2015 State of Your Technology

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

2015 State of Your Technology

Post by Winnow »

Time to review what you have and what you plan to possibly get for 2015

Categories: Cut and paste the below list and type away! (not all inclusive so add a category if needed)

PC:
Home Theater:
Gaming/Consoles:
Cell/Mobile:
Wearable:
Tech Related:

PC:

Current:

2009 i7 920
680 GTX graphics
10+ TB of data storage, partially mirrored
46" 1080P displays

2015:

My best ever researched and performing PC upgrade from 2009 continues to perform extremely well with just minor upgrades like 680 GTX card and some added memory.

Primary reasons to upgrade:

4K gaming/Displays
New reversible USB high speed ports
Older SATA not giving me full throughput on SSD HDs
2007 PC 180 Tower case is still nice but showing it's age, dead fans, etc.

if 1TB SSD drives drop into the 300-350.00 range, I'll start getting rid of old spin drives for mass storage.

Likelihood of upgrading this year: Pretty high

Home Theater:

Current: Samsung 46" smart TVs

Reasons to upgrade:

Relatively cheap 4K TVs with display port allowing single connection to PC are starting to appear
Also used as PC monitors so 4K useful immediately

Likelihood of upgrading this year: Pretty good

Gaming:

Current: PS4, Xbox One

Not likely to change except for adding possible Morpheus or Microsoft peripherals.

Cell/Mobile:

Current: iPhone 6+ 128GB, iPad Air

Not likely to change, best phone on the market. Possibly buy 12" iPad Pro if released and depending on specs.

Wearable:

Current: Oculus Rift DK2

Anything that is released I'll buy: Oculus CV, Microsoft HoloLens, Morpheus (maybe depending on resolution), Magic Leap

Tech Related:

I'm not into Drones, home automation (yet), etc so not much to put here. Always a chance I'll get new headphones, mice, etc.
------

Driving force for purchases/upgrades this year would be the move to 4K resolution. I bought my first HD TV in 2001, well before anyone else on the forum. Think I picked up the 27" 1080P first as well (might be wrong on that) so I'm an early adopter with displays. 4K is the optimal resolution for VR devices, new nVidia 970/980 DirectX 12 can drive and take advantage of 4K resolution games.

Trends:

The old "every 2 year PC upgrade" concept is totally gone. 4+ years minimum with a few upgrades seems like plenty.

Phones seem stable with every 2 year upgrades.

Wearable may be the new yearly upgrades. With advances in VR and AR coming rapidly, we'll see major improvements on a yearly basis.

I've moved back to PC gaming primarily instead of consoles and see it staying that way since the current PS4/Xbox One won't come remotely close to the quality of games that will be out on PC over the next few years. PS3/Xbox 360 had a little longer life before they showed their age. This gen's consoles were weak to begin with. Consoles are still best for online gaming (except MMORPGs) so they have their place. Being able to stream all Xbox One games onto your PC may add some life as well since games will be launchable from the Xbox app in Windows 10.

At some point in the next couple years, my VR/AR device will be more important than my PC. 2016 may be that year if rumors of Samsung having a 4K display in their Note 5 are true.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: 2015 State of Your Technology

Post by Spang »

PC:

i7-4770K CPU @ 3.5GHz
16 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 650
2 TB hard drive
16 GB RAM
20" Dell 2007FPW Ultrasharp™ Flat Panel Monitor Wide

Mac:

i5 CPU @ 2.53GHz
8 GB RAM
500 GB hard drive
15" display

TV:

60" Samsung LED Smart TV

Console:

PS3

Phone:

iPhone 5s 16 GB

I don't plan to upgrade anything.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: 2015 State of Your Technology

Post by Ransure »

PC:
Home Theater:
Gaming/Consoles:
Cell/Mobile:
Wearable:
Tech Related:

PC: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro - upgrading my laptops every two years or so, upgraded from original Dell XPS13. My work laptop sucks so I travel with my personal and remote into my work PC.
Gaming/Consols: none
Cell/Mobile: Iphone 6 128gb/ipad Air 64gb LTE
Wearable: Jawbone up24
Tech Related: I was in the home automation business for many years until the real estate market started to fall out. Now its more fun as a hobby. I have a number of WeMO outlets/switches in the house. About 10 Phillips Hue bulbs, 2 x Harmony Home Simple remotes with base and recently picked up a staples connect hub (not configured yet) to help tie things together. Installed an Ecobee3 last month and loving the remote sensors they have really helped the comfort level of my home office on hot days (south facing windows on the second floor and a garage underneath). Installed Solar on the house last year and thats producing about 40% of our total electricity usage.

Also added a motorized standing desk to the office this year... love that, now when working from home i stand for most of the day has helped a lot with back pain at the end of the day.

http://www.ergodepot.com/Jarvis_Desk_p/jrv.htm
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!