Windows 10

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Windows 10

Post by Aslanna »

Windows 10 silently uses your bandwidth to send updates to others

Yet another awesome Windows 10 "feature" on by default.
WUDO can be disabled. Go to Start > Settings > Updates & security > Windows Update > Advanced options and then select Choose how updates are delivered, and use the toggle to turn Delivery Optimization off.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If it uses more than half of my 2TB/month data cap I'll let you know!

Nice thing about Astrill VPN's little app is that I can always see up/down bandwidth.

I have it turned off.

Windows 10 continues to be great. I clicked the start button earlier. lol! Old school. It's like opening a dos window or something. Windows Key is much more convenient. At least the mouse clickers are happy that don't use shortcuts. Must be the same group that clicks the hotbar buttons to use skills in MMORPGS instead of using the keyboard.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Chris Hoffman at HowToGeek.com has an excellent overview of 30 different ways Windows 10 collects data and sends it to the Microsoft servers. If you haven’t yet read that article, you should. By default, Microsoft starts adding data to your Advertising ID, sharing that data with Universal (nee “Metro”) apps. There’s a list of every URL you visit, and every program you download. Location and location history. Voice, writing, and speech patterns. Contacts, calendar events, handwriting, typing “history.” Communication history from messages and apps (presumably including Universal Mail). All of your usage telemetry. All of your searches, even local, get sent to Bing and Windows Store. BitLocker recovery keys (with some nuances) are saved, unencrypted, in the Microsoft cloud. Windows Defender malware samples. Edge sends along every character that you type in the search box. If you use a Microsoft account, you also send many of your settings to Microsoft’s servers, along with a list of all devices you’ve logged in from. Windows 10 can use some of your bandwidth to upload patches to other computers.

Many of those settings can be turned off; some can’t. Many of those settings exist in Windows 8.1. Few are in Windows 7. Some are brand new to Windows 10.
I really don't know why everyone is jumping on this "free" upgrade like it's the second coming. Or something Apple just released. It's not free just because Microsoft likes you!
But Microsoft could certainly do a better job of putting these options in a single place and better explaining them, though. They’re scattered not just across Windows 10’s interface, but across a variety of different Microsoft websites.
That you can't set them all from within the OS interface is pretty awesome itself. You have to go to different websites for some options!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Forced updates ftw!
This morning, Bogdan Popa at Softpedia reported on problems with yesterday's KB 3081424 Windows 10 rollup patch. The error goes like this:
When trying to install KB3081424, it fails at a certain percentage and triggers a computer reboot. Once the user logs back in the operating system, the update attempts to install once again with the same result, so the exact same behavior is experienced over and over again.
The installation fails with the following error: "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing the changes." Since essentially all Windows 10 users at this point are not behind an official Update Server, the patch gets offered again.

Such are the vagaries of forced updating. The error repeats, again and again. About all you can do is get your work done before Win10 Update tries to install KB 3081424 and crashes again.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Chris Hoffman at HowToGeek.com has an excellent overview of 30 different ways Windows 10 collects data and sends it to the Microsoft servers. If you haven’t yet read that article, you should. By default, Microsoft starts adding data to your Advertising ID, sharing that data with Universal (nee “Metro”) apps. There’s a list of every URL you visit, and every program you download. Location and location history. Voice, writing, and speech patterns. Contacts, calendar events, handwriting, typing “history.” Communication history from messages and apps (presumably including Universal Mail). All of your usage telemetry. All of your searches, even local, get sent to Bing and Windows Store. BitLocker recovery keys (with some nuances) are saved, unencrypted, in the Microsoft cloud. Windows Defender malware samples. Edge sends along every character that you type in the search box. If you use a Microsoft account, you also send many of your settings to Microsoft’s servers, along with a list of all devices you’ve logged in from. Windows 10 can use some of your bandwidth to upload patches to other computers.

