The Official PS3 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: The Official PS3 thread!

Post by Fairweather Pure »

miir wrote:Not really sure how relevant that is in a video games forum as SCE is actually a money making division of Sony.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

The need a Steve Jobs type of leader to step in, clean house, and focus the company
Jobs only got lucky with one device...
Apple's current success is based solely on the iphone platform.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

-- The likelihood of a strong recovery in Sony's earnings is low, due to a massive erosion of prices, falling demand, and harsh competition in Sony's mainstay businesses.

-- Standard & Poor's lowered the long-term corporate credit and debt ratings on Sony to 'BBB+' and removed the ratings from CreditWatch. We affirmed the 'A-2' short-term corporate credit rating.

-- The outlook is negative, reflecting our view that we could lower the ratings further if we see no meaningful sign of recovery in Sony's earnings within six to 12 months.

Standard & Poor's Ratings Services today lowered its long-term corporate credit and senior unsecured debt ratings on Sony Corp. to 'BBB+' from 'A-' and removed the ratings from CreditWatch, where we placed them Nov. 4, 2011. The outlook on the long-term corporate credit rating is negative. We base the downgrade on our view that severe circumstances in Sony's mainstay electronics businesses make a strong recovery in earnings unlikely. We base the negative outlook on the long-term corporate credit rating on our expectation that we could lower the ratings further if we see no meaningful sign of a recovery in Sony's earnings within six to 12 months. We affirmed the 'A-2' short-term corporate credit rating on the company.

Sony's TV business has made repeated losses since fiscal 2004 (ended March 31, 2005). The company expects to incur a net loss of JPY220 billion in fiscal 2011. Standard & Poor's believes the major reason for the extended losses is Sony's strategy to aggressively expand its global market share despite strong competition, a massive erosion of prices, and its high cost structure compared with overseas competitors. Massive pressure on the prices of Sony's key products, such as flat-panel TVs and mobile handsets, is likely to continue, and the company's position in the global market is under strong pressure amid severe competition from Korean manufacturers and emerging Chinese companies. In our view, an enhanced focus on profits, rather than on expanding sales, and efforts to lower costs are likely to reduce losses in its TV business. However, circumstances are so severe that Standard & Poor's believes it will be difficult for Sony to return its TV business to profitability even in fiscal 2013. Therefore, we see a low likelihood of a strong recovery in Sony's earnings in the next two years or so.

Because of continuing net losses since fiscal 2008, Sony's profitability looks significantly weaker than that of its global industry peers. In addition, we believe its ratio of adjusted debt to EBITDA is likely to remain high for the next one to two years, even for companies in the 'BBB' category. Standard & Poor's also believes Sony's adjusted total debt to capital (excluding finance operations) will rise to around 40% as of March 31, 2012, from 35% a year earlier. However, we base our one-notch downgrade on our view that Sony's profitability and financial standing will gradually recover in fiscal 2012 because there will be no repeat of one-off expenses due to floods in Thailand and impairment losses on stockholdings. Also, we believe Sony's strong short-term liquidity (excluding finance operations) continues to support its financial stability.

The outlook on the long-term corporate credit rating on Sony is negative, reflecting our view that we could lower the ratings further if we see no meaningful sign of a recovery in earnings within six to 12 months. We expect strong price erosion and a fall in demand may delay a recovery in earnings in the company's TV segment and lead to further expenses in restructuring.

Sony's progress toward a recovery of earnings in its TV business in the coming six to 12 months will be key to our analysis of the company's credit quality. We may consider lowering the ratings on Sony if we see a likelihood of weak performance in the TV business leading to another net loss in fiscal 2012. Adjusted total debt to capital (excluding finance operations) of above 40% for an extended period would also pressure the ratings. To consider upgrading the company, we would need to see Sony stabilize earnings in its core businesses and show stronger prospects for financial improvement. Given the severity of the business environment, though, we consider the possibility of such an outcome low at present.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/ ... 0120120208
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

OH NOES A BBB+
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Go read a book or watch a movie on Thursday!
The PlayStation Network is About to go Down for a Day

The PlayStation Network undergoes maintenance all the time. Usually, though, it only lasts for 2-4 hours. On Thursday, the network is undergoing some serious maintenance, because it'll be down for most of the American day.

