Get rich quick!

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Get rich quick!

Post by miir »

Well not really.. but here are some tips on how to make some decent coin while leveling up (and you don't have a level 70 to fund you) in EQ2.

The broker is your friend... learn it, use it, embrace it, cuddle it, make sweet sweet love to it.

Use your first few gold to buy the biggest Strong Boxes you can afford. A few gold should be able to buy you a least a 20 slot box. Fill up your broker slots with the biggest boxes you can afford.

Buy (or get someone like me to make you) the biggest bags or boxes you can afford and have enough strength to carry (boxes are 100 lbs). You need lots of inventory space to hold all the shit that you'll be hoarding.

NEVER EVER run past a shiny (collectable quesiton mark). If it's surrounded by aggro mobs, kill the mobs and pick it up. Nothing you can be doing is so important that you can afford to run past a shiny.

NEVER EVER vendor Treasured (or higher) items. Even if the item is complete shit, do not sell it to a NPC vendor.

HARVEST HARVEST HARVEST!!... specifically ore, roots and teir 1 loams. High level players are lazy. Use their laziness to fatten your bankroll. Many players leveling up tradeskills usually can't be arsed to go out and harvest thier own materials. Many recipes require roots and ore. These are the two most in-demand common tradeskill resources. When I came back to EQ2, I was making over a plat a day selling common tier 3 roots and ores.

Buy low, sell high. Play the market. I don't recommend this tactic as there's a very high chance of getting fucked over unless you really really know the market. I did make a killing before EOF release by stockpiling up a shit-ton of rare T2 and T3 harvests for 5-6 weeks.

Back to the broker.
After a night of adventuring, hit the broker and list all your treasured items, roots/ores and collectibles.
Check the prices on each item and undercut the lowest price by 10-20%. Never undercut by 1c. Only pricks undercut by 1c. People will usually buy the item from the person that you undercut. Just make sure you're selling the item for higher than the NPC vendor price (vendor price is listed in the right column).
Noob transmuters will buy up teir 1 and 2 treasured crap for 2-3g each. Tier 3 and 4 can usually fetch 3-5g each.

Collectibles (shinies) are a potential goldmine. Especially when expansions come out, players with lots of plat will hoover up collectibles so they can level up their alts faster. Some tier 2 rare shinies can sell for upwards of 1p. There is no way of telling if a shiny is rare (unless you know from the broker) until you check. So don't just automatically add them to your collections.
What I recommend is to hold on to them until you check the broker prices. If they are selling on the broker for like 40-60s, just remove it from the box and add it to your collections.

Keep in mind that you're dealing in quantity, not quality. You may only be making a few gold per treasured item but if you can sell 10-20 of them a night it really starts to add up.

Frequently re-check your broker prices. Chances are there's someone else undercutting your prices. Try to avoid getting into an undercutting war. If it starts to look like someone is doing the same thing as you, just price your items at the same price as your fellow entrepreneur.

When the cash starts rolling in, upgrade your boxes to Rosewood. Then get Salesman Crates which will allow other players to buy items from your house and bypass broker fees. When you can afford it, get a bigger house. Larger houses give you more broker slots.

Any questions?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Get rich quick!

Post by Spang »

When do we eat?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nice write up miir, thanks!
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

If you're on Permafrost, feel free to hit me up for a Salesman's crate. Good for bypassing broker fees if you put them in your house, making you a more attractive seller, plus they hold way more.

They take a rare wood harvestable, but I can cut Veeshanites a good deal. And if you can provide the rare, I'll make it free.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Great post. I never really played the market/auction/broker in any games - but I know it is the way to make some coin. I will definitely put this advice to good use.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

It's THE way to make money in EQ2. Merchants usually don't pay crap compared to what you can get from players. Shiny's sell to vendors for something like 6c no matter how rare it is.
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

Technically 7c. And actually, I use shinies as a way to gauge whether I'm getting screwed on merchant prices. Shinies should sell for 7c and L&L collectibles for 8c. Basically, never sell to anyone other than a housing merchant. They always buy for top coin. That being said, the only things I sell to them are 1) looted curiosity treasures that are cash drops 2) shit that's selling for under vendor price 3) all other trash drops.

But yes, shinies vary greatly in price. Sold a pristine droag scale today for 1p. Was the only one on the broker so maybe I should have put out for higher.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I spent way too much time involved in making coin in EQ1, I can't imagine putting forth the effort again (I think my retired account has a few 100K of plat in the bank from my smithing days).

Is coin that important in EQ2?
- Ash
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Ashur wrote:I spent way too much time involved in making coin in EQ1, I can't imagine putting forth the effort again (I think my retired account has a few 100K of plat in the bank from my smithing days).

Is coin that important in EQ2?
EQ2 is one of the few games where you don't really need to grind for coin.
Even the laziest player will earn enough money through normal adventuring to equip themselves with decent gear and spell upgrades.

Unlike EQ, you don't really need to spend much time making money. You really just need to be resourceful.

