Go Go SoE!

iandaina
Gets Around
Gets Around

Go Go SoE!

Post by iandaina »

Copied and pasted from the EQ Trader boards:

VANGUARD: SAGA OF HEROES FINDS A NEW HOME

- Sigil Games Online and Sony Online Entertainment In Talks To Co-Publish Sigil’s Ground-Breaking New Game -

May 5, 2006 – Carlsbad & San Diego, CA – Sigil Games Online and Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE), a global leader in the online games industry, today announced that Sigil is working with Microsoft Game Studios on an arrangement to acquire the rights to its highly anticipated massively multiplayer online (MMO) game, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. These efforts have resulted in a tentative agreement for Vanguard to be co-published by both Sigil Games Online and SOE. All three companies will be showing the game at the upcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) as they work closely together for a successful transition. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is scheduled to launch this winter.

“As the development process is ongoing and constantly shifting, it became clear that MGS and Sigil had varying visions and direction for the title’s development,” said Brad McQuaid, CEO of Sigil Games Online. “In the best interest of Vanguard, it was decided that we would buy back the publishing rights from Microsoft.”

As co-publisher of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Sigil assumes greater control of marketing and PR, while maintaining responsibility for game development, community relations, media relations, customer support, and quality assurance. Under the terms of the agreement, SOE will provide distribution, marketing, hosting and back-end support -- including billing and technical support -- for the game. Additionally, SOE is tentatively planning on adding Vanguard, upon its release, to SOE’s Station Access™ subscription plan. Station Access allows players to enjoy all of SOE’s MMO titles for one low monthly price.

“We are very excited to be working with so many old friends at Sigil,” said John Smedley, president, Sony Online Entertainment. “Vanguard looks beautiful and has an incredibly rich game world. It’s the type of game that will appeal directly to SOE’s hundreds of thousands of players and should fit in perfectly with the current line-up of games available in Station Access.”

”This decision was made mutually by Sigil and Microsoft, in the best interest of the long-term goals for the title,” said Phil Spencer, General Manager at Microsoft Game Studios. “As a key Windows development partner, we will continue to work with Sigil to ensure Vanguard’s ongoing success.”

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is the next generation of massively multiplayer online games. The journey takes place in the fantasy setting of Telon, a vast and ancient world of magic, intrigue and adventure. Facing the challenges of a war torn world, the diverse people here struggle to rebuild their once great civilizations. A fragile alliance has been struck, with the lands set upon by invading forces, the races must band together to survive.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is currently in a closed beta phase. The game will remain available via Fileplanet for existing beta testers during the transition to SOE. New information will be sent out to testers as the changeover occurs.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Cool.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Fuck
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Haha!

(On the other hand, if that falls under the all access pass (which it seems to indicate it will) that's not a bad deal for people interested in Vanguard and also keep their other SOE accounts active)
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

That's funny! I wonder if they will send me eleventybillion emails about it like I just got to come play the Matrix Online.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

As co-publisher of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Sigil assumes greater control of marketing and PR, while maintaining responsibility for game development, community relations, media relations, customer support, and quality assurance. Under the terms of the agreement, SOE will provide distribution, marketing, hosting and back-end support -- including billing and technical support -- for the game. Additionally, SOE is tentatively planning on adding Vanguard, upon its release,to SOE’s Station Access™ subscription plan. Station Access allows players to enjoy all of SOE’s MMO titles for one low monthly price.
I hope you guys aren't just skimming through for 5 seconds then freaking, The above is the most important paragraph. I've always found Sony servers to be pretty good, and while their tech support has its fair share of horror stories, who's to say MS/SGO would be any better?

Those interested may also want to read this: http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showp ... ostcount=6
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yes.. I'm sure we read it just fine. Was no freaking on my part. Just amusement that Sigil and SOE are working together in any fashion.

But really... SOE technical support SUCKS. I hope they hire new support for Vanguard because it's pitiful for EQ. No idea on the rest of the titles they support.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I've never personally had to deal with them so I can't really judge it. Most minor technical issues I've run into (that aren't 100% controlled on Sony's side) are usually fixable with a google search.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

As Aslanna said, if it falls under the all access pass, that's probably pretty good. Other than that.. rehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Morgrym wrote:Fuck
I second that, it's not too likely I'll ever give SoE another cent. Looked like a cool game too, oh well.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Last edited by Mr Bacon on May 5, 2006, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

You can count on a backlash both within the company (Sigil) and within the fan base. The 'big' thing with Vanguard was that it was the original EQ creators without the bullshit of SOE having their paws on it.

While in the big picture it's completely meaningless, I can say with absolute certainty that I won't be buying this game now. When my beta account is done, so am I. When I said I wouldn't buy any more SOE games, I meant it. I'm going to guess that a lot of others will feel the same way. Granted, I highly doubt it'll matter in the end. SOE will push it, newbies will buy it.

Very disappointing to see the Sigil team sink to this situation.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Siji wrote:When I said I wouldn't buy any more SOE games, I meant it.
Hah - did Sony murder your family too?
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I thought most of VG's team was was disgruntled ex-SOE wage slaves?

At least they can just all stop playing around and just call it Everquest 3 without any copyright battles because it is the EXACT SAME FUCKING GAME.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Rellix wrote:
Probably not, but they do make sub standard games and treat their customers like shit.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

kyoukan wrote:
Rellix wrote:
Probably not, but they do make sub standard games and treat their customers like shit.
I find comments like Siji's a bit hilarious. No one over at SoE was forcing you to play their game.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Rellix wrote:
kyoukan wrote:
Rellix wrote:
I find comments like Siji's a bit hilarious. No one over at SoE was forcing you to play their game.
And he didn't say they did. Some people have been so disgusted with the way SOE has handled their business in the past that they do not wish to give them any more money.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Rellix wrote:
kyoukan wrote:
Rellix wrote:
That's ok, we find your fanboism hilarious as well. I never claimed I had to play an SOE game, in fact I believe I said just the opposite. What I find funny, or pathetic rather, are people that piss and moan on and on and then buy more products from the same company that they're bitching and moaning about. I prefer to bitch with my money.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Siji wrote:
Rellix wrote:
kyoukan wrote:
Rellix wrote:
That's ok, we find your fanboism hilarious as well. I never claimed I had to play an SOE game, in fact I believe I said just the opposite. What I find funny, or pathetic rather, are people that piss and moan on and on and then buy more products from the same company that they're bitching and moaning about. I prefer to bitch with my money.
So bitch and move on? For someone who dislikes SOE so much, you sure love talking about them.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Siji is still upset because FoH/SOE stole his spawn once... in crushbone... at level 5. Cry more newb?

On a serious note... Rellix I appreciate that it currently says that SOE will have less control and Sigil will have more, but I still think it's fair for people to be wary. I'm sure that's the deal SOE/Sigil have now, but there's nothing written that says that's the way it will be for all time. Frankly, I think this is a BAD move for Sigil, and I'm a bit disappointed they chose this tact.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

It doesn't surprise me to be honest.

I wouldn't also be surprised if Microsoft was pressuring Brad to push through beta for release. Even in beta, Vanguard still has a ton of issues to work out. With Smed getting his back instead of whoever Gates had in charge, time is no longer an issue.

Kinda sucks for Microsoft though, they really wanted to get a grasp in the area of MMO, and were successful with consoles... but just lost that grip with the PC.
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Vanguard's one big pile of shit with too many people trying to grab a piece using their new and improved pooper scoopers.

I say get yourself a can of VaPoorize and stay away.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

noel wrote: I'm a bit disappointed they chose this tact.
Tack, and me too.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Hmm.. Is it just me or is it fucking stupid of Brad to go an announce to the world that he was leaving Microsoft for SoE before he had even finalised the rights aquisition from MS.
Woody over @ gucomics.com wrote: I just got off the phone with Brad. I IMed him to confirm the information and he gave me a call to talk to me about this change.

