Support, Discussion, Reviews
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Official Windows 8 Blows Thread

Post by Zaelath »

You don't know me at all G+

/sob

Speaking of, given I knew there was a tool to capture this image in Windows 7, I could find it via start -> all programs -> accessories -> (look for the tool since I dunno it's name)

How good is Windows 8's guesses at what I'm searching for here if you don't use "snipping tool" as the search term? (I might eventually have guess that, but I don't use it enough to recall and Win7 search finds it if you know the name too)
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Windows key + F
Click Apps

You'll find the Snipping tool under 'Windows Accessories'
It's fewer keystrokes than Windows 7.

Seriously dude, things are just as easy (if not easier) to find in Windows 8.
Trying to say that they aren't just makes you look kinda stupid.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

also, for those that don't know (ignorant), when you place your mouse where the precious start button would be (lower left corner by default) the window to switch to "Metro" pops up that you can select. If you right click that icon instead of left click it, you get this menu:

Isn't that fucking amazing? Look at all the shit you can access right where the start button used to be? It's a god damned miracle. The super secret sauce to all of this is that you have to right click instead of left click. OMFG, that's way too much to ask anyone to do.

I mean jesus, you can access search, control panel, task manager, device manager I COULD GO ON AND ON!!11

For you morons out there...searching...old windows 7. you click the start button and type....windows 8, you left click the same location where that miraculous start button was and start typing in a more advanced search. Or, you hit a single key (windows key) and start typing which is even faster than in windows 7. Or, you right click and can access everything that was on your fucking start menu anyway.

I'm trying to find a gentle way to say that you're idiots but can't find one.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote: I'm trying to find a gentle way to say that you're idiots but can't find one.
It's cool man, use whatever term you like, most people wear disagreeing with you as a badge of honour so there's no need to be gentle.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

miir wrote:Windows key + F
Click Apps

You'll find the Snipping tool under 'Windows Accessories'
It's fewer keystrokes than Windows 7.

Seriously dude, things are just as easy (if not easier) to find in Windows 8.
Trying to say that they aren't just makes you look kinda stupid.
Windows Key + F is mentioned nowhere for the newb that I saw, so how would I "hunt and peck" up that command?

Less key strokes != easier.

And while I agree the more keyboard shortcuts you can put into an OS the better it is for productivity for the power user, I don't deal with a lot of power users day to day... (walk around a random office and ask people to open Windows Explorer, most of them will open Internet Explorer and the rest are unlikely to use Win + E when I've been doing that for years..)

You argument is that "after training, things are easier than they were before", and my rebuttal would be, "yeah, so?"
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Honestly the times I use Search in Windows are about twice a month. if that. I know where everything is so it's not a deal breaker either way. However the shitty Windows 8 interface is a definite deal breaker!

Not only that but I don't suffer from Upgradeitis. I looked a the features of Windows 8 and there's really nothing compelling there hence there's absolutely no reason to give Microsoft $50. Just goes to show that the old saying "some people have more money than sense" is accurate!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Honestly the times I use Search in Windows are about twice a month. if that. I know where everything is so it's not a deal breaker either way. However the shitty Windows 8 interface is a definite deal breaker!
Not wanting to upgrade is fine. Saying Windows interface is shitty is just plain ignorant though. It's as easy or easy to do anything in Windows 8 as it was in Windows 7, and all in desktop mode. You don't need to access charms (as I demonstrated in my last post). It comes down to the search window filling the entire screen which somehow has completely freaked people out. That's the only difference. You can get to all the funcions on the search menu just was easy (as I just demonstrated with a simple right click exactly where the search button used to be) so I'm really not sure what sucks about the UI. The metro part it is actually pretty damn cool. I'm liking the apps. I like navigating in them even using a mouse. I put up the news apps on my third screen and it's like having an active newspaper all the time. They look fantastic and take advantage of a full screen. For anyone that's actually used it awhile (I guess only myself and mirr) it gets better, not worse over time. But again, take a deep breath and listen...it's 100% optional. You don't have to touch one of those scary RT apps EVER in Windows 8 if you don't want to.

