Anyone else drive a 7th gen Accord?

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Cownt
No Stars!

Anyone else drive a 7th gen Accord?

Post by Cownt »

Here is my 2003 Accord EX V6 Coupe.

Anyone have any links or tips on places to get mod parts for it?
Any good forums would be very helpful too.

Thanks
Cownt
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kind of general. But when I had my acura, I searched for parts and such on ebay, and found the companys and such that had the better quality stuff and then went to their sites.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

What are you lookin to do?

And where ya live?
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Type-R stickers are always a good investment.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

A Folgers can spray painted silver and coat-hangered to the tailpipe will amuse people with actual performance cars 50% faster.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

Aslanna wrote:Type-R stickers are always a good investment.
they add 20% horsepower.
My goal is to live forever. So far so good.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin

خودتان را بگای
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

nobody wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Type-R stickers are always a good investment.
they add 20% horsepower.
I thought it was 25% ?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

It's 20% for a sticker, 25% for a badge :)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I stand corrected.
Cownt
No Stars!

Post by Cownt »

I live in summerville, SC. Hit 135mph going through New Jersey, not bad for a ricer.

It's stock now at 240hp, mostly looking for performance upgrades (mainly something to program the fuel map and shift points ) and suicide door kit. Already have the rims/system in it, just had them off in that picture.

Cownt.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Without very extensive modification, you aren't going to get enough extra power from the engine to matter. And you still won't have a chassis\drivetrain that's made for the stress. There's a whole lot more to it than the bolt on garbage you can buy aftermarket.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Not necesarily true at all. Depending on the car (not a fan of Honda so never bothered to learn shit about them.. ricer cars typically) you can get a LOT of power out of them with fairly simple bolt-ons. The best example I can come up with right away is a 03 Mustang Cobra. Does not take much at all to raise the HP in it to the 500ish area.
Lisandre
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Lisandre »

What's a "ricer car"?
Phugg_Innay
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Phugg_Innay »

http://www.modacar.com/honda.html

This company is as straight up as I have seen. I did some networking for the owner. (a couple times, he upgraded homes about every 6 months) I have seen his "Shop Cars" and they were tastefully done. Just the parts to make em GO and Stop better , no F'ing fart can exhausts and gottie bodykits (although he will sell them)
I got a couple parts from him a few weeks ago for the wife 05 Golf , did it via Web and he actually sent me an email and took 40% off. He remembered who I was from like 5 years ago, just by an email adress. Most other fly by night rice racer shops could care less who you are , as long as you have the cash. This guy reminds me of the good old LOCAL shops.
Phugg Innay Bard ( retired )
WTFO ,,, (What the Fuck , OVER)
Cownt
No Stars!

Post by Cownt »

Thanks for the link phugg, i didn't see anything for the 7th gen accords, but i sent an email asking if he had anything not listed.

Cownt
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Cownt wrote:Thanks for the link phugg, i didn't see anything for the 7th gen accords, but i sent an email asking if he had anything not listed.

Cownt
Uhhh again, what ya tryin to do

Jefferson
Cownt
No Stars!

Post by Cownt »

The main thing im looking for is someway to program the fuel map and shift points. I'd also like to get a turbo installed.

Cosmetically, I'm looking for a good quality suicide door kit.

Cownt

Oh and get rid of the governor that holds me at 135.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

My advice is to save all the money you would spend on that as a downpayment on a car that is actually built for performance.

--
ooloof
No Stars!

Post by ooloof »

http://v6p.net/ is where its at for you.
7th Gen Accord is the same motor/tranny as what i have, an 03 Acura CL-s -- Also known as the J-Series motor

Basic engine upgrades are headers and intake for the most bang for the buck and should be your first upgrades. ECU upgrades wont make a difference yet, i dont think.
As for FI (forced induction) - turbos are custom setups. There are a few turboed/intercooled motors that push out 350+ hp at the wheels.
The most "basic" FI for the J-series is the Comptech supercharger. Check out Comptechusa.com. They are the most reputable aftermarket manufacturer for our bolt ons.
Check out http://cl.acurazine.com/ also for other J-series discussions from suspension, wheels, motor, tranny, etc .. . .

http://www.hopesystemsinc.com/forced_ind/fi_Main.asp Intercooler stuff

I just picked up my CL bout 3months ago and i've picked up competch headers, swaybars, cold air intake, thermoblok spacers, rotora brake rotors, and threw in a back up camera working thru the nav system :D
I'll be getting some coilovers and wheels as the next major purchases then the SC prolly next year. :D :D
Elder Ooloof
Retired
ooloof
No Stars!