SOE will be co-publishing Vanguard with Sigil. Microsoft was focussed on the 360, so Sigil raised the money to buy back publishing rights. And, since Brad and Smed are old friends and SOE has the framework in place to properly co-publish Vanguard, it was a logical move. Now, because I know someone will either ask or make assumptions about this, SOE did not provide Sigil with the funds to break away from Microsoft. Sigil raised the capital themselves.

And for those of you that are concerned for whatever reason, Brad assured me that Sigil will maintain control of the IP, meaning they will control content, updates, the community, tech support, customer service, etc. SOE will be responsible marketing the game, getting the game boxes on shelves, establishing and maintaining the game's server farm, etc. Vanguard will be made available via the All Access pass, but they will not be part of the Station Exchange.

As it was related to me, SOE needed a title for next year, and with Sigil making the move from Microsoft Games, it was the perfect match. The monetary infusion from SOE also means that Sigil will have more development time to insure the quality of the game. It also means an extended beta time with one or two large final stages of beta playing host to 30-40 thousand gamers.

No worries about Sigil's relationship to Microsoft, the split was amicable. Sigil is still working closely with them to make sure that Vanguard is a premier title on the upcoming Vista OS.
Figures MS would've pushed on making this either a 360 exclusive or simultaneous launch PC/360.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

This is hilarious, as if anyone needed another not to play Vanguard.

It's almost too sickeningly ridiculous to be true.

Now watch the rimjobbers rush to the defense of what is the most ironic MMO moment possibly ever seen.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Nick wrote:This is hilarious, as if anyone needed another not to play Vanguard.

It's almost too sickeningly ridiculous to be true.

Now watch the rimjobbers rush to the defense of what is the most ironic MMO moment possibly ever seen.
Would you please work on your punctuaction?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

the word is reason, I was drunk and could you please stfu.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Nick wrote:the word is reason, I was drunk and could you please stfu.
Let's practice together until you understand.
Nick wrote:The word is "reason". I was drunk; would you please stfu?
I threw in some grammatical corrections and capitalization for free; you can thank me later.

Vanguard has some good looking screenshots, but I have yet to hear something positive about the gameplay of the closed beta. I think that this change in publisher will have a positive impact upon the state of the game at release, but I doubt that they will resolve all broken game mechanics by release.

The challenge will be in creating two games that are actually rather different. (EQ2 and Vanguard)
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Grammar nazi's are the coolest flamers on the intarweb. :lol:
Aruman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Aruman »

Nick wrote:the word is reason, I was drunk and could you please stfu.
That's a given. Would have had more impact if you had said you were sober.
"Or else... what?"

"Or else, We will be very, very angry with you, and we will write you a letter telling you how angry we are..."

Numb Nuts: How is 2300 > 23000?

kyoukan: It's not?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Oh noes, the vultures.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

SOE made some good games. I played them a lot for a long time.
SOE made some crap games. I played them a very little.

If Vanguard is good I'll play it a long time. If it sucks I'll drop it fast.

At no point during this process do I develop a personal deranged hatred for a large corporation. I pay them to provide me with fun and don't pay them if they fail to deliver. I've never had any problems with their CS either. Cos I'm not a whining little bitch.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

vn_Tanc wrote:At no point during this process do I develop a personal deranged hatred for a large corporation. I pay them to provide me with fun and don't pay them if they fail to deliver. I've never had any problems with their CS either. Cos I'm not a whining little bitch.
I take it they never "forgot" to cancel an account or withdrew multiple times or withdrew the wrong amounts or an expansion disappeared from your account or an expansion never showed up on your account or....

