 on metacritic.
No.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/warhawk

Warhawk's getting some good reviews, although it is an online only game. I don't see how that would a problem for many people on this board though.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Warhawk has been having all sorts of problems through. From the devs wiping people's play records this weekend to stats not saving at all. Their Warhawk server clusters (racks and racks of PS3's no less) have been down sporadically over the weekend and today as well.

Feel free to read the outrage here.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta ... id=warhawk

The phrase "You get what you pay for" comes to my mind. I've never had any issues like this on XBL.

Check out the "Let's talk xbox" thread (http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 47&t=20983). Thereès some good info there.

I look at it this way, even with the RRoD thing, 360 owners are still praising how great a system it is. I've lucked out and mine hasn't shown me the eye yet. I expect it to happen and when it does I'll ship it back, get my replacement unit and keep on gaming happily.

I'll echo the sentiment above however, wait till reports of the 65nm are out and find out how to differentiate the boxes. I'm not sure if the Zephyr boards that are out there currently are failing as frequently as the original board however the Falcon revision is the one you should be aiming for.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I'm currently in the middle of a repair session right now - it sucks.

Bought my 360 in november, had it bust in August. The sad part is I never had a single issue with it - all of sudden in only 2 days it went from flawless to RROD. Ever since the big RROD coverage started hitting months ago, I was being super careful when I moved it, where I stored it, etc.

At this point I'm expecting a full 6 week boning before I get it back (or another one for that matter). I've heard plenty of stories about how people don't even get the same 360, and instead get a used one in shittier condition that shows the RROD immediately.

It also pisses me off that I know jack shit regarding how long it's going to take - the xbox service site never worked for me, and still doesn't show my registered 360.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

Aslanna wrote:
When was that? I was talking since the new warranty went into effect. I've read, albeit it 'rumors' that turnaround time is now a lot longer.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/xbox-360 ... 293499.php
Rumor has it that a spike in Xbox 360 returns, both valid and not so much, have lead to an increase in the return time for repaired Xbox 360s.

I've heard that the turnaround time for Xbox 360 repairs has skyrocketed to as long as six weeks and if you do the math, that could mean that some loyal 360 fans may be console-less when the Halo 3 launches. Talk about bad juju
Sounds like if you got yours in 2-3 weeks and you sent it in lately you're lucky. Either way I personally wouldn't buy a 360 now because sending it back for any sort of repair wouldn't make me happy regardless of how long it took to get it back.
I got my 360 back last Friday, so it's definately been after the whole extended warranty thing. I should note that they do say "Please allow 4-6 weeks to receive your xbox back". I'm guessing that's more of a disclaimer than an actual turn around time. I don't know how lucky I got, but I'm not complaining. Will be interesting to see how fast Rellix gets his back to see what the norm is.
Mr Bacon wrote:I'm currently in the middle of a repair session right now - it sucks.

Bought my 360 in november, had it bust in August. The sad part is I never had a single issue with it - all of sudden in only 2 days it went from flawless to RROD. Ever since the big RROD coverage started hitting months ago, I was being super careful when I moved it, where I stored it, etc.

At this point I'm expecting a full 6 week boning before I get it back (or another one for that matter). I've heard plenty of stories about how people don't even get the same 360, and instead get a used one in shittier condition that shows the RROD immediately.

It also pisses me off that I know jack shit regarding how long it's going to take - the xbox service site never worked for me, and still doesn't show my registered 360.
Mine was the same way. Never had the first problem with it... was playing GH2 one day and it started freezing after like 30-90 seconds of gameplay. Turned it off, turned it back on and boom... RROD.

In regards to tracking it. You have to actually register it on the site using your serial number. I had registered mine previosuly too, but went to the "register a product" link and put in my serial number and it showed the progress from then on. You don't actually get any sort of update after it arrives at the repair center though until they ship it back out.

Let us know how long it takes for you.. I'm curious to know!
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Thanks for the feedback.

It seems like the consensus is that I should get an X360 based upon the existing and soon to be released content; going to sleep on it for a couple of week since I hate buying things that I don't need or end up using, but I will probably buy an Elite system. I will keep you all posted! :)
Waikiki
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: FeistyPea
PSN ID: clmolnar

Post by Waikiki »

Currently, If I were buying an Xbox360 I would wait around for the 65nm die shrink consoles to come to market and hope in the meantime that MS fixes the horrendous failure rate. I think you are making the right choice with the Elite.

