Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

CoH char creation question...

Post by Animalor »

1 - Does Origin have an impact on your character other than missions received

2 - Do powers eventually branch out other than your primary/secondary? I haven't really played past level 3 but stuff seems really limited up to this point.

3 - Are any of the classes uber-gimped right now? (I usually have a knack for picking these)
Drem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Drem »

1. Other than missions, origin also only affects the name of your enhancements.

2. Yes, there is a power pool set that you can start picking from at level 6. This includes all the traveling powers like flying and teleporting.

3. So far, the scrapper spine power is pretty unpopular. It does weak damage, but it has the most ranged attacks for a scrapper. However, it was upgraded recently so not sure about that. Everything seems pretty balanced.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Choosing Origin mostly dictates what kind of missions and enhancements you get.

Let's say you have a thing for magical artifacts and relics, pick Magic origin! Then you will also fight more of the Circle of Thorn mages!

Shops you often will visit later in the game will be called like Pandora's Box where you can buy magical relics to aid your powers.

Later in the game you will also have the chance to choose different contacts(that give you missions), so you can specialize in a certain villaingroup to battle.

-

If you choose Natural Origin for example, you will be able to fight a lot of the 5th Column Nazis early in the game, they are a fun challenge since they use military tactics when they fight! Hard to divide and conquer fighting them, they're often like a whole army heh.

Things you purchase to improve your powers as a natural will be gadgets and techniques will aid your powers.

Instead of visiting a shop selling magical artifacts like Pandora's Box, you will as a natural enter a shop filled with shelves of firearms,gadgets, contraptions and rows of proteinepowder! I remember that Image inc had a few good submachineguns and SPAS 12's on their shelves!

I also saw some creatine boosters in their stock!

-

As a Mutant or someone with a Science Origin, the shops you will encounter will look more like a laboratory than a store and things that alter your DNA and change genetics will be your thing.

You will also have more Mission encounters with real strange-looking creatures like the undead Vahlizok-zombies.

Different Origins build a different storyline. Recovering artifacts/magic cloaks and the like to destroying drug stashes to stopping labproduction etc etc

-

Uber-gimped classes? Well that depends on how you look at it.

Those who prefer the convenient way should not play a melee, since you have to chase runners that flee in fear! :D

Ranged Heroes will have it more easy in that aspect.

Drem picked the Spine-melee as a good example, what they lack in pure damage in comparison to other scrappers, they add in utility, so there is some balance there as well! :)

They may not do as much damage as MA or Dark for example, but they do have a slowing poison(DoT) in their attacks as well as a lot of AE thingys.

Some people prefer pure damage, others support abilities, utility that makes encounters easier etc..
Last edited by Kwonryu DragonFist on April 21, 2004, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Good info Kwon, I did not know that about the origins, but that's a nice touch. I like it.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Thanks Krim! Hope to see ya on Virtue! :)