Post by ooloof »

And stay away from all that Ebay junk like tornado or those bb-gun nitro canister systems. If it sounds too good to be true on ebay, it is - dont get suckered :shock: .
Elder Ooloof
Retired
Cownt
No Stars!

Post by Cownt »

Thanks for the links ooloof.

Aslanna: It's not that i can't go buy a "performance car", I actually like the accord.

Edit: typo
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

The Accord has one major issue when it comes to a lot of power: It is FWD.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

New Accord sedans (2006) look damn nice, much better ass end, new 6 speed v6 with close ratio... but just thank jeebus that horrible back end is gone

Jefferson
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Cownt wrote:The main thing im looking for is someway to program the fuel map and shift points. I'd also like to get a turbo installed.

Cosmetically, I'm looking for a good quality suicide door kit.

Cownt

Oh and get rid of the governor that holds me at 135.
...sigh.
I'll assume your new to import tuning. This is a real question NOT a flame. Do you have any idea of what all is involved in "get a turbo" and the money needed to do it in a manner that you will actually see real performance gains?

If you want go-fast goodies a suicide door kit is a mod that does nothing for perfmance and adds considerable weight (not to mention the money spent on that could go for a lot of gofast stuff).
Sendarie
Cownt
No Stars!

Post by Cownt »

Yea sendarie,
I realize I'll probably end up dropping around 10k on the turbo, etc.
And like i said "cosmetically" I'm looking for the suicide door kit, im not looking for a performance gain from that.

Cownt
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Cuckoo!

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I was looking at a new Accord until I realized you can't change the stereo. It may sound stupid, but if I can't change or upgrade the stereo of a car, I'm not buying it. I like my MP3 cds and don't want to have to deal with an external CD changer. Truely one of the most stupid design decisions I've seen.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Cownt wrote:Yea sendarie,
And like i said "cosmetically" I'm looking for the suicide door kit, im not looking for a performance gain from that.

Cownt
Its funny people will call us cookoo for spending large sums on our vehicles. Its a hobby, makes us happy isnt that what money is for?

Anyway trying to understand if your at a point you can sink in the 10k or so for a FI setup then why not sell the accord and get something that's built for the performance? Me I'm a 300ZX Twin Turbo guy with a little over 20k invensted under the hood and in the drivetrain so far and I'm only 1/3 of the way there. Its a long (5 year goal) process but its my thing and I love doing it.
Whats your end goal? A nice looking car with a little pep or a balls out leave those slow ass 05 Vettes/Cobras/GTO's etc in your rearview?
Sendarie
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Sendarie wrote:
Cownt wrote:Yea sendarie,

Cownt
Its funny people will call us cookoo for spending large sums on our vehicles. Its a hobby, makes us happy isnt that what money is for?

Anyway trying to understand if your at a point you can sink in the 10k or so for a FI setup then why not sell the accord and get something that's built for the performance? Me I'm a 300ZX Twin Turbo guy with a little over 20k invensted under the hood and in the drivetrain so far and I'm only 1/3 of the way there. Its a long (5 year goal) process but its my thing and I love doing it.
Whats your end goal? A nice looking car with a little pep or a balls out leave those slow ass 05 Vettes/Cobras/GTO's etc in your rearview?
Erh I do hope you're talking slow-ass stock cars there. All 3 of those (and in particular the Vette and especially the Cobra) can be very very fast cars with some work done to them. Cobra is the domestic Supra heh.

3/S > 300 ZX TT :p
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Accord EX is a nice car. i'm thinking about buying one.

not going to put a turbo in it though :p

i'm actually buying it for its crash test performance, not trying to improve the probability that i will actually crash it.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Kelshara wrote: Erh I do hope you're talking slow-ass stock cars there. All 3 of those (and in particular the Vette and especially the Cobra) can be very very fast cars with some work done to them. Cobra is the domestic Supra heh.

