Copy.com (like dropbox)

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Copy.com (like dropbox)

Post by Winnow »

There's a new cloud storage service out there called copy.com which is similar to drop box.

It has a few things going for it:

-supports all the major platforms including iOs and Android
-decent starting free 15 GB (+5 GB if referred) to start with
-no file size limits
-easy sharing

Dropbox is the best IMO but it only allows small files to be uploaded which is a hinderance. It also is a pain to get a decent amount of storage space on Dropbox with it starting at 2GB and then you need to jump through hoops to in crease that only by a little. Copy.com makes it pretty easy to start with 15GB and get another 5GB if you want by clicking on a referral link (I'll provide mine which give you as well as me an additional 5GB of space)

From my experience, skydrive sucks for sharing links, dropbox is excellent but limited in space and file size. Dumptruck was nice for me but uploading files has become very unstable even though it's fast it fails like mad. Google Drive is ok but it's uploads are slow as hell. (download speeds are better)

If you want 20 GB of space with a decent interface, unlimited file sizes and support of the major OS/Mobile OS's, give it a shot:

For 15GB +5GB use this link: copy.com Nice move on their part to have the referral benefit both referrer and person being referred. The +5GB appears to be a limited offer while they promote their new service.

I'll follow up later on as I test it out. I frequently upload TV shows/movies for just one or two people to download so it will get some use in the next week to test on upload/download speeds and reliability.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Copy.com (like dropbox)

Post by Winnow »

Tested out copy.com that I linked above with the 15+5 GB cloud storage.

Uploaded 1 GB file: Upload sustained speed ~14.8 Mbps, and Download speed: 28 Mbps

Impressive. As a comparison. I can't get more then 4 Mbps upload speeds ever on Google Drive when uploading files. Also worth noting was how stable the upload stream was. It didn't drop below 14 Mbps and mostly varied between 14.6-14.9 Mbps.

Download started out at crazy fast speeds (50-90 Mbps) but leveled off at 28.9 and was mostly stable with a few brief dips to ~17 Mbps but the 1 GB file was downloaded in 4 mins. Upload time for 1 GB: 8 mins. Biggest hindrance to these services is upload speed (if you have the bandwidth available). Second is not having to have the person downloading a file jump through hoops to download a file (skydrive/google make you log in)

Now to test reliability over time. Might be useful for those that occasionally like to post comics, etc on this board as well.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Much like your vaunted LTE mobile speeds; it's only good because it's not popular, and if it doesn't become popular it will go out of business, so it won't stay good.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:Much like your vaunted LTE mobile speeds; it's only good because it's not popular, and if it doesn't become popular it will go out of business, so it won't stay good.

That's total speculation but who cares? I'll take advantage of it while it maintains the easiest sharing combined with fastest speeds and also have the other services as a backup.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Another thing you can do is point one of your copy.com sync folders to your dropbox folder and you'll have cloud redundancy.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Cloud storage = lame. Pass!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Why does it suck?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Aslanna wrote:Cloud storage = lame. Pass!
Generally yes. Especially if you don't have a way to encrypt everything prior to upload; independent of whatever they're (supposedly) doing. They aren't offering freebies to be nice, they're making money off everything.

Plus unless you're paying, and generally not even then you've no guarantee your data will be available when you need it, or ever for that matter.

Dropbox is handy for lists & such. Keep my recipes there too.

Quicken offers free, encrypted cloud storage for Quicken data files. I'd be super surprised if they weren't mining data from their customers, assume if so there's some attempt at anonymization but you never know. "Oopsie!" seems to work well for Apple and Google.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

...hence cloud redundancy! And yes, use truecrypt to encrypt your personal photos for example before uploading them. Also good for various config settings, etc.

I use dropbox to upload images I link on forums, ect. copy.com as well.

copy.com is better for temp large files you might want to get to someone with a simple link for download without any hoops to jump through before downloading. Dropbox is pretty limited in space.

With new mobile apps, copy.com, dropbox, etc have become very convenient for accessing data from multiple devices.

I also use Springpad.com to create private folders to send various media, movies, links, photos, etc to people. It's also just an excellent online free service to organize crap online

https://springpad.com/
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Zaelath wrote:Much like your vaunted LTE mobile speeds; it's only good because it's not popular, and if it doesn't become popular it will go out of business, so it won't stay good.

That's total speculation but who cares? I'll take advantage of it while it maintains the easiest sharing combined with fastest speeds and also have the other services as a backup.
Total speculation, yeah, because over-subscription isn't a basic tenet of all service businesses. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overselling

But yes, as long as you're uploading to both, after encrypting everything, it's super convenient...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Winnow wrote:

Total speculation, yeah, because over-subscription isn't a basic tenet of all service businesses. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overselling

But yes, as long as you're uploading to both, after encrypting everything, it's super convenient...
Again, not sure why you have such a negative attitude toward bandwidth for free services but I still don't see your point. I grab them all and use the best performing/convenient ones. If that changes...wow...imagine this...I'll change which one I use! Holy shit! What a concept.

What point are you arguing? Do you not know how brain dead easy it is to encrypt files? Are you using a PC with some archaic CPU? And no, you don't have to upload to both, or even one...but why the fuck not? If you have slow upload bandwidth, sure, I can see why you're not every enthusiastic as you'll suck no matter what, but for those of us with fast upload speeds, this is highly useful.

There are other points I addressed that make copy.com better in certain ways than just bandwidth. (scroll up)

BTW, my LTE bandwidth is just fine. I'll let you know if it drops off immediately. I can setup an alert if you want to notify you kind of like a hazardous weather alert so you'll know even if it's like 4am your time,.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Why does it suck?
cuz
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm up to 45GB of space, thanks.

https://copy.com/?r=oakiiT

Just to follow up on this service. It's remained the fastest online storage I've used for uploading large files. Easy hassle free public linking of files.

Can still use link above to get extra 5GB (20GB total) of free space if you ever need it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

After three months, this is still the best free online storage I've used out of Dropbox, Skydrive, Box, and a handful of others.

Sizable amount of free storage and the fastest upload speeds and most stable. Also the most hassle free public/private link generation with one click downloading.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I still use copy.com heavily and it's speed/reliability have been great.

This has my interest. Chinese company is offering 10 TB of storage free with servers possibly based in the U.S.
International users can soon get their hands on 10TB of free cloud storage from China’s Tencent

Chinese Internet giant Tencent is looking to dole out a jaw-dropping 10TB worth of free cloud storage to its international users soon, as it seeks to roll out an English version of its cloud storage product next year, PandoDaily reports.

Peter Zheng, the Shenzhen-based vice president of Tencent’s social network group, tells PandoDaily that the company will bring its cloud storage offering to the US in early 2014. It is also launching an English version of Story Camera, an Instagram-like watermark-based photo app already popular in China, in the next two to three weeks.

In August, Tencent started courting Chinese users with its very generous gift of space — as it sought to out-do its rivals Baidu and Qihoo, which started giving away 1TB worth of free storage.

As Tencent gets into the game with an English version of its cloud storage service though, it looks set to attract way more users around the world who want to get their hands on this colossal amount of space — which, to be honest, seems almost impossible to finish using.

The whopping 10TB puts the free space given by Dropbox, Box and Microsoft to shame. At their maximum amounts, Dropbox has offered free space amounts ranging from 25-50GB as part of promotional deals with Samsung and HTC, Box has offered 50GB of free storage with file-size limitations before, and Microsoft upped the storage space for its SkyDrive Pro offering from 7GB to 25GB.

However, just as with the Chinese rollout, Tencent will likely kick in the same caveat for its cloud storage offering — that is, you won’t get the whole 10TB worth of space at one go. Instead, Tencent will top up your storage space as you deplete it.

To put privacy concerns at ease, Zheng tells Pandodaily that the international data will probably be stored on servers outside of China — in the same way that Tencent’s messaging service WeChat uses servers in the US and Southeast Asia.

As Tencent is taking big strides to conquer overseas markets — early this month it was said to be vying to lead an investment round into Snapchat, after it led a $150 million investment in design-focused e-commerce service Fab in June — offering cloud storage like this could be a great trojan horse for promoting its services in the US.
10 TB is an ass..nay...a fuckload of storage for free. Looking forward to testing the up/down speeds on this after it's out. More important is how easy it is to share links, if you can create image folders, etc. Copy.com is still great for extreme ease of sharing a download link with someone without them having to jump through hoops to download the file. Dropbox is still easiest for simple picture linking in forums like this.