Microsoft Surface Pro (128GB)

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Microsoft Surface Pro (128GB)

Post by Winnow »

I mentioned I was going to get one of these awhile back and finally picked up today. I waited because I wanted to be able to walk into a store and buy it and also wanted there to be stock on hand in case an exchange was needed.

I bought the 128GB Pro Version (full blown Windows 8 Pro) because, along with a 64GB SD card, it would be enough to function for me as an "ultrabook" replacement.

I picked it up this morning at Best Buy, and good thing I waited as my screen had yellow splotches similar to what my iPhone 4 had. I went back and exchanged it with no hassle at Best Buy. Just FYI, yellow splotches isn't very common on Surface Tablets but I won the splotch lotto.

I got the second unit home, went through the Windows Pro updates. No splotches this time. About 30 minutes later I'm using a news app and hear an audible "pop" and my Surface Pro goes completely dead. Before the pop, the battery was around a 30% charge. I checked the power cord and the LED light was on indicating the device was getting power. A trip to Microsoft's tech support site and I tried the two ways to turn it on...push the on button...or push the on button for 5 seconds. Nothing.

I returned it and got my $999 back.

So, when working, they were really fast and impressive as they should be with an i5 processor and Intel HD 4000 graphics (same as Mac Air).

I'm guessing I was really unlucky as I haven't seen any major issues with the Surface Pros but I won't be getting another one. I could hear the fan inside it and that's just not right coming from a tablet. I understand it's really an ultrabook but I'm not a "fan" of moving parts.

For the short time I was able to use it, the wacom stylis pen worked well and the non splotched screen looked great. From my experience, I can't say I'd recommend getting any kind of Surface (RT or PRO). Maybe next generation.

-------------------

I'll find another Windows based tablet to buy. I might get the Asus 18" Windows 8/Android tablet coming out next month.

This is what I might get instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csy0399bPPc

It's an 18.4 inch tablet that runs windows 8 docked. The tablet itself has its own Tegra 3 processor and runs Android. You can also remote connect and keep using Windows 8 while it's undocked. It has an easy button on the side that toggles between Windows 8 and Android. 1920x1080 10 point touch screen.

It's going to be $1,299

Not that I use my Nexus 7 at all, but having the option for both Win 8 and Android at the click of a button isn't bad. The Windows Remote is powered by Splashtop which is one of the better RDPs.

I'd rather have Windows 8 native on the tablet as well though. The new Dell XPS 18:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd0ncOAgic8

Cost less but has weaker specs, but it does have windows 8 in the tablet itself. Hmmm. It starts at 899 but that's with a crap processor. More for the i5/i7.

I'll have to research both of them (and anything else coming out) I kinda like the idea of an 18.4 inch tablet since I already have 3 iPads and a Nexus 7.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Microsoft Surface Pro (128GB)

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I mentioned I was going to get one of these awhile back and finally picked up today. I waited because I wanted to be able to walk into a store and buy it and also wanted there to be stock on hand in case an exchange was needed.
Did you think there was a shortage or something? From what I heard they're not exactly flying off the shelves.
I bought the 128GB Pro Version (full blown Windows 8 Pro) because, along with a 64GB SD card, it would be enough to function for me as an "ultrabook" replacement.
You have to buy an extra SD card since the 128GB model has anything but 128GB usable.
From my experience, I can't say I'd recommend getting any kind of Surface (RT or PRO). Maybe next generation.
I can't say that came as a shock. Not sure why you wasted your day going back and forth to Best Buy in the first place.
Microsoft has sold little more than a million of the Surface RT version and about 400,000 Surface Pros since their debuts, according to three people, who asked not to be named because sales haven’t yet been made public. The company had ordered about 3 million Surface RTs, they said. Brent Thill, an analyst at UBS AG, had initially projected that Microsoft would sell 2 million Surface RT devices in the December quarter alone.
Nice that they screwed up the desktop OS for Windows 8 by adding all that touch crap in it. That's sure helping their tablet sales!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Aslanna wrote:
Microsoft has sold little more than a million of the Surface RT version and about 400,000 Surface Pros since their debuts, according to three people, who asked not to be named because sales haven’t yet been made public. The company had ordered about 3 million Surface RTs, they said. Brent Thill, an analyst at UBS AG, had initially projected that Microsoft would sell 2 million Surface RT devices in the December quarter alone.
Nice that they screwed up the desktop OS for Windows 8 by adding all that touch crap in it. That's sure helping their tablet sales!
You're forgetting their all but dead Windows 8 mobile OS: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/15 ... t_selling/
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You misunderstand (as usual) I may have run into hardware issues with the surface but I still like Windows 8. I'll just be getting different hardware for my portable/tablet.

Windows Blue leaked and its not much different than Windows 8 so keep enjoying XP. Windows 8 has been the most stable, smooth Windows I've had.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:You misunderstand (as usual) I may have run into hardware issues with the surface but I still like Windows 8. I'll just be getting different hardware for my portable/tablet.

Windows Blue leaked and its not much different than Windows 8 so keep enjoying XP. Windows 8 has been the most stable, smooth Windows I've had.
No, you misunderstand. Windows 8 was to unify Windows desktop with two failures and create a third failure.

I can say the same "stable, smooth" mantra about Windows 7 and it's compatible with everything I already own.

If the choice was actually between XP and 8, I'd be right there with you, but you keep on propping up that straw man. It's funny, if a little pathetic.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's OK, I get it. Not everyone is quick to adapt. Some people are set in their ways and refuse to learn new things or maybe just aren't that bright. It's pretty entertaining watching you clowns complain about Windows 8 like those goofballs that make videos about Windows 8, made look to look completely retarded because they simply didn't know how to use the new OS.

Microsoft had to adapt their OS to touch as everything is moving that direction. They added a touch friendly environment on top of their existing OS. It works just as fast (faster actually) and the "Metro" does not get in the way. I break out laughing every time you people complain about it as I hardly even see it while the rest of the OS is solid as a rock and a joy to work with.

The problem I have with you people is that you keep trying to imply the Windows 8 sucks when it's simply you not knowing how or wanting to take the time to learn an OS that is much better designed for the future. The start menu complaints are the tip off that you have zero clue and didn't take 5 minutes to learn that everything in the start menu is a right click instead of a left click away. Once you figure that out you can stop hyperventilating and looking like idiots. Who cares if you stick with Windows 7. Good for you but Windows 8 doesn't suck.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I guess you only steal shit when there's no risk involved.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Spang wrote:I guess you only steal shit when there's no risk involved.
What fun would that be? You can rest assured that I pump way more into this economy than you do.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Winnow wrote:You can rest assured that I pump way more into this economy than you do.
I couldn't care less.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Spang wrote:I guess you only steal shit when there's no risk involved.
What fun would that be? You can rest assured that I pump way more into this economy than you do.
You do? I thought you were a day-trading trustfund-baby that doesn't contribute anything of worth at all to the economy.

I thought you were at least an honest thief, turns out you're a moral relativist and even more worthless than expected.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote: You do? I thought you were a day-trading trustfund-baby that doesn't contribute anything of worth at all to the economy.

I thought you were at least an honest thief, turns out you're a moral relativist and even more worthless than expected.
I thought you were satan and ate babies. That's probably just as accurate as the jibberish you just spewed out.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I thought we were talking about something else entirely.

My only real regret about buying windows 8 is that I didn't take advantage of the sale and buy another copy before it ended. Though to be fair I haven't really scratched the surface of the OS yet. So, maybe I'm lucky I didn't?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I thought we were talking about something else entirely.

My only real regret about buying windows 8 is that I didn't take advantage of the sale and buy another copy before it ended. Though to be fair I haven't really scratched the surface of the OS yet. So, maybe I'm lucky I didn't?
Windows 8 is excellent Bubba. The people whining on this forum are upset over the "Metro" start screen which for anyone that's used Windows 8 knows is barely used if you don't want to use it. The rest of the OS is similar to Win 7, just improved and fine tuned. It's been extremely stable and smooth for me.

I'm really glad I picked up Win 8 Pro for $39.99.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I have a Surface RT from the Office that I use on a daily basis and I love the thing. It's great as a secondary device that I bring to meetings and just go general tasks that I don't want to being my laptop for.

All in all, it's suited my needs just fine.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:I have a Surface RT from the Office that I use on a daily basis and I love the thing. It's great as a secondary device that I bring to meetings and just go general tasks that I don't want to being my laptop for.

I agree. The functionality of it worked fine. I just happened to get two lemons in a row which appears to be very rare according to what I researched. The Pro version was fast/fluid, unlike Android which feels sticky no matter how fast the processor.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Winnow wrote:
Animalor wrote:I have a Surface RT from the Office that I use on a daily basis and I love the thing. It's great as a secondary device that I bring to meetings and just go general tasks that I don't want to being my laptop for.

I agree. The functionality of it worked fine. I just happened to get two lemons in a row which appears to be very rare according to what I researched. The Pro version was fast/fluid, unlike Android which feels sticky no matter how fast the processor.
My only gripe with the Surface RT is the Touch keyboard that came with. The thing works well for a tactile keyboard and the trackpad is awesome.

My boss will be buying the Type keyboard this week.. That one should improve things dramatically.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I don't use Windows 8 at home because it isn't faster than 7 in any way that matters to me. In fact, it's still slower in most games. I don't use it at work because none of our core programs have been "appified" to work with tablets, so the only thing upgrading would gain us short term is having to teach 300 marginally computer literate primates how to find their programs and files again.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

New Surfaces announced!

Microsoft announced new versions of the Surfaces last week.
Both devices feature a 2nd position for the kickstand with apparently makes it easier to use in situations where you would like to use it as a laptop on your lap as well as a host of other situations.
Devices are up for Pre-sale now, shipping Oct 22nd

Surface 2 - Starts at 449$:
Successor to the Surface RT.
Features:
Upgraded Display (1080p ClearView, like the Surface Pro)
Faster processor
Slightly thinner and Lighter
Color is now silver instead of Black.

Surface Pro 2 - Starts at 899$
Improved Battery Life (Biggest issue with the original pro)
Haswell CPU line
Improved GPU performance
New configuration includes 8GB RAM and a 512MB SSD (Price rumored at 1700$)

Accessories:
Type Cover 2 - Supports all versions of Surface - Features Illuminated keys

Touch Cover 2 - Supports all versions of Surface - Features 1000+ pressure sensitive touch points vs the 80 from the Original Touch Cover. Much more precise and slightly thinner.

Power Cover - Supports Surface 2, Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 Extends your battery up to 50% on the Surface Pro. Apparently use this with a Surface Pro 2 and you get approx. 2.5x the amount of battery that the Surface Pro offered. (~10hrs vs 4) - Coming Early 2014

Docking station - For Surface Pro and Pro2 - Drop your Surface into it, and slide in the side wings of the dock to use it as a desktop. From what I can see, the sides you snap into place have a power connector, Mini Displayport and USB port. You don't need to remove whatever cover you have on your Surface Pro to dock into this. - Coming Early 2014
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Looking this over, there are a lot of nice features in this year's refresh of Surface. Still not sold on the viability of Windows RT but at least Surface 2 additional power (Tegra 4) should make it a better/smoother overall experience.

I'm lying if I said I didn't want any of the new features of the Surface Pro 2 however my Pro is still an excellent machine so I won't be upgrading(especially at that cost). This is NOT a yearly upgrade machine.

I was particularly interested in the Power Cover before I heard the price. Apparently this bad boy will be 200$. This makes a twisted amount of sense if you figure the Type Cover is 120$. These accessories are overpriced by about 30% IMO.

The Surface lineup that will be available on the 22nd of Oct is as follows:

Surface RT - Starting at 349$
Surface 2 - Starting at 449$
Surface Pro 2 - Starting at 899$
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft is offering 200.00 trade in for iPad 2, 3 and 4's and 200.00 for iPhone 4s or later. If I can figure out a reason to get one, I could trade in my iPad 2 and get one pretty cheap. I typically end up giving away my old electronic stuff or throwing it away so it's an interesting offer from Microsoft.

I absolutely love my iPad. It's been three years since usable tablets were released and I consider it a default core addition to my daily life, and will continue to own own and upgrade them, no matter what brand happens to be best in the future.

While I don't see switching from iOS in the near future, I could see myself actually using the Surface a little while an Android tablet is redundant to the iPad.