Conversely, If I were buying a PS3, I would buy a 60GB model immediately before they are gone forever! I think the Emotion Engine is a very valuable component if you are looking for almost full backwards compatibility. HDD size is inconsequential as they are very easy to upgrade, the manual gives directions.
archeiron wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

It seems like the consensus is that I should get an X360 based upon the existing and soon to be released content; going to sleep on it for a couple of week since I hate buying things that I don't need or end up using, but I will probably buy an Elite system. I will keep you all posted! :)
PS3 has some very exciting games coming out at the end of this year and the beginning of next. You should do some research on both consoles exclusive titles coming out in the next year, and see which one has the most attractive ones based on your own opinions. Titles that are being released multi-platform might have small differences here and there, but you will still be able to play the game on either console. If you are buying the console solely for gaming, the exclusive titles are the ones you should be most focused on in my opinion.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Just for reference, I requested a box for repair on 8/18/07. The box they sent me arrived 8/24/07. i dropped the box off at UPS on 8/26/07. it arrived in texas on 8/30/07.

Can't count that in the "4-6 weeks" but right off the bat, that's 10 days of dicking around (12, but 2 on my part).
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Mr Bacon wrote:Just for reference, I requested a box for repair on 8/18/07. The box they sent me arrived 8/24/07. i dropped the box off at UPS on 8/26/07. it arrived in texas on 8/30/07.

Can't count that in the "4-6 weeks" but right off the bat, that's 10 days of dicking around (12, but 2 on my part).

Were you not able to exchange it with the retailer you purchased it from?
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

dell.com?

why even try when it's completely under warranty with ms?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Mr Bacon wrote:dell.com?

One more benefit to buying local. I walked into Best Buy and exchanged it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
Mr Bacon wrote:dell.com?

One more benefit to buying local. I walked into Best Buy and exchanged it.

Yeah I wanted to get the Elite when it came out, and a friend of mine was itching to buy mine from me - and the only place that had it was Walmart. Their warranty worked just like the MS one (they ship it out somewhere from the store) so I decided I would just go with the MS warranty. Sucks I can't just go to the store, but oh well.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

eh.. i got a 20% discount on some electronics deal dell had going at the time.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Mr Bacon wrote:i dropped the box off at UPS on 8/26/07. it arrived in texas on 8/30/07.
Hey guys, great news!

While UPS says they delivered it on August 30th to the repair center, microsoft just emailed me this a few hours ago!
Dear Tim,
Xbox Customer Support Service Request ID#: ##########
Serial Number:############

We have received your Xbox console at our Service Center.
WTG, 8 days to open a box :(
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

but you saved 20%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think a certain someone is over-stressing the "convenience" of having bought their xbox at Best Buy..
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:I think a certain someone is over-stressing the "convenience" of having bought their xbox at Best Buy..
That's okay, I saved 12% on mine. The other 8% was worth the convenience of walking into Best Buy, swapping my HD onto a new unit, and walking out. I just find it funny that someone is complaining about the wait time for an exchange/repair when they bought a product online.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

it shouldn't take 8 days to open a box, just like you shouldn't wait 8 days at a best buy
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Mr Bacon wrote:
Mr Bacon wrote:i dropped the box off at UPS on 8/26/07. it arrived in texas on 8/30/07.
Hey guys, great news!

While UPS says they delivered it on August 30th to the repair center, microsoft just emailed me this a few hours ago!
Dear Tim,
Xbox Customer Support Service Request ID#: ##########
Serial Number:############

We have received your Xbox console at our Service Center.
WTG, 8 days to open a box :(
That's cause UPS did drop it off in McAllen Texas on the 30th. The 8 day delay of for them to ship the box from that receiving area to Mexico where they really repair those things(or at least take the broken ones out of the box and put the refurb units in).

Just look at where McAllen is in relation to the Mexican Border.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... =addr&om=1
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Mr Bacon wrote:Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
You'll need the following:

as well as

Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

If I am going to choose sometime in the near future, I'd have to go w/ the 360. There's just so much more going on for it as mentioned from live to the sheer number of quality titles available. As far as the HD movie choice goes, for me it's a non-issue as I don't really care all that much about the extras on a disk. Since that's the case, i can get hd movies on demand through my cable. We've just gone down to 1 movie a month at netflix, and we're probably going to nix it altogether because of our watching habits(ir. watch one when we're too lethargic to do anything else).
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

The xbox was delivered to my home Monday, September 17th. I did not receive any prior warning that the xbox was coming, other than the xbox site switching for "xbox received" to "no pending repair."