The UI doesn't suck and the "old school" desktop is also enhanced. Nothing sucks about it. Nothing about "metro" slows anything down. You don't even have to see "metro" and you just said you search two times a month which makes saying Windows 8 sucks even more comical because that's the ONLY time you even need to lay eyes on it.

As for the full screen search paranoia. There is an support groups app that can make the background transparent so it really doesn't look like it's filling the whole screen (not that you could do a fucking thing while searching for an app in window 7 either...but if it makes you feel better and lowers the blood pressure, there's an app for that.

So all these absolute fucking retards that made youtube videos that some people here took hook line and sinker about how hard it was to get to control panels, device managers, etc...they just needed to maybe take the time to figure out how a simple right click would get them there instead of acting like idiots that would have been schooled left and right if anyone was sitting there that had taken a moment to learn the basics.

You see all of these things?

They're a right click away...faster than windows 7. The big change? You press the right button instead of the left button. Hell, you could even do it blind because you just need to get your cursor to the bottom left corner (while blind, move your mouse both back toward you and to the left)...you don't even have to "reach" for the start button with your eyes open. If you know how to type without looking, you could close your eyes, left click in the corner and then type your search...when you open your eyes you'll see the results! Can't do that in windows 7 because you have to actually click on the button...unless you do a keyboard shortcut...but wait...you can do that with a single key in windows 8!

But yeah, Windows 8 sucks...just because!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

That's hardly going to win the "intuitive interface" award though, now is it?

I dunno man, you seem to get a hard-on relearning things for no benefit, and more power to you for it. But as I said, I'm not supporting power users and neither are corporate offices, they're supporting a herd of barely computer literate people who are valuable for things other than ability to drive the latest OS efficiently.

That you "can do" things faster that actual users never do, or aren't allowed to do, doesn't help much either.

It's not like you even normally pay for MS products, so you're not the target market. Corporate is where the gold is and this isn't going to get them any points.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Zaelath wrote:You argument is that "after training, things are easier than they were before", and my rebuttal would be, "yeah, so?"
That keyboard shortcut is not new.
Windows Key + F for search predates Windows XP
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

miir wrote:
Zaelath wrote:You argument is that "after training, things are easier than they were before", and my rebuttal would be, "yeah, so?"
That keyboard shortcut is not new.
Windows Key + F for search predates Windows XP
Fancy, never used it, no need. Win + E and search (which is renamed find, but the shortcut is not, so the shortcut instead of being intuitive is not) window is right there... plus I've never just searched the whole computer.

There's roughly 400 settings in Word, I've used about 5 of those too. If one became mandatory I'd think that was a training issue as well.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

So what exactly is your point?
I've seen people that are too stupid to even figure out how to use the start menu.
The only way they can find programs is if the shortcuts are on the desktop.

The Windows 8 (metro) start screen makes it easier for the stupidest of users to find things.
It also makes it easier for normal users (who are not too pigheaded and stubborn) to do things.

It takes only about a week of using it before it becomes second nature.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

miir wrote:So what exactly is your point?
I've seen people that are too stupid to even figure out how to use the start menu.
The only way they can find programs is if the shortcuts are on the desktop.

The Windows 8 (metro) start screen makes it easier for the stupidest of users to find things.
It also makes it easier for normal users (who are not too pigheaded and stubborn) to do things.

It takes only about a week of using it before it becomes second nature.
I think you make 2 unproved assertions there.

Besides, most users don't read any of the documentation before they start using an OS, regardless of their level of computer literacy and I don't see any "easier" things that don't require training so you're immediately saying there is a training cost for switching and no actual benefit other than the OS looks like the phone and/or tablet that they don't own.

It's the Office argument. Everyone stayed on Office 97 until the format change made it annoying to pass documents or they got the new one bundled, the same thing has happened with every new version because Word and Excel did what was required 15 years ago so there's no benefit to relearning where they've moved everything this time and a lot of annoyance.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

What about old people? They have a hard enough time with more intuitive Windows OS's.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I really hate the Ribbon bar. Does that make me ignorant? No it just means I don't like a stupid feature the product has. Same goes for Windows 8. The exception being that I have to use new versions of Office at work. And it sucks every time I want to do something. I don't have to use Windows 8 and choose not to. I don't know why some people here seem to take that so personally. Not everyone agrees with everyone about everything. Get used to it!

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

The ribbon bar is fucking stupid. Almost as stupid as metro.

Funny how long Winnow has been arguing about how great Win8 is but is just now pointing out the above 'feature'. I'll take this to mean you didn't know about it and just discovered it, thus proving the point of it not being intuitive.

Thanks for proving our point that Windows 8 sucks. Move along now.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji, you may rank as one of the dumbest people on this board. Be thankful Spang is still posting.

I've had zero issues navigating anywhere in Windows 8. I post examples of how easy it is for you ignoramuses because of the inane shit that spews out of mostly you, aslanna and Zaelath's pie holes. I suppose I could just wait and let you people look even dumber by waiting awhile and let you build up to a frenzy of saying stupid inaccurate shit and then make your comments look stupid once a week in a journal format if you want instead of daily.

This is the easiest thread ever. On one side you have concrete examples and responses addressing how far off the mark you are vs "windows 8 sux!"
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

A friend of mine attended the MS conference in Chicago last week and the Windows 8 Metro screen was addressed in the keynote. MS knows that the UI is not as intuitive for people without a tablet. Basically, they said they don't really care. It's so simple, people will adjust. Besides, they are focused on the future and the Metro UI is very much focused on devices and products to come.

As for me? I don't really care one way or the other. It may take a couple of days to get used to it but once I doI tend to not look back at old tech, including operating systems.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

"I shouldn't have to install a program" aside - you can:

http://lee-soft.com/vistart/

viola win 8 with a start menu, for free.
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:Siji, you may rank as one of the dumbest people on this board. Be thankful Spang is still posting.

I've had zero issues navigating anywhere in Windows 8. I post examples of how easy it is for you ignoramuses because of the inane shit that spews out of mostly you, aslanna and Zaelath's pie holes. I suppose I could just wait and let you people look even dumber by waiting awhile and let you build up to a frenzy of saying stupid inaccurate shit and then make your comments look stupid once a week in a journal format if you want instead of daily.

This is the easiest thread ever. On one side you have concrete examples and responses addressing how far off the mark you are vs "windows 8 sux!"
Just for shits and giggles, here's a thread where we made exactly the opposite arguments about "OMG, Firefox doesn't open searches in a new window"

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 01#p324901

(I still use ctrl+t, but alt-home isn't needed since everything searches from the address bar these days)

It's funny watching you degrade your argument slowly into nothing but ad hominem attacks and proof by assertion. It's like the interactive version of Fox News.
Last edited by Zaelath on December 4, 2012, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Stolen from the other thread since I want to contain all the news of how Windows 8 is a failure, both from a user perspective and sales-wise, into a single place!
Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:I think you know "licenses sold" isn't really a great indicator of how many people are actually using it.
What the hell does that mean? You can say the same about any new version of Windows. It's still selling more than Windows 7 did during the first month.
It means exactly what it says. It's sitting on a bunch of computers that nobody is buying!
Do you have any statistics or comparison to the Windows 7 release regarding a bunch of computers no one is buying?
Here you go.. Some statistics. What do you have other than "it's selling more than Windows 7 did"? Which it more than likely isn't.
New figures show that Windows 8 usage a month after launch parallels that of Windows Vista rather than Windows 7 -- one more piece of evidence that Windows 8's launch has been a poor one for Microsoft. But there's more to the figures than meets the eye. Are things really as bad as they seem for Windows 8?

