Post by Boogahz »

you've really been the only fool in this thread
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Official Windows 8 Blows Thread

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:you've really been the only fool in this thread
You're "fooling" yourself if you think that. The arguments against Windows 8 have been extremely weak and inaccurate.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

you've created arguments where there were none. Kind of like the start menu!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:you've created arguments where there were none. Kind of like the start menu!
More like there reverse. Windows 8 is more efficient and faster. The anti windows 8 people made stupid "arguments" that it was harder to access certain things in Windows 8 than with Windows 7 which were proven false.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

It's so much better that the general public is buying it in droves..

..except they're not. Because it blows.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:It's so much better that the general public is buying it in droves..

..except they're not. Because it blows.

Think for yourself once in awhile. Most of the general public are a bunch of morons...oh wait, it all makes sense now.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I did think for myself. Whereas the lemmings who upgrade anytime Microsoft releases a new version do not.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Don't insult the Lemmings, for they know not what cliff they approach!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

In 2 years, when most of you are using windows 8 and not thinking twice about it we'll look at this thread and laugh.. Or be bitter and angry at each other still.

As an aside, I've setup (with the help of a Citrix support engineer) the infrastructure necessary or use the metro app with our XenApp infrastructure.

Their new shit is insanely powerful but much more complicated than the older stuff that's on the way out.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Animalor wrote:In 2 years, when most of you are using windows 8 and not thinking twice about it we'll look at this thread and laugh.. Or be bitter and angry at each other still.

As an aside, I've setup (with the help of a Citrix support engineer) the infrastructure necessary or use the metro app with our XenApp infrastructure.

Their new shit is insanely powerful but much more complicated than the older stuff that's on the way out.
I really doubt I will be, in the same way that I'm fine with XP on several work machines, and didn't touch Vista with the exception of getting it preinstalled on my laptop then "downgrading" it to XP and upgrading it to Windows 7 later.

If we're all using Windows 8 in 2 years it will be because it's Windows 9 which has reinstated a coherent design.

Besides, I don't think anyone's bitter and angry, excepting at Winnow for being a smug cunt and insulting everyone that doesn't agree with him. I have no problem that some people (apparently 1%) like Windows 8 better, good for them, I like a lot of stuff about it too, but not enough to overlook the shit sandwich it's served in.

There's a difference between holding an unusual opinion and deriding the rest of the world for not holding it too, those people usually end up in padded cells to prevent themselves or others from hurting them.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Besides, I don't think anyone's bitter and angry, excepting at Winnow for being a smug cunt and insulting everyone that doesn't agree with him.
More like I'm laughing at the stupid reasons and uninformed responses on this thread claiming Windows 8 sucks for no reason. You're like little kids that get a toy for Christmas and immediately start bawling because you don't take the time to read the instructions so lose your grip when it doesn't work until someone tells you to put some fucking batteries in it, but even then you claim it sucks to save face.

Cry away people. You deserve it!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I was poor and never got toys for Christmas so... Thanks for rubbing it in.
Animalor wrote:In 2 years, when most of you are using windows 8 and not thinking twice about it we'll look at this thread and laugh..
That will never happen. You can quote me on that!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Even the spammers hate Windows 8. I was emptying a spam folder and caught this gem from the beginning of one email:
Windows 8 is a lousy Operating System. Its supposed improved performance and claims of improved battery life are exaggerrated, Windows Store is a shameless attempt to pump people for money, and the user interface changes decrease productivity. It is a poor product created for the sake of getting money from your pockets into theirs while offering you as little value as possible. Security is not much different - most exploits and malware that work for earlier Windows versions will still work on Windows 8. One thing that might not work well on it is you, because they switched the interface around so that you have new computer skills to learn. It doesn't really matter whether you want to buy it anyway, because sooner or later it will probably be forced on you by hardware manufacturers.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Animalor wrote:In 2 years, when most of you are using windows 8 and not thinking twice about it we'll look at this thread and laugh.. Or be bitter and angry at each other still.
Save this for future quoting - this will *never* happen. Win8 will *never* be on any PC in my house nor will it be on any PC of my family.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Windows 8 has been outstanding. 100% happy I upgraded. Well worth it, especially at the killer 39.99 Windows Pro online upgrade deal that expires in January.

I'd never go back to Windows 7, and I easily could with multiple saved Acronis OS images.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Ouch. Consumer Reports is currently telling the spending public that they're better off not upgrading to Windows 8 for now, and to purchase a desktop or laptop with Windows 7 still installed if shopping for a new rig. The group names numerous reasons as to why consumers should avoid the touchy new OS, including a lack of touchscreen-based systems, quirky performance and more.

"Windows 7 generally received favorable reviews when it was released," Consumer Reports states. "A few years after its 2009 launch, there still haven't been a lot of complaints. If you've been happy with Windows 7 and even Windows XP up until now, there's no compelling reason to switch to Windows 8."

Donna L. Tapellini of Consumer Reports points out that Windows 8 is all about touch, and because there's a lack of touchscreen-based systems on the market, users will be reduced to using their mouse or touchpad. Without a touchscreen, reasons for upgrading from an older version or purchasing a new Windows 8 computer become less compelling, she said.

"Windows 8 doesn't have the familiar Start button for launching programs and shutting the system down," Tapellini adds. "Of course, it's not difficult to launch your applications from the Start screen with the Windows 8 tile interface. But then again, it's also not the same as clicking your Start button and seeing a list of programs. So if you prefer the old way, go with Windows 7."

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Ouch. Consumer Reports is currently telling the spending public that they're better off not upgrading to Windows 8
Consumer Reports also didn't approve of the iPhone 4. The most popular phone ever.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Didn't like the Vega or Yugo either...
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fujitsu's president cited "weak" Windows 8 demand for slumping sales, according to a Tokyo-based Bloomberg report, echoing recent comments from Acer's president.

Japan's biggest IT services company said it will miss its annual shipment target for personal computers amid sluggish demand for Windows 8, according to Bloomberg. Fujitsu President Masami Yamamoto was speaking to reporters in Tokyo on Thursday.

PC shipments for the fiscal year ending in March are expected to fall short of an October estimate of 7 million units, he said.

Acer president Jim Wong, while not citing sales estimates, expressed similar sentiment in an interview with Digitimes this week.

Because of the learning curve for touch, Windows 8 will not be adopted quickly, he said, adding that the new Windows 8 interface could "dramatically delay adoption by consumers."
Not sure why they think it's the "learning curve for touch" that's the problem. For one thing touch on a desktop PC is totally pointless so any learning curve is moot.

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Well, I assume they're trying to sell those ultrabooks that convert into a massive useless tablet, and they would have touch.

I thought that one ad where everything goes steam age was quite cool, until the one guy asks "Is it powered by coal and steam?" and she says, "no, it's powered by Intel". /cue shouting at the screen that it IS powered by coal and steam /sigh.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Been enjoying flawless performance from my Windows 8 upgrade for two months now. Best version of Windows I've ever used.

I'm going to see what's announced at CES before I decide on what Windows 8 tablet/hybrid to get.

I finally switched over to the Samsung 830 SSD from my Corsair. It took less than 10 minutes to place 90GB of data on the new SSD from an Acronis OS Backup. 238 GB > 97 GB. I'll eventually get the new Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB and use the 830 for games but might wait for next year's 840 successor before I do it.

It will be nice to install more future games on the SSD. I installed most of mine on a old school HD due to space issues.

500 GB SSDs are dropping in price. Some middle of the road ones are around 360.00. I don't need the fastest for mass data storage. I just want to get rid of spinning HDs as soon as possible. Sweet spot for me would be about $250.00 for 500GB. I'll get 4 of them (mirror 2x500GB) and stick them in with the four 2TB HDs (2x2TB Mirrored) that I already have in the 8-bay raid tower.

