Heavy Bag Routines?

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Heavy Bag Routines?

Post by Canelek »

Decided to buy a Century Wavemaster XXL free-standing heavy bag to supplement my Krav Maga training, which is only once a week. Not as ideal as a traditional bag, but better suited to not tear down walls/disturb neighbors in apartments (I will be on bottom floor). I can also purchase a uppercut "ring" that attaches easily, as well.

Having never trained on a bag before, what are some progressively intense routines I can do? Krav Maga striking is pretty much the same as traditional boxing (jab,cross,hook,uppercut) along with round kicks and round knee kicks, front kicks and snap front kicks...and heel kicks I think.

Also, how about bag gloves? I hear the Title Gel's are nice. I plan to wear wraps as well (I use 180" elastic). Is there a size chart anywhere? M,L,XL is not very handy to someone who has never bought gloves before.

Thanks!
en kærlighed småkager
Sywauja
No Stars!

Re: Heavy Bag Routines?

Post by Sywauja »

One of my instructors does one.... "The deck of cards" for Muay Thai.

We usually have a partner and switch off for each card, but it's more intense to do the entire deck by yourself.

Take a regular stack of 52 cards.
Reds are punches or elbows
Blacks are kicks or knees.
The number on the card is how many you do, but I can't remember how face cards are valued for the exercise -- I think Jacks and Queens are 15; Kings and Aces 20.

Go through the entire stack.