Net Applications reports that during November, 1.2% of all Windows PCs were running Windows 8. That's generally comparable to the launch of Windows Vista, which in its first month of launch was running on 1% of all Windows PC. As for Windows 7, it had 4.3% usage share after its first month.

Microsoft, for its part, claims that 40 million Windows 8 licenses have been sold since launch -- although that number is not the number of people who have actually bought Windows 8, but instead Windows 8 PCs that have been shipped to retailers or distribution points.

Still, even with Black Friday added in, it's unlikely that the Windows 8 launch was a winner, considering the Net Applications usage numbers. While it's true that some percentage of Black Friday buyers were buying Windows 8 PCs for presents, it's likely plenty were also buying them for themselves. A 1.2% market share for Windows 8 after its first month compared to a 4.3% for Windows 7 for its first month shows that for now at least, Windows 8 takeup hasn't come close to matching that of Windows 7.
Yes. It's selling like hotcakes, obviously!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Just for shits and giggles, here's a thread where we made exactly the opposite arguments about "OMG, Firefox doesn't open searches in a new window"

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 01#p324901

(I still use ctrl+t, but alt-home isn't needed since everything searches from the address bar these days)

It's funny watching you degrade your argument slowly into nothing but ad hominem attacks and proof by assertion. It's like the interactive version of Fox News.
I don't follow the point your trying to make with that thread reference. My point with searches opening in new tabs was one of reducing keystrokes. People seemed to think it was ok to hit control-t to open a new tab while I thought it made more sense to have a setting that automatically opened a tab in a new window. Same with address bar searches and click and dragging hyperlinks on a page to open them in new search windows. Also opening bookmarks automatically in new tabs. Most people would prefer a new tab open when researching things on a browser. Why always type "CTRL-T" when you can just start typing and get the results you're looking for in a new window? It's the same with the click and drag plug-in to open links in a new window. Click and drag a few pixels and release is easier than right clicking and selecting "open link in new tab". It seems counter intuitive to open a tab before you search when it can be opened automatically, saving a step.

I don't see how that relates or goes against what's been presented in this thread which shows that Windows 8 takes either less or the same amount of keystrokes or clicks to search than windows 7 with the rest of the start menu options being available easier than before with a simple right click. Typically my main focus is efficiency. Windows 8 is efficient using three methods of input; Mouse, Keyboard or Touch. I haven't seen any argument to the contrary disproving that on this thread.

Choosing not to upgrade to Windows 8 is completely separate from claiming Windows 8 sucks with no actual reasons why that aren't disproved. The biggest roadblock to Windows 8's success is the refusal of some to learn something new, even if it's better and makes more sense for an OS to include touch functionality moving forward. Take someone that's used to typing on a mechanical typewriter and have them try and create a word document. They'll suck at first and actually be more efficient on what they're comfortable with but I think even someone as dense as Siji would eventually have to admit that the word processor is more efficient. Windows 8 takes a couple weeks of adjusting. Same with digital radios...what the fuck? All I used to have to do was turn two knobs. Now I have to push buttons and there all of these menus!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

The point was Windows 8 is apparently better if you remember a lot of keyboard shortcuts and special hot corners and that right-click does obscure context sensitive actions, where as I was arguing "opening search in a new tab" was every bit as possible with a couple of keyboard shortcuts.

In any case, carry on with your proselytizing. You remind me of the Pope; he seems to be an Apple/tablet/trend follower too, though he seems to have a servant to operate his iPad for him from the video I saw announcing his new twitter account.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:The point was Windows 8 is apparently better if you remember a lot of keyboard shortcuts and special hot corners and that right-click does obscure context sensitive actions, where as I was arguing "opening search in a new tab" was every bit as possible with a couple of keyboard shortcuts.
You don't need to remember any new keystrokes. You either press the windows key or you move your cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen and right click. So essentially, the difference between windows 7 and windows 8 comes down to either left clicking or right clicking in the corner of the screen.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Windows 8 causes PC sales to drop by 21%. Not good!