I'm at school, so I haven't actually gotten to see the condition of the xbox, all i know is they sent me a different 360, manufactured in 2005 (mine was Sept 2006).

Is this going to fuck me over when this one undoubtedly bricks too? Is my 3 year warranty that went through 2009 only good through 2008 now because of the shit they're pulling?

Ugh.. pissed for now.

Turnaround time: 1 month.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Anyone still on the fence, that need a TV as well...bestbuy has a combo offering online for the following:

Halo3 game
Any of the 360 consoles
Samsung DLP tv

Those three items in your cart get you $410 off the total. You can put it together with the premium system, halo3, 50" 720p DLP set, it comes out to less than $1200.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Top Three Rated 360 Games:

97 Halo 3
96 BioShock
94 Gears of War

Top Three Rated PS3 Games:

93 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The (Available on 360, rated 94)
88 Ninja Gaiden Sigma (The next in the series, Ninja Gaiden II, will be exclusive to the 360)
88 NHL 08 (Available on 360, rated 88)

eep!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

So I jumped on the sale I posted above...the xbox really is a nice machine. The games I borrowed from a friend run very smooth and the graphics look fantastic on the DLP set.

Question though, which way do you guys set your xbox up? I put it on a shoe box, outside of the AV cabinet when in use, on its side. Figured this grants maximum air flow without the risk of scratching game disks into uselessness.

Next item...boy this motha gets hot hot hot after an hour of Halo2, and old xbox1 game. By this, I mean the bottom is very warm to the touch.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

they 360 they gave me back has issues reading games.. and reads them as DVD movies instead. :roll:
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Mr Bacon wrote:they 360 they gave me back has issues reading games.. and reads them as DVD movies instead. :roll:
Don't you just want to scream at the TV when you get that error?? Sucks OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS they sent you back a defective 360.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

But since it's still under warranty it doesn't cost you anything!!

That's sarcasm just in case anyone missed it. I find it interesting that some people defend the 360's reliability by stating you can just bring it back to the store or send it in and they'll fix it. A month turn around and still stuck with a defective unit? Sorry but that's unacceptable. At least that's one thing Sony got right with the PS3.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:But since it's still under warranty it doesn't cost you anything!!

That's sarcasm just in case anyone missed it. I find it interesting that some people defend the 360's reliability by stating you can just bring it back to the store or send it in and they'll fix it. A month turn around and still stuck with a defective unit? Sorry but that's unacceptable. At least that's one thing Sony got right with the PS3.
The option to take it back to the store is in no way me promoting the console's reliability. It was me pointing out a reason NOT to buy online! Teh Intarweb is so uncool.
Ryuda_69
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ryuda_69 »

this may be a lil off topic, but i was wondering if anyone had an idea on how to find out if a 360 elite has the 65nm chipset inside.

i'm selling my current 360 to a friend and then using that cash to purchase a new 360 elite. i understand that the new premium packages have the 65nm chipsets, and you can tell because they have hdmi included... but how can you tell if the elite system has the new chipset since they already have an hdmi port? is there anyway to figure this out without having to physically open the box and check? cause i'm sure the retail clerk won't let me do that.

any help would be appreciated. i'm shooting for the new chipset in hopes that i dont have to deal with those heating issues, especially after dropping $450 on this machine.

Thanks in advance~
Ryuda Shiro
70 Scourge Knight Of Kratos
(Retired)

"Where''s my mothaF****n change???"
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

actually i've only had the issue with one of my games, and i can get it to work 90% of the time without a hitch.

better than a fucking freezing problem.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Mr Bacon wrote:actually i've only had the issue with one of my games, and i can get it to work 90% of the time without a hitch.

Don't want to jinx you, but that's how the problem started when it happened to my first 360 - and it ended up happening to all of my games 75% of the time. Hopefully yours doesn't get any worse though!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Mr Bacon wrote:actually i've only had the issue with one of my games, and i can get it to work 90% of the time without a hitch.

Watch out if you play any original xbox games.... Sueven and I fired up Halo 2 over the weekend, and instead of getting the dvd error, the 360 just froze on the loading screen. Worked after a few tries, just like the 360 games.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Ryuda_69 wrote:this may be a lil off topic, but i was wondering if anyone had an idea on how to find out if a 360 elite has the 65nm chipset inside.

i'm selling my current 360 to a friend and then using that cash to purchase a new 360 elite. i understand that the new premium packages have the 65nm chipsets, and you can tell because they have hdmi included... but how can you tell if the elite system has the new chipset since they already have an hdmi port? is there anyway to figure this out without having to physically open the box and check? cause i'm sure the retail clerk won't let me do that.

any help would be appreciated. i'm shooting for the new chipset in hopes that i dont have to deal with those heating issues, especially after dropping $450 on this machine.