Part of the reason Windows 8 "disappoints", besides the fiscal cliff/bad economy, is that people just don't need to upgrade PCs as often as they used to. Don't underestimate tablets either. More tablets were activated Christmas day than phones. That includes Android/iOS and Windows 8. (although iPad still dominates) Old people, non computer geeks, etc are getting by with Tablets. They can still word process on the 10 year old PC for school/work crap. Whether the general 30-50 year old crowd warms to Windows 8 or not remains to be seen but the younger generation will have no problem understanding Windows 8 Metro, and most likely prefer it as traditional Windows goes the way of DOS.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

You could make the exact same argument to explain that all the young people would have moved to OSX when it came out instead of sticking with that horrible Windows XP.

Yeah, that didn't happen either.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:You could make the exact same argument to explain that all the young people would have moved to OSX when it came out instead of sticking with that horrible Windows XP.

Yeah, that didn't happen either.
Not really (idiot)

People are moving to tablets (touch screens) Are there a bazillion companies pumping out Android tablets because the iPad was a failure?

People are moving that direction. It makes perfect sense for Microsoft to prepare for the future whether you have the vision to see it or not. Your lack of foresight will make this discussion worthless. Windows 8 is rock solid and has added touch capabilities. Keep reaching for the clock dude.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

You should get a job as a futurist.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

For the most part, the news about Windows 8 hasn’t been very positive for Microsoft, but the company today announced a major win. The U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) just signed a new three-year
licensing agreement with Microsoft reseller Insight Public Sector to bring Windows 8, Office 2013, and SharePoint 2013 Enterprise to 75 percent of all DoD personnel. The DoD, Microsoft says, will “use Windows 8 to empower productivity from any location, and any supported device, while taking advantage of enhanced security.”

Today’s announcement, says Microsoft, means the U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force, and Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) will now have access to “the latest Microsoft technologies in support of top IT priorities around datacenter consolidation, collaboration, cybersecurity, mobility, cloud computing and big data.” Microsoft also says that this is “the most comprehensive” agreement it has ever established with the DoD. The total worth of the deal is about $617 million, and the Army expects to save more than $70 million per year because of it.

“There’s a move afoot throughout the department to bring about efficiencies in the [information technology] world,” David L. DeVries, DOD deputy chief information officer, told American Forces Press Service. “We took a long, hard look at it … realizing that the Department of Defense relies upon the network and upon information technology to do its business.”

Microsoft will work closely with the U.S. Army’s Network Enterprise Technology Command and the Air Force Program Executive Office for Business and Enterprise Systems to achieve “Army Golden Master and Air Force Standard Desktop Configuration compliance for Windows 8.”
Score!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Might be beneficial for people who buy new computers that come with Windows 8 but would rather use Windows 7 because it doesn't blow.
If you aren't a fan of Windows 8 but want a new laptop that comes with Windows 8 preinstalled, you'll be happy to know you can actually downgrade it to Windows 7 without having to reformat. Here's how.

Maybe you've given Windows 8 a fair shake and it just isn't working for you, or maybe you're so against upgrading that you don't want to buy a new computer until you know you can downgrade. No matter your reasons, you may actually have a way out. Some Windows 8 PCs come with what are called "downgrade rights." If your PC comes with Windows 8 Pro, you can downgrade to Windows 7 Pro just by installing it on top of your existing OS. You'll need a legitimate disc and product key, but you can just use an old or used one—after you install, you can call Microsoft and they'll activate your downgrade for you. You can even downgrade multiple machines with the same CD and key.

Not all computers come with downgrade rights, so be sure to do a bit of research before you try this out or buy your new Windows 8 computer. It can be a bit of a hassle, but it's a nice option if you really want to keep using Windows 7. Hit the link to see the full step-by-step process.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If you already have windows 8, it would be stupid to downgrade to 7. It's core is better than windows 7 so you're crippling your PC by going to 7 when you don't even need to use the metro apps. Again, I don't even see them in Administrator mode so what I have is an improved, faster version of windows 7. Why go back?
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

You're about as fucking dense as a diamond and as worthless as a piece of coal. When are you going to get it through your thick fucking skull that people don't like the UI and the UI is all they fucking see? Any potential improvements to "THE CORE" :roll: aren't fucking perceptible to the normal user, and certainly not even on the same planet as the difference in the asstastic fucking UI you have to deal with for said improvements.

And really? You're using the government (and the DOD of all sections) as a win or indicator of success? Well, ok then. Go with that.

Blah blah fucking blah. A few more jerks and you can fill up a retail Win8 box with jizz and bask in the glory all you want. Still doesn't change the fact that Win8 fucking blows.

Anthrax: Talking to you is like clapping with one hand.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What a dumbass!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Siji wrote:You're about as fucking dense as a diamond and as worthless as a piece of coal. When are you going to get it through your thick fucking skull that people don't like the UI and the UI is all they fucking see?
If someone doesn't like the 'Metro' start screen, it's a single fucking keystroke to get rid of it.
Everything else in the UI is virtually indistinguishable from Windows 7.

Hurr durr windows 8 sucks because Metro sucks.. it takes me .7 seconds longer to shut down my PC with windows 8.
Duhhhh, the internet is telling me that everyone hates windows 8... must be true,

It seems like the entire anti-Windows 8 arguments hinges on a single tiny aspect of the user interface.
I was showing my brother in law some of the new games I picked up from Steam last weekend. His words after 15-20 minutes... "I thought you said you installed Windows 8"
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

...So why upgrade?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:...So why upgrade?

Because everything other than the "Metro" (for those that don't like it) start screen rocks and is better than Windows 7. The latest argument by dumbass people like Siji is that they would downgrade if they already have Windows 8 which is asinine considering the benefits of the entire Windows 8 OS over Windows 7. It's simply a low tech redneck reaction since they're just a hair too stupid to adjust to something better and are 100% guaranteed too dumb to understand that the "Metro" is basically non existent if you don't want to use it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Because it's faster and has a lot of useful new features.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Because everything other than the "Metro" (for those that don't like it) start screen rocks and is better than Windows 7.
Better how? That seems pretty subjective. Boots faster? Oooo that's worth it! (It's not)
miir wrote:
Because it's faster and has a lot of useful new features.
Other than booting (which doesnt matter to me personally as I also use Sleep rather than shutting down) how is it "faster"? The tests I've seen others publish show pretty much equal performance of programs between the two OSs.

Define "a lot" of useful new features. I looked through the list of new features and only a couple seemed that useful and most of them you could add to Windows 7 via third party program.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I just noticed that the Comixology app just got released on Windows 8. Downloading one of the books in my collection to test it.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-CA ... 4cc7918b98

Surface RT with the 10.1" widescreen display is a NICE comic reader when held in portrait. (Note that doing this and reading PDF's is the ONLY nice use I've found for a portrait surface. The thing wants to be in landscape.)
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Interesting post on unfucking Windows 8 images:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/archiv ... 37039.html

It's a lot of work to stop installing a gig of apps you don't want, and to remove associations that make Metro pop up as the application handler... but at least it's consistent if you're rolling out machines.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:I just noticed that the Comixology app just got released on Windows 8. Downloading one of the books in my collection to test it.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-CA ... 4cc7918b98

Surface RT with the 10.1" widescreen display is a NICE comic reader when held in portrait. (Note that doing this and reading PDF's is the ONLY nice use I've found for a portrait surface. The thing wants to be in landscape.)
Yeah, 16:9 in portrait mode isn't good for much other than reading comics and pdfs. The Surface pro is looking good so I'll probably read my comics on it when I get it.

I downloaded a few comic readers for windows RT on my PC. I'll have to go back and check their progress. It's hard to beat Comic Zeal on iOS as an overall comic reader/organizer for your non Comixology archives.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Aabidano wrote:Didn't like the Vega or Yugo either...
My first car was a Vega!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:I did think for myself. Whereas the lemmings who upgrade anytime Microsoft releases a new version do not.
Boogahz wrote:Don't insult the Lemmings, for they know not what cliff they approach!
Lemmings don't actually do what you think they do.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Spang wrote:
Aslanna wrote:I did think for myself. Whereas the lemmings who upgrade anytime Microsoft releases a new version do not.
Boogahz wrote:Don't insult the Lemmings, for they know not what cliff they approach!
Lemmings don't actually do what you think they do.
You don't actually know what I think they do.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I'm curious that Winnow hasn't mentioned Acronis requires a payment for his Windows 8 upgrade: http://kb.acronis.com/content/31033

$40 for Windows, $30 for Acronis hrmm.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:I'm curious that Winnow hasn't mentioned Acronis requires a payment for his Windows 8 upgrade: http://kb.acronis.com/content/31033

Just boot from the recovery DVD and make your backup or recover. I use Acronis Home 2010 still. I only back up my OS partition once a month so not a huge deal so far. Don't even need Acronis installed if you don't want it as long as you have the recovery DVD.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Zaelath wrote:I'm curious that Winnow hasn't mentioned Acronis requires a payment for his Windows 8 upgrade: http://kb.acronis.com/content/31033

Just boot from the recovery DVD and make your backup or recover. I use Acronis Home 2010 still. I only back up my OS partition once a month so not a huge deal so far. Don't even need Acronis installed if you don't want it as long as you have the recovery DVD.
Cause that's what my backups need added to them, a manual chore to reduce the frequency.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote: Cause that's what my backups need added to them, a manual chore to reduce the frequency.

I do full backups, not that partial bullshit. If backups are that important to you, upgrading shouldn't be that big a deal. Even once a month is probably a bit much for me as my data drives are raid 1 mirrored anyway so I won't lose much except the inconvenience of reinstalling any app I may have installed recently, which doesn't happen very often these days.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote: I do full backups, not that partial bullshit. If backups are that important to you, upgrading shouldn't be that big a deal. Even once a month is probably a bit much for me as my data drives are raid 1 mirrored anyway so I won't lose much except the inconvenience of reinstalling any app I may have installed recently, which doesn't happen very often these days.
Yeah... full weekly backups and daily incrementals. Fulls to reduce the pain of reinstalls, daily to account for the fact that I actually create shit on my computer. I keep forgetting you just use yours for various anime related porn fetishes and all that shit is "in the cloud".
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Winnow wrote: I do full backups, not that partial bullshit. If backups are that important to you, upgrading shouldn't be that big a deal. Even once a month is probably a bit much for me as my data drives are raid 1 mirrored anyway so I won't lose much except the inconvenience of reinstalling any app I may have installed recently, which doesn't happen very often these days.
Yeah... full weekly backups and daily incrementals. Fulls to reduce the pain of reinstalls, daily to account for the fact that I actually create shit on my computer. I keep forgetting you just use yours for various anime related porn fetishes and all that shit is "in the cloud".
My data is saved on my eSATA raid tower, mirrored and encrypted. I have another drive that I use for temp work stuff and some installed games. You should definitely be saving whatever you create on something other than your OS drive. If I completely lost my OS drive and didn't have a backup, I wouldn't lose anything important, except for the time lost and major pain in the ass of reinstalling everything which is why I back it up to begin with.