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-wind ... ft-2012-11
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

“It hasn’t made the market any worse, but it hasn’t stimulated things either,”
Fairweather, you are better than this. It says it right there in the article that it isn't the cause. Could it be that everyone thinks they need a tablet these days? Or smart phones? Or have decided they don't need to buy a new pc because money is tight?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

http://bgr.com/2012/12/06/windows-8-cri ... droid-ios/

Summary article about a tablettouch-centric review, a lot of it translates though, like the stupid place the shutdown is hidden.

He's old though (49) so I'm sure it's just because he's resistant to change*

*Edit: After reading the blog post, he's running it on "Dell XPS One 27 computer with a quad-core i7 CPU, 16 GB of RAM and a solid state hard drive accelerator ($2600)", so you can tell what a Luddite he is.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:http://bgr.com/2012/12/06/windows-8-cri ... droid-ios/

Summary article about a tablet-centric review, a lot of it translates though, like the stupid place the shutdown is hidden.

He's old though (49) so I'm sure it's just because he's resistant to change.
And again, it's just ignorance. CTRL-ALT-DELETE gets you to the sign in/sign out/switch user, shut down, and task manager. It's not "hidden" it's just different than Windows 7. You and your old buddy probably just think it's only accessible from dem'dere charm thingies!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Zaelath wrote:http://bgr.com/2012/12/06/windows-8-cri ... droid-ios/

Summary article about a tablet-centric review, a lot of it translates though, like the stupid place the shutdown is hidden.

He's old though (49) so I'm sure it's just because he's resistant to change.
And again, it's just ignorance. CTRL-ALT-DELETE gets you to the sign in/sign out/switch user, shut down, and task manager. It's not "hidden" it's just different than Windows 7. You and your old buddy probably just think it's only accessible from dem'dere charm thingies!
Yeah, it's there, and no one uses it from there.

I would suggest putting an *action* under the *settings* menu is hiding it.

If you put the salad bar in the kid's play pen at a restaurant, I would also think that's hiding it, even if you could also get salad by asking the staff at the counter.

Plus, and more importantly, he's reviewing a TOUCH OPERATING SYSTEM, so where's ctrl-alt-del?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Plus, and more importantly, he's reviewing a TOUCH OPERATING SYSTEM, so where's ctrl-alt-del?
I don't know about you but I rarely "shut down" any of my tablets. Maybe for a firmware update or something. You turn them off. (there's a power button for that. AMAZING!)

On a touchscreen, getting to the shut down is even easier with just a swipe in from the right side of the screen. What the hell is so hard about that? I would think it actually makes sense to have it one layer deep as you rarely completely power off a tablet device. If you're on a keyboard system then CNTL ALT DELETE works great. Same way you got to the task manager before. I do it all the time to lock my PC and never once thought it was a chore to get to. Switching users is even easier on the metro screen but you can cntl alt delete to do that as well if the Start screen still scares you.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Zaelath wrote:
I don't know about you but I rarely "shut down" any of my tablets. Maybe for a firmware update or something. You turn them off. (there's a power button for that. AMAZING!)

On a touchscreen, getting to the shut down is even easier with just a swipe in from the right side of the screen. What the hell is so hard about that? I would think it actually makes sense to have it one layer deep as you rarely completely power off a tablet device. If you're on a keyboard system then CNTL ALT DELETE works great. Same way you got to the task manager before. I do it all the time to lock my PC and never once thought it was a chore to get to. Switching users is even easier on the metro screen but you can cntl alt delete to do that as well if the Start screen still scares you.
You keep using that straw man, and it keeps on making me laugh.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Funny thing that there isn't a CNTL key.

There is a CTRL key though! Too bad Windows 8 doesn't have one
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That was your counter?