Many of those settings can be turned off; some can’t. Many of those settings exist in Windows 8.1. Few are in Windows 7. Some are brand new to Windows 10.
I really don't know why everyone is jumping on this "free" upgrade like it's the second coming. Or something Apple just released. It's not free just because Microsoft likes you!
But Microsoft could certainly do a better job of putting these options in a single place and better explaining them, though. They’re scattered not just across Windows 10’s interface, but across a variety of different Microsoft websites.
That you can't set them all from within the OS interface is pretty awesome itself. You have to go to different websites for some options!
I agree that during and after installing windows 10, everyone should go to Privacy Settings and turn everything off. I use Firefox/Chrome as my browsers. Even if these settings were left on I don't think Windows 10 tracks your searches in those browsers.

Caution is always a must with internet connected software/OS.

You do know Google is tracking everything you do right? As is Yahoo and your ISP if you use default DNS servers. I use VPN 100% of the time which has it's own DNS. Every 4-6 months I force change my IP as well. Not a bad idea if you remote connect.

Can always use:

https://duckduckgo.com/

for privacy searches.

Pretty hard to find a major tech/net company that doesn't track you. Try Facebook! I have no (real) Facebook account or Twitter which I equally hate. There's plenty to be worried about regarding privacy on the net. Turning off some settings in Windows 10 isn't a big deal.

Windows has been outstanding. Better than 8.1 which was better than 7 if you figured out how to press the windows key. 8.1 was rock solid and smooth. 10 fixes the UI issues and remains a super stable platform.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Windows 10's Xbox App Is Awesome, Even If You Don't Have an Xbox
http://lifehacker.com/windows-10s-xbox- ... 1723617404

Good stuff from a great OS. Cracks me up all those people still on Windows 7. Tech grannies.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Windows 7 forever.

Fuck Microsoft and their ugly fuckin UI.
Okay. But. For that much trouble I’d just put a computer in my living room.
Exactly.

Try again! I mean.. I know you're desperately trying to find anything that makes Windows 10 look appealing but that's not going to happen. There's no reason for people running Windows 7 to upgrade. Other than to be sheep and to think they are getting something for nothing.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The OS is rock solid. I didn't get it for nothing. I paid for Windows 8 Pro. $35!!!11! It's a free upgrade not free software. Hello!?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Baaaaaa!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/microsof ... l-hardware
Microsoft’s updated End User License Agreement terms and conditions let it disable any counterfeit software or hardware and, if you’re running a Windows 10 computer, you’ve just agreed to them.

Section 7b – or “Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms” – of Microsoft’s Services EULA stipulates that it “may automatically check your version of the software and download software update or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.”

This means that, if you use Windows 10, a Windows phone, or any of Microsoft’s other services, Redmond can disable any games you’ve pirated or devices you’ve unlawfully hacked.
Sounds like half the programs Winnow is running are going to stop working!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Surprisingly, I don't think I have any pirated software left on my PC! If I do, it's not something that I use often as I can't think of anything off hand.

Movies/TV, are a different story.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Windows 10 won’t run games that employ SafeDisc or certain versions of Securom DRM, rendering hundreds of old disc-based games potentially unplayable without complex workarounds. Games which used these forms of DRM range from Crimson Skies to Grand Theft Auto 3, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 to the original The Sims.
Better set up dual boot if you want to play some of your older games! Which apparently all the MS people want to do since they flipped their shit over backwards compatibility on Xbox.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: since they flipped their shit over backwards compatibility on Xbox.
They pulled a Sony!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Ugh...ended up helping my mom pick out a new laptop so she can work from home, as well as let my oldest niece use for homework. Of course the laptop came with Win10 installed, and I haven't used it at all...I just keep ignoring the little pop up telling me that my upgrade is ready on my Win 8.1 desktop PC.

It took a while, but I was able to figure out what it was doing with the Office 365 Premium install. Now I have run into something I didn't expect. The laptop actually had a DVDRW drive. The problem is that nothing pre-installed seems to handle DVD playback. I understand that Microsoft made a player available for people who were upgrading to Win10, but that same App seems to be $14.99 if you were a sucker that bought a Win10 machine.

Are there any actual working alternatives to the Windows DVD Player app? I thought VLC for Windows Store would work based on online feedback, but I seem to be incapable of finding any options for DVD playback in it. There was a version of Cyberlink software which I thought was designed to work, but it won't even start.

Halp! Halp!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Review: New Windows 10 version still can't beat Windows 7
All of these are good reasons for Windows 7 users to sit tight and see what unfolds.

It was easy to give Windows 10 RTM a vote of confidence when it originally shipped on July 29, but now that we see how slowly the changes are coming, the enthusiasm is starting to wane. It’s getting harder to envision a future where Windows 10 is a platform for Universal apps across phones, tablets, and desktops -- and even harder to imagine a future where app developers give two hoots about Universal apps.

At some point, we’ll have to bite the bullet and switch simply because Windows 10 is new and Windows 7 is old -- not because Windows 10 is better.
Duh. I've ben saying that since the beginning!

(As far as DVD playback goes in Windows 10.. I don't know!)

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Windows 10 is great as was 8.1.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not as great as Windows 7. Obviously.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Not as great as Windows 7. Obviously.
It's better than Windows 7. I've used them all. Whiny UI people don't realize how good the back end is. Rock solid OS.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Rock solid OS.
So is Windows 7.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Windows 10 Users Start Seeing Full-Screen Ads As Screen Savers
Added features over Windows 7. Who WOULDN'T want to upgrade?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Oh you mean this?

The horror!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Never knew an ad counted as a fact, tip, or a trick. I guess that falls into the "more" category.

But figures you miss the big picture as usual.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Never knew an ad counted as a fact, tip, or a trick. I guess that falls into the "more" category.

But figures you miss the big picture as usual.

Big picture = free and a simple toggle.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
Oh you mean this?

The horror!
Funny how that option is only available in "Picture" mode
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Epic co-founder: Microsoft is plotting to monopolize game making on Windows 10
Just another reason why Windows 10 is the worst OS Microsoft has ever unleashed. I guess since they lost the console sector they needed to find a fallback.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If you’re running any version of Windows on your PC that isn’t Windows 10, you’re undoubtedly familiar with Microsoft’s persistent efforts to push users to upgrade, by way of pop-ups and automatic installations. Those days will be over soon, as Microsoft is promising to stop nagging folks come July.

“Details are still being finalized, but on July 29th the Get Windows 10 app…will be disabled and eventually removed from PCs worldwide,” Microsoft told WinBeta in a written statement.

Which is certainly a relief for the many customers who were irked to find Windows 10 downloading on its own, or seeing it appear as a “recommended update”.
Yay. I can finally start applying updates in Windows again. I do security updates manually but have been avoiding all the others due to MS being shifty.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I just added a registry key that got rid of it, I got super sick of those fucking upgrade messages.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Windows 10 is the best Windows Operating System I've ever used. It's excellent.

I guess my PC updates so fast now that I don't even notice updates!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I am not sure how that's relevant to people not running Windows 10... and who don't want to run Windows 10... But thank you for the update!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:But thank you for the update!
With "update" being the key word as to why it's relevant. People seem stressed about the updates. Mine are seamless in the background. Get an SSD NVMe and 300Mbps net connection and shit happens so fast you don't notice it at all.

Don't get why people still using ancient versions of Windows. Must be a hipster thing!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:With "update" being the key word as to why it's relevant. People seem stressed about the updates. Mine are seamless in the background. Get an SSD NVMe and 300Mbps net connection and shit happens so fast you don't notice it at all.
The reason we are "stressed" is because we don't want Microsoft forcing Windows 10 on us through the updates system. Not sure why that's so hard to comprehend! It has nothing to do with the rest of the updating system.

If they made, or had left, the Windows 10 install optional, sure. But they've been sneaky and have made it a Recommended update and people are finding it installed even if they didn't want it. That's no bueno in my book.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:With "update" being the key word as to why it's relevant. People seem stressed about the updates. Mine are seamless in the background. Get an SSD NVMe and 300Mbps net connection and shit happens so fast you don't notice it at all.
The reason we are "stressed" is because we don't want Microsoft forcing Windows 10 on us through the updates system. Not sure why that's so hard to comprehend! It has nothing to do with the rest of the updating system.

