TruCrypt

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

TruCrypt

Post by Winnow »

One of the official webpages for the widely used TrueCrypt encryption program says that development has abruptly ended and warns users of the decade-old tool that it isn't safe to use.

"WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues," text in red at the top of TrueCrypt page on SourceForge states. The page continues: "This page exists only to help migrate existing data encrypted by TrueCrypt. The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014 after Microsoft terminated support of Windows XP. Windows 8/7/Vista and later offer integrated support for encrypted disks and virtual disk images. Such integrated support is also available on other platforms (click here for more information). You should migrate any data encrypted by TrueCrypt to encrypted disks or virtual disk images supported on your platform."
Nothing is secure anymore. I'm curious of the NSA (or other spook agency) already has a backdoor or if it's just potentially hackable. There haven't been any cases of Trucrypt being cracked yet. It might be a case where the NSA knows but won't use the info except in the more serious situations (terrorism, etc)...similar to when the allies cracked the German encryption in WWII and let cities be bombed without warning the people in order to not reveal they could decode it so they could use it for a larger purpose of winning the war.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: TruCrypt

Post by Aabidano »

That blows, I don't trust Windows encryption. (Not that it would mean anything if someone from law enforcement were to gain access to anything I have encrypted.)

Some folks announced a code review or TruCrypt a while ago to see if it'd been tampered with. Would assume this is related and it's been intentionally, undiscoveredly broken for a long time.

Only someone doing something to draw the NSA's ire would have anything to worry about at a guess? That isn't a cat they'd casually let out of the bag by letting slip they could break it as would happen if the hack became widely used or was used as evidence. Evidence of the FBI pounding away at things they'd like to use as evidence for years on end and the lengths they go to compel users would suggest they don't have it. Or aren't willing to let it be known they do, I guess.

Here's a starter list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... n_software

Find me a new product!
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:That blows, I don't trust Windows encryption. (Not that it would mean anything if someone from law enforcement were to gain access to anything I have encrypted.)

Some folks announced a code review or TruCrypt a while ago to see if it'd been tampered with. Would assume this is related and it's been intentionally, undiscoveredly broken for a long time.

Only someone doing something to draw the NSA's ire would have anything to worry about at a guess? That isn't a cat they'd casually let out of the bag by letting slip they could break it as would happen if the hack became widely used or was used as evidence. Evidence of the FBI pounding away at things they'd like to use as evidence for years on end and the lengths they go to compel users would suggest they don't have it. Or aren't willing to let it be known they do, I guess.

Here's a starter list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... n_software

Find me a new product!
It's easy to see if it's been cracked. Just keep eye out for news. If it's been cracked, we'll know pretty fast. "if" the NSA (etc) has cracked it, I imagine they will wait to reveal that until something major. I'm sure they'd rather be able to snoop into everyone's files than reveal that they know how.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:It's easy to see if it's been cracked. Just keep eye out for news. If it's been cracked, we'll know pretty fast. "if" the NSA (etc) has cracked it, I imagine they will wait to reveal that until something major. I'm sure they'd rather be able to snoop into everyone's files than reveal that they know how.
If you know some highly naughty person has done something, finding some other justification for a souper sekrit warrant without showing your hand should be easy? Assuming it's someone or something a warrant would ever be requested for. Plus, these aren't folks looking for copyright violators or trying to expose politicians "hiking the Appalachian trail"...
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:
Winnow wrote:It's easy to see if it's been cracked. Just keep eye out for news. If it's been cracked, we'll know pretty fast. "if" the NSA (etc) has cracked it, I imagine they will wait to reveal that until something major. I'm sure they'd rather be able to snoop into everyone's files than reveal that they know how.
If you know some highly naughty person has done something, finding some other justification for a souper sekrit warrant without showing your hand should be easy? Assuming it's someone or something a warrant would ever be requested for. Plus, these aren't folks looking for copyright violators or trying to expose politicians "hiking the Appalachian trail"...
That's what I'm saying. If you have pirated movies, music etc in a TruCrypt container, they aren't going to be busting down your door anytime soon even if they can see it, and they won't be telling a publisher making a complaint against you either.