Last night for example... I popped up to Barren Sky to do a bit of coin farming (vendor drops, loot and coin loot). After 90 minutes I'd made about 80 gold from coin loot and vendor fodder... plus a bag full of shinies and treasured broker trash. When all the shit I put up on the broker sells, I will have made over 3p total... I got a few rare shinies that will sell for over 50g each.

At level 70 coin really isn't that important... except for outfitting your alts.
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

miir wrote:At level 70 coin really isn't that important... except for outfitting your alts.

Repair costs dude!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Sylvos wrote:
miir wrote:At level 70 coin really isn't that important... except for outfitting your alts.

Repair costs dude!
Haha yea... but I'm not kitted out in full fabled like you. :D
My junky gear is a lot cheaper to repair.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Full repair for me can get up near 1 plat :-(
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I take it the economy is a lot tougher than EQ1. 1 plat doesn't sound like a lot to me...

Bear in mind I've only ever played Trial of the Isle. MMO subscriptions are too rich for my married/kid/two cars/1 income/beta WOW PC family at the moment, but things may be looking up soon and the Rise of Kunark looks neat.
- Ash
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, 1 plat goes a lot further in EQ2 than it did in EQ1, at least from my limited experience with it so far.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Ashur wrote:I take it the economy is a lot tougher than EQ1. 1 plat doesn't sound like a lot to me...
Not sure what you mean by tougher...
The economy in EQ2 is just completely different.

Let's say I want to by a Master of one of my level 60-70 spells... it might cost me between 5 and 15 plat.
If all I do is run instances, it's gonna take me weeks or months to make that kind of money unless I get lucky and win a few rolls on a tradeable legendary or fabled.

But if I take a few days out of the week to grind greens in BS or LP, I could make enough plat in a week.

The problem is that a lot of EQ2 players really don't like grinding for cash for a couple of hours every few days.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Thanks! I never spent much time pricing shinies out--I'd check, but seems I never had anything in demand/rare.

I am a mining freak though--got that from WoW... those tier4 mining node rares can fetch 20-40g sometimes. :) I end up breaking even with gear upgrades...may need to start crafting...meh
en kærlighed småkager
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Right after EoF came out I had a lucky streak in Loping Plains, got like 4 or 5 rares for collection quests, after using 2 for myself I sold the others for multiple plat each... very nice.

Good post Miir however I would add that past level 55 maybe 60, at least on Lucan, there are some treasured items you just won't ever sell. If there are 20 or 30 on the broker, some at less than what you can sell to a vendor, just sell them.

Sometimes you will also find an item cheap on the broker, I've bought stuff and resold it as well. One guy was selling a Tae EW Prophet robe for like 50g, I grabbed it, waited a week and sold it for a 1.5P...

And while I have 2 accounts I run almost everything through 1 character with multiple saleman crates so that people would be more apt to come to the house. If they can get multiple items with no broker fee it helps.

Marb
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

So I picked this up Friday night, but due to 2390856928356 hour install, I didn't get to play til Sat afternoon.

Long story short, thanks to this guide explaining what the broker was, how to use it, etc - i have 1.5 Plat, 2 fir(i think? the 28 slot ones) salesmans boxes, 6 18 slotters, and most of my spells are adept 1 or higher. Thanks Miir!
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

What server, Py?
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

AB - 17 HE illusionist
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I've been doing good following Miir's advice. I was finally able to buy a horse at level 29 - he is a 32% increase - not the best but it sure helps!

I also have enough money to get a better house (but I am waiting on that because the "free" house suits my needs at the moment.

I think right now I have about 7 PP - which is pretty good for someone who was always broke in EQ1. And yes, the economy is totally different - while it may be called Plat in both EQ1 and 2 they are completely different currencies.

Regards,

Moonwynd

Elyrion of Veeshan
29 Fae Conjuror
Permafrost Server
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, the shinies have been a lifesaver. However, make sure to take a look at what collection rewards are. For instance, the enchanted maple leaves in enchanted lands will net you a 24-slot bag, and they can be bought (at least on Guk) for 1-3 pp per.

Last night I went through several incomplete collections, filled in the blanks via broker (when possible for cheap) and netted about 4 APs. Now my 36 wizzie is an invoker (str/crit line). Pretty slick 1200 crit on ball of fire, weeee. :D

I am up to about 7pp on this character now, even though I buy things now and again...leveling up other alts in trades to offset gear upgrades helps as well.

Do you have to be in a guild to buy a horse? Seems they reward guilded people quite a bit in eq2.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

There are plenty of mounts available to unguilded folks.
There are more fancy mounts that are guild level restricted.

The Nightmare (48% speed) I bought for my assassin has blue glowing/flaming feet requires guild level 50.
It cost me like 22p and 400k status.

Any player (guilded or not) can buy a 45% Warg in Loping Plains for like 5p.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:There are plenty of mounts available to unguilded folks.
There are more fancy mounts that are guild level restricted.

The Nightmare (48% speed) I bought for my assassin has blue glowing/flaming feet requires guild level 50.
It cost me like 22p and 400k status.

