Task Forces...

CoH Discussion
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Task Forces...

Post by masteen »

So me and my friends got our gimps on to try Positron's task force. I figured I should round up some peeps, so I a team of seven together. Pretty well balanced: 1 tank, 1 scrapper, 2 blasters, 2 emp defenders, and a controller.

The first mission went pretty well, it was hard, but we got through it no prob. The second mission was just fucking insane; a COT dungeon filled with energy mages and ghosts. The energy mages are pretty easy, just trop them and nuke until they die. The problem was the friggin ghosts making themselves intangible. Aside of landing a hold/sleep on them when they turn solid, is there any way to deal w/ these?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Your controller should be incapacitating these when they get low on health to prevent this from happening. Other than that you basically have a headache dealing with them from what I've seen if they pop that intangible before your blasters can finish them off. Hope your guys are assisting too!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Yeah, we were all wailing on the energy mages to keep them from blowing up. The problem was that there were no less than 8 ghosts linked to EVERY group of mages/archers/guards. I guess we should have picked up another controller...
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

Masteen,

Look me up next time you are doing this. We would love to do a task force but since we normally duo, it is impossible.
Adelrune Argenti
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I have you and Esth on all my character's friend lists. You two aren't over 15 are you?
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Task Forces...

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

masteen wrote:So me and my friends got our gimps on to try Positron's task force. I figured I should round up some peeps, so I a team of seven together. Pretty well balanced: 1 tank, 1 scrapper, 2 blasters, 2 emp defenders, and a controller.

The first mission went pretty well, it was hard, but we got through it no prob. The second mission was just fucking insane; a COT dungeon filled with energy mages and ghosts. The energy mages are pretty easy, just trop them and nuke until they die. The problem was the friggin ghosts making themselves intangible. Aside of landing a hold/sleep on them when they turn solid, is there any way to deal w/ these?
Controllers are your friend against these kinds of enemies.

They cant make themselves intangible when held or stunned!
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Masteen, let me know when you intend to do this. Quy and I both have level 14 controllers basically in limbo until the AT gets balanced, but we love playing them. Currently we play Starbeam and Flake in game, but our controllers are Minister of Funk and Blizzarda.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Masteen, send me a tell in game and ill help ya out! :)
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Jice Virago wrote:Masteen, let me know when you intend to do this. Quy and I both have level 14 controllers basically in limbo until the AT gets balanced, but we love playing them. Currently we play Starbeam and Flake in game, but our controllers are Minister of Funk and Blizzarda.
Balanced? What isn't balanced about it? The only thing I would change about mine (Mind/Empathy) is that confused mobs shouldn't steal experience, since that's the only way I can really contribute damage in a large group.

Other than that, no complaints really. I don't do a lot of damage but with AE Sleep and AE hold as well as single target versions, I don't really NEED to do a lot since the enemies can't hit me anyway.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Well, its a matter of grouping and progress. Two blasters (what we play now) can level all the way to 40 and get there at a reasonable pace (well ridiculously fast pace, actually), which is something two controllers cannot even remotely hope to do. Also, even post nerf, provoke/Taunt makes controlling pretty unnessecary in most XP groups out there.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

masteen wrote:I have you and Esth on all my character's friend lists. You two aren't over 15 are you?
Just hit 14 tonight. We are getting close.
Adelrune Argenti
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Well, its a matter of grouping and progress. Two blasters (what we play now) can level all the way to 40 and get there at a reasonable pace (well ridiculously fast pace, actually), which is something two controllers cannot even remotely hope to do
Try playing a controller past the newbie levels before making such a ridiculous and blatantly ignorant statement.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

what? controllers are worthless.
Letania
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Letania »

controllers can replace tanks. Certain controllers (Illusion, Fire), are brutally strong whereas the rest are underpowered (relatively). It's very easy to lockdown a group, since ranged damage is pitiful if the mobs are anything less than red I can take a full volley of 15 attacks. Put Group Invis or smoke on (or drop Phantom Army), radiation infect the pack, lingering radiation the pack, flash it, enervate something. No empath required, no Provoke required, 7 blasters please.

Couple friends of mine started a pair of controllers with me 13 days ago, I dinged 34 last night - Fire/Rad, Illu/Rad (me), Illu/Storm. We started grouping with a level 20 scrapper around that level but honestly, 2 enervating fields + freezing rain + 2 Phantom Armies was effective solo. And now we have our pets.

Edit: Topic... Ghosts, one thing I've found about them is that a knockback holds them up for a lot longer than it looks, they get up and just float there looking dumb for 4 or 5 seconds. And they get up slowly.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Illusion is, by far, the strongest power pool for Controllers.
26 levels in about 8 days... mostly solo... 9 souvenirs to show for it, :D
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Miir... whats your chars name? :p
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I don't play on your server
Letania
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Letania »

Have you seen Fire/Rad? It's better than illusion heh

Enervating field + tactics + radiation infection + smoke with Imps is just insane. Plus fire has 2 AE holds to illusion's 1, and fire has an AE root which I would trade just about anything to have because my Phantasms knock shit ALL OVER. PA + 2 Phantasms = as strong as 8-10 imps, but PA can't be up all the time.

And are you Storm abusing the FR bug?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Nah, Illusion/Kinetics.... 100% legit
but PA can't be up all the time
I'm triple slotted rech redux... less than 2 mins.
Letania
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Letania »

Yea I got mine doubled but until I get tactics maxed I need PA's offensive power in too many situations :(

I've been wanting to try a Kinetics character since release, but haven't had the opportunity, I'd try Fire/Kin but I'm worried that the imps would die too fast without a good debuffing secondary..
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Letania wrote:Yea I got mine doubled but until I get tactics maxed I need PA's offensive power in too many situations :(

I've been wanting to try a Kinetics character since release, but haven't had the opportunity, I'd try Fire/Kin but I'm worried that the imps would die too fast without a good debuffing secondary..

Siphon Power is surprisingly good debuff/buff.
With 1 +ACC and a 2-3 Rech Redux, you can cut the recharge enough to stack on at least 2 per fight. That's roughly 50% mob damage reduction.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

If you like Siphon Power, you will LOVE Fulcrum Shift! :D

Did over 400 dmg with my Defender hehe
Letania
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Letania »

Siphon is single target though, which I'm not worried about because I can just mez the heavy hitters. Do you run permahaste? Was wondering how long the buff part lasted

Another thing that would be incredible is Speed Boosted Phantasms, I'd LOVE to see that =p

Been thinking about it and the next grouping character I make will probably be Fire/Kin. My Fire/Rad friend has smoke max slotted with -acc and it's beautiful, Smoke + Holds should keep the imps alive fine while Siphon, Tactics and Speed Boost powers them up. It's just going to be hard to match Enervating, until Fulcrum.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Hehe, Kinetics is the most underrated power pool in the game :shock:
Been thinking about it and the next grouping character I make will probably be Fire/Kin
Just go all out and make a Kinetics defender....massive bags of fun!
My SG are all Speed Boost addicts... could you imagine the friends you would make getting that at lvl 12?
Letania
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Letania »

I'm not big on defenders, though kin/dark interested me. I think that archetype and Scrappers need help, along with mind controllers, Earth/Ice tankers.

It just seems like kinetics is very suited on a controller, along with radiation and storm, because they don't require a lot of attention mid battle and you can focus on your controlling powers. They also don't need slots to be effective, due to their buff/debuff nature, whereas heals and force fields benefit a lot more from having slots in them.

I really want to see siphon speed self-speed boost yourself rather than just being a ghetto super speed though. I think it's lame radiation can Accel themselves but Kinetics can't Boost themselves :\
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Finally finished the first TF last night. The last mission doesn't have an archvillian at the end, but has bosses from each of the groups you fight along the way (Vahz, Clock, and CoT). Took a long time, but the group was solid (2 blaster, 1 scrapper, emp def [me], and a controller), and we had only one death the whole TF (fucking zombie bombs).

I'm loving the Acc SO I got, and I'm even more happy to have gotten this over with so I can level again!
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

We did a TF this weekend. Ended up as a group of 5 level 17's trying the Synapse one from Skyway. Lots of clockworks and all of them level 20. Very tough time of it, made tougher by a total fuckoff of a blaster who died about 18 times. I gave up trying to heal him and only would res when I could.

All in all, I was disappointed that the settings were the exact same on all the indoor missions. We never got a single variation. Plus all of the level 20 bosses, usually 2 at a time were a bit much. We saw it as a learning experience and ended up with some nice DO enhancements, certainly more than we would have been able to purchase from the store in the same time.
Adelrune Argenti
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Yeah, the TFs have to be done by a group around the max level, or you run into problems keeping all the bad guys under control.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Man, that first TF is such a clusterfuck. Needs some rework done on the storyline and the mission arcs, IMO.