Starting at 8am Pacific and running until an estimated 10pm Pacific, almost everything PlayStation-related that uses the internet will be going offline. That means the PlayStation Store, online multiplayer, signing into accounts, editing accounts and PlayStation Home. If you're signed in once the maintenance starts, you'll be booted out.

You won't even be able to visit the PlayStation Blog for updates, because it'll be down as well. In fact about the only thing running will be Sony's PlayStation Twitter account, so maybe you can play with your friends on that...
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Jobs only got lucky with one device...
Apple's current success is based solely on the iphone platform.

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

There is nothing funny or clever about posting 6 month old memes.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PlayStation 4 Ditching The Cell Processor, Sources Say, Which Leads to Some Wild Theories.

The PlayStation 4 will not use Sony's Cell processor nor any possible successor to the vaunted chipset that was introduced to the world through the PlayStation 3, gaming industry sources tell Kotaku.

What we're hearing from sources follow a Forbes rumor last week that chip-maker AMD would make the graphics chip for a PS4, a shift from the PS3's use of a graphics chip from AMD rival Nvidia.

The abandonment of the Cell architecture would thrill the many game developers who have struggled with the complex chipset, but it could also be viewed as the admission of a mistake.

Cell was the pet project of PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi, who dreamed that the chip—a "Power Processing Element" married to eight "Synergistic Processing Elements"—would make the PS3 the most impressive gaming console ever. He spoke of a home equipped with multiple devices that were powered by Cell, all of them linking to each other to increase the computational power driving any of the devices.

Cell was not the revolution Sony hoped and hyped that it would be. It also never managed to make the PS3 appear to be significantly more powerful than the year-older Xbox 360. That could have been the Cell's fault or simply the result of development decisions that compelled game creators to make their games run on both the PS3 and the generally-more-popular Xbox 360.

But with no Cell or Cell successor in the PS4, what would Sony do? Here's where the reporting turns to speculation. One theory I've heard is that AMD will provide both the CPU and GPU for the PS4, meaning that AMD, not Sony, would engineer the main processing and graphics chips for the machine. Should AMD be doing that, they could go with the AMD Fusion architecture, which puts CPU and GPU on the same chip. AMD has already been putting chips like this out (one was considered for the MacBook Air), which would enable Sony to turn to developers and say: you could be working with the PS4 architecture right now; just work on an AMD Llano chip or something. Would developers like that? They'd have to prefer it to Cell and—what do you know—here's one of gaming history's best programmers, id's John Carmack, saying in an interview with PC Perspective last year that AMD Fusion-style chip architecture is "almost a forgone conclusion" for the future of computing.

A Sony rep declined to comment on this story, citing the company's policy not to comment on rumors and speculation.

Sony hasn't even acknowledged the existence of the PlayStation 4 let alone detailed the guts within it. But we're beginning to hear trickles of information about Sony's next gen. It's all vaguer than the talk for next Xbox, code-named Durango, which Microsoft has been showing to publisher and developer partners.

The lack of chatter on PS4 would suggest that Sony will once again put its next console out after Microsoft. But if the chipset for the PS4 is actually one that already exists, then aspiring PS4 developers might find themselves capable of ramping up for this new machine faster than expected. And if that happens, the code-named Durango, probable for 2013, might have a sparring partner from Sony sooner than we thought.
Go ahead, toss that backwards compatibility right out the window! No chance your PS3 games will play on the PS4 if this turns out to be true. I'd still do it if I were Sony because the PS3 is/was/always will be, a huge clusterfuck of fail for the company. I wonder if the PS4 controllers will have rumble!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well current PS3s don't have backwards compatibility either so...

And who knows.. Xbox might not have it either.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Well current PS3s don't have backwards compatibility either so...
Mine does. You gotta be quick with Sony or they take away the "feature"!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I can't think of one instance where I have had the desire to play a PS2 game on PS3. However, there are quite a few PS3 games that I would likely want to play post-PS4 release. Still not a huge deal, as I have a few open HDMI inputs on my receiver....would need a bigger power strip though. Oh, and I hope the PS4 is not a bubble-hump form factor like PS3...I like to stack shit on top of other shit!

