Sprint Evo Phone/ Samsung Galaxy S

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sprint Evo Phone/ Samsung Galaxy S

Post by Winnow »

If there's anyone left out there that actually uses Sprint as their carrier, you've got a great new phone:

http://gizmodo.com/5500343/sprints-htc- ... e=true&s=i

I might get this phone just to play with the wifi/android stuff.

Video of the phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtGsNASxo8

Check out the camera on this thing (also has second front facing camera)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpwupQVUWII

The specs on this phone are amazing. I've decided I want both iPhone and Android so this might be the Android part of my dynamic duo with the iPhone 4 out around June being the other part. I'm probably going duo tablet as well with the iPad and whatever is the best open standard option out later this year.
* 3G/4G capability
* Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ QSD8650 (1GHz) processor
* 4.3” capacitive display with pinch-to-zoom and tactile feedback
* World-class HTML browser – bandwidth and quality that rival that of netbooks
* Android 2.1, with access to more than 30,000 apps on Android Market
* GoogleTM mobile services including Google SearchTM, Google MapsTM, Google TalkTM, GmailTM, YouTubeTM , and syncs with Google CalendarTM
* Access to Google Goggles™ to search with pictures instead of words
* Sprint Navigation, with turn-by-turn driving directions and 3D maps
* Updated HTC Sense, award-winning user experience, which includes Friend Stream to integrate Facebook, Twitter and more into a single flow of updates
* Visual voicemail
* Messaging – personal and business email, IM and text messaging
* 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability – connects up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices
* 4G data speeds (WiMAX) – peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1 Mbps; average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps.
* 3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A.) – peak download speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1.8 Mbps; average download speeds of 600 kbps-1.4 Mbps.

ENTERTAINMENT

* 8MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash and 1.3MP front-facing camera
* High-quality video streaming and downloads at 3G and 4G data speeds
* Capture and share HD-quality video (720p) from your phone
* Output pictures, slides and videos in HD quality (720p) via HDMI cable (sold separately)
* Live video sharing with Qik
* Built-in kickstand for hands-free viewing
* Media player with 3.5mm stereo headset jack
* FM radio and Amazon MP3 store
* Sprint applications including Sprint TV® and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile(SM)
* Bluetooth® 2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR
* Built-in WiFi®: 802.11 b/g
* Digital compass, G-Sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor, GPS
* Expandable memory: 8GB microSD card included; supports up to 32GB
Let's just say it: HTC's Evo 4G is the best Android phone out there. It may even be the best phone, period. Its combination of speed, size, and power mean that everyone else is officially playing catch-up.

If the HTC Evo looks familiar, that's because it is: the body may have some slight aesthetic modifications, but it's essentially a Touch HD2. Good thing, too—John referred to that device as "a perfect specimen of glass, plastic and aluminum." The same applies here, with the Evo feeling substantial in the hand but slim enough that it couldn't ever be considered bulky.

The familiar HTC Sense UI skin is there, too, nestled atop Android 2.1 and impressively responsive. I can see why Kat was such a fan of the combination on the Europe-only (so far) HTC Legend. Although I didn't have much time to explore, the movement from screen to screen looked smooth and fast. The Evo also includes a convenient "helicopter view" that lets you view all of your home screens simultaneously.

The phone's design also stresses one of its main points of differentiation: incredibly smooth HD video. Why have a phone that can stream 720p HD if you're not going to make it easy to watch? The 4.3-inch (480x800) TFT LCD is bright and crisp, and the device features HDMI-out that can hook up with your TV given an adaptor. There's also that built-in kickstand, which provides an excellent viewing angle.

All of that, of course, comes without even mentioning the Evo's WiMax/4G capabilities. While the phone still makes calls over CDMA, WiMax kicks in for data. The blazing fast download speeds you get on WiMax currently aren't that widely available, but Sprint plans to cover 120 million people by the end of the year. Since the Evo won't be available until this summer at the earliest, Sprint's got time to build up the network enough to make their crown jewel actually fill out its potential. The little downloading that I was able to see was clearly a cut above. And don't forget: it can act as a Hotspot for up to eight devices. For a phone? That's not just unprecedented. That's almost unbelievable.

Hold on, I think this will be my Android phone. OLED and AT&T:

Check out the beautiful screen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce_oEzSosic

http://www.betanews.com/article/CTIAs-o ... 1269390426
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Sprint Evo Phone/ Samsung Galaxy S

Post by miir »

yawn
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:yawn

are you serious? Name a better phone.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I'm serious.. who the fuck cares.

It's hard to get excited about the newest and best smartphone that's released every other week.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:I'm serious.. who the fuck cares.

It's hard to get excited about the newest and best smartphone that's released every other week.
Sucks to be you!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

* 3G/4G capability
* Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ QSD8650 (1GHz) processor
* 4.3” capacitive display with pinch-to-zoom and tactile feedback
* World-class HTML browser – bandwidth and quality that rival that of netbooks
* Android 2.1, with access to more than 30,000 apps on Android Market
* GoogleTM mobile services including Google SearchTM, Google MapsTM, Google TalkTM, GmailTM, YouTubeTM , and syncs with Google CalendarTM
* Access to Google Goggles™ to search with pictures instead of words
* Sprint Navigation, with turn-by-turn driving directions and 3D maps
* Updated HTC Sense, award-winning user experience, which includes Friend Stream to integrate Facebook, Twitter and more into a single flow of updates
* Visual voicemail
* Messaging – personal and business email, IM and text messaging
* 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability – connects up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices
* 4G data speeds (WiMAX) – peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1 Mbps; average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps.
* 3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A.) – peak download speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1.8 Mbps; average download speeds of 600 kbps-1.4 Mbps.

ENTERTAINMENT

* 8MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash and 1.3MP front-facing camera
* High-quality video streaming and downloads at 3G and 4G data speeds
* Capture and share HD-quality video (720p) from your phone
* Output pictures, slides and videos in HD quality (720p) via HDMI cable (sold separately)
* Live video sharing with Qik
* Built-in kickstand for hands-free viewing
* Media player with 3.5mm stereo headset jack
* FM radio and Amazon MP3 store
* Sprint applications including Sprint TV® and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile(SM)
* Bluetooth® 2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR
* Built-in WiFi®: 802.11 b/g
* Digital compass, G-Sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor, GPS
* Expandable memory: 8GB microSD card included; supports up to 32GB

The feature set is very impressive. Using the phone itself as a hub for up to eight devices using 4G WiMax is also impressive. The 4G network of Sprint's is getting great reviews and expanding rapidly. I hate Sprint but they now have the Evo and Nexus One and have aggressively pursued speedy/cheap internet access for their customers.

Sprint's stand alone 4G Wimax device that can be used with other Wifi gizmos like the iPhone is also cool if you haven't read up on it yet.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-0 ... phone.html
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/192286/s ... tures.html
At least on paper, the HTC EVO 4G from Sprint absolutely crushes. It's not just one killer feature that puts the EVO over the top; the spec sheet reads like a wish list for anyone who's owned a touchscreen smartphone. We won't find out until this summer whether Sprint's exclusive 4G phone makes the best of its features, but in the meantime, here are five things to get excited about:

4.3-inch Touch Screen

Only one other Android phone has a screen that comes close, the newly-announced Samsung Galaxy S, which has a 4-inch touch screen. HTC has tried the 4.3-inch format before with the HTC HD2, but that phone loses points for running the soon-to-be outdated Windows Mobile 6.5. Sprints promise of downloading, watching and editing high definition content on the EVO makes the large screen even more enticing.

Two Cameras

It's about time we saw this feature on a high-end smartphone. On the back the EVO is an 8-megapixel camera -- itself an impressive bullet point -- for photos and "HD-capable" video capture. There's also a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera, presumably for video chat and self portraits. Please let this become a standard feature on smartphones to come.

"Leap" to Multitask

As you'd expect, HTC layers its Sense user interface on top of Android 2.1, but with a new feature called "Leap." This is a multitasking manager that reveals every open program when you pinch anywhere on the phone's home screen. It's an idea that's begging to copied -- fodder for a future patent lawsuit, perhaps?

The Kickstand

When a phone has a large screen for viewing HD content, it ought to have a kickstand for propping the screen upright on a table or desk, as the EVO does. It may seem insignificant, but long flights are already uncomfortable enough without craning your neck downward to see your phone's screen.

4G, Of Course

The feature that gets top billing in the HTC EVO 4G is the one you're least likely to use for a while. Yes, the phone works over Sprint's budding 4G network, which makes for some impressive download speeds. Unless you're in one of the 27 cities where Sprint has already rolled out the next generation of mobile broadband, or one of the 15 that will come online this year, you'll rely on plain-old 3G instead. But think of it as future-proofing. You'll probably be stuck with a two-year contract anyhow.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Did anyone actually go with the Evo on Sprint? I'm considering going off Verizon as my Wireless carrier because I'm looking in to joining the world of Smart Phones, but the price difference between Verizon and Sprint data plans is significant to me; another $60/month to add a data plan for myself and my wife.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

Psyloche wrote:Did anyone actually go with the Evo on Sprint?
We looked at them but went with the Galaxy S on AT&T. The Evo just got the 2.2 update, so that might be something to consider, but Sprint is getting the Galaxy S Pro as the Epic 4G (with the physical keyboard) soon. If you want to stick with Verizon, you should check out the Galaxy S.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

What was Sprint calling 4G? "Real" 4G infrastructure is being deployed in the US right now. Handsets don't exist for all intents and purposes.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

From Sprint's coverage map, they have 4G only in the largest cities in the US. However, they do have 3G all the way down here in the dangling chad of Florida, which is better than AT&T has managed to roll out in three fucking years.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I'd use telegram or CB radio before I'd even consider going back to Sprint.

Ever.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I picked up the Galaxy S/Vibrant for T Mobile on Friday and I love it! It has a ton of cool featurss and so far I have no complaints.

It came with a kindle program on it, and im thinking of giving that a shot.

The clarity of the screen on this thong is amazing, it came with a copy of avatar loaded on it, and it looks and plays great!
Stonie
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Stonie »

I've had my Evo for a week now and love it so far. I've never had a data phone until this, so I can't really make a comparison from long-term experience. I have dorked around on Facebook and some other fun apps on my friends' iPhones. So far, the Evo works as smoothly as theirs. I've been meaning to try Skype with a friend that has an Android to see how well 3G handles that.

Battery life is shit, but I knew that going into this. My old phone's charger is the same as this Evo, so I have one at home, one at work, and one in the car. It's pretty much charging whenever I'm in one of those places.

I have solid 3G coverage in my suburbia town, and sporadic 4G when I'm in Nashville.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I read lots of battery life complaints about the LG vortex before I bought it. Get a task killer and don't leave GPS\bluetooth on 24x7 and battery life is decent considering what the device is, ~5 days for me with normal phone use and some email\surfing. Using it as an active GPS will chow the battery but it still lasts all day, similar to a regular handheld GPS.

New generation batteries don't have memory issues so just throw it on the charger nightly, it's better for it than running it down near nothing repeatedly.
Stonie wrote:...sporadic 4G when I'm in Nashville.
Unless you're using an LTE or WiMax USB dongle there is no actual 4G in the US for all intents and purposes, production chipsets aren't even available to make the handsets. 3.5G perhaps. Right now it's just advertising. You'll see phones around Christmas at a guess.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:
Stonie wrote:...sporadic 4G when I'm in Nashville.
Unless you're using an LTE or WiMax USB dongle there is no actual 4G in the US for all intents and purposes, production chipsets aren't even available to make the handsets. 3.5G perhaps. Right now it's just advertising. You'll see phones around Christmas at a guess.

What? The EVO has 4G. Recheck your sources!

Of course, 4G can be anything but Sprint's phone has no dongle to receive it.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Dr. Benkman wrote:Yes it's true your honor, Sprint has no dongle.