I just won the internet!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

My counter is that Windows 8 blows, and your inability to even provide any ways that it better than VISTA proves it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:My counter is that Windows 8 blows, and your inability to even provide any ways that it better than VISTA proves it.
Um, it's based off of Windows 7. Not very bright are you?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

So it is better to go to Windows 7 and skip all of of your bullshit about magical buttons
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Based off of Windows 7.. That's like saying Vista, which was a big hit, was based on XP. Which hey technically it was so I don't really understand the point you are trying to make.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:So it is better to go to Windows 7 and skip all of of your bullshit about magical buttons

It's an enhanced core based off of windows 7. Ignoring the start window altogether, the rest of the OS is better than windows 7 in teh traditional desktop mode that you're familiar with. Faster & enhanced. I could give a fuck if you upgrade but Windows 8 is fantastic and rock solid even if you just stick to desktop mode.

Have you seen a single article that says anything regarding performance other than bitching about Metro? What's lost on you people is that the traditional desktop in windows 8 is outstanding. Better than windows 7 which I used as much as anyone.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The Desktop Mode Wins, On The Desktop

After using Windows 8 for a few days now my general impression is, somewhat surprisingly, mostly positive, but this is not necessarily a vindication of Microsoft’s approach. It is simply down to the fact that as a desktop user I spend most of my time in the desktop “app”, rarely even touching the fancy new UI. As it turns out, so long as you do this, the new UI acts as not much more than a glorified replacement of the old Start menu.

It is worth noting that, so long as a desktop user sticks to the desktop mode, Windows 8 actually represents a significant improvement in user experience and performance. Windows 8 has a lighter hardware footprint and generally appears faster than Windows 8. Its desktop UI gets rid of some of the unnecessary shiny bling giving the OS a more elegant feel, and the often used Windows Explorer gains some welcome features such as the return of the up button and a ribbon-like menus with quick access to commonly used tasks. The taskbar is still there and operates just as it did in Windows 7, without compromise.

Other than relatively minor issues, a desktop user will probably find Windows 8 a surprising improvement over Windows 7. The new UI offers something extra, but it’s extra that doesn’t disrupt the familiar experience, at least not as much as many expected.

The biggest difference is that instead of the old Start menu we get the new Start screen, but this is at worst just a trade off. The new screen offers a bit more flexibility in terms of how you want to order your favorite often used applications, gives more information at a glance through integration with various cloud and social services, and arguably just looks nicer. On the other hand, it takes up the whole screen, and the list of all available applications as well as the way to bring it up (right click and then click on “All Apps”) might not be to everyone’s liking.

Leaving this trade off aside the performance improvements, a more elegant desktop UI, improved file manager, and various other details like the improved task manager, a new simpler Open With box, integration with social, messaging and cloud services for system wide notifications probably make for an improved overall experience compared to Windows 7. Of all these, however, I’d have to count performance improvements the most valuable, especially for people upgrading Windows on older PCs. I know of at least one case where Windows 8 actually made an old computer run faster.

Perhaps the biggest problem Microsoft has with Windows 8 is the perception problem, which will make it hard for people to see past their fear of unknown and initial impressions. When most people take a first look at Windows 8 the first thing they see isn’t the faster and more elegant, arguably even a more powerful desktop OS. Instead they see this new alien UI that we don’t even know what to call yet (since MS retired the “Metro” name and left it without replacement). So those looking to replace their desktop and laptop PCs see something they can’t easily wrap their heads around, and those who might be looking for a tablet just see an alternative to Android and iPad, looking at it with a critical eye that it deserves.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

"Great Big War Game, a popular iOS and Android app, made only £52 in its first week on Windows RT. In an angry blog post titled 'Windows RT — Born to fail,' UK-based developer Rubicon blamed Microsoft for the paltry sum and said it won't be bringing any more of its titles to the fledgling platform. It seems Microsoft refused to promote the app as it would only run on Windows RT devices. However, Microsoft quickly got in touch with Rubicon, and the post was deleted and replaced with an apologetic response saying, 'Microsoft have graciously decided work with us to iron out the problems and get us past this incident.' Rubicon will be hoping that £52 figure improves quickly, as it spent £10,000 porting the game to Windows RT."
Well yeah because who even has a Surface tablet? What with that horrendous Windows 8 OS Microsoft is scaring people off to Apple and Android devices.

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote: Other than relatively minor issues, a desktop user will probably find Windows 8 a surprising improvement over Windows 7. The new UI offers something extra, but it’s extra that doesn’t disrupt the familiar experience, at least not as much as many expected.

The biggest difference is that instead of the old Start menu we get the new Start screen, but this is at worst just a trade off. The new screen offers a bit more flexibility in terms of how you want to order your favorite often used applications, gives more information at a glance through integration with various cloud and social services, and arguably just looks nicer. On the other hand, it takes up the whole screen, and the list of all available applications as well as the way to bring it up (right click and then click on “All Apps”) might not be to everyone’s liking
Even your hand-picked, unattributed review struggles to pretend the new UI isn't disruptive, instead tries to blame the customer like you do. That *always* works well, "You're holding it wrong" was a media triumph for Apple for example.

As for the new Start screen providing flexibility, yeah, randomly ordered annimated tiles are obviously the best interface possible when you're trying to assist some newb find their applications run. It could only be better if they were randomly resorted every time the machine was rebooted.

Entertaining as always, 5 stars.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

There are changes but they aren't bad. They are different and require getting used to. Kind of like when people stopped riding horses and started driving cars. I'm sure people were upset they couldn't stick a hot poker up a car's ass to get it to go faster but when they figured out all they had to do was press the gas peddle down more, it was all good. You'll figure it out eventually. I think Microsoft may have underestimated the dumbass factor in our population but those people will darwin themselves away eventually.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

pyrella wrote:Image
Nice, looks like Windows 7!

...which I already have.

As an aside, I believe (though haven't tested) "Classic Shell" gives a start button in Win8 also.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

So HP released their brand of start menu replacement for Windows 8. I had it install automatically through their support tool.

Ugly as sin.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You don't need a start menu add-on. You already have an awesome start menu built into Windows 8. What you people need is a big ass button that takes you to the start menu. (for those that can't push the windows key (you know, same key that also opened the start menu in window 7) or prefer poking around for a button instead of just moving your cursor to the bottom right corner and clicking.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:You don't need a start menu add-on. You already have an awesome start menu built into Windows 8.
The problem is it's not as good as the one that comes with Windows 7. Because Windows 8 blows.

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Animalor wrote:So HP released their brand of start menu replacement for Windows 8. I had it install automatically through their support tool.
Microsoft: We have a new fantastic interface where we changed everything and hid all the stuff your users have grown accustomed to over the last decade or more! But it's great! Really!

OEM: Yeah, about that. We brought a start button back because your new interface sucks ass and we don't feel like bearing the support load from our customers because of your dumb ass design.

Microsoft: /pout
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. It's easier than Windows 7. Faster, more efficient. Some people just can't break old habits. They also usually die earlier than others.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Just so we're clear, I don't use that menu replacement. Is was installed automatically by HP's support tools (easy way to get driver and firmware updates from the OEM. That thing was auto-installed by the updater. I *like* the metro UI.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. It's easier than Windows 7. Faster, more efficient. Some people just can't break old habits. They also usually die earlier than others.
The proof by assertion and ad hominem attacks stopped being funny 2 pages back. If you don't actually have an argument, why don't you just admit you're wrong and move on? Aren't you the one that believes the market is the voice that matters? The market is showing a 1% adoption of Windows 8 so far.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote: The proof by assertion and ad hominem attacks stopped being funny 2 pages back. If you don't actually have an argument, why don't you just admit you're wrong and move on? Aren't you the one that believes the market is the voice that matters? The market is showing a 1% adoption of Windows 8 so far.
What does that have to do with Windows 8 being easier to use? Microsoft underestimated human laziness and adversity to change even if it's for the better.

The windows haters have been looked like fools when it comes to usability comments in this thread. You can argue sales, marketing, adoption rate all you want but so far, the comments about usability from the anti windows crew have been laughably bad and uninformed.