Problem with whey?

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Problem with whey?

Post by Kelgar »

Would the simple solution be to add more fiber and water to your diet? What's your take on this article?
Whey Too Clogged Up - How An Obsession with Body Building Nutrition Can Sabotage Your Goals
By Brandon Miller
Feb 7, 2008

When all the complex science and trial and error of bodybuilding nutrition is boiled down to its basic elements, there remain only three primary macronutrients: protein, carbohydrates, and fat. Now, by no means are carbohydrates and fats any less important or complex, but to a bodybuilder protein becomes a bit of an obsession. Determining what protein source to use at each meal and around workouts is pinnacle to reaching your bodybuilding goals. On top of that, bioavailability, ease of use, and cost per serving add even more complexity to the equation.

Let's take a look at the devastating effect of excessive whey protein use on a healthy colon. You might be Whey too clogged up. According to what is written about it, whey sounds like the perfect protein. It is highly bio-available, easy to use, mixes well, and is incredibly economical per serving. Nothing but good right? Wrong. There are many problems with whey protein use, but the focus of this article is to bring to light one problem that will derail your bodybuilding goals and leave you in serious pain. This problem is intestinal toxemia.

Wade McNutt has already written about the condition of intestinal toxemia, but the topic is very important to the bodybuilding community and deserves a more in depth look. Intestinal toxemia occurs when large particles of undigested food enter the small intestine. Since the small intestine was not designed to handle voluminous amounts of undigested food, the food products then become a haven for bacteria. Proteins putrefy, carbohydrates ferment, and fats become rancid due to the workings of intestinal bacteria. These bacteria then produce very harmful by-products that damage the intestines, reduce nutrient assimilation, create excess gas and bloating, and lead to persistent diarrhea. On top of that, mild to intense stomach pains accompany this process.

Whey protein is a huge contributor to intestinal toxemia. The reasons for this are myriad. Whey protein contains no fiber, and fiber provides the bulk necessary to keep things moving consistently through the intestinal tract. Whey protein is completely "dead", in that it has no live enzymes present to digest it, allowing for the perfect bacterial base to thrive in. Whey itself is also very acidic, throwing off the intestinal pH balance to an environment that favors unfriendly bacteria and leads to toxemia. Lastly, and most noticeably, the very properties of whey protein allow for it to stick to the intestinal tract. If you aren't convinced, here's a fun and quick experiment to show just how hard it can be for your body to remove whey "sludge" from the intestinal tract. Take a pinch of whey protein in between your thumb and pointer finger. Now, add a few drops of water (or vinegar to mimic stomach acid) to the powder and move your fingers around to create a paste. Do you see how sticky and gooey that paste is? Getting it off your fingers is actually not that easy. Now image scoop after scoop of the stuff in your intestinal tract, and it is of little surprise that your body has a difficult time removing whey protein.
http://www.selfgrowth.com/artman2/publi ... nter.html]
Last edited by Kelgar on September 12, 2008, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Problem with whey?

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Myself (and many others) have had no problems at all with Whey, but we use it as a supplement, not a replacement.

Some peeps DO get extremely gassy.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yes I think the key phrase in that article was "excessive whey protein use". Some people seem to think the more protein powder you consume the more muscle you will build. Those people are dumb. I'd say two a day or something wouldn't be harmful. One in the morning (or whenever) and one after a workout.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kelgar »

I use about 4 scoops a day for about 110-120 grams of protein plus however much I'm getting from the 200 or so grams of chicken or beef that I typically eat. I also eat a bowl of bran flakes for breakfast, take 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil with each of my protein shakes, and drink about 8 cups of water a day.

I'm not overly worried, but was curious to see if anyone here has heard of regular non-hardcore body builder types getting nasty intestinal sludge and the consequent "overstuffed sausage" looking abs that comes with it.

Scroll down a bit to see what they look like.

http://www.proteinbreakthrough.com/
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Kelgar wrote:I use about 4 scoops a day for about 110-120 grams of protein plus however much I'm getting from the 200 or so grams of chicken or beef that I typically eat. I also eat a bowl of bran flakes for breakfast, take 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil with each of my protein shakes, and drink about 8 cups of water a day.

I'm not overly worried, but was curious to see if anyone here has heard of regular non-hardcore body builder types getting nasty intestinal sludge and the consequent "overstuffed sausage" looking abs that comes with it.

Scroll down a bit to see what they look like.

http://www.proteinbreakthrough.com/
What's causing these GH-guts of today is HGH (Human Growth Hormone).

It's not the supps such as whey proteine-powder.

Big difference in physiques if you compare a Natural BB such as J Rod to Jean Pierre Fux and Nasser with their roided physiques and pregnant bellies.

J Rodriguez

Nasser and Fux
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_mopC4zkMY <---

Keep using ProteinePowder supplements but stay of the juice!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--