Support, Discussion, Reviews
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Re: Touchpad liquidation sales

Post by Animalor »

And another decent thread being ruined by the Apple circle jerk.

I hate fucking fanboys.

Some Touchpad news.
HP honoring warranties and possible more ota updates: http://www.precentral.net/webos-ota-upd ... be-honored

6 free apps from the catalog: http://www.precentral.net/hp-kicks-out- ... p-six-pack
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well honestly this thread was pretty much dead otherwise since all the Touchpads have been liquidated! None to be found unless you want to pay more than what HP reduced them down to. If I could go into the store and buy one for $150 I would. But it's pretty much if you weren't able to get one by now at that price you're pretty much out of luck.

Oh and miir.. Everytime you read a Winnow post about Apple that's pretty much the same reaction the rest of us have when we read a post from you about Sony.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:They are actually called things like: the industry standard, the products to which all others are compared, market leaders, trend setters, revolutionary, the envy of very single competitor in the business...you know, lots of things that aren't flippant, hand wavings from a fucking retard like yourself.
Don't forget MAGICAL

But are you seriously trying to deny that the iphone is nothing more than an ipod touch with a phone and the ipad is just a bigger ipod touch?

Size matters. If you think you're going to get the same experience from a 3.5 inch screen as you do on a 10 inch screen....well, up your meds! As for iPod Touch vs iPhone, having 3G/constant internet connection is a HUGE difference in it's usefulness. iPhone also allowed iOS devices to reach critical mass and pretty much destroy the competition when it comes to App development. Android has tried it's best by offering a less functional/polished OS for free to any company that can slap some parts together...which btw causes all sorts of issues with compatibility and ease of OS updating, but it sucks ass when it comes to it's App store and development. Add another dose!

Is it bothering you that iOS scales so well and that Android's already less user friendly OS scales like crap and that they're still working on Honeycomb and beyond, trying to get some sort of an OS to compete with iOS on tablets? Apple will remain ahead of the pack in OS and hardware for years to come. They've got the head start, money, and brains to make it happen. You can deal with the WinX and Android Betas but for something I'm on the road with, I don't want to tinker.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Aslanna wrote:Well honestly this thread was pretty much dead otherwise since all the Touchpads have been liquidated! None to be found unless you want to pay more than what HP reduced them down to. If I could go into the store and buy one for $150 I would. But it's pretty much if you weren't able to get one by now at that price you're pretty much out of luck.

Oh and miir.. Everytime you read a Winnow post about Apple that's pretty much the same reaction the rest of us have when we read a post from you about Sony.
I believe there are still more tablets to be released from inventory, but I'm not positive. Pretty sure I read something about another round that should be available soon(tm).
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

If you want to access homebrew patches or application for your touchpad.

http://www.webosbuzz.com/hp-touchpad/63 ... chpad.html

Once you have preware installed, you can install some patches, custom kernels and other things to improve performance quite a bit as well overclock the cpu.

A lot of the stuff on preware is meant for the phones but will still run on the Touchpad.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:...
You're emphasizing my point far better than I ever could have, just need to throw some "science" at us and you'll be golden. :D

The ladies going to Fair got what they got, will likely be disappointed and will later get an iPad or toss the Touchpad in the drawer and get a replacement as "tablets are useless".

Mine's already exceeded my (low) expectations for it. As far as apps go, what I was looking for exists now, so the .000001% decent apps of the zillion available for iPoo are irrelevant to me.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The women I work with only bought them because they were on sale. None of them have any idea, or really any reason at all to own a tablet (or laptop or desktop for that matter). My issue is that a discontinued item like this will require a lot of attention and general know how to use it to it's greatest potential. These women can barely work a rudimentary cell phone. It just seems like a waste. If/when it ends up in a drawer it certainly won't be because the device is useless, it will be because they don't know what to do with it. It would be the same thing if they had an iPad, but at least the iPad has an integrated, healthy, and active storefront for books, videos, and music. With the HP, they'll have to "figure stuff out" and I just don't see them doing that. My friend that has 3 of them though, he's golden. He'll milk the HP for everything it's worth.

I have 1 woman with an extra she wants to sell me for 100$, but I'm still on the fence. It might be fun to mess around with...
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Fair, if you dont want it Id paypal you + a few bucks for your trouble...
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote: Oh and miir.. Everytime you read a Winnow post about Apple that's pretty much the same reaction the rest of us have when we read a post from you about Sony.
Except for the fact that Winnow mentions apple/ipad/iphone 5 times more often than Miir mentions Sony.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

miir wrote:
Aslanna wrote: Oh and miir.. Everytime you read a Winnow post about Apple that's pretty much the same reaction the rest of us have when we read a post from you about Sony.
Except for the fact that Winnow mentions apple/ipad/iphone 5 times more often than Miir mentions Sony.
Well played sir...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:

That's because Apple is 5 times better than Sony...with their horrible controller, hard to program for console, crappy insecure online, gaming machine. Perhaps if they had Apple design their hardware next round it would be a little more functional. Sony and Apple both have expensive products but at least Apple's work as intended and they don't remove features on a monthly basis.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote: they don't remove features on a monthly basis.
And yet you still can't sort your music on ios by album artist
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote: they don't remove features on a monthly basis.
And yet you still can't sort your music on ios by album artist
At least it wasn't a removed feature. They never said you could. Try using search. It works wonders.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

You still butthurt that you cant run linux on your PS3 eventhough you never did?

At least I can delete music and videos from my PS3 without hooking it up to a computer.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:You still butthurt that you cant run linux on your PS3 eventhough you never did?

At least I can delete music and videos from my PS3 without hooking it up to a computer.
Don't be cheap. Buy a larger HD so you don't have to delete!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The women I work with only bought them because they were on sale. None of them have any idea, or really any reason at all to own a tablet (or laptop or desktop for that matter). My issue is that a discontinued item like this will require a lot of attention and general know how to use it to it's greatest potential. These women can barely work a rudimentary cell phone. It just seems like a waste.
And that's the brilliance of Apples marketing, these types are just pull through revenue for the industry. They'd be just fine with any $50 phone they could glue to their head and send endless texts with, but spend 10x as much to get a device they've no idea how to use or desire to.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:Don't be cheap. Buy a larger HD so you don't have to delete!
Heheh :)
As for iPod Touch vs iPhone, having 3G/constant internet connection is a HUGE difference in it's usefulness.
My wifi connection downtown is actually more reliable than my 3g connection. There's no cell reception underground or on the subways... yet.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

QuickOffice just got an update today to allow document editing. You can now open a document or spreadsheet from any source(including google docs or box.net), edit and resave it to the original source or save as to another location.

it's incredibly well done and makes the Touchpad a lot more useful.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

HP confirms that at least one more OTA update is coming to the Touchpad.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/30/hp-t ... tionality/
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239224/t ... o_far.html

When will the new HP TouchPads go on sale?
HP isn't sure exactly when it will have its last run of TouchPads available for purchase. The company figures it will be at least a few weeks. If you signed up to be notified via email, HP says it will let you know when TouchPads are available, and the company will also update its TouchPad FAQ page with more information.

How many can I buy at once?
It's not clear how many you will be allowed to buy, but don't count on buying truckloads of the device, as HP says it will impose a purchase limit for each customer.
That's good at least. People buying up mass quantities just to sell on ebay = lame
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Wife and daughter have seen mine and want one, will likely never get used for anything. With luck the battery(s) won't go to crap before this one's does.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I just installed (earlier today) the Cyanogenmod alpha for the Touchpad. Working great so far.

Very easy to do, as well. It dual boots with WebOS, so you can still get into that if you'd like. Pretty slick!
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

If you own the Touchpad, HP released update 3.0.4 update today. It really smoothed out the performance nicely and added a few nice features. Answering called coming into my Windows Phone on the HP Touchpad works great =)

http://blog.palm.com/palm/2011/10/whats ... -304-.html
webOS 3.0.4

HP webOS 3.0.4 makes TouchPad snappier, includes a new camera app, makes it easier to find great TouchPad apps in the App Catalog, and a number of other improvements.

Core applications

Camera
■New front-facing photo and video camera app. Browser
■Larger tap targets for easier tapping.
■Increased support for Flash & Flash plug-ins, including recognizing accelerometer events.

App Catalog
■Added ability to view only TouchPad, Phone, or All applications in App Catalog.
■Launching and viewing App Catalog contents are quicker.
■Improvements of the user interface include app icon appearance, responsive tap targets, and formatting of the app description.

Music
■You can add songs to a playlist from Album view.
■OGG Vorbis and FLAC media files are supported.

Messaging
■Setting status (online/offline) per account is now supported. For example, you can be offline on your work account and online on your personal account.
■You can set your status to invisible on Yahoo! Messenger.

Phone
■ You can now pair a phone that is not a webOS phone to the TouchPad, so you can answer calls on the TouchPad.

NOTE: Most devices cannot send or receive SMS (text messages) from the TouchPad. The SMS Mirroring functionality needed to send and receive SMS from the TouchPad requires the Bluetooth Message Access Profile (MAP) to be supported by the phone.

Email
■Performance of the Microsoft Exchange Global Address List (GAL) when composing a new email or using Just Type has been improved.
■Added support for the Microsoft Exchange Autodiscover service to assist in setting up Microsoft Exchange accounts without having to enter server configuration information.

Additional bug fixes in Maps, Contacts, Calendar, and App Catalog.

webOS System

Keyboard
■Bluetooth keyboard pairing with generic keyboards has been simplified and now includes an automatically generated pairing code and instructions on how to pair.
■System load balancing: webOS maintains a higher level of overall usability when the system is downloading a large amount of data (for example, during a restore) or is installing apps.

Security

This release addresses a number of security issues with HP webOS software.

Individuals interested in contacting HP to report suspected security issues can find more information at hpwebos.com/security.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Release seems pretty nice other than one oddity. When connected via my main AP I can't access FB and a couple other sites, when connected via my backup router with it's WAN port attached to an ethernet port on the main AP I connect just fine.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Odd. Can't say I've experienced anything like that.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Even went so far as doing a scorched earth reload as I had been playing with a lot of settings.

I'm guessing it's the router, not the TP. When coming back up clean I couldn't't send any traffic via it from the TP and the de-wrt router works fine.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Today, I loaded Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) on my Touchpad. The build I'm running is Cyanogenmod 9 Alpha 0.6.

The process is fairly simple. I followed the instructions at http://liliputing.com/2012/01/how-to-in ... alpha.html and got my binaries from the OP on the following thread - http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15509-releas ... -touchpad/

The setup is very slick. It installs a bootloader from the recovery console and setup your Touchpad as dual boot WebOS and Android. The process once you launch the ACMEInstaller2 is all automated.

There are a few things that aren't working still. Here's a list from the RootzWiki thread:
Hardware Video (OMX). As a result, Netflix does not work, YouTube works only only in non-HD videos. Use something like MXPlayer and SW codecs for your local media.

Audio is a mess. The microphone does not work. Work on the current libaudio solution has halted because we will eventually switch to a CAF libaudio.

Camera does not work. The only libcamera.so that we have is from froyo and its closed source. There is a wrapper for QCOM gingerbread libcamera libraries that could likely be used as a basis to get our camera working.

Market filters prevent some apps from being installed (this can partly solved by switching back to standard DPI settings(120, 160, 240). The current build is using 160 which fixes the market but makes everything look ugly and low resolution.
The base Android compilation that is on the RootzWiki site was compiled from the Android open source code. All the Google-specific stuff is actually closed source and people have been reverse-engineering them and making them available for Cyanogenmod builds. The ones I have that work very well have a filename of gapps_ice_4.0.3_v11. I haven't encountered any issue with any of the google services part of that file.

I'm incredibly impresed by the whole thing. The tablet runs very smoothly, ICS is responsive and everything reacts like I expect a tablet to. I can access the Android Marketplace and install apps(including the recently released Google Chrome beta for Android). I haven't done any tests on battery life but I expect to be able to get anywhere from 6-8 hours of heavy use from my preliminary tests.

I don't really see myself booting back into WebOS much at all from this point on to be honest. Best 100$ I spent in 2011.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Got around to doing this today,4.0 is very nice, I do like WebOS though.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Never did anything with my 32gb TP or touchstone and leather case... now Im selling them all for $275, which is less than I paid for everything.. all in new condition if any VV'ers are interested... would even do $250.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ ... 79845.html

Would ship with Paypal :)
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Android on the tablet is fast yes, but also much more noticeable as an advertising & data collection platform to the point of annoyance.

It's like being in a movie full of product placements.

I'll stick with WebOS. It's much more polished as well.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Here's the vibe I'm getting from Android. Everything is build to be functional but nothing is unique or has any personality. Cyanogenmod is about as close to vanilla as is available and everything feels just functional and not fun or inspiring.

Most of the apps are a straight port of iOS and the rest is ad-driven crap. There are a few that have made the effort to make a decent tablet app on android but most are just nicely up-rezed phone apps.

While I do bring up mostly negatives, the much better ecosystem found here will keep me on Android over WebOS.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Agree - I haven't seen anything yet that it has as an advantage (for me) over WebOS, which does everything I want it to at present.

When that changes I'll shift.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I think that my biggest complaint with running Android on my tablet is the memory/app management. I am not sure why I need to have another running app to close all of the apps I don't want to have running in the background.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

If you go to the app switcher icon in the lower left corner, you can bring up your apps that are currently running and close them by swiping to the right. I believe that kills the app completely.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I thought that too, but it doesn't seem to be. I ended up with a 4x1 widget that lets me stop all apps with a click, view memory resources, and battery life. It just seems odd that I was not able to find a way to actually stop apps from within Android 4.0.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Boogahz wrote:It just seems odd that I was not able to find a way to actually stop apps from within Android 4.0..
That in general is one of my biggest peeves with non-rooted Android.