Just because a person has contacted their CS does not mean they are whining little bitches. It means their service "failed to deliver."
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

vn_Tanc wrote:At no point during this process do I develop a personal deranged hatred for a large corporation.
Me neither, but when they consistantly fuck up in a variety of ways I don't feel the need to give them my cash in the future. Based on the presumption that they'll screw up again.

No different than I treat any other manufacturers product.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
retiredwikit
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by retiredwikit »

Boogahz wrote:
vn_Tanc wrote:At no point during this process do I develop a personal deranged hatred for a large corporation. I pay them to provide me with fun and don't pay them if they fail to deliver. I've never had any problems with their CS either. Cos I'm not a whining little bitch.
I take it they never "forgot" to cancel an account or withdrew multiple times or withdrew the wrong amounts or an expansion disappeared from your account or an expansion never showed up on your account or....

Just because a person has contacted their CS does not mean they are whining little bitches. It means their service "failed to deliver."
But even so, if the above listed things happen, I simply call the CS line, or get online and do the "tech chat" and the problem is usually resolved in 30 - 60 mins. Its not a huge deal.
Current Character Hanelce.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

retiredwikit wrote:
Boogahz wrote:

But even so, if the above listed things happen, I simply call the CS line, or get online and do the "tech chat" and the problem is usually resolved in 30 - 60 mins. Its not a huge deal.
I never said it was a big deal. Also, I only gave a few examples of reasons to contact them. If you ever contacted them, you would essentially be a whining little bitch to tanc as well. Then again, Tanc said Cos...I think that means he's into Cosplay which makes him an entirely different furry.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

vn_Tanc wrote:SOE made some good games. I played them a lot for a long time.
SOE made some crap games. I played them a very little.

If Vanguard is good I'll play it a long time. If it sucks I'll drop it fast.

At no point during this process do I develop a personal deranged hatred for a large corporation. I pay them to provide me with fun and don't pay them if they fail to deliver. I've never had any problems with their CS either. Cos I'm not a whining little bitch.
how do you get your money back when the game is bad, or goes from being good to horrifying as a result of inept design and management?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

There is no guarantee when you purchase a game that you will like it.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

miir wrote:There is no guarantee when you purchase a game that you will like it.
Or that if you do buy it and do like it, that SOE will keep it enjoyable.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

miir wrote:
There is no guarantee when you purchase a game that you will like it.

Or that if you do buy it and do like it, that SOE will keep it enjoyable.
I'm sorry I can't think of any game that was once fun that SOE "ruined". They were either good or shit from the outset and didn't change much. Yeah maybe they did so SWG but if you were still playing that piece of shit more than 2 months after launch you got what you deserve.

EQ maybe falls into this. I enjoyed my 4 years but Luclin was pretty suck. I see that as an intrinsic risk of MMOs/Persistent worlds though: you either leave things the same or you change them, which involves risk. Four years is pretty fucking good going in any case. If memory serves:

EQ: Great and got better then got tired after 4 years
PS: Great fun but lost interest when my crew moved on.
SWG: Shit and stayed shit.
EQ2: Played for a few months at launch then discovered WoW was more fun. I gather the game has improved but I found it fun enough to level to 41 right from launch.

If I buy a game and play my free month then bin it I've lost no more than I did when I bought Wipeout:Pure for my PSP and found out to my shock that it sucked balls. Even a month of play is a lot more than most games offer these days and you're never going to sell an MMO disc second hand unless the account attached to it is worth something.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Personally I think it's a good thing for them. My guess is that no only was MS pushing Brad to do things quickly he didn't want to but that they were also looking to push this to the XBox 360 platform which is why it runs so much better on an ATI card than an NVidia one. Brad was probably having nightmares of Vanguard becoming "Everquest Online Adventures II" via MS than becoming EQ3.

If you read the deal SOE doesn't own Sigil, they are going to be the publishing parter and they are going to use Sony's expertise in realm management etc... Lets also face the fact that while we all have problems with SOE or Blizzard, they are both doing a damn good job and running the systems, something Microsoft has been unable to do well on a large scale.