Thanks in advance~
I don't think that there's any 65nm machines out yet.

Looking on the box, you'll probably see "XBox 360 Elite Falcon" on the box. The Zephyr on the box means it's got HDMI and newer cooling additions but 90nm processors.

Also, Falcon only had 65nm processors(all 3 of em). The GPU is still 90nm.
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

My H3 should show up today. Xbox 360 showed up yesterday. Had a hell of a time with M$ though. The URL they printed in the accompanying documentation to register your new Xbox 360 doesn't work. When you go out to support.xbox.com, you can register it there though. Unless, of course, you happen to live in Georgia. Don't fucking ask me why, but it seems that Microsoft doesn't consider Georgia a state in the United States. It's left out completely. But yeah, we've got Guam and all the protectorates in there.

So 30 minutes later, I'm still on the phone with retard morons from India who don't know their head from their asshole and finally have it registered. Issue #1, done. Time to handle issue #2: there was no god damn Xbox Live Gold 1-month free card in the Xbox 360 Elite package. So I spend an eternity on hold while this idiot "researches" the issue and talks to his manager. He tells me I need to deal with it at the retailer...except how the HELL is it the retailer's job to control what Microsoft puts in the box? So we go round and round on that and he finally transfers me to his manager...idiot picks up again and tells me that he talked to his manager (wtf?) and that Microsoft policy is that I have to go back to the retailer to deal with it.

So I get Amazon.com to call me and I get Ms. India who also doesn't know jack fucking shit about the products or even how to look the fucking thing up on their own GOD DAMN website. Yeah. I have to walk her through to the product and point out that the PRODUCT DESCRIPTION clearly indicates that there is 1 month free Live Gold. So she proceeds to tell me (after a 5 minute hold time while she tries to get her head out of her asshole) that it should be an activation thing and there shouldn't be any card. Now, I just got off the phone with Microsoft and I had already talked to a couple of friends of mine, so I know this is NOT the case. After going around again for another 10 minutes, they're shipping me a return label for the first console and a second Xbox 360 Elite to replace it.

I don't want a replacement Xbox 360 god dammit, I want my 1 month free. How hard is that to understand?

I have to say this is the worst customer service experience in my entire life.
Last edited by Vaemas on September 25, 2007, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Vaemas »

Edit: double post (wtf?)
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Is http://www.amazon.com/360-Elite-System- ... 325&sr=8-1 the link you're referring to and is this the description?
One-month subscription to Xbox LIVE Gold: An Xbox LIVE Gold Membership provides a complete online entertainment experience. Subscribe to this premium service and engage in competitive online multiplayer matches, tailor your matchmaking via feedback and accomplishments, chat with more than one person at a time, and take advantage of unique privileges in Xbox LIVE Marketplace and Xbox LIVE Arcade.
If so then they're right. There shouldn't be a live gold card in there. When you create a new Live account through the 360 UI, your first month with that new account will be gold automatically. No need to enter a string of numbers from a card.

Now if this isn't the URL and the one you're talking about says that they would specifically include a card with second free month then they did screw you.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, there is no card. Whenever you start a new Live account, you get a free month of Gold. I noticed that when I started a Euro account for the Chromehounds demo. Each new account I created had a free month.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I know i'm going to have to send this one back eventually - but i'm going to hold on to it until december.. going out of town
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Vaemas »

Animalor wrote:Is http://www.amazon.com/360-Elite-System- ... 325&sr=8-1 the link you're referring to and is this the description?

If so then they're right. There shouldn't be a live gold card in there. When you create a new Live account through the 360 UI, your first month with that new account will be gold automatically. No need to enter a string of numbers from a card.

Now if this isn't the URL and the one you're talking about says that they would specifically include a card with second free month then they did screw you.
Yes, that's the link. Perhaps they did change it...but here's the thing: the Xbox support representative told me to look for a piece of paper or card in the box. Additionally, there was no other reference in any of the documentation related to the 1 month free Xbox LIVE Gold service.

I guess those of us with already existing Xbox LIVE accounts don't get that one month upgrade to Gold.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

That's the problem. You havta sign up for a new Live account to get the month. Existing ones don't get it =/

Does kinda suck for your situation...