Extremely important stuff, like family photos, etc that can't be replaced at all (in case of fire/theft, etc), should be encrypted (truecrypt) and stored somewhere in the cloud as well (preferably a service not associated with Kim Dotcom)
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote: My data is saved on my eSATA raid tower, mirrored and encrypted. I have another drive that I use for temp work stuff and some installed games. You should definitely be saving whatever you create on something other than your OS drive. If I completely lost my OS drive and didn't have a backup, I wouldn't lose anything important, except for the time lost and major pain in the ass of reinstalling everything which is why I back it up to begin with.
You confuse RAID with backup, but that's a common issue. There's nothing magical about your OS drive as opposed to any other drive in your system.

Anyway, carry on. Your position is that you don't lose anything moving to 8 and make some minor gains, I disagree. I don't think either of us are changing position.

I'll add though, when you're looking at Windows 2012, I bet MS lose a lot of sales based on various backup vendors wanting $1000 a server to upgrade the backup software at the same time. No wonder even small players are looking at SAN storage and Veeam style backups.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote: You confuse RAID with backup, but that's a common issue. There's nothing magical about your OS drive as opposed to any other drive in your system.
What are you talking about? RAID 1 is identical data written to two drives. I didn't say it was a back up system. It's redundancy in case you lose a hard drive. If you're worried about doing something stupid and having to recover an earlier version of your work, that's different. Sync with dropbox or something that keeps multiple backups in the cloud.

And there is something special about your OS drive because it's the one most likely to be fucked up due to viruses and various other shit. Best to have a smallish SSD drive for speed and easy re-imaging if things go bad. Also makes more sense for upgrades, etc so you don't have to worry about moving personal crap off of your OS drive, just plug and play your data on the next PC.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote: What are you talking about? RAID 1 is identical data written to two drives. I didn't say it was a back up system.
Yet we're talking about backup, you bring up RAID like it's relevant. My main computer is RAID10, the storage drives are RAID5, none of that is relevant to the discussion.
If you're worried about doing something stupid and having to recover an earlier version of your work, that's different. Sync with dropbox or something that keeps multiple backups in the cloud.
Yeah, there's nothing like synching gigs of data over the internet to liven up your week. Besides, dropbox is a good place to drop something off for someone else to pick up, it's not a backup system either.
And there is something special about your OS drive because it's the one most likely to be fucked up due to viruses and various other shit. Best to have a smallish SSD drive for speed and easy re-imaging if things go bad. Also makes more sense for upgrades, etc so you don't have to worry about moving personal crap off of your OS drive, just plug and play your data on the next PC.
If you like, but given "things going bad" happens extremely rarely for me cause I don't hang around the kinda sites you do, I'm ok with a recovery taking a bit longer, and you don't have to restore the data at the same time as the OS anyway if you're not saving it into random folders under %systemroot%

Besides, I don't run SSDs on my real computer anyway. The laptop sure, but given I can fill a gigabit networking connection with my disks and I'm not rebooting every 5 minutes, I don't wanna run something less reliable that costs 10x as much.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Winnow wrote: What are you talking about? RAID 1 is identical data written to two drives. I didn't say it was a back up system.
Yet we're talking about backup, you bring up RAID like it's relevant. My main computer is RAID10, the storage drives are RAID5, none of that is relevant to the discussion.

Well sure, I can see running RAID 5 as being a really stupid thing to do with the incredibly long rebuild times involved. Sounds like you have more than one problem with your HD storage strategy.

Back to the subject. What we're talking about is you being so fucking cheap, you won't pay 29.99 to upgrade a critical piece of software that makes life much easier for you, protecting whatever you do. You won't even cough up less than the price of a video game to protect your personal work. Lets stay on topic here. If you don't feel Acronis is worth it, there are alternatives. If you don't think 60.00 for Windows Pro with Acronis is worth it, that's a value decision, not a quality decision.

49.99 for Full, 29.99 to upgrade:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/pr ... trueimage/

$3/month if you get a year of use out of it. $1.5/month if two. FREE IOS/GOOGLE MOBILE APPS TO ACCESS YOUR DATA INCLUDED!!11!