3/S > 300 ZX TT :p
Yeah the Vette thing was kind of a joke. The slow/fast is a matter of perspective. From MY rearview the new Vettes/Cobra's are slow. As are MOST Supra's out there. I will grant straight line the Supra has more POTENTIAL but its very rarely harvested at least in these parts.

I'm not saying my penix is bigger than all others, I am a car guy. My money goes to my car. Money = hp its just that simple.

I would say instead of 3/S > 300 ZX TT its more 300ZX = Cobra = Vette = Supra its all about your personal taste. All of them can be made to be ridiculously fast hell every single one of the cars in this post have and can be made to be 1200+hp beasts.
Sorry for the derail.
Sendarie
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sendarie wrote:Its funny people will call us cookoo for spending large sums on our vehicles. Its a hobby, makes us happy isnt that what money is for?

Anyway trying to understand if your at a point you can sink in the 10k or so for a FI setup then why not sell the accord and get something that's built for the performance?
Which was my whole point and almost exactly what I already stated. I realize it's a hobby but I mean come on.. Let's be realistic. I can invest 50k into a Yugo but that doesn't mean it's necessairly the best course of action.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Very true. I would rather buy a 250 hp Audi (just for example) then buy a 120 hp honda civic for 8k less (another example) and spend that 8k on making it as fast as the audi.

Thats why you will see more affordable cars like the Evolution and such (which are garbage cars btw) get more popular, they have all the ricey upgrades that these people want installed in their cars straight off the showroom floor.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Trying to understand you Aslanna. Are you saying its "not the best course of action" to invest 150k into a Yugo or into ANY car?
Sendarie
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Sendarie wrote:Yeah the Vette thing was kind of a joke. The slow/fast is a matter of perspective. From MY rearview the new Vettes/Cobra's are slow. As are MOST Supra's out there. I will grant straight line the Supra has more POTENTIAL but its very rarely harvested at least in these parts.
Both the new C6 and Z06 have put up some amazing numbers. The C6 beat the Viper by 11 secs at Nürburgring and the Z06 was only beat by the Carrera GT when it comes to production cars if I recall. Both are insane cars for the price. Put some twin-turbos on the current Z06 as well and it flies.

The Supra is.. erh.. I hate the front of it and not a fan of the interior but can't deny it's potential. It is.. too much "2F2F" for me though, not my style. And the Cobra is still a Mustang even with it's potential!
Sendarie wrote:I'm not saying my penix is bigger than all others, I am a car guy. My money goes to my car. Money = hp its just that simple.
Yupp.. I've been bitten by it again. Expensive but fun!
Sendarie wrote:I would say instead of 3/S > 300 ZX TT its more 300ZX = Cobra = Vette = Supra its all about your personal taste. All of them can be made to be ridiculously fast hell every single one of the cars in this post have and can be made to be 1200+hp beasts.
Sorry for the derail.
By 3/S I meant 3000GT/Stealth btw. That is my chosen direction :) I love the 300ZX as well though, it would probably be my second choice in hard competition with RX7. I currently only drive a NA but am working on a TT atm which should add to the fun :)

How do you like the ZX? What has it dynoed at? How is traction and how is it to launch? It has a reputation among us for being hard to drive and get the power to the ground with.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Voronwë wrote:Accord EX is a nice car. i'm thinking about buying one.

i'm actually buying it for its crash test performance, not trying to improve the probability that i will actually crash it.
If ya buy one,I'll send ya a crazy low ball quote... just so they match it and you get the car for a damn good price. Wait for the 06... trust me, many of the slight upgrades that car needed

Jefferson
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Voronwë wrote:Accord EX is a nice car. i'm thinking about buying one.

