Video Driver Issue

For those of you with a little Tom Bombadil in you. No bursting into song, please.
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Video Driver Issue

Post by Kryshade »

I really dig this game so far, but I'm having a problem with hard crashes. I've gotten the blue screen of death once, and had 3 total freezes. Each time it tells me that its my video driver that caused the problem. I updated to newest driver ( I have an eVGA 7800 GTX OC). I still encountered a hard freeze after doing that. This is the only game I've ever had an issue with since getting this card.

Is this a game issue on their end, or software/hardware on my end? Anyone know of any known issues like this? I'm seriously considering buying this game, but not if I'm going to lock up my system 2-3 times a night.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

The only crashes I have heard about were Vista related. I haven't had any issues with my card at all, and the only crashes I ever had were taking place when zoning to a new area in closed beta.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

the geforce 7 series cards are having some major issues, EVGA overclocked ones in particular.

see my thread: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=42597

It's a combination of the hardware (being overclocked) and lotro too lazy to fix the problem (it's been an issue since beta).
miir and I are best friends. <3
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Mr Bacon wrote:the geforce 7 series cards are having some major issues, EVGA overclocked ones in particular.

It's a combination of the hardware (being overclocked) and lotro too lazy to fix the problem (it's been an issue since beta).
I think the OC is the key, neither of my 7 series cards are OC'd and they were working fine even before I updated my drivers last week. Oh, and you DO realize that the game is still IN beta...right?
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

Ok well if I'm nont the only one with the problem that makes me feel better. At least this way they're aware of the issue (hopefully). I saw you had to underclock your card... how did you do that?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:
Mr Bacon wrote:the geforce 7 series cards are having some major issues, EVGA overclocked ones in particular.

I think the OC is the key, neither of my 7 series cards are OC'd and they were working fine even before I updated my drivers last week. Oh, and you DO realize that the game is still IN beta...right?
I run Vista and my 7800GT is OC'd. It handled LOTRO just fine.

Perhaps CPU speed is a factor as well.

You also might not want to update your drivers. I use an older version. The latest drivers seem to be focused on the 8800 series. I had issues with the latest drivers in general. I'm actually using whatever generic drivers are installed with Vista atm.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Boogahz wrote:Oh, and you DO realize that the game is still IN beta...right?
Yes, and I knew someone would bring this up but I was too lazy to go back and edit it. Besides, it's "Open Beta" now, which essentially means they feel they are done barring fixes post launch.
Kryshade wrote:I saw you had to underclock your card... how did you do that?
You have to enable coolbits (google it) for your card first (consists of modifying your regedit). then I recommend using the classic nvidia control panel, and going until Frequency settings. Once you find the right page, it's self explanatory.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I felt like posting the process.

type "regedit" in the run window (windows key + r), no quotes.

go to the follow folder:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak

On the right side of the screen, right click. New -> DWORD Value

Enter in "Coolbits" (no quotes). Double click it and enter in "1A" (again, no quotes) for the value.

Now go to your nvidia control panel. If your drivers are at all recent, you'll get this windows folder-esque page which frankly bugs the shit out of me. looks like this:

I ask that you go to View -> Use Classic nVidia control panel.

Once you're in the new panel go to Clock Frequency Settings (should look similar to this):

From there, lower it down. By default, EVGA clocked my core at 500mhz and my memory at 1500mhz, and i had to lower it to roughly 400/1250 to play.
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

Ok, well I'm kind of a dumbass... apparently I don't have the OC version of the 7800 GT. I did the coolbits thing, and my memory was set at 2200 and my core clock was nearly 600. Dunno why they were up that high, I never changed them!

I tried lowering them just to see if it helps... will let you know if it does. Now I'm having a problem with my VOIP, my family (who live in Phoenix, I'm in Louisiana) says that they can hear me, but it sounds all choppy and that they can never really understand what I'm saying. We've all tried changing our settings to no avail. I get fine VOIP when I play BF2, so I can't figure out what the problem is!!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

edit: deleted to appease to shitheads who ran crying to the mods
Last edited by miir on April 20, 2007, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:courtesy of xanupox
Like you really needed an excuse to shit on a thread.