Any player (guilded or not) can buy a 45% Warg in Loping Plains for like 5p.
I have that Warg still...did it cost me that much? I can't remember. I think there were also a few short quests to do before he would sell the mount, but they didn't take too long...unless they were the quests I kept AEing on while Branndine pulled :P

hmm, I seem to AE a lot...
Seebs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Seebs »

reading this makes me want to return - Gads!
Seeber
looking for a WOW server
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

You should! Taking Miir's advice on my mangina Warden right now, with 4 aa's in protector of the forest I'm tankin' like a scout! heh...

Since I'm on add odd hours due to the kids who know perhaps we could finally group up, I might even mentor to get ya to 70! :)

Hope all is well!

Marb
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Bumpity. Miir is my hero for EQ2 finance.

It's amazing how much the market fluctuates (usually downward!! but that may be due to market floodage from Christmas vacations and people having time to camp what they previously bought). I know there were plenty of high level people hoovering all the nodes in tier 1-3 zones (some bastard kept scooping up nodes I was clearing MOBs from... dick).
- Ash
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

Its probably from the spurt caused by the release of Kunark tailing off. But brokering = cash, for sure. :)
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

They remove the ability to set yourself as a broker (so long as you remained logged in)/Sell stuff in your inventory? Dont have a snazzy house (yet?) so only have 2 teak strongboxes , but have a zillion different collectables/adepts I need to sell.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

:shock:

I didn't know you could ever set yourself as the broker
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

Hmm you know. Maybe I'm thinking of how it was pre-brokers? Starting to make sense...
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

If you use salesmans crates, you can 'place' them from your corkboard to your floor in apartment/house. That way, people can visit and avoid the broker fee.
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Canelek wrote:If you use salesmans crates, you can 'place' them from your corkboard to your floor in apartment/house. That way, people can visit and avoid the broker fee.
Which is the sex if you're buying a bunch of something from the same person. There's a guy in Qeynos with characters named "Boxman" and "Bagman" who sells (you guessed it!) boxes and bags respectively, and usually a shitload of each for a usually reasonable price if you don't know what to look for. I think I ran Ash over to his place to buy a bunch of backpacks* without the 20% broker fee.

Is there anyway to respec you tradeskill profession or is that permanant? I chose Alchemist, but I wish I'd have gone the Craftsman route.

*yeah Miir, I know I'm strong as an elephant on steroids and can carry strongboxes. :) Call me an ignorant purist. I don't feel like I'm playing EQ if I don't imagine myself wearing over a half a dozen backpacks.
- Ash
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I'm full up on rosewood strongboxes and still run out of inventory space.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I was running around in Feerrot with the wizzie the other night to get a jump on the Thulian language. Some of those pages (?) can fetch a good price as well. Usually, they decline in price rapidly, but I happened upon one that sold for 2P and the other for 80G. Not a bad haul for two items. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You can reset your tradeskill in North Qeynos. The real tradeskill to level up is tinkering. Too many usefull items you can make that are only useable by tinkerers. Of course it can cost a fair bit to level up to max, but you can offset that greatly if you do your own harvesting and work on it a bit at a time.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Other thing to note in regards to selling is be sure and use your Veterans case if you have one. The expansions count against the length of time you have had your account and part of the 3 year reward is a case that runs at a 10% broker fee rather than 20%.

I put all my higher priced items in there. Sure they can come to my house but I know that even personally I'm apt to spend 10 gold extra if I'm in a hurry.

Just use the /claim to get your rewards.

Marb
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Marbus wrote:Other thing to note in regards to selling is be sure and use your Veterans case if you have one. The expansions count against the length of time you have had your account and part of the 3 year reward is a case that runs at a 10% broker fee rather than 20%.

I put all my higher priced items in there. Sure they can come to my house but I know that even personally I'm apt to spend 10 gold extra if I'm in a hurry.

Just use the /claim to get your rewards.

Marb
And the Vetran's case is a 40 slot box.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Not a veteran, I suck.

I have 2 salesman crates, not the top of the line ones, but I haven't run out of spaces yet (probably because I save my harvested items in my bank for when I decide to seriously work up a tradeskill. I'm a level 20 alchemist at the moment, but I wonder if that was the right decision. Potions and Combat Arts? I see some of the woodworking items look pretty cool as well.
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

What are those legends of norath raid cards for? I sold one for 80g. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I have sold LoN booster packs for 4 plat.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

What are they for though? Some kinda nancy-ass card game?
en kærlighed småkager
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

It's a card game you can play either in or out of EQ2. You can find a button under options that starts it.
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Sounds pretty gay! I'll take the phat l00tzies from selling!
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

In the options there's one that auto-declines LON requests.
- Ash
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Bumping this up for newbies starting EQ2.

Most of the info is still valid except for maybe selling common harvestables. With the advent of guildhall harvesters, common harvests don't really sell as much anymore.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

what the hell is a transmuter and where can i find one!
Sick Balls!
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

miir wrote:Bumping this up for newbies starting EQ2.

Most of the info is still valid except for maybe selling common harvestables. With the advent of guildhall harvesters, common harvests don't really sell as much anymore.
nice, thanks Miir..