I was really itching to get an I4 EX the last couple of weeks because out the door cost would be just under 20k. I really like the way the 2003+ model drives especially compared to my older civic. But I have to remain strong even though I have a CD maturing in a week ](*,)
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Aslanna wrote:I can invest 50k into a Yugo but that doesn't mean it's necessairly the best course of action.
Yugo's are coming back, so you'll have your chance!
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Sendarie wrote:Trying to understand you Aslanna. Are you saying its "not the best course of action" to invest 150k into a Yugo or into ANY car?
i think it is VERY safe to say, "investing" $150K into just about any combination of automobiles is a terrible financial 'vehichle'.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Kelshara wrote: By 3/S I meant 3000GT/Stealth btw. That is my chosen direction :) I love the 300ZX as well though, it would probably be my second choice in hard competition with RX7. I currently only drive a NA but am working on a TT atm which should add to the fun :)
I love the VR-4 as a matter of fact (I have a car crazy wife too) thats the next car I have to build for her "fun" car. We of course have a nice little 01 Impreza wagon for good mileage and her current car for the long roadtrips to keep miles off the Z unless they are fun miles.
Kelshara wrote: How do you like the ZX? What has it dynoed at? How is traction and how is it to launch? It has a reputation among us for being hard to drive and get the power to the ground with.
I love the Z. I was originally a V-8 kinda guy until I moved to Japan (military) and lived there for 7 years. My first tuner was a Mazda 323GTX, not a racer but a built rally car that was fun and cheap to fix when I broke it. After that I moved on to a Fairlady (300ZX TT 2+2) and put my last 3 years into it. There were a few other adventures mixed in (Silvia and EVO2) but I'm a hardcore Z guy now. I understand them and just love them. As for dyno numbers right now my best is 441rwhp however I'm not putting all my pennies into hp. The most important thing for me is the safety of my car so have done a full drivetrain and engine rebuild. I wont list mods etc due to the lenght of it but I do have a full spreadsheet I keep. Next step is an SAFCII (already have JWT ECU for the 740's) but I'm still a bit rich so need to fine tune it.

BTW good luck with the 3000GT the potential those things have is unbelievable as long as you do it right (I cant imagine the pain in the ass of building a AWD system to handle 500-600rwhp range).

edit: Missed a comment at the end. As for putting power to the ground its just like anything else get some good sticky rubber and a drivetrain built for it and....practice....LOTS you can get it down. Obviously it'll NEVER launch like a VR-4 but hey cant have the cake and eat it to.
Sendarie
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Excellent, thanks :) I am still very much in the learning process but I spend a LOT of time reading and working on the car. My job is very stressful so it is an excellent stress reliever imo!

The VR-4 is great, I find the looks of a 3/S to be simply gorgeous. Unfortunately, it does not have quite the aftermarket following that Supras do so we are more limited. For now, the highest dyno sheet I have seen was around 790 AWHP I believe although he did a turbo swap after that and estiamated a gain of another 100 AWHP or so.

The two weak points of the VR-4 are the transfer case and the transmission to a lesser extent. There was a recall on the transfercase though and the newer 6 speed transmission is pretty sturdy.

The VR-4 is more of a roadcourse car than a drag car imo, and I think the lowest times are in the 10.6X range here in the US. That was a street-legal car with rear seat, AC, junk in the trunk etc. Insane driver though :)

My plans for the VR-4 or RT/TT will be a good balance of power and driveability. I want to be able to enjoy driving it on the road while still being able to take it to the track for a road course or a 1/4 now and then. Probably aiming for 450ish AWHP or maybe 500. Will depend on what surprises the car will give me probably heh.

I am sure you are aware of the good 3/S sites out there if you are going to look into one :) Who knows, even though I love the 3/S a Z wouldn't be out of the question either. Although from what I hear working on the engine in them is even harder than a 3/S!
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

You guys need to get John Sheppherd (8 second DSM driver + tranny/awd GOD) to build you guys a beefy drivertrain.

Both the 300ZX and 3000GT were meant to be more roadcourse than straight line drag (Supra). I have no intention of making mine a drag queen just well rounded, well minus the ricey body parts and spoilers (there will be none of those on my car!). In the end I will put down 550-600rwhp which really isnt that difficult on this block.

I've actually been trolling some of the 3000 sites but not sure if thats where we are going to go. Her second choice is one of the mind 80's 911 Turbo (she refuses to have an NA fun car). In any case I have years to think about it since thats the ETA for finishing my car.

Wow, nice hijack. Sorry for getting your post all fuxxored.
Sendarie