If they made, or had left, the Windows 10 install optional, sure. But they've been sneaky and have made it a Recommended update and people are finding it installed even if they didn't want it. That's no bueno in my book.
Yeah, but they did that to assist the general retard population that end up becoming bots because their PC are hacked. People that want to can figure out how to shut auto updates down. I think it's a good thing. Should read the stats on the crazy number of zombie bots out there.

The OS itself is outstanding.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Yeah, but they did that to assist the general retard population that end up becoming bots because their PC are hacked. People that want to can figure out how to shut auto updates down. I think it's a good thing. Should read the stats on the crazy number of zombie bots out there.
I still don't think you are understanding the issue. In general updates are fine and before Win10 came along I generally let the auto-updater it do it's thing and didn't worry about it. Nobody is talking about there here. Except you.

HAVING WINDOWS 10 INSTALLED ON MY PC THROUGH WINDOWS UPDATED WITHOUT ASKING ME IS NOT FINE!! THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING!!

Either comment on that or don't bother.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: HAVING WINDOWS 10 INSTALLED ON MY PC THROUGH WINDOWS UPDATED WITHOUT ASKING ME IS NOT FINE!! THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING!!
I agree nags and auto windows update to best version isn't the overall smoothest way to do things. You can create a protest web page about that part, but the actual OS is actually worth updating to. Microsoft is well aware of the bot situation etc and since they've changed to constant update process instead of major versions every few years, they want everyone one it as it helps developers as well ad the end user.

They even had some sort of update recently enhancing gaming performance so that's not an issue either anymore.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I agree nags and auto windows update to best version isn't the overall smoothest way to do things. You can create a protest web page about that part, but the actual OS is actually worth updating to.
If it's so worth updating to then why not allow people to make that decision themselves instead of stealth updating them to Windows 10? Exactly. Because MS is being sneaky fucks.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:I agree nags and auto windows update to best version isn't the overall smoothest way to do things. You can create a protest web page about that part, but the actual OS is actually worth updating to.
If it's so worth updating to then why not allow people to make that decision themselves instead of stealth updating them to Windows 10? Exactly. Because MS is being sneaky fucks.
I agree, probably was a poor approach to speeding up the process of getting people on the best version of Windows. It's still well worth updating to, especially before the free update ends in a month or so.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Free windows 10 upgrade ends July 29th. Chop chop!

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-altering-it ... 1782740251

Best thing will be people complaining about Windows 10 (best Windows OS yet) that will have to pay for it at a later date after bitching about the free upgrade.

yeah yea, you aren't going to ever upgrade...sure you won't.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I got a bajillion WIndows 10 activation codes so you don't have to worry about me. When the time comes that I am FORCED to upgrade (if I want to receive security updates) then I will reluctantly install it.. And just use one of those keys. Oh nos still free whaaaat?!

I already proved with a WM install that I could mostly make Windows 10 look like Wndows XP/7 with ClassicShell as far as the UI goes so it won't be as painful as it could be with having to live with those shitty titles.
[Show]
Much better!

Too bad it can't fix that shitty Windows Explorer. I'm not sure who develops that over at Microsoft but they should be fired.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

As a reminder, just in case anyone gets suckered into the "free" Windows 10 upgrade on the last day it is available... Things to do during/after the install:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3095284/ ... ivacy.html

Look at all that stuff you have to, or should, disable! Ridiculous how it's all over the place.

Now that the long nightmare is just about over it will be nice not having to worry about MS installing it on my PC in the middle of the night without my permission.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Best version of Windows I've ever had. Next best would be Windows 8.1.

Don't like that Cortana will be on no matter what with Windows 10 Anniversary edition but not going to cry about it!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This is it, everybody: Last call for a free Windows 10 upgrade. Starting tomorrow, Microsoft will stop pestering you to claim your free Windows upgrade and start charging you for it. If you think you might cave sometime today, start your download sooner rather than later -- if you PC isn't running Windows 10 by midnight, UTC-10 (6AM ET tomorrow morning) the upgrade will cost you $119.

Yes, we're aware you probably know this already -- goodness knows Microsoft hasn't let you forget -- but the specifics of the deadline were a little unclear. When we asked Microsoft to clarify, we were told that 23:59 UTC-10 marked when the upgrade downloads would be cut off, meaning that your download must be complete, not initiated, by that time in order to receive the free upgrade. If you try to upgrade tomorrow morning at say, 5:30AM, you may be too late.
There's still time. Hurry!
Here's how to turn off Cortana in the Anniversary Update , before Farkers falls for the clickbait bullshiat that that the mods will green in a few hours- days.
Click Cortana
Choose Notebook
Choose About me
Select User Account
Select Sign Out
Yes it's that easy
/Running the update(14393.5) right now as a fast ring insider
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:As a reminder, just in case anyone gets suckered into the "free" Windows 10 upgrade on the last day it is available... Things to do during/after the install:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3095284/ ... ivacy.html

Look at all that stuff you have to, or should, disable! Ridiculous how it's all over the place.
Apparently that doesn't do as much good as Microsoft wants you to believe:

http://bgr.com/2016/02/10/windows-10-sp ... stigation/
While setting up a fresh copy of Windows 10 Enterprise Edition on VirtualBox, the user went through and disabled all three pages of tracking options, one by one. He then left the computer running for eight hours overnight, and returned to find that Windows 10 had attempted to contact 51 Microsoft IP addresses 5,508 times.

After 30 hours, over 112 IP addresses had been contacted.
The most damning aspect of the entire investigation is the fact that Microsoft is lying to us when it gives us the ability to turn certain tracking features off. No matter what you do, or which settings you disable, Microsoft isn’t going anywhere.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft has now backported all of those tracking features into windows 7 via windows update.
Unless of course you don't update your Windows 7 which I doubt.

When it comes to Windows 10 privacy, don't trust amateur analysts
Another day, another sensational report from Forbes. Oh my goodness, is Windows 10 really "phoning home" thousands of times a day? Nope. In fact, anyone who has even a basic understanding of how networks work should cringe at this shoddy report.
Keep fucking that chicken and using an old OS (that does the same thing) when there's an excellent one available.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I'm glad the ridiculous reminders have finally stopped. Thanks, I'll get 10 when I get a new pc sometime down the road. I'll keep the 8.1 with everything working as it should
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

By the way.. You might want to avoid the Anniversary Update.. If you're able to.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/310969 ... -back.html

Yay forced updates ftw! I guess that's not a problem when the OS is perfect as Windows 10 is. ROCK SOLID! As in like a brick.. When it leaves your system unusable. lolz.

Hope you don't use a Webcam!
Microsoft broke millions of webcams with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update
Millions!
Microsoft is facing a torrent of backlash from consumers and businesses complaining that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update has broken some third-party USB cameras. The update, released on August 2nd, reportedly dropped support for two major video compression formats — specifically the H.264 and MJPEG codecs. According to Microsoft-focused blog Thurrott.com, this was supposedly a decision the company made to prevent performance issues now that certain Windows apps have more direct webcam access post-update.

Now, millions of Windows users are discovering that their webcams are freezing up, even when trying to stream via Microsoft-owned Skype. The issue is said to effect many popular webcams from big-name peripheral makers like Logitech on the hardware side, while numerous apps and services that rely on the codecs are being crippled from the software side.

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Years later and Microsoft still can't get their shit together when it comes to Windows 10 updates. For having so much money to spend on development you'd think they'd be able to release an update that doesn't fuck things up. The October patch was actually pulled back.. And then not re-released until NOVEMBER and is still a hot piece of trash.

I'm sure glad MS forces those updates on people. But I guess deleting people's files does make things more secure so there's that.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

As spotted by Paul Thurrott, the update also breaks the seek bar in Windows Media Player when playing "specific files."
Wow, people actually use the default Windows Media Player still? I sometimes forget most people use the lame default file manager as well.

I do agree that people who are only interested in surfing the web/email and don't play games could get by with using a chromebook or something other than windows.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Microsoft should be ashamed. They are the laughing stock of the OS world. Nearly every 'patch' breaks shit. Aren't patches supposed to fix things? Every day is opposite day over on Microsoft's Windows team.

--