My guess though is that before release, SOE will put some money into Sigil but not an equity stake. Lets also realze that when getting into bed with someone it's often easier to jump in the sac with an ex than with someone new... even if the relationship wasn't perfect. The good thing is that sometimes those jumps end up working on well... better than the previous relationship.

Marb
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Marbus wrote:Lets also face the fact that while we all have problems with SOE or Blizzard, they are both doing a damn good job and running the systems, something Microsoft has been unable to do well on a large scale.
I don't know, but I wouldn't throw Blizzard into a comment about servers running well. If you get past the login server, then you might have to deal with the realm server being fubar'd, or you might have to deal with the world server that your character was last on being down. Let's not forget the "item servers," or whatever the hell it is that causes the infamous "loot lag," if you even make it into the game. Their stability has been the subject of many flame threads recently on their boards.

Sony on the other hand uses one login per account no matter which game it is for. Try logging into EQ2 as well as PS, EQ, or SWG. You will bump your other game offline. This can limit the overall load on their servers which is not such a bad idea even if they still aren't pulling in the numbers that WoW seems to be pulling in lately.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Are we talking about the same exs here? Because whenever I hook up with my old flames, it's hell afterwards.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

This can limit the overall load on their servers which is not such a bad idea even if they still aren't pulling in the numbers that WoW seems to be pulling in lately.
WoW's biggest problems are a result of it's popularity.
The fact that 18 months later those problems still exist, speak volumes on how the game is being run. :wink:
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:
This can limit the overall load on their servers which is not such a bad idea even if they still aren't pulling in the numbers that WoW seems to be pulling in lately.
WoW's biggest problems are a result of it's popularity.
The fact that 18 months later those problems still exist, speak volumes on how the game is being run. :wink:
Yeah, their money is not being spent on the game from what I can see. At least SOE put money back into the game even if it was paying developers to make a new SWG to replace the old one.

I also recognize that this "deal" does not appear to be the same as what is going on with other SOE games, except maybe Matrix Online, and hopefully Sigil can continue their development without SOE guiding them.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Yeah, their money is not being spent on the game from what I can see. At least SOE put money back into the game even if it was paying developers to make a new SWG to replace the old one.
SOE haters can try to deny it, but they have done some very nice work with EQ2. While people can complain about some aspects of the game, they can't deny that the servers and infrastructure have been second to none.

I also recognize that this "deal" does not appear to be the same as what is going on with other SOE games, except maybe Matrix Online, and hopefully Sigil can continue their development without SOE guiding them.
I think it's probably different from MxO.
SOE did inject the MxO dev team with some new blood to try to give the game more mainstream appeal... WB washed their hands of a big disappointment and (i'd imagine) a pretty big money sink. SOE had the existing infrastructure to absorb it at what was probably a miniscule cost when compared to developing a new title.

I quite enjoyed MxO when it came out but it was far too quirky and unapproachable for your standard MMOG player. The occasional time I log in, I've noticed a steady (but small) increase in the server populaitons. The changes since SOE got involved have all been positive.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Now we need a Mechwarrior MMO to make life more awesome.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Now we need a Mechwarrior MMO to make life more awesome.
Sweet! :D

I was really looking forward to Warhammer Online until I saw the fucking graphics. I mean WoW's graphics looked dated (but acceptable) in 2004 but this is completely un-fucking-acceptable for a 2007 game.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Now we need a Mechwarrior MMO to make life more awesome.
QFT!

I think I had more fun with Mechwarrior RPG's than any other setting...well, except for running Shadowrun for several years.

My favorite was a Dropship owner/pilot with a nice Hitman mech for when he ventured out with the others group members.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Rumor is that this split happened over MS pushing for an early release or a 360 version. Both of which would have been extremely bad for the game.

Considering that they're still adding content, having it all tested and polished in 6 months is a little unrealistic.

That being said, Sigil cannot slack off the pace at all, or it'll end up being a 2008 release.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt