Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Re: Not iPhones

Post by Animalor »

Here's a few apps I use regularly

Apps:
Here's a sampling of the ones I use on almsot a daily basis.
Google Reader - NextGen Reader
Twitter Client - rowi (There is a lite version too. Ad supported I believe).
Weather - WeatherFlow
Foursquare (if you like/do that type of stuff) - 4th & Mayor
Network Dashboard - This one allows you to pin certain sections of the settings to your home screen. I have Bluetooth and Wifi pinned. The free trial version is all I use. No need to pay.
Bing Translator - This one is of limited use unless travelling however makes for a fantastic demo piece. Expecially text translation from camera capture.
GasBuddy.com is one that's great as well. Pin your local gas station for easy price updates on your home screen.

Games
Here are a few of the cool, free ones I've come across. Most of these are Xbox live enabled. There are various games at various prices.
Wordament - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-CA/apps/ ... 237de2db9e
Call of Carlos - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-CA/apps/ ... f5022c76f1
Breeze - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-CA/apps/ ... de28d6e162
Shuffle Party - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-CA/apps/ ... c267e14305
An Xbox Live-enabled verion of Minesweeper and Sudoku are in there as well.

Tip
There's a feature of Bing called Local scout that's extremely cool. However at the moment it's US only. To enable it up here, go to Settings, scroll down to "region+language", then scroll all the way down to "Browser & search language".
Change it to "English (United States)". Now if you hit your search icon, you'll have a new option for the first icon. Tap that, let is use your location and you'll get all sorts of recommendations for food, events and shops around you. (Sadly, no reviews and recommendations in Canada). Tapping on those though will allow you to see info and open those locations in other apps, like opentable, yelp, Nokia Maps or any other apps that are programs to use that feature.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Deep-Sixed my iPhone 4 while playing in the surf with a Swedish chick in Belize. Why it was in my pocket I may never know (the phone).

So, I picked up a Samsung Galaxy S2 today at Best Buy. I bought it retail so I will be able to get the next version in June w/ 2-year upgrade. Luckily, I can at least reclaim 50% of the purchase at BB for returning S2 and still qualify for the upgrade to S3.

Only one more Apple product (iPod) to go!!!! (Almost) good riddance to iTunes, yayayyy!
en kærlighed småkager
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

The only thing preventing me from carrying only my Lumia 900 is that I can't do podcasts at 1.5x or 2x speeds. I'm doing some research to see if I can make a podcast app that could play back at double speed as well. There doesn't appear to be anything present in the API's that would point to this being a simple task.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

What's the story, 4.8" screen a little too big for a phone?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574410 ... =txt;title

I guess it isn’t since Samsung is selling phones like crazy, just seems to be a little ridiculous to walk around w/ that giant screen in your hand
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

just seems to be a little ridiculous to walk around w/ that giant screen in your hand
Apps are usually much better on a larger screen.
Email/Texting/Etc is much easier on a larger on-screen keyboard.
Web browsing and social media is a lot better as well... less zooming, panning and pinching.
Media looks better on a bigger screen.

As for phone use (holding a 'phone' that large up to your ear DOES make you look goofy), just use a wired or bluetooth headset.

As long as the thing fits in my pocket, it's not too big!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Due to hyperdimensional physics, apps look better on the iPhones 3.5 in screen.

That S3 is looks nice. Due to no fault of my own (age), I need a bigger screen soon. It's looking like apple is doing something kooky like stretching the iPhone for a longer/taller screen to reach 4 inches in order to keep the width of the phone the same (if recent rumors are true). Not sure I really care about taller. Wider is good too.

Sounds like battery life is an issue, but if iOS 6 isn't impressive and the iPhone 5's screen isn't enlarged enough, I may try out an S3 when it comes to AT&T. There's at least a window of opportunity simply due to screen size for me to use an Android. (maybe Window 8 although the home screen is butt-ugly so I doubt that. Any OS that wastes a huge part of the home screen is retarded)
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

That's the thing, it may acutally be too big for my pocket during the work week. Everything fits in cargo shorts, so no big deal there.
No telling if this phone will make it to Verizon though. I've been off contract since Feb and nothing from the carrier has interested me enough to upgrade from my droid 1. And I am always on the lookout. This phone might fit the bill if it's not too obnoxiously big to hold (dont and won't use bluetooth)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

My Lumia 900 is 4.3" which is a pretty much perfect size for my tastes.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I've never had a 4.8 or a 5.3 but the 4.3 of the Lumia 900 is a very nice, confortable and functional size for a phone. It is slightly awkward for talking but that's one of the lesser used features of it anyways.

A headset takes care of that issue nicely too.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Animalor wrote:It is slightly awkward for talking
Grow a bigger face, noob!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

There a release date yet for Samsung Galaxy S3? The 4.3" S2 is certainly large, but fits just fine in the pocket. As long as I can carry the 4.8" S3 in front pocket, that would be fine. Most calls I make with a Bluetooth Jawbone thingy, so that isn't an issue.

Definitely looking forward to more screen real estate! I also hope they improve the screen as the glare is awful! I think iPhone has a much better screen for outdoors, except in harsh sunlight. Really not a huge deal for me, but it is notable.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

There have been a lot of release dates for the Galaxy s3 :P They've all been "announced" by retailers/carriers, but haven't actually...happened yet
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I've only seen solid dates for UK.

That said, I am guessing they are trying to figure out when Apple is going to announce their new iTunes tether-device.

Enough already! :P

At least make Icecream Sandwich a standard update for S2! Sooo much better OS.
en kærlighed småkager