Windows 8 Upgrade

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Windows 8 Upgrade

Post by Winnow »

I was planning on buying the OEM version of Windows 8 Pro for 139.00 to do a fresh install.

Some background:

I've never actually purchased a copy of windows (except for what came installed on Laptops) What a surprise!

I've been upgrading my same hacked windows since windows 95-->98-->XP-->Vista-->Windows 7 (through multiple motherboard/PC upgrades as well)

I may have done a clean install at some point around the Windows XP time frame but really can't remember.

I use my home PC as a remote desktop sever which is the only part of "professional" I use. A retail copy of Windows Professional has always been crazy expensive. So with Windows 8, until Jan 2013, you can buy a full version of Windows 8 Pro (OEM) for 139.00 which actually isn't bad. I planned on buying that due to the hella long upgrade and hacked history of Windows that I have, I'm sure there are quite a few unneeded files taking up space on my OS partition...and still will go the OEM route if this upgrade doesn't work.

Windows is offering an amazingly great deal of 39.00 for a windows Pro upgrade online starting today, until Jan 2013. For anyone that currently owns Windows, this is an outstanding deal and allows you to move up to the Windows 8 Professional for 39.00 as long as you're OK with downloading it and having it installed as opposed to using an actual DVD.

Supposedly, all the Windows 8 online upgrade needs to verify is that your version of Windows is genuine, which mine is (well not really but when you check it under the settings, it's genuine) I already started the process and it went through the compatibility check ok. So far, so good. Who knows what will happen with the activator hack crap that's currently in place.

Having built all my PCs, I never really felt like shelling out mega bucks for Windows Pro and also never got any form of windows pre installed with a new PC (laptops don't count).

So, I just made a backup of my OS drive (Acronis, as usual was almost magical in its efficiency. I just made a 66 GB back-up in less than 10 minutes) to fall back to if things go awry. The plan is to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro online, check things out, back-up the OS partition with Acronis, and then plop it onto my waiting new Samsung 830 256GB SSD. What I really should do is place the backup I just made on the new Samsung SSD and then upgrade that one, leaving my Corsair 128GB SSD as a plug and play easy backup fall back to Windows 7...but I'm so lazy that even though I just thought of that I won't do it.

I've got a shit ton of specialized apps, raid stuff, etc on my PC. It would take me days of work to get everything reinstalled and configured on a fresh install of windows. I give this upgrade a 50/50 chance of success. If it fails, I'll go back to Windows 7 and plan an OEM Win Pro 8 fresh install later on.

Reasons for upgrading:

-Windows 8 core is faster and more efficient than Windows 7. It's faster almost across the board than Win 7 (not by much, but still faster)
-I don't care about the "metro" interface. Press the Windows Key and it's gone (there's a hack to completely disable it on start up and restore start menu if you really want to)...an unbelievably easy toggle between old style and new, yet people will bitch for months about Metro.

Before installing it, I don't see a pressing need for anyone to upgrade to Win 8 on their current desktops. The new Mobile/Laptop/Systems with Touchscreens should be nice with Win 8 though.

I'd like to thank miir and funk as my inspirations for going semi legit. They taught me that rappers need to shoot themselves in the ass before they're considered legit, or at least bitch slap someone and wear dew rags as drug helmets. I can't be legit unless I at least give MS some $$ for Windows.

It should be interesting what happens. I anticipate still having to fix a lot of things even if the upgrade works but we'll see. (Acronis True Image is your friend)

Some helpful Windows 8 tips:

http://gizmodo.com/5955139/windows-8-su ... orkarounds
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Windows 8 Upgrade

Post by Winnow »

Well so far, it looks like the payment of overwhelmed. I can't get CC or Paypal to work.
We couldn't finish processing your order

Provided by arvato digital services, llc. Privacy Statement, Imprint. The following happened while processing your order:

Intializing checkout failed.
I can't give Microsoft my money!!1!11!

Can't slam the server as you need to restart the app each time it fails.

BTW, it give you the options to pay 14.99 more and I guess they mail you a DVD as well so still only 55.00 total if you want the DVD. It als asks if you want All Windows settings, personal files and app...Just personal files...or nothing. So I guess I (or anyone else with genuine windows) could do a clean install using this method if I want to.
Last edited by Winnow on October 26, 2012, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Windows is offering an amazingly great deal of 39.00 for a windows Pro upgrade online starting today, until Jan 2013. For anyone that currently owns Windows, this is an outstanding deal and allows you to move up to the Windows 8 Professional for 39.00 as long as you're OK with downloading it and having it installed as opposed to using an actual DVD.
It's such an "amazingly great deal" because they know it sucks and nobody will want to use it. Even at zero dollars I wouldn't buy (or use) this crappy OS. For any desktop currently running Windows 7 there is no reason to upgrade to Windows 8. And it also sucks for new PC buyers who will get stuck with this lame operating system by default. The PC market is shrinking so maybe this is MS's way of accelerating the process.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:Windows is offering an amazingly great deal of 39.00 for a windows Pro upgrade online starting today, until Jan 2013. For anyone that currently owns Windows, this is an outstanding deal and allows you to move up to the Windows 8 Professional for 39.00 as long as you're OK with downloading it and having it installed as opposed to using an actual DVD.
It's such an "amazingly great deal" because they know it sucks and nobody will want to use it. Even at zero dollars I wouldn't buy (or use) this crappy OS. For any desktop currently running Windows 7 there is no reason to upgrade to Windows 8. And it also sucks for new PC buyers who will get stuck with this lame operating system by default. The PC market is shrinking so maybe this is MS's way of accelerating the process.

Can you go into detail about why it's a lame operating system for new users if it's faster and the metro part and start menu can be set to operate like old windows in seconds? What are they getting "stuck" with?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

They are getting stuck with Windows 8 since it comes preinstalled!

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The talk around here is that Windows 8 is MS's farewell to the Desktop OS scene, and more about quick profit than anything else. This goes hand-in-hand with Linux gaining non-Apple traction for all but the least competent desktop end users, and MS really hoping to primarily use Windows 8 to secure some Mobile market share.

Fuck Windows and its button clicking, non-CLI garbage interface. Linux for life.

The average gamer using Windows 7 does not give one fuck about increased core performance, and will never purchase the OS.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fuck average gamers and fuck linux! Linux seriously blows ass. I tried a bazillion distros of it as well. It's a pain enough for a more advanced user. It has ZERO chance of catching on with mainstream users. Pain in the fucking ass. For dumbasses, there's OSX. Eventually Android might mature enough to be a viable alternative and touch interfaces will make things easy for most.

I do agree that upgrading to Window 8 isn't necessary. It looks like I won't be for the moment either as I can't process the order due to server load.

And "the talk around here" about Windows * being a farewell to the desktop OS scene? Keep talking because there's no way in hell it's a farewell. If anything you'll see quicker, cheaper updates like OSX has. The "desktop scene" isn't going anywhere for awhile. And, just like OSX has done, you'll see more and more of the tablet touch interface creep into the OS...but it's not going away. As has always been the case, OS's become easier to use (except linux which is stuck in the 80's).
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Yeah I oversimplify by saying it's a farewell. Just that MS's focus is shifting.
If anything you'll see quicker, cheaper updates like OSX has.
That nobody will buy.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:Yeah I oversimplify by saying it's a farewell. Just that MS's focus is shifting.
If anything you'll see quicker, cheaper updates like OSX has.
That nobody will buy.
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

It may take awhile for new windows OSs to gain marketshare, but it's all Microsoft. Whether it's every other release as the recent pattern has shown or not, Windows obliterates anything else out there. You can take your little linux sliver and pick your teeth with it and then clean your nails with the Android sliver. Windows isn't going anywhere. There's too many companies that have proprietary software that runs on it. That's why you still see XP being such a large chunk. Microsoft also has shown it can survive unpopular releases like Vista just fine. It's too early to tell with Windows 8. It may be considered less popular due to it being a major transition that Microsoft is smart enough to know is required due to the movement towards touch UIs. That will distract some people but the actual code itself is solid for legacy systems as well.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ah, finally got the payment part to process. After downloading it and getting the product key, it asks if you want to install now, install by creating media or install later from desktop, so you can save that 14.99 and just burn a DVD if you want.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

SYSTEM DOWN! SYSTEM DOWN! I'm typing this on my iMAC. For the love of god, what's happening !!!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

The chances of Windows 8 or the metro UI entering my household in any way?

