Lenovo Y500

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Lenovo Y500

Post by Zamtuk »

So my HD crashed in my laptop and I turned around and bought this puppy. I read some reviews and they were all great and it turns out that there is a massive sale on these. My model is as follows:

Intel i7 2.6ghz
16GB RAM
1TB + 16GB SSD
Dual nVidia GT750M
Windows 8 (I have a Windows 7 install disk in case it blows as bad as I hear)

$949 (in addition to the $470 off from Lenovo, I haggled in a few extras)

I typically don't care much for laptop performance, but is this a good deal/comp?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Lenovo Y500

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote: Windows 8 (I have a Windows 7 install disk in case it blows as bad as I hear)
Windows Key toggles between Metro Start and Desktop.
Windows + X pulls up the advanced "start menu" (can also right click in the bottom left corner)

Knowing those two things (especially Win Key + X) should alleviate any major trouble finding things with Windows 8.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Or just wipe the drive and install Windows 7 from the get-go and save yourself some time.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Aslanna wrote:Or just wipe the drive and install Windows 7 from the get-go and save yourself some time.
Not worth the bother IMO, while I prefer Win7 it's not so much that I'd bother rolling back.

We've had a succession of misc Lenovo laptops floating around the office, no complaints against any of them. Dunno about not-office use.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I can see not upgrading to Windows 8 but rolling back from Windows 8 to 7 doesn't make sense unless there was a legacy software issue.

Windows Key
Win+X

Most issues with Windows 8 come from people not taking the time to review the new commands and then complaining they can't find anything. Whether you like them or not, they aren't difficult to figure out if you take a few minutes.

Windows 8 has been outstanding. Best version I've ever used for stability.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aabidano wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Or just wipe the drive and install Windows 7 from the get-go and save yourself some time.
Not worth the bother IMO, while I prefer Win7 it's not so much that I'd bother rolling back.
I was talking to Zamtuk!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

After messing around with this bad boy over the weekend, I really like it. It runs Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3 at full settings with zero lag and averaging over 75fps. The sound is surprisingly amazing with JBL speakers. I didn't need to hook this up to any sound equipment or use headphones, and it was great.

Cons: I'm really not sold on Windows 8. Yeah, I get that it's for a touchscreen, but I don't have a touchscreen so fuck off with giving me massive icons. That said, I'm customizing it day by day, and have a feeling that by the time I am done with it, I will be fine with it. There are a lot of cool little features that I really enjoy, and I see what they are trying to do. Also google scares the shit out of me. I start up my computer, get chrome, and literally EVERYTHING is as it was on my old laptop...cookies/registration/passwords/et al. I was still signed into vv when I opened this thing. Also, and this is my main complaint, there are no media keys on the keyboard. The typing is the best I've ever had, but with no mute, forward, play/pause, previous buttons, it severely limits my use. I'm a big fan of running spotify in the background and those keys are essential, especially the mute key. Oh, and the volume keys are FN + arrow? Fuck. You.

Also, my first computer with an airplane mode...LOLS
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

My last job was a Lenovo shop, and, aside from this one laptop that was just plain twitchy, the IBM/Lenovo machines were decent performing but really shined in how hard to break they were.

Their desktops were troopers. Some of them had been under teller stations for years, untouched until we had to upgrade their RAM. I'd open the side panel and literally scoop a mass of dust and cobwebs out with my hand, blow out the remains with a can of air, swap the sticks, and boom they'd go right back into service.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt