Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:
Winnow wrote:I'd love for a competitor to offer something worthwhile so Apple would have to cut their margins.
Indeed. WTF blackberry?
Aren't they about to go bankrupt?

Come on people! Buy those Win 7 and Android phones! Is their marketing that bad that Apple can capture 80% of the profits with just 8%? Apple could offer their phones for $5.00 and still compete with the crap coming from other companies. Make it happen!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Perhaps companies are biding their time... Let this Apple obsession run its course for now, and then jump back into the fray with renewed momentum. Apple is the only recognized brand, and other companies can't go toe-to-toe today.

Of course, I'm pretty much clueless about this shit.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:Perhaps companies are biding their time... Let this Apple obsession run its course for now, and then jump back into the fray with renewed momentum. Apple is the only recognized brand, and other companies can't go toe-to-toe today.

Of course, I'm pretty much clueless about this shit.
I don't think they're biding their time. These large companies have shareholders to answer to. I agree everything tops out at some point but Apple sales are still increasing. I think it's just amazing what they've done. It's impressive.

Hoping for a larger screen on my next iPhone. If anything, if for some reason, they stick with a 3.5 inch screen yet again, I'll consider moving on. My eyes are going!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I'd love to be able to ssh into another device from my iphone and run from a terminal.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hmmm, the rumors for thelook of the new phone are starting to look a little better:

http://gizmodo.com/5916526/rumored-ipho ... ody-design

16:9 screen would be nice. thinner, with what appears to be possibly better speaker/mic area on bottom of phone.

Of course, this might all be bogus info but the video looks pretty good.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

My Apple TV has an error since the latest itune update that does not allow me to use Home Sharing. That's the main reason I boight them. The Apple forums have a shitload of people all with the same problem. Apple has not responded yet. I hope they fix this soon or else I basically have 3 100$ paper weights.

It just says "turn on home sharing in itunes". I have, it's on, no sharing on any of my units. I guess I'll have to wait for an update. Grrrr.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

iphone 5 is pretty meh.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Unless you're a sheep. I'm sure they will still sell a bajillion of the things. Baaaa!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:iphone 5 is pretty meh.
It is kind of boring. I need to watch the full presentation later tonight. At least I have two days to decide if I want it before pre orders.

The performance stats/upgrades are really nice. Always high quality components. Still not convinced on the screen size.

Gotta say this is impressive:
Battery life

If true, this is impressive: 8 hours of 3G talk time, 8 hours of LTE browsing, 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing, 30 hours of video and 225 hours of standby.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

This will ultimately turn into iMadden 20xx. Lookie-look, same shit +/- features but it is THE NEW VERSION with updates rostarrrs! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Supposedly Samsung is sitting on an LTE patent lawsuit to be filed the moment it's released into the wild.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aabidano wrote:Supposedly Samsung is sitting on an LTE patent lawsuit to be filed the moment it's released into the wild.
Which will do them absolutely zero good.

That said I was underwhelmed too, I don't know if I'll be sticking with a iPhone when I upgrade sometime before the end of this year.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Does anyone have a decent source for blackberry apps? Yeah, yeah, I know.. I got a Torch from work and figured I'd play around with it. But holy fark actually buying apps for a BB is expensive. Screw that. Don't suggest usenet or TPB, neither have jack for blackberry apps.

As a side by side comparison, it's no wonder the iPhone has the largest market share. It's a serious pain in the ass trying to figure out where to configure stuff on this thing. Such a convoluted menu system and such limited options on stuff you should be able to set as a nobrainer.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Siji wrote: it's no wonder the iPhone has the largest market share.
Except that it doesn't.
Andriod has nearly 70% market share with Samsung leading the way at roughly 33%
Apple is around 16%

Blackberry is a great enterprise email device that infosec and compliance people love.
It's not a very good consumer device.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Blackberry is a great enterprise email device that infosec and compliance people love.
It's not a very good consumer device.
Bingo. I carry a BB for work and S3 for personal. BES servers work, so BB wins for MSEXCHANGE, by far. Other than that, meh.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Siji wrote: it's no wonder the iPhone has the largest market share.
Except that it doesn't.
Andriod has nearly 70% market share with Samsung leading the way at roughly 33%
Apple is around 16%

Wow only 16% yet they still beat out Android! MAGICAL! Somehow, a bazillion people using various versions of Android doesn't equal quality apps when pirating is so rampant and it's a crapshoot if an android app will work on your phone.

The majority of Android users are dumbasses that are lucky if they can figure out how to make a phone call running Android -0.3, four generation old OS. They got their free Android plastic phones and amaze their friends with stories about how they were able to change their ring tone.

What was that noise? That was your Android phone's cheap plastic making creaking sounds. Look there. It came from right near that flash-lighting light leakage in the corner of your screen.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Is iCock apple flavoured?
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Choice is great.

I'll choose the phone with the highest quality, best apps and developer support, best customer service, ease of use, reliability, track record...oh my, it goes on and on.

Not really seeing a reason to switch. I ordered an iPhone 5 earlier, and kept my grandfathered unlimited data plan which is yet another reason to not switch.

Galaxy SIII is a valid alternative to the latest iPhone even with its bluish-white off colored AMOLED screen. Not all phones can have reference color quality screens. At least this year, I had a real choice. I'm thinking the next round of Android/Windows 8 phones in the coming year will force Apple to innovate again.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote: Image

Wow only 16% yet they still beat out Android! MAGICAL! Somehow, a bazillion people using various versions of Android doesn't equal quality apps when pirating is so rampant and it's a crapshoot if an android app will work on your phone.
Could you link some more graphs that reference 1.5 year old data.

When that pie chart was current, Andriod's US market share would have been around 45%, iOS around 30% and Blackberry around 10%. It wasn't until the middle/end of 2011 did the Android Market start catching up to Apple's app store.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

If you want good data, check out Horace Dediu's site, Asymco. This chart is of particular relevance to the current discussion... move the slider along the bottom to go from 2007 to the most current data available.

http://www.asymco.com/hire-me/platforms-data/
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm not anti Android. I hope Android and Windows 8 phones/OS keep improving as they have. I still give the edge to Apple for quality in both hardware and software but it's not as significant as in the past.

From here on out Apple/Windows 8/Android should provide great choices to the consumer.

I did actually think about this before I decided to order the iPhone 5. Apple still has the best overall package of hardware/software/support. There are parts of other phones that are better but there is no better overall phone IMO.

To be clear, I'm not berating anyone owning a phone such as the Galaxy SIII. I'm glad the new iPhone has at least a 4" inch screen now but I'd still prefer larger.

For my primary use of smart phones: calls, SMS, podcasts, audiobooks, stock trades, and various news/info sources, I don't see a compelling reason to switch. On the flip side, I'm sure many are completely satisfied with android or upcoming windows 8 phones.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:On the flip side, I'm sure many are completely satisfied with android or upcoming windows 8 phones.

except for miir, he is never satisfied with anything!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote:
Winnow wrote:On the flip side, I'm sure many are completely satisfied with android or upcoming windows 8 phones.

I AM DAMN UNSATISFIED!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

miir wrote:
Boogahz wrote:

I AM DAMN UNSATISFIED!
A vibrator in the ass while masturbating helps.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Late Sunday, news broke that a massive riot took place inside the Asian Foxconn facility where much of the new iPhone 5 production is taking place.

Initial reports indicated that as many as 2,000 individuals may have been involved in the skirmish, which quickly turned violent and grew into an out-of-control scene of utter choas. According to Reuters, things got so out of hand that the entire plant had to be shut down.

Within minutes of the riot's outbreak, police in riot-gear stormed the facility in hopes of quelling the imbroglio. The first wave of reports, however, did not indicate what triggered the riot.

As of this writing, it isn't clear if and how iPhone 5 production will be impacted.
I got an email that my iPhone shipped out of China on Monday! Whew! :vv_boxing:
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I am not sure what is more impressive:

1. Apple continues to get huge demand for a "meh" product upgrade.
2. The word imbroglio.

IMBROGLIO!!!!!!
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I am unimpressed with the new iphone and was pretty pissed to have google maps and youtube removed from my phone. Jasmine is a better native youtube app though.

The new maps program is clearly inferior to google maps. I want google maps back. It is one of my most often used apps on my iphone.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

You didn't know Apple removed those apps prior to production?
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Canelek wrote:You didn't know Apple removed those apps prior to production?
They removed them with ios6. They are now gone from all of my idevices.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I wasn't overly impressed with ios 6. Removed two of the things I use the most, and added a bunch of shit, most of which I don't care about. Add to that the iPhone 5 is a marginal upgrade, even compared to the iPhone 4 (as opposed to the 4S), and I have a hard time seeing myself get another iPhone when it's time to upgrade sometime in the next 6 months.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Oh the irony.

Well, that's what they get for thinking they could copy Google Maps without ripping code.

Of course, they don't care--hell, they have a built in cash supply from droves of people that treat Apple products like depressed housewives treat Michael Jackson. OMGOMGMOGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGM IPHONEEEE APPLE STICKER!!!!! I WIN WITH INGENUITYIYIYIYYY

:D
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Don't use Maps and iphone 5 is not just a marginal upgrade from 4. 4s maybe but not 4.

Fastest phone out

Best quality screen

Nice starting points. Seems like maps was a pretty big fuck up on Apple's part through. Gives people something to bitch about. There's a google maps app already prepared so doesn't seem like a big deal unless Apple is dumb enough to reject it.

While I don't use maps, I do use the speaker and that was upgraded.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The fallout from maps has been pretty severe. I live in the midwest so it works fine for me for everything I have had to use it for. It is lacking business data though, which I notice a lot. It must be really noticable in a larger city. For me, maps isn't a total bust, but I also have not had a great deal of time using it yet. The true test will come when I'm on the road or in a large city. I'm not really looking forward to it!

The problem with having Google Maps as an app is that you likely will not be able to set it as a default. So when you hit a link, Maps opens by default, not Google Maps. It's going to make me have to copy/paste and open seperate apps. It's going to complicate things when the best things about it was the simplicity and integration.

The program will get better. Eventually it will have loads more data. Afterall, it has taken Google Maps a decade to get to where it's at. I guess that's one of the things that makes this change so jarring and shitty though. Apple is putting one of it's weakest efforts up against one of Google's strongest and they are really looking like chumps. It's not a fair fight. As a customer, I am not happy getting stuck with the loser app, especially an app that is so important to me.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

My iPhone had been in Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong all morning. What's the hold up! It made it out of the commie zone, there shouldn't be any riots in Hong Kong! I was a little worried yesterday when it was still in ZhengZhou, China. :snipersmile:

BTW, kinda funny how UPS titles my package. It's called "World Ease", I suppose to keep it from being jacked.

Product:
WORLD EASE
Shipped/Billed On:
09/24/2012
Type:
Package
Weight:
0.40 kg
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

IOS 6 has made the iPhone more vulnerable than I believe it's been in a long time (if ever). Apple should be hoping no strong competitors are coming soon. I believe I read maps was the most used app on the iPhone. When you misplace entire cities and shit, people aren't going to wait 10, 5 or even 1 year for you to get it right. I've also read there are problems with detecting location for getting the weather (via Siri). Not something I can say I've ever used or care about, but another point where Jobs would have had someone executed over this mess.

Personally Navigon is the only navigation app I'll use on the iPhone. And surprisingly, I've been finding other apps that will link me directly to it from their links. Get it and forget all others. For me I never used maps. It always seemed to have the worst problem with accuracy as far as keeping a gps signal or not hanging mid-route.

I can't imagine any of my devices will ever see IOS6.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I wish I hadn't updated my phone to ios 6, but I definitely won't be upgrading my iPad. I use youtube a ton on them both, and removing that app as a default really irritates me. There is a app in place for it already, but it's getting shitty reviews. It's bad enough that they already filter out a lot of videos specifically for ios devices, but this was really a dickpunch.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Siji wrote:IOS 6 has made the iPhone more vulnerable than I believe it's been in a long time (if ever). Apple should be hoping no strong competitors are coming soon. I believe I read maps was the most used app on the iPhone. When you misplace entire cities and shit, people aren't going to wait 10, 5 or even 1 year for you to get it right. I've also read there are problems with detecting location for getting the weather (via Siri). Not something I can say I've ever used or care about, but another point where Jobs would have had someone executed over this mess.
Few people will bail over this, they're largely true koolaide drinkers and caught up in the ecosystem.

The yabbering over app quality & availability is rubbish.

Folks at work are describing the new connector as a leap in technology & a favor to the use base. Ummm, yeah, that's it. Yet another dead end proprietary connector.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Siji wrote:IOS 6 has made the iPhone more vulnerable than I believe it's been in a long time (if ever). Apple should be hoping no strong competitors are coming soon. I believe I read maps was the most used app on the iPhone. When you misplace entire cities and shit, people aren't going to wait 10, 5 or even 1 year for you to get it right. I've also read there are problems with detecting location for getting the weather (via Siri). Not something I can say I've ever used or care about, but another point where Jobs would have had someone executed over this mess.
Few people will bail over this, they're largely true koolaide drinkers and caught up in the ecosystem.

The yabbering over app quality and availability is rubbish.

Folks at work are describing the new connector as a leap in technology and a gracious favor to the use base. Ummm, yeah, that's it. Yet another dead end proprietary connector.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wow energy cost for Galaxy SIII is insane compared to the iPhones!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

A slight step up from a pie chart, I suppose.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:A slight step up from a pie chart, I suppose.
If you go with an SIII you're going to be paying more than the cost of a stamp per year for energy. We're creeping into the cost of a coke territory! :)

I thought the chart was interesting. Amazingly low energy costs for recent cell phones and tablets. I wonder why they chose to use a Plasma TV instead of LCD for comparison. LCDs require less energy. I don't have the figures right now, but my recent backlit LED 46" TV is much cheaper than even my previous LCD TV...like under $20.00 a year. Think it was 17-18.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

When I was looking at TVs at the store, believe the delta between 42" LED backlit and not was like $4\year on the EPA stickers. $16\yr vs. $20\yr or close. Plasma vs. LCD didn't show a big difference either.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook

Apple’s CEO
a single tear rolls down my cheek!

It's nice to see a mega corporation take ownership of a problem and have the CEO acknolwedge the issue. =D>
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Well duh. Like they wanted to go through the antenna fiasco again!
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

If he really wanted to make it right, he'd remove that shit heap of an app and replace it with google maps as the default program again until either; 1) they have their shit together, or 2) never. Which ever takes longer.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Guy that sits beside me at work picked up an iphone5.
Battery life seems pretty poor.

Not even 3pm and he's down to less than 40% charge.
My lumia 900 is sitting at 75%

He had to buy an extra $20 cable so he could charge his phone at work.
Battery life on his iphone 4 was much better.

Anyone else noticing poor battery life on their iphone5?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Sounds like guy that sits next to you at work needs to get to work!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Again, what usually burns my ass about Apple is they care so little for their rabid customers that they continue to cornhole them with overpriced, non-standard cables and they refuse to take their ego down a notch to give the customers what they want.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So... Maybe people should stop buying their shit?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Aslanna wrote:So... Maybe people should stop buying their shit?
Sure, as soon as hipsters stop wearing skinny-jeans and buy normal-people vehicles.
en kærlighed småkager