Stuff you should do before starting to play CoH

CoH Discussion
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Stuff you should do before starting to play CoH

Post by Hesten »

Ok, for those of you that plan to play City of Heroes, heres a list of what you should do:

Select a server (ill be playing on Victory, most of the VV crew will, so ill hang out there too).

Select a cool name. (I already got The Chessmaster name reserved).

THINK ABOUT YOUR OUTFIT. Its hard, but its needed. You can spend XXXX hours designing if you dont have a basic idea on how your superhero have to look.

Think about your origin. Just as important as the outfit. If you dont know how your hero came to be, why even bother. Origin and outfit are usually connected, so do both. My Chess Man (in beta) on Prime made costume BEFORE i made up a backstory for him, and i will have the same backstory, but seriously changed outfit when i make my new char. It suck having to redo your hero because you didnt plan ahead. Remember, costume and backstory mean a LOT more in CoH than it do i EQ.

And now for the most important part of preparing for City of Heroes ..... the reccomended reading.
To do a roleplay game in a world of superheroes, you NEED to know some backstory about heroes. And im not just talking Superman and the Justice League and the 60'es TV series of Batman. You need to know that Superheroes are NOT nessecarily good, pleasant, or maybe not even "real" heroes at all. Lets try a few examples, the most well known superheroes:

Superman:
Hes our basic goodie hero, wanna do the best for everyone, and basically he's a superhero version of Barney. If you just read the basic Superman comics, and seen the movies, you miss an essential part of Superman. You miss what he really IS. What motivate Superman? In the mainsteam comics, your basic Superman is motivated by his parents idea of good and evil, and how humans should do. Superman is usually up agains 1 central badguy who he can stop from breaking the rules Supermans parents laid out to him. But what will happen if the world does NOT work like that? Thats the interesting part of Superman. If you wanna know the darker (and in my opinion more "real" side of Superman, you should look into the following:
Superman, peace on earth.
Kingdom Come.
Batman, the Dark Knight Returns.
Batman, the Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Batman:
Everyone know Batman. Hes the protector of Gotham, the main who without superpowers still manage to get the label superhero, simply because of what he is.
The problem is, what IS Batman really?
Most people would say somethink like: Hes a hero, he defeat the bad guys and protect the innocent, that make him a hero.
But do it?
Batman is the prime example of WHY a backstory is important. Because if you look at Batmans background, he is a Hero, yes, but not a "good" hero. Were talking about a man who saw his parent killed in front of him, who after that spend 18 years of his life preparing and perfecting himself to figth evil. Hes a man who life 2 lives, dresses up like a bat, showing clear schitzophrenic behaviour. He is a man who use teenagers to help him fight, regardless of the risks. Even though the 2nd Robin get killed by the Joker, he STILL take 2 more Robins (including Carrie Drake). Hes not above, and even in some cases enjoy, causing physical pain to his victims.
So if you only know the Batman from the 60'es series, or the Batman from the older comics (you know, the ones that at the end got so far out that we had Batman, Batdog, Batgirl and so on), you should take a look at the following:
Batman - Year One (Important backstory)
Batman - The Long Halloween (important backstory)
Batman - The Killing Joke (important backstory on both Batman, Joker and Oracle)

And for the more darker view of and older and more cynical Batman, i can highly reccomend:
Batman, the Dark Knight Returns.
Batman, the Dark Knight Strikes Again.
And of course top off with Kingdom Come.

That was a good overview of 2 VERY different Superheroes, both different in origin, powers and behaviour. That should show why you should put a LOT of thougth into that. Do your hero enjoy beating up gang members or not? Do he kill? Do he protect everyone, or have his own agenda?.

And to end it all for the reccomended reading, everyone should go read "Watchmen" by Alan Moore. That is in my opinion THE work on Superheroes, how they work together, and how the "normal" humans and the society affect them and their work. (its a 200 MB download if you find it on the net, but well worth the time).
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

You can do all that OR...remember that its just a game...
Brittney
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Brittney »

All you gotta do to play CoH is:
1. Know how to click on a mofo that wants to jack you and then press 1-0 so you can bust a cap in his punk ass.

2. Laugh at people who be dying in front of you and then kill their half dead mob.

3. When grouped keep the mutha fuckin group moving and always killing even if some people in yo gots to get capped in the process. Grips of people in this game don’t know how to play a mmorpg and they like to just stand around in groups and just causally kill and roll play like they a badass who is saving the earth and they slow your exp flow. This shit be unacceptable and these fooz must be dealt wit and trained until they die and learn that they are not special, they are not a beautiful or unique snowflake, they are the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

4. Missions should only be done IF a. someone in the group already has a mission b. the mission is IN the zone you are exping in. and c. the mission is hard enough to give good exp.

5. Once shit turns blue its time to MOVE the fuck on and start killing oranges, reds and purples again.

6. When you are low on health, low on stamina, out of inspirations that can save your ass, are currently getting beat on by some mofo and are not grouped with a healer then you RUN.

7. Get HOVER and FLY ASAP! Fooz cant melee you if you are hovering high enough and flying is the best and surest way to save your ass.

8. Someone Ganking your mobs? Someone talkin smack? Someone look at you wrong? Train them.

9. Go to http://coh.warcry.com and download the Hero Builder and USE IT! If you do not then you will be shit out of luck and end up with some gay character with gay skills that are useless and you will have to recreate.

10. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL! Never ever ever ever move around from zone to zone looking for new exp spots if you have already found a good spot. Drain 1 spot dry of all the exp you can get for as long as you can and never move from that spot until shit don’t give good exp anymore. Only go looking for a new and better exp spot when your current exp spot has been milked dry.

All of the above is all you need to know to play CoH. Is this a key to having fun? No. Its a key to having a successful powerful high level character that beats ass and fast. If you wanna level slow and get beat down lots and just take in the scenery then just do your own thing, that be all good too if its yo thing.
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

<3 brit. And even after all this time that sig is still #1
Drem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Drem »

You could do all that... or you can cruise through it all by buying the game like a week later. Have someone sidekick you and use the xp sploit, grats 20 levels in just a few hours.
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Haha Brit is the man.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Considering that EBGames here in Denmark have May 12th listed as a release date I'm a little concerned...

Can you download the full version from the beta client and then have a friend buy you a copy giving you the cd key?
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Drem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Drem »

Drolgin, I think that could work, unless the real game is completely different from the beta. You should wait until launch day just to be safe though.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Drolgin, if you want the game on release date, Betafon said they would have it on release.
I cancelled my order from DVDBoxoffice to get it from Betafon on release.
They charge 500 dkr for it though, 50 more than DVDBoxoffice, even if the package get full custom taxes on it, but if you want it on release day, its worth it imo ;)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Cool, tak tak - giver dem et kald! Kan nok få lidt rabat ;)
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG