Post your keyboards!

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post your keyboards!

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I had to order a new keyboard for the first time in about 6 years. My MS Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard was the best keyboard I have ever owned. However, I was drinking the milk from my cereal bowl the other day when I was hit by a sudden and powerful sneeze, sending 1/3rd of my full bowl of milk onto the keyboard. When I got home that night, it was already ruined, despite my immediate efforts to save it. Keys are stuck in place and other press but no longer do anything. I really, really loved that keyboard :( I checked online and that keyboard is selling for 200-300$!

Rest in peace, sweet prince.

So, I ordered a Logitech G19 as a replacement. I adore both my G13 Gamepad and G35 Headset so I figured this would have good synergy with those items. It also looks cool with the backlit keys like my other devices and mouse. I use the little LED screen on my G13 all the time during WoW so I am interested to see how the screen on the G19 works in tandem. Hopefully it can display different information from the same game (I'm sure it can), or be used to operate my media player separately so I don't have to alt tab out to manage playlists and such. Apparently it is actually a little LCD TV on there, but I have an iPad next to me for that type of stuff. Still, I am pretty excited to get this keyboard replacement I didn't want or ask for!

I haven't gotten it yet, so I am using a shitty HP 5$ keyboard until it arrives on Tuesday so it will make the new keyboard seem that much better, lol.

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Post your keyboards!

Post by Winnow »

I like my keyboards small and sleek.

If you're going for the gamer keyboard, you should probably consider this keyboard as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2DfKJuoz8

http://www.vortez.net/news_story/madcap ... _catz.html

I've had no issues with my solar powered, wireless logitech keyboard. My Apple keyboard was a little quieter.

-small footprint
-quiet
-wireless
-hassle free (no battery swap, no wire)

That's what I look for in a keyboard. I still use my ancient Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit for MMOs. The mini thumb joystick just kicks ass for movement...not sure how anyone can play using WASD, and Xbox PC Controller whenever possible. My actual keyboard is used as little as possible for gaming.

So easy. For the current popular game Guild Wars 2:

joystick = movement (thumb, never have to move hand from other keys)
1-10 = the 10 skills always active no matter what weapon combo is being used
12 = jump (pinky always there for easy jumping while moving)
13 = target/switch target
14 = (loot/interact)
15= Vent (chat)
16 = weapon swap
17-20 = whatever (profile, map, inventory, etc)

---

Aion (more traditional MMO) is a little more crazy as you have a shit ton of skills. So movement/jump/target remain same but everything else is assigned to skills as well as seven more on my logitech wireless mouse.

The four thumb buttons are awesome. Your thumb rests right in the middle of them and you just nudge your thumb the direction of the button you want to activate. They are so well designed, you don't need to push them "in" you can push up/down to activate, almost like switches. The other three buttons are also contoured to easily know what you're selecting. All buttons are out of the way for normal mouse use.

Between controller and mouse, the keyboard doesn't get used much for gaming. The most important thing to me is that gaming is as easy/comfortable as possible. I should be a 1000 pound fat piece of shit because I barely have to move to game with this setup.

This stuff is worthless without being able to program it. I've used Pinnacle Profiler for a long time. It handles complex macros well or just easy keyboard mapping. Found this on a 2007 VV thread I created for my Rappelz setup!

For me, the biggest thing is that using the thumb joystick frees up the rest of your hand to do other things while moving, especially in combat. (strafing , etc) It's small and very low resistance, making it effortless. I haven't found any more recent gamepad controllers with a decent thumb joystick. The Logitech G13 sucked ass, high resistance thumb joystick and poor overall design.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

My primary comp still has one of the 1st gen Logitech G15's, and most of my keys are basically worn off by now. I've thought about that G19, but I've never been able to pull the trigger on it. Something about that screen just feels too small to be useful after the G15.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:My primary comp still has one of the 1st gen Logitech G15's, and most of my keys are basically worn off by now. I've thought about that G19, but I've never been able to pull the trigger on it. Something about that screen just feels too small to be useful after the G15.
Oh yeah, I still have my original G15 as well with all the worn off keys.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Spang wrote:MacBookProBacklit.jpg
Threw up in my mouth a little bit.

The post specifically said "keyboards", since that doesn't have keys....
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Boogahz wrote:My primary comp still has one of the 1st gen Logitech G15's, and most of my keys are basically worn off by now. I've thought about that G19, but I've never been able to pull the trigger on it. Something about that screen just feels too small to be useful after the G15.
One of the main things that pushed me to the G19 is the amount of love that the G15's had and continue to get. I have no idea if the G19 has the same type of following, but I certainly hope I am a convert. It is a pricey keyboard, but assuming I use it for 5-6yrs I can easily justify the cost.

Winnow - We've had the peripheral discussion before, but I do not remember which thread it was. I'll take my Cataclysm Mouse and G13 setup over anything else out there, especially when running several characters. The mouse automatically switches buttion configs between charatcers, and is intigrated with World of WarCraft while the G13 has 3 different settings, all color coded and backlit, swapped with a single button press for each of the 3 configurations. Both also have on board memory so I can take them to a friend's house and plug and play (which I have done exactly once). I actually have the G13 set up as a "general" controller with things like map, movement, opening bags, and stuff like that while my mouse handles the heavy lifting of macros and abilities. My 3 settings on the G13 are tank (blue), dmg (red), and healing (green). No matter which character I am using, the general settings on the G13 match with every character. I even have a little bit of cross over between the two on certain things. The led screen is surprisingly helpful and is integrated into WoW and a bunch of other games. It shows my character stats by default but in Battlegrounds it switches to my kill/death count and shows the score in CTF and scores in other BGs. I have used it to monitor Ventrilo in the past because that is integrated as well, but I found myself missing the stat tracking in BGs too much. The screen also helps when binding keys. While there is an application to bind everything in (much better than yours btw), I tend to add them on the fly so the screen helps a lot. It really is a great little device!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

To address your comments, my 5 year old Saitek also has three profiles switchable with that slider you see in the upper left corner of the controller. It also has the three gay colors that change depending on profile. All of my game profiles going back 5 years are accessible with the click of a drop down list though through Pinnacle Profiler so that feature is pretty worthless.

Not sure where you think your application to bind is better than Pinnacle profile. It remembers every controller I connect. I also have multiple profiles for my Xbox controller just as easily selected from it. That screen shot is 4-5 years old and the developer continues to update his software and support new and old controllers.

I completely disagree about your mouse comments. The G700's 7 buttons are placed and designed so well ergonomically. I'm extremely picky about my input devices. It also has 5 on board memory settings easily switched from the mouse. It's also wireless and 5,000+ dpi with ungodly high poling refresh rates for buttery smooth yet precise performance without a fucked up cord getting in the way. It's a great all around mouse besides being excellent for gaming and doesn't look like a cockroach sitting on my desk.

Not a chance in hell the G15, which I used for years, or it's upgrade, is better than a good controller pad / ergonomic wireless mouse combo. Even with the ridiculous number of skills WoW forces you to have. I never once used my little display on the G15 for anything other than a clock or as a mp3 song display. Gimmick.

I own the G13 game pad as well and the reason you have it setup for general stuff like map inventory etc is that it sucks for actually controlling anything action oriented and is unwieldy. The mini thumb joystick on the Saitek is effortless and much better ergonomically designed than the G13. More buttons does not make something better. While the Saitek may look ugly, it's design makes it easier to feel key placement with clear separations between left side keys and upper row angled in for easier access. The thumb buttons are also much easier accessed.

It's all personal preference but I see steps backwards if I went your route.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

My G15 is in a box somewhere. It never did feel 'right' for me. It's just too big. I'm back to a standard plain ole generic rectangular keyboard. Something like this:

Works for me!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Aslanna wrote:It's just too big.
I've heard that about you!

I've got a crappy, noisy Dell that I love because it takes very little space. I simply can't stand the huge keyboards.

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:
I've got a crappy, noisy Dell that I love because it takes very little space. I simply can't stand the huge keyboards.
That's not crappy. I'd be happy using that if I had to. It's a little noisy but other than that, it's solid.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I've had this for a while now and it suits me fine. I haven't checked to see if there are any new drivers for new games like Tor or GW2 yet.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The last one of my old, heavy IBM keyboards croaked recently, looked up the PN online and others seems to like them too based on the prices they're going for.

Grabbed a $12 Logitech K120 at Wally World to tide me over until I found something I actually liked, have been using it for 6 months or so and haven't seen a need to replace it. Nice feel and just enough noise.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I just received my G19 and I already miss my MS keyboard. This thing is tiny. :(
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I've thought about the fancy keyboards, but always decide against them in the end. Hell, I've never even really rebound keys, I've just used the mouse, that's what it's there for after all. After deciding pvp is going to be a pain in guild wars 2, I decided to try binding my skills from 6-0 buttons onto other keys. I'm getting used to it, and I may en up liking it better, but that's it. I can't think of anything else that I'd need to re bind or make a macro for.

I played a bard in eq and a Druid in wow, not to mention other games in between. Point being I usually gravitate towards the classes that are a little more complex and I haven't ever seen the need for a keyboard with a shit ton of programmable keys, what could you guys possibly
Be using that shit for?

The mouse on the other hand, I can see. If like to find one similar to the one winnow posted, but I want one that uses replaceable batteries so I don't have to charge it or go corded when it dies.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

move along he-who-only-uses-smartphone-as-a-phone!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:move along he-who-only-uses-smartphone-as-a-phone!
Lol, just because I don't want some of the dumb, gimmiicky features that have no real useful purpose, doesn't make that a true statement.

And its a valid question. What could you really need them for? I could maybe see it if you're still playing eq2 and have yourself convinced you need access to four bars of skills, but other than that I'm not sure.

P.S. posted from my smartphone.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I don't use the G-keys too much anymore, but I used them a lot in Rift on my bard for "twisting" cadences. I still think I have only needed a max of two sets of keys for any profile I've set up. I use the LCD whenever it is fed info in a game, and also to cycle through news feeds while doing random activities that don't require 100% attention. The LCD has also come in handy when using Ventrillo for me personally, as I tend to miss any other pop-ups with who is speaking. The new Logitech's screen will even work with youtube videos.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Funkmasterr wrote:a Druid in wow ... what could you guys possibly Be using that shit for?
I started using my G15 again for the heck of it and I bind my attack sequences to my G keys. Yeah, I'm lazy but it's much easier and less delay between keys even means more dps if you want to get techy about it (which I don't). I've got one for whether I using wild charge, one which auto exits cat form, casts Moonfire and Faerie Fire, then goes back into cat form, one which uses faerie fire in my rotation, one which doesn't.. there's 4 G keys right there just so I can be lazy.

Never underestimate the power of laziness.. and carpal tunnel pain.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

To Each their own, I suppose. My fingers still get lost going from wasd keys to the number keys after countless years of doing it for computer games, so I don't think I could use keys that were even further away and in a unfamiliar spot efficiently.

I will say that I've noticed a considerable difference in my efficiency in guild wars 2 after rebinding my keys so I'm not clicking to use abilities.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

I will definitely say I wish the G keys were on the right hand side instead of left on the G15. With WoW at least, it seems you're constantly needing to move and turn. Having to reach over with a pinky to hit a G key is a pain. I'd much rather use my right hand since I'm not using the mouse most of the time.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

End game forces you to use the mouse a lot if only to constantly adjust your position...

It's such an arbitrary mechanic it made me miss being able have clerics staring at a wall and never moving for hours in EQ.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

I've had my G19 for a few years now. It is an amazing keyboard, but I've had an issue with it from the start. The fucking screen will not work for me, and I have spent hours upon hours on many different days trying to find a fix.

It makes me so sad :(
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I thought I found a replacement for my aging Logitech G15 keyboard in the Steelseries Merc Stealth before actually looking into the thing. The changes to the numpad were too hard to get used to. The keyboard was the same size as the original (huge) G15, and they managed to make room for the movement and hotkeys by chopping off the right side of the standard keyboard. I think I need to just go with a standard keyboard now. That thing sucked.