Zero.

Ever.

Anyone in my family that happens to get it down the road and wants assistance? Win7 gets installed. The most retarded UI change in PC history. This makes Vista look like a golden fucking apple.

BTW: Just because you're too ignorant to understand Linux doesn't mean too much. For most users (especially the family, non-technical types), the installation is completely effortless and it works nearly the exact same way as Windows. The most of what they're doing is browsing the web or checking email. Not too much skill involved there. Gaming and MS office are the only things keeping me on Windows currently.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:SYSTEM DOWN! SYSTEM DOWN! I'm typing this on my iMAC. For the love of god, what's happening !!!
It sounds like your system blew up after it detected a legally purchased piece of software was finally being installed for the first time ever.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:For most users (especially the family, non-technical types), the installation is completely effortless and it works nearly the exact same way as Windows. The most of what they're doing is browsing the web or checking email. Not too much skill involved there.
Sure, and it's easy for cows to graze as well. If a browser and a media player is all you want, more power to you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Windows 8 is up and running. So far no issues but I don't have time to play with it right now.

Upgrade was smooth process.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Siji wrote:For most users (especially the family, non-technical types), the installation is completely effortless and it works nearly the exact same way as Windows. The most of what they're doing is browsing the web or checking email. Not too much skill involved there.
Sure, and it's easy for cows to graze as well. If a browser and a media player is all you want, more power to you.
That doesn't even make sense. It's because I use my PC for more than a "browser and a media player" that I see Windows 8 as being pointless.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:
That doesn't even make sense. It's because I use my PC for more than a "browser and a media player" that I see Windows 8 as being pointless.

So far, in the extremely brief time I've used Windows 8, I like what I see. I hit the Windows key as soon as the welcome screen popped up and haven't even checked out Metro. The criticism is way overblown about that as the desktop seems to be working just like with Windows 7 to me. Windows 8 is basically a performance boost. If you completely ignore "metro", which you can, it's basically like a major update to Windows 7. I'm still failing to see any negatives about it. It sure seems quick and smooth so far and, amazingly, I don't see anything not working from all my crapload of programs, including an ancient hacked 10 version old copy of directory opus (file manager), which was my one major concern about upgrading since I use that program so heavily.

Way too early to comment on much at all, but I do like the way it handles multiple monitors better than windows 7. I won't have time to mess around much with it until Sunday or Monday. So far it's been the smoothest windows upgrade ever. Even some of the couple minor programs that the Windows 8 pre-install screener stated wouldn't work are working anyway. (a screen capture app and FRAPS so far work fine).
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:So far, in the extremely brief time I've used Windows 8, I like what I see. I hit the Windows key as soon as the welcome screen popped up and haven't even checked out Metro. The criticism is way overblown about that as the desktop seems to be working just like with Windows 7 to me. Windows 8 is basically a performance boost. If you completely ignore "metro", which you can, it's basically like a major update to Windows 7. I'm still failing to see any negatives about it. It sure seems quick and smooth so far and, amazingly, I don't see anything not working from all my crapload of programs, including an ancient hacked 10 version old copy of directory opus (file manager), which was my one major concern about upgrading since I use that program so heavily.

Way too early to comment on much at all, but I do like the way it handles multiple monitors better than windows 7. I won't have time to mess around much with it until Sunday or Monday. So far it's been the smoothest windows upgrade ever. Even some of the couple minor programs that the Windows 8 pre-install screener stated wouldn't work are working anyway. (a screen capture app and FRAPS so far work fine).
If it works just like Windows 7 why bother? I seriously doubt it's that much faster than my current setup. Honestly someone with a desktop PC I see zero reason why people would want to bother giving MS their money and upgrading.

A "major update"? lol I don't see that. Sure it boots up faster and such but that's really a minor thing to me. My system is already pretty zippy if it were any faster I don't even think I'd notice it. I only have two monitors and Windows 7 handles them just fine so I'm not really sure what "better" would entail.

It's great that you don't see any negatives about Windows 8. However a lot of people don't see any positives about it either. It's not on my list of considerations but I hope you get your $40 worth or whatever you spent. I'd say MS doesn't give me any reason to want to upgrade but the truth is they give me a bunch of reasons NOT to.

(And also every person who has asked me about it I've told them Windows 8 sucks and to not even bother with it. I'm doing my part!)

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Aslanna wrote:(And also every person who has asked me about it I've told them Windows 8 sucks and to not even bother with it. I'm doing my part!)
Keep fighting the good fight! H8 4 8!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

The thing I find most annoying about it is $40 is super cheap, when you consider they want 4-5 times that for the equivalent Windows 7 in Australia, and they're not doing regional pricing.

I really don't want it on my desktop, but I might just go ahead and order a copy so I have the CD key on the "shelf" in case my technet subscription has issues ;p
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:The thing I find most annoying about it is $40 is super cheap, when you consider they want 4-5 times that for the equivalent Windows 7 in Australia, and they're not doing regional pricing.

I really don't want it on my desktop, but I might just go ahead and order a copy so I have the CD key on the "shelf" in case my technet subscription has issues ;p
Can't you use a U.S. VPN to purchase it?

When I first tried to order Win 8 Pro Online, I was using a UK server and they were asking me for 25 Pounds as payment and that was straight from Microsoft's website. You can use Paypal (I did) if you're worried bout using a foreign credit card.

I did get my Key but it never asked me to enter it using the online install. I even waited to install it (it placed an install icon on my desktop after downloading it) because I had to manually uninstall an old hack version of Alcohol 120 before I could proceed. The 39.00 online install is well done and hassle free.

For those hating on Windows 8. Think of it like upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7. It's worth upgrading but some of you may take awhile to get around to doing it. Think of the Metro (that you can completely ignore with one key click) as the Windows RT bonus throw in part. It's a protected environment that is similar to iOS and while it works perfectly fine with a mouse, is really there for touch screen devices. I run in Administrator mode and you can't even access Metro Apps when in Admin mode. I switch over to a Windows Live account (just use existing Windows Live email and password to log on) if I want to screw around in that environment and use RT apps. Swapping accounts (logging in and out) is very fast. This is actually a good thing. If you have guests, etc, switch to a Live login and they wont get into much trouble on your PC, and then use your admin account for personal crap.

Its really cracking me up seeing how out of whack people are getting over the Metro front screen. One fucking click and it's gone. It's actually nice as a start menu replacement and the search on the right side of the screen rocks for finding whatever you were looking for on your precious start menu.

It would be a mistake to compare Windows 8 to Vista. It's much more like going from Windows XP to Windows 7 with a bonus touch RT protected OS environment thrown in that you don't have to use.

I don't care if anyone upgrades but I'm satisfied. Some people fear change and will take longer to adopt or won't at all. Stick with XP if you want. No biggie. IMO it's definitely worth a 39.00 upgrade to Pro before Jan 2013, especially if you use a non pro/ultimate version of windows that doesn't have remote desktop server or if you have a hacked Windows and want to go legit.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Well, I don't really need to use a VPN, it's only if I wanted to buy Windows 7 I'd need to be in the US, like when I registered for technet /cough

I did a fresh install on the laptop as a test. I still hate windows 8, and I have reasons beyond "it's different".

For example, I can't play solitaire in a window.

Then I installed Chrome and I went to use it, then realised it was on the stupid metro interface even though I installed it from desktop, so I went to the desktop to run it there and it doesn't have access to it's own cookies between instances... stupid.

I eagerly await Service Pack 1 which will remove Metro from the desktop and give back the builtin things that have been installed since Windows 3.1, like Solitaire :P
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don't fear change. However I do fear suckiness. And Windows 8 has boatloads of suckiness.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:Well, I don't really need to use a VPN, it's only if I wanted to buy Windows 7 I'd need to be in the US, like when I registered for technet /cough

I did a fresh install on the laptop as a test. I still hate windows 8, and I have reasons beyond "it's different".

For example, I can't play solitaire in a window.

Then I installed Chrome and I went to use it, then realised it was on the stupid metro interface even though I installed it from desktop, so I went to the desktop to run it there and it doesn't have access to it's own cookies between instances... stupid.

I eagerly await Service Pack 1 which will remove Metro from the desktop and give back the builtin things that have been installed since Windows 3.1, like Solitaire :P
Wha? Chrome works just fine from the desktop. All of my apps work fine from the desktop just like with with Windows 7. There's also an easy way to set any or all of your apps at once to run from the desktop by default if you don't know what you're doing when you install new apps.

I not being able to play solitaire in a window is your only other complaint than I don't see much of a problem.

Been fooling around with networking in Windows 8. It's another area handled better than Windows 7.

Aslanna is just trollling or is going by what someone else says as I still haven't heard a list of "suckiness" from Windows 8 besides Metro which you don't even have to use.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:If not being able to play solitaire in a window is your only other complaint than I don't see much of a problem.
Unless you want to play solitaire in a window. Obviously!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'll look for a "Windows 8 tips for senior citizens" guide later and post it for those having issues.

you might try this book in the meantime:

http://www.dummies.com/store/product/La ... 95960.html
Laptop and tablet popularity is on the rise among computer buyers, including seniors. For anyone in the over-60 age group who is eager to get started with a laptop or tablet, this is the book for you! Laptops and tablets are ideal for seniors who travel and want to stay in contact with family and friends. You'll learn how to select the laptop or tablet that is right for you; get familiar with the hardware, operating system, and software; understand files and folders; and connect to other wireless technology.

Featuring a larger font for text and larger sizes for images, this new edition of a bestseller begins with the basics and progresses to step-by-step coverage of how to establish positive habits and avoid common pitfalls. New content offers detailed information on battery life, setting up a wireless printer, connectivity, storing data online, downloading apps, and syncing your mobile phone. With this guide, you'll feel confident about staying safe online when banking, shopping, or chatting.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Well, hey, if you think degrading the gaming experience back to 2000 (EQ not being allowed to run in a window) is acceptible, you win the corporate drone award.

I'm mostly an early adopter of these things to see how they'll affect my family and customers. If I "upgraded" my father's computer and he lost all the Microsoft Games without any warning at all he'd have another heart attack.

I also find the phone/tablet interface they've created fucking awful on a machine that has a mouse, the applications look like they're not finished and remove options that they've had for years now that they're coded for winpho.

Also it's not obvious at all that the "chimes" are both system wide and current application specific, and some of it makes no sense at all; e.g. "power off" is not a "setting".
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Two things.

You can run games in a window in Windows 8

Everquest being locked to fullscreen had nothing to do with windows and everything to do with Verant not wanting players to be able to interact with 3rd party 'tools' running in the background.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Microsoft bills Windows 8 as a "re-imagining" of the personal computer market's dominant operating system, but the company still has a lot of work to do before the makeover captures the imagination of most consumers, based on the results of a recent poll by The Associated Press and GfK.

The phone survey of nearly 1,200 adults in the U.S. found 52 percent hadn't even heard of Windows 8 leading up to Friday's release of the redesigned software.

Among the people who knew something about the new operating system, 61 percent had little or no interest in buying a new laptop or desktop computer running on Windows 8, according to the poll. And only about a third of the people who've heard about the new system believe it will be an improvement (35 percent).
So out of 1200 people only ~200 people "believe it will be an improvement".

Not sure how people haven't heard of it. I've seen lots of Windows 8 commercials. Which did nothing to make me want to use it.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The general population probably doesn't even know what version of windows they're running. They just use whatever comes with their PC. This discussion (I thought) was for the few people that have a clue about operating systems.

I can't remember the last time I played a game that came with Windows. Maybe Windows 95? I HIGHLY recommend you don't touch anything and stick with whatever OS you have if Solitaire is actually a factor in upgrading an OS. (you do know there's a ba-fucking-gillion free solitaire games right?)

http://www.freesolitaire.org/

Knock yourself out! There's even Space Invaders...take it slow though. That's a little more advanced than Solitaire.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

You know how you can have an example of something, without it being the entire set of things? Yeah, that.

It's not like Solitaire (or more likely Freecell) is the only game people play, but it's an excellent way to kill time while you're waiting for something to finish downloading, or another game to time grind.

Same for Miir, you *can* run games in windowed mode, but not the games that "come with" Windows 8, and by come with, I mean you have to download for "free" from the Microsoft store and then get annoyed by in-game unskippable advertising. In the same way, when EQ was out other games could run in windowed mode which is why I drew the comparison.

Also, the mention of Chrome at no point said I couldn't run it on the desktop, it was about how it defaulted to the metro sandbox and that the sandbox actually makes for a more annoying experience since you can't share data between instances of Chrome that you might accidentally start from the wrong interface. That there are two interfaces is already well covered as a major failing of the OS.

I know you love to suck cock and troll, but I'm not sure why you're sucking this particular shit flavoured cock so hard, and trolling only counts if you make the respondant sound stupid, and the garbage you're spewing would make an orangutan beating a keyboard with it's face seem erudite.

Oh, and you can claim this is a trivial issue, but people need a reason to buy 8 and there are none, so any negatives are a lot larger when there's nothing to balance them.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I always love seeing people bashing something they haven't tried and/or used for 15 minutes without giving it a fair shot.

I've been using 8 RTM on all my machines now for a few weeks and it's really good. At work it's almost all desktop all the time with Xbox Music docked to the side of one of my monitors for good measure (Win8 allows you to log in at work with your domain creds and then associate your Microsoft account to that to get access to your settings and service. You can pick and choose what you want to sync to each particular machine.)

At home I have my own profile that's purely my MS Account and the local account for the rest of the family. I may try to get my wife to have her own as well as opposed to using the shared rest of the family one but we'll see about that.

Frankly there's little reason to hate now and in a few months when Microsoft and vendors have had a chance to really work on their apps and see usage patterns, I can really see this getting better.

I've bought the Microsoft Touch mouse last week as they updated it to support their win8 gestures and that's improved the experience even more.

Frankly, if you have family that's computer illiterate, why would you steer them way from this? They'll be able to learn this like they learned the iPad or any website UI out there and metro removes a fuckton of the convoluted that day-to-day people need to deal with.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I bought it and slapped it on an empty ssd friday night. Used it all weekend and don't see a problem with it. After boot screens, windows boots in 5 seconds. Yep, 5. I don't both with sleep/hibernate anymore. I can't say I'm in love with the whole metro interface. I had a chance to mess around with it at the store on one of those HP touch screen ultrabooks. Was real slick on that product, but a standard desktop, its just a bit annoying on multiscreen setup. I may go and setup the Win7 look a like mode...just haven't looked how to disable metro yet. But whatever, I may just roll with it for a while and give it a shot.

I do like the clean look it has, and how damn quick it is to open programs, etc. Steam works fine, games work fine, etc. Install also went real quick. I did a clean install on an empty ssd, via the "upgrade disk"...took all of 15 minutes.

Either way, so far my summary feeling is: no real reason to upgrade from Win7...I just needed something to occupy my time while I wait for some game releases.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Count me in with the "I can't believe how fast this is on an SSD" camp. My work laptop is a Core i3 chip with 4GB of ram and this thing flies on it. There's stuff here where I always assumed the latency issues was on the DB end that open 30-50% faster than before.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, for comparison, my win7 64bit install on a similar speed ssd was 20 second load after motherboard boot screens. Plus, it kept loading shit after you logged in. Win8 just seems to "be ready" once the log screen is up. I've tested it several times now, where I'll enter my password and then immediately click on steam, firefox, a few cpu/mem test programs, just to see how fast they open, and its immediate, so they aren't sitting there waiting for windows to continue loading its background programs.

My pc is currently an underclocked/undervoltaged AMD phenom II x4 system, so its not anything special, and its still quick and snappy. Granted, and SSD has a lot to do with it, but like i noted above, the difference between 7 and 8 is very noticeable.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

UPDATE!!11! Remote Desktop is working great.

Don't forget to add the accounts you want to the remote desktop access list after you update.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Kluden wrote:Yeah, for comparison, my win7 64bit install on a similar speed ssd was 20 second load after motherboard boot screens. Plus, it kept loading shit after you logged in. Win8 just seems to "be ready" once the log screen is up. I've tested it several times now, where I'll enter my password and then immediately click on steam, firefox, a few cpu/mem test programs, just to see how fast they open, and its immediate, so they aren't sitting there waiting for windows to continue loading its background programs.

My pc is currently an underclocked/undervoltaged AMD phenom II x4 system, so its not anything special, and its still quick and snappy. Granted, and SSD has a lot to do with it, but like i noted above, the difference between 7 and 8 is very noticeable.
Since I've just reinstalled my laptop with 7, thought I'd test. Comparing a 2 year old install versus a new one isn't a good comparison.

6 seconds to login screen, in the 2 seconds it took to login when I double clicked Chrome it started immediately albeit the mouse was still showing "something" happening.

Yeah, massive difference.

Oh, and I used 8 all weekend on the laptop. I didn't see anything that was better and a lot to hate about the metro interface. YMMV.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not saying faster boot times aren't nice but I can't remember the last time I said "Gee I sure wish this computer booted up in 15 seconds instead of 30". The amount of times I reboot my computer in a week is fairly miniscule to begin with. Mainly whenever Windows Updates makes me. That's really no reason to upgrade from the OS I use that is working perfectly well already to Windows 8.

You can love it and use it all you want. That doesn't change my opinion that it's a massive pile of shit. Microsoft pushing the whole "One UI to rule them all" is lame. I hope Apple and Google pound them into the dirt.

Now that I think about it the UI is probably why I stopped turning on my 360. I vowed never to purchase another Sony product but when the new console generation comes along, and if I bother to jump on them, I will avoid Microsoft's offering like the plague if they still have the same poor UI. That's a dealbreaker!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I actually think this is the best thing Microsoft has done in a long time. They're back, and they have a plan.

I'm much more likely to go with a Windows 8 touch device than Android. The criticisms against the Metro interface are way overblown and will die down once people start getting used to it. People just aren't used to having to learn a few new things with a new Windows release.

For those that don't like it. No biggie. It's nice that you have options. You can go iOS or Android if you like them better. I still like Windows for my PC and iOS for portables but Windows 8 is looking like a decent alternative to iOS.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I don't disagree, startup time is not a compelling reason to upgrade an OS, unless you are still on XP. My summary above says it all, no real reason to go to 8 from 7 that I can tell..Just sharing observations. and the 20 second win7 boot time was based off when it was a fresh install about 6 months ago...so its not a 2 year old install. Boot time and install times are just the first two things I noticed. I could do without metro though, that's for sure at least for me.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Again, if you don't like Metro, you don't have to even see it. I never see "Metro" unless I hit the windows key. I can't believe how much people are freaked out about that. Take baby steps. Use it as an app launcher to start with. If you don't throw a fit and go into a rage after that, maybe explore it a little more...otherwise, stay the fuck away from it if you spaz out at the mere thought of it.

Also, before anyone breaks down in tears when they get Windows 8 because they don't know how to shut it down. CTRL-ALT-DELETE gets you to the task manager as well as options to switch users, shut down, restart, etc.

You can also get to those options using the right side screen pop out menu but that may be asking too much of some people on this board.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If you don't use "Metro" what's the point of even bothering to upgrade? Faster boot times? Big deal. Not a deal breaker!

Here's Wired's list of the 10 best features of Windows 8:

Easy Gestures - Don't care! Doesn't see all that useful with a mouse (if at all).

Live Tiles and Lock Screen - I'd turn those tiles right off! Not sure how features in a lock screen are helpful. When my computer is locked that means I'm not sitting there staring at it. Pointless!

System-Wide Search - I know where all my stuff is. And if I don't the existing search works just fine for what I do.

Refresh and Reset - An actual feature that seems useful! Not enough to bother with Windows 8 though.

Settings Sync - I use one computer. Don't have a laptop or tablet and am anti-cloud in general. I prefer local storage. Consider that feature a miss!

Snap View for Multitasking - I don't get this feature to be honest. When I want to do something like that I have like.. Movable (and sizeable!) windows. /gasp!

Pin Anything - Swing and a miss!

Share Everything - Strike three!

Task Manager - The second useful 'feature'. There's already third party apps that pretty much do most of that with present Windows versions but this doesn't sound bad for being 'included'.

The Interface - Can't stand the look. Never could never will. It basically seems like a tremendous waste of space even if you can switch to 'Desktop Mode'. Which again if you're going to do that why would you bother running Windows 8 in the first place? If you make it look like Windows 7 why not just run Windows 7? Oh yeah that's right... Quicker boot times!
While you might have complaints about how it doesn’t work as well with a keyboard and mouse -- or on a desktop PC -- it’s hard to label Windows 8 as anything but a step forward for Microsoft.
Uh. Unless you use a desktop PC. Then it's a step backwards. Like Bob.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
While you might have complaints about how it doesn’t work as well with a keyboard and mouse -- or on a desktop PC -- it’s hard to label Windows 8 as anything but a step forward for Microsoft.
Uh. Unless you use a desktop PC. Then it's a step backwards. Like Bob.

Uh no, again, it works exactly like it always has with a mouse if you have the ability to click a single key (called the windows key) Amazingly, that toggles back and forth between the comforting old blanket of the original desktop, and the new touch friendly metro.

No need for you to get it. Again (and again and again apparently) it's a nice upgrade, just like winXP to Windows 7 (which you probably can't name the key features that make win 7 better than xp either). You took like a decade to upgrade to that so it's not surprising you are resistant to anything new. You've played EQ for 10+ years. A new OS isn't for someone like you. You'll be plenty happy with XP.

Microsoft did the right thing. They can't survive with just an old school desktop and Metro is nice for touch screens but still functions just fine with a mouse if you want a more simple interface that has the same type of App environment as iOS. At the same time it makes it easy for Windows 8 users to switch between Phones, Tablets and Desktops. It's an outstanding combo for those that can figure out how to click a single key to instantly toggle between the two environments.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:No need for you to get it. Again (and again and again apparently) it's a nice upgrade, just like winXP to Windows 7 (which you probably can't name the key features that make win 7 better than xp either). You took like a decade to upgrade to that so it's not surprising you are resistant to anything new. You've played EQ for 10+ years. A new OS isn't for someone like you. You'll be plenty happy with XP.
False! Windows 7 is barely over 3 years old. And the main reason I upgraded is because I wanted a 64bit OS and 64bit support with XP was pretty much not good. As in I couldn't even get it to install on the computer I had. I'm also pretty sure I never said Windows 7 was better than XP. I believe I stated I'd be quite happy using XP if I could. I use it all day at work it's not a big deal.

I see you ignored that whole list of tremendous OS selling 'features of Windows 8'. Probably too overwhelmed by its sheer epic awesomeness!
It's an outstanding combo for those that can figure out how to click a single key to instantly toggle between the two environments.
Why would I want to toggle between two environments when one of those environments is hideously terrible? You're making no sense.
Last edited by Aslanna on October 30, 2012, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

You're (willfully?) ignoring the chimes bollocks.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

the new touch friendly metro.
Totally pointless, a hindrance on a non-touch device? Metro is good for a consumption device.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

For fuck sake, stop egging him on.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Funkmasterr wrote:For fuck sake, stop egging him on.
He's in multi-hoover mode, both Apple and MS at one time :)

A UI that looks like someone puked icons all over a pre-school chalkboard sucks. Great on a phone, crappy on a large screen + mouse.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I bought one of these. http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us ... /3KJ-00001

If you're going to run Windows 8 on a desktop without touch hardware, stuff like this or the forthcoming Logitech offerings are the next best thing.
http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/promotions/win8-landing

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Liking windows 8 more and more.

Shame some people won't learn new things because finding things with Windows 8 is hella fast as soon as you learn how to, which isn't any harder than any previous windows, you just need learn the new process and then your golden until altzeimers or death kicks in. Any dumbass that thinks it's harder to get to the control panel, etc just hasn't taken the time to figure it out.

If not using touch, you have three basic keys to learn:

Windows Key: toggles between Metro and Desktop, or takes you back to Metro home page from any RT app.

Windows+Q : There it is folks! Your search! Opens up search for whatever app you're in as well as allows you to search for anything else (wow, really hard)

Windows+C: Access Charms Bar (Search, Settings (Control Panel)

You also just Windows+Tab instead of Alt+Tab to get to the task bar or you can still Alt+Tab if you want to.

Or you can just move your cursor to the corner of the screen to get open apps, metro/desltop or charm bar (how hard is that?)

You can switch the Metro interface to any of your multiple monitors easily as well as access all other functions from any of your monitors. Much better than Win 7 for that.

Once in awhile I'll switch over to Metro to play around and also like that more as I play around with it. They put a lot of thought into it.