Vanguard goes LIVE Jan 30th 2007????

threnody
No Stars!

Post by threnody »

Well, the newbie lines are different in various quirks based on the chronological order they were made.

For example, Qalia is the oldest newbie experience now. Last I checked, you'd get quests that say kill N of these things. Players bitch about how kill N is a very lame quest. Fast forward to say the dorf area, released recently in terms of the dev time line. Inspire the troops! How do I do that? Kill N, but they don't tell me the N.

They've wanted to develop a sense of who your race is for the newbie series. Some places do this very well and the others range from OK to "button smash good!".

I'll just plow through the newbie areas anyway. It's only a few hours of work to get to 10 and from there I'll spend most of my time in a dungeon. I'll do the dungeon quest series of course, as you get to see all the content that way, but dungeon crawling is clearly where it is at for overall fun for me.
Asshole, Network Operator and Services root, VV/NK IRC Network
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

threnody wrote:I'll just plow through the newbie areas anyway. It's only a few hours of work to get to 10
We must be playing different betas because I remember commenting to myself repeatedly about how slow it was to level up from 1. Then again, I wasn't grouping.
threnody
No Stars!

Post by threnody »

I haven't leveled 1-10 since the new exp curves, but I haven't had any problem getting to 10 in a relatively short period of time. I'll do it probably two more times and then I'll probably not touch any of the newbie shit again for months. I have enough of the newbie shit beta testing all the new crap they've put in over the past few months.

Duo in those lowbie dungeons (the ones that start around 5) can be pretty good exp and doing the right quests helps out too. Plowing through 3-4 dots in early teens gets you to mid teens fairly quickly which opens up more dungeon content.

As far as solo.. I've not done too much solo in the past few months. I'm usually always duo or group'd. Any soloing I do is normally exploring or farming. Any time I've tried to solo grind exp in 20+ I've just laughed and moved on. It's too painful. Solo content is there, I'm just not sure why anyone would do that to themselves.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

Tears. .. laughing...too hard
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
threnody
No Stars!

Post by threnody »

I just asked a guildie about their necro they just leveled from 1-7 in 2.5 hours, if that helps. (solo)
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

I think the game has some promise but I'm not paying to beta test it. I'll be in Outland if anyone wants me.

PS: Lmao @ Rellix the most hilariously desperate apologist I've readin many a moon.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

I got my (daily, it feels like) periodic EB Games Newsletter in my e-mail today. They use these cute little phrases to introduce a product description. I chuckled when I saw the tag:

"Somebody better clean this mess up,"

used to introduce Vanguard going live on the 30th. They're trying to SELL the game! I wonder if that's an inside joke, as they should know their audience.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I know one of the producers on this game very well. He is one of my best friends, and yes I knew about the roughly end of January date. They were hoping to push it back a bit to avoid the WOW release, but I guess Sony told them no. I know he has been working 15+ hours a day for a year just to get it to the point it is at. They know it is not ready, unfortunately that decision is not theirs to make, it is Sony's. I have been on since the friends and family beta and it has made amazing strides, but I feel sorry for him. He was so excited about this game when it was launched, and he seemed so frustrated recently.

I will say it was cool running over the world at their offices and seeing the thing from the developers side. They have good people there and hopefully they can fix it on the fly. The Music is amazing, the game has potential, but most of the new ideas they had were destroyed when the timeframe on release changed. I hope I don't get my friend in trouble for saying these things. He still truely believes in this game and will strive to get it working well, it just sucks to have seen this thing from the start, to know what they were striving for and to see what ultimately will come out which is just EQ 2 redux.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Which reinforces my belief that Brad's comments about Sony just 'helping' them with publishing is complete bullshit. They're running the show.

Which is the second (and largest) reason I wouldn't buy it. The other being that I just don't have the time/desire anymore for this kind of game.

I do feel sorry for the Sigil staff though. I think they honestly had/have the best intentions and if they could get all they wanted done in a short time frame, Vanguard would really be amazing. (It's still very nice as it is - but certainly not ready for release)

Then again.. was EQ?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Tyek wrote:I know one of the producers on this game very well. He is one of my best friends, and yes I knew about the roughly end of January date. They were hoping to push it back a bit to avoid the WOW release, but I guess Sony told them no. I know he has been working 15+ hours a day for a year just to get it to the point it is at. They know it is not ready, unfortunately that decision is not theirs to make, it is Sony's. I have been on since the friends and family beta and it has made amazing strides, but I feel sorry for him. He was so excited about this game when it was launched, and he seemed so frustrated recently.

I will say it was cool running over the world at their offices and seeing the thing from the developers side. They have good people there and hopefully they can fix it on the fly. The Music is amazing, the game has potential, but most of the new ideas they had were destroyed when the timeframe on release changed. I hope I don't get my friend in trouble for saying these things. He still truely believes in this game and will strive to get it working well, it just sucks to have seen this thing from the start, to know what they were striving for and to see what ultimately will come out which is just EQ 2 redux.
Mr Bacon wrote:Dumb.
Just saving Rellix the trouble since he's 'NEVAR POSTING HERE AGAIN' and all.

I personally believe everything you said.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

noel wrote:Just saving Rellix the trouble since he's 'NEVAR POSTING HERE AGAIN' and all.

I personally believe everything you said.
Call Rellix a "shit-brained cunt" and you too will probably get a fun PM from him crying. :mrgreen:
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Brad probably asked Microsoft Games for another 3 years development and funding so he could properly unbalanced the classes and they dropped Sigil like a flaming garbage bag full of shit. SOE was the only company with the network infrastructure that would fund them on an accelerated release schedule.

Let this be a lesson about dicking around on forums bragging about how awesome your game is going to be while your legions of neckbeard forumtards fellate you via text, and expect to finish 90% of your content in the remaining 6 months.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Somehow winnow can relate this to his 360>ps3 propaganda.
Fuck Michigan!
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

Just a couple more days, I cannot wait to see the awesomeness of this game.... oh my god!
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I think Sigil must have taken the MS thing personally.

Anyone else find it comical that the countdown timers for Vanguard and Vista are the same?
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

noel wrote:I think Sigil must have taken the MS thing personally.

Anyone else find it comical that the countdown timers for Vanguard and Vista are the same?

Yeah, and they both start with V too!

:crazyeyes:
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

speaking of which, best buy is offering all laptops (possibly pc's) at clearance rates to make way for the vista loaded comps. best thing is, all clearance comps come with a free vista upgrade.

downfall however, is that you have to buy a computer at bestbuy.
Fuck Michigan!