As for "Durango", if it performs and looks better, and isn't so fucking noisy (I have a 1st gen), I may skip Sony altogether, as their wireless, patching and dashboard leave much to be desired.

(I like the controllers though!)
en kærlighed småkager
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

My wife and I had several of the first run PS3s specifically for the backwards compatability. They all started having problems middle of last year and we replaced them one by one. I miss the backwards compatability a fair amount, but most of the games I want to replay have been comming out on either emulators or the PS Store, so meh.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Go read the book you didn't read Thursday!
As you may recall, we had postponed our scheduled PlayStation Network maintenance session from last Thursday to a time to be announced. It is now determined that maintenance will take place tomorrow (Sunday, March 4).

This significant PSN maintenance period is expected to start at just after noon Pacific and will last for several hours, until approximately 2am Pacific on Monday, March 5. Unlike typical maintenance events, consumers who are already signed-in to PSN will be signed-out, and consumers will be unable to sign in for the duration of the maintenance window. During this time, users won’t be able to access the PlayStation Store, PlayStation Home, Account Management or play online
I like how "several hours" in Sony speak = 14 hours in the real world.

Is a Sunday really the best time for this? Apparently it is!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

360 Clam > PS3 Striped special outfits

http://kotaku.com/5891522/lollipop-chai ... /gallery/1
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

There's been a lot of chatter lately about Sony and Microsoft's rumored next-generation consoles, but the only company that actually announced its next hardware is Nintendo. In our time spent with the Wii U, it's obvious this console packs far more graphics power than its predecessor, and appears to be on par with the Xbox 360 or PS3. However, we're starting to hear conflicting reports as to just how the Wii U stacks up. Several anonymous developers have told Gamesindustry International that the Wii U is less powerful than the aging Xbox 360 and PS3. One source said "some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up."
Way to bring a console that's "almost" as powerful as the six year old X-box/PS3 generation consoles. On top of it being underpowered for any future growth, it looks like it was designed for short bus kids to play with .

What an ugly ergonimic nightmare. Who the fuck is going to hold that thing in ther hands for any period of time longer than the 15 minutes it takes for your hands to cramp up?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

This isn't the Official Wii-U thread!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I thought this bump would be about PS3 users able to stream Amazon DD movies. That's a pretty big deal to me. Score one for PS3!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sony earning statement came out recently. $2.8 billion loss in the Consumer Products & Services division.
Sales decreased 18.5% year-on-year (a 14% decrease on a constant currency basis) to 3,136.8 billion yen (38,253 million U.S. dollars). Sales to outside customers decreased 18.9% year-on-year. This was primarily due to a decrease in sales of LCD televisions, PCs, digital imaging products including digital cameras, and the game business.
The decrease in the game business reflects lower sales of PlayStation®3 hardware due to a strategic price reduction and lower sales of PlayStation®2 due to platform migration.
Isn't a strategic price reduction supposed to increase sales of hardware? If not it doesn't sound like a very god strategy!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony cracks me up. What a sad story they've become lately.
Sony is Suing Kevin Butler

Following a bizarre turn of events and a highly unlikely TV commercial, actor Jerry Lambert - for years the "face" of the PlayStation brand - is being sued, along with Bridgestone, by none other than Sony itself.

Despite having made something of a name for himself playing the fictional PlayStation executive Kevin Butler, last month Lambert appeared in an advertisement for Bridgestone tyres playing a competitor's product, the Nintendo Wii.

Sony is suing both companies over trademark infringement, I'd wager for their use of Lambert - synonymous now with the PlayStation brand - in a scenario involving video games that aren't PlayStation games. It would be crazy if the fine print of Lambert's contract with Sony didn't include some mention of not being seen to endorse competing products.
One of the few good/funny things that came from Sony was the Kevin Butler commercials. Now he's screwing Sony over by doing something like this.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

By taking a job with to advertise a tire company? Sony is just being stupid.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Since its launch way back in 2005, the Xbox 360 has been purchased a grand total of 70 million times, according to IGN (confirmed by Microsoft). This figure is up by nearly three million units since last April, when the global total rung up at 67.2 million.

Conceptualizing that many Xboxes is kind of hard to do, so let's put that figure into a ridiculous, arbitrary context. An olympic-sized swimming pool, for instance, holds about 424,935 Xboxes, assuming a pool volume of 88,528 cubic feet and Non-S model 360s. In order to hold all the Xboxes sold in the world so far, it would require 165 olympic-sized swimming pools, with that 165th pool having a tiny little bit of space left over for some controllers and a copy of Condemned: Criminal Origins.

To put it another way, if every Xbox sold in the world were put on one side of a giant scale, 2,156 blue whales would need to be placed on the other side for it to balance properly, assuming a median weight of 250,000 pounds per whale. That's kind of a lot of Xboxes, you guys.
Awww, the PS3 sold less than that (63 Million)...less than half of the number of PS2s that were sold (150M+). Fail!

It's been a fun thread. This ranks right behind that magic neutrino thread that changed everything we know about nothing in the blink of an eye. Hoping kyou has enough suckage left to muster up enough $$ for the next generation.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Why did Sony change the PlayStation Store? Now it looks like Windows 8. Which is to say hideous.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I've never been a fan of how their store is set up, haven't seen it recently though. Not a fan of the store on Xbox either, though.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I kinda liked the old store layout, but it was starting to look a bit dated.
New one looks nice and slick.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The problem is there is a lot of wasted space. A lot of them times I'm only seeing 6-8 'tiles' and the text is so large you can barely see the description so you have to keep selecting them to see more info. If there was a way to setup our own layout or adjust the text size it would be a lot more functional for me.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'd like it to be more simple for both of them to be honest. Games/add ons, etc should be organized by genre, and I really don't even need a picture, just a good organized way to look at things.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Sounds like a win on the PS3 which I didn't expect:

http://blog.netflix.com/2012/12/playsta ... tflix.html
PlayStation 3 Leads Living Room Netflix Viewing
We’re proud to stream TV shows and movies from Netflix onto nearly every Internet connected screen, from pocket-sized screens on phones to very large HDTVs. We’re also passionate about product innovation and continually investing in making the Netflix viewing experience better for our users.

Historically, gaming consoles have been a popular way for consumers to enjoy Netflix. Today we wanted to recognize the PlayStation 3 in particular as a leader in Netflix streaming. In the US and globally, PS3 is the largest TV-connected platform in terms of Netflix viewing. This year, at times, PS3 even surpassed the PC in hours of Netflix enjoyment to become our No. 1 platform overall.

Every PS3 owner can access Netflix directly via the free PlayStation Network and sign-up for Netflix directly from their PS3. The engagement enabled by this easy access combined with the powerful PS3 system capabilities makes PS3 a natural fit for Netflix to develop and deploy our most advanced features first on PS3.

PS3 was the first computer entertainment system to offer Netflix in full 1080p video resolution with 5.1-channel Dolby Digital Plus™ surround sound and to offer post-play, second screen controls, on device sign-up, alternate audio options including subtitles. PS3 is currently the only platform to experience a new voice user interface called “Max” that’s currently being tested. We’ve been able to easily update these features to existing users of the application and continue to update and test new features on a continual basis.

Our sentiment for delivering great living room viewing experiences is shared by Sony:

Jack Tretton, CEO and President of Sony Computer Entertainment America had this to say: “The PlayStation and Netflix communities both share a strong passion for high quality entertainment. Netflix provides a fantastic experience for watching TV shows and movies on PS3, and our joint development will continue to produce innovations for our customers that further demonstrate PS3 as the true home for entertainment in the living room.”

We now have more than 30 million members globally who stream more than a billion hours a month, making us the world’s leading Internet subscription service for enjoying TV shows and movies. We come to work each day dedicated to improving the streaming experience of each member and helping you find and view more great content from Netflix.

Enjoy,Bill
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Well their games suck so people have to use their George Foreman grills for something while their crab hands uncramp.

Even toasters have Netflix now so that's not something that will help PS3 in the long run. Even next year's low end TVs will have Netflix as ethernet and wireless becomes standard built into TVs.

I'm impressed with how often Netflix updates all of the platforms. The PC (browser) and iOS app are outstanding. I just got another update to the Android version on my Nexus 7 so maybe that's good as well now.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

No it's because for the xbox you need a stupid Live Gold account whereas on the PS3 it's free. Other than the Netflix subscription that is. Microsoft better step up their game for the next generation or they'll find themselves losing more subscribers because when it comes to online services Gold is starting to look overpriced for what you get. Which it is.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:No it's because for the xbox you need a stupid Live Gold account whereas on the PS3 it's free.
Bingo
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'll still pay for the functionality of live over what the PS3 currently has. I've turned on my PS3 maybe twice for a total of 3 hours in the last 6 months. I don't give a shit about the free games from the PS Plus, I want cross game chat, invites, party system, etc - that family of functionality that Xbox live gives. If they are still better in that department in the next gen, it will still be where I go for multiplayer games.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

My point is still valid. It's not PS3 vs Xbox for Netflix viewers. It's PS3 vs a shit ton of other options which are increasing, not decreasing.

I'd be more proud of something that's more exclusive to consoles, like a quality online gaming network that doesn't get hacked and go down for several weeks at a time, or not taking away features after release, or having to add basic stuff like rumble because of users being dumbfounded as to why it was removed in the first place. Stuff like that.

That said, Netflix should be free on the Xbox. It's not like they're paying for the bandwidth to provide the service or anything. At the same time, if people are mostly using Netflix on the PS3, it's not making Sony any money. You can buy an Apple TV Puck for 99 if you want to stream Netflix (along with apps, and other streaming services) Even the cheap-ass Wii U can stream Netflix in HD now. The biggest reason this won't be a factor is that higher end TVs include Netflix with cheaper and cheaper TVs are starting to throw it in as well. Most Blu-Ray players include Netflix for the past few years (if anyone uses those still).
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, for Netflix in my opinion pc (media center)>360>pc browser>ps3>everything else.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

I packed up my 360 already, probably for good. The PS3 is still hooked up, though it's pretty much just a Netflix box with occasional blu-ray uses, and even more rarely, weird esoteric and/or Japanese crap on the PSN store that I can't find anywhere else.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah, for Netflix in my opinion pc (media center)>360>pc browser>ps3>everything else.
We just got a new 52" Sharp Aquos to replace our older 42" TV. It's the first "smart TV" we've gotten, and the Netflix client for it is better than any other that I've used.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

PlayStation 3 Lifetime Shipments Overtake Xbox 360 According to Market Research

According to a new report published by market research firm International Data Corporation (IDC), in December 2012 lifetime shipments of PlayStation 3 consoles reached 77 million, surpassing shipments of Xbox 360 consoles by 1 million units, as noted in GI.biz's summarisation of the 67-page study.

This is despite Sony launching the PS3 in 2007, a year later than Microsoft's Xbox 360, and a relatively slow start thanks to the console's high price point at launch. No doubt the more affordable slim and super slim models of the console have helped in contributing to these latest figures.

Of course, these figures relate to units shipped rather than sold, although Sony reported that 70 million PlayStation 3's had been sold in November 2012, a month after Microsoft had reported the same figure. Good stuff...

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

By Donald Melanson posted Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:46 PM

It's a trend that's been clear for some time now, but NPD's year-end report out today has confirmed that the Xbox 360 is the clear winner in US console sales for 2012, with 1.4 million units sold in December alone keeping it in what's described as a "dominent" position. As for this year's big new console, the Wii U, the NPD Group reports that it's sold nearly 890,000 units in the US after its first 41 days on the market, with 460,000 sold in December (actually less than the 475,000 of the original Wii). Nintendo found a slightly different spin to put on that, though, noting that the Wii U has generated $30 million more than the original Wii at the same point in its lifecycle, which sold more units but also cost less. When it comes to Nintendo's other consoles, the 3DS was on top with sales of 1.25 million in December, while the standard DS moved 470,000 units.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/10/npd- ... es-890-00/

Dominant where it counts! (the country that spends the most on video games)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I am thinking about getting a PS3 soon, and I am wondering what I should look for in the packages that are available. There various bundles out there can be a little overwhelming, but I guess my real questions are about what should I expect in the box and what should I plan to be forced to buy separate. How much hd space should be good for casual gaming and such? I remember my 360 had one of the smaller drives.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

There's not really anything you'd need to get separate other than another controller if you need more than one. I don't know the HDD size the current models have but I'd assume most are large enough for the "casual gamer". Plus unlike the 360 if you do need (or want) a larger drive they use standard 2.5" drives so you can easily swap in another one if desired. I have a 640GB drive in mine probably for over two years now and I still have 300GB free.

While not required I'd also look into the PlayStation+ program which is $50 a year. This will get you 'free games' (expire when you're no longer a subscriber) and also frequent game sales (which don't expire when your subscription runs out). I think it's more bang for the buck than the 360's Live Gold which you need just to play online games!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I would get an uncharted bundle if there still is one, those games would be the only must plays of the console, IMO.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah, you're looking to get the PS3 exclusives more than anything. An Uncharted 3 bundle would be a great deal. Then you can buy the pack with Uncharted 1 & 2 for 25$ and the God of War saga for 40$ (includes every god of war released on all platforms). That would be a great place to start (and cheap!). Other PS3 exclusives that are also in bundles for dirt cheap, like Killzone. The exclusives easily make the system worth it IMO.

As far as HD space, I've never even installed a retail game on the HD so it has never been an issue for me.

Other PS3 exclusives to consider:

Little Big Planet 2
Motorstorm series
Ratchet and Clank series
inFamous series
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I forgot about Littlebigplanet and God of War. I don't think any of the others are must buys in my opinion, and I can't imagine that the Killzone servers are still lively enough to make it worth buying them, and purchasing a multiplayer FPS game for the campaign is retarded as hell.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:As far as HD space, I've never even installed a retail game on the HD so it has never been an issue for me.
That's because there isn't an option to do that like you can with the 360. That's about the only thing I can put in the 'Pro' column for xbox. The Metro UI obviously goes in the 'Con' column!

I've only played Motorstorm Apocalypse and I personally thought it was crap mostly due to the handling of the vehicles. Or should I say lack of. I can't imagine the other entries being any better. Definitely try out a demo first.

And finally, you can't really go wrong with Ratchet & Clank imo!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Well like it or not, God of War is a system seller. That collection bundle for 40$ is absolutely insane. You'd be nuts to pass that up if you even have a passing interest in the series.

I just mentioned some of the more popular series. I don't even care that much for LBP or Killzone, but they have their dedicated audiences. Who knows, maybe Boogahz will become a fan.

I didn't even mention Resistance, Warhaw/Starhawk, Twisted Metal, MGS4, or several others because I personally think those are all rather mediocre at best.

Valkyria Chronicles is amazing though. I think that is my favorite game on the system and justified the console for me.

Speaking of collections, there is a crazy amount of HD collections out there for dirt cheap. If I was late to this gen, I would scoop a lot of those up.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I doubt I will use it for many FPS titles, as I highly prefer them on the PC. I have only played games that were similar to the God of War series (gameplay), and I wasn't a huge fan. I guess I just freeze when I see 20 different packages in the store. If one chain has a "better" package, I would prefer to go there instead. :lol:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I've seen some bundles that come with a year of PS+
That alone is worth more than any throw-in title.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Playstation Store finally makes it to the web in the US. So don't have to use the crappy new one on the console to queue things up to download.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork. ... /home/main

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The only bundle I've found with a year of PS+ so far is the white system. That one doesn't seem to be available in stores for some reason.

I figure it will be either that white 500GB system or the 250GB Uncharted goty system.

Thanks for the ideas.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:The only bundle I've found with a year of PS+ so far is the white system. That one doesn't seem to be available in stores for some reason.
That one doesn't go on sale until the 27th

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/ ... of-plus-2/

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

That would explain why I could only get it shipped!