Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Post by Winnow »

Liking my new iPad so far!

The new screen is outstanding but you do need high res material to take advantage of it (images, not text)

Luckily, I read comics which come scanned at higher resolutions most of the time (recently at least!).

Hard to describe the difference so I took some screenshots and cropped them to try and give an example of the difference.

Spoilered all the images and explanation below: nothing is NWS
[Show]

Above is a full res (width) screenshot from the iPad 2. Cropped to about 1/3 of the page

Same image blown up to 1536 pixels wide (same res as the new iPad)

For comparison, above is a full res screenshot from the new iPad. Much much clearer text. When you take these images and view them on an actual iPad screen, text and image clarity on the new iPad is so much easier to read.
so...

vs

The screen is really really nice but at the same time, the iPad 2's screen isn't horrible so you notice it when doing things that I like to do...like read comics and pdf magazines that are scanned at higher resolutions that the iPad 2 screen. You can actually read the small text on a magazine page in portrait without struggling to make out the words like you sometimes will with the iPad 2 (or any other pad)

As for the claimed improved (44%) color saturation, I noticed it right away while viewing the same pages of comics side by side in iPad2/new iPad. Who knows if it's 44% but you notice it so it matters.

If you have an iPad 2, you may decide not to upgrade. It's not the end of the world, but everything looks razor sharp on the new screen. Eventually, you're going to want that...the same as you'd enjoy better shocks on your car, or a quieter cabin during your drive. These aren't needs. They are wants, but they are clearly better and the quality of the screen is huge on a primarily consumption device.

For me, after getting the new iPad, I picked up my iPad 2 and thought I wouldn't have any issue if I had to use that...but then I switch back the the new iPad and there's no doubt which one you'd walk out the door with if you were told to pick.

I'm a huge fan of Zite, which is a new aggregator app on the iPad. I'm holding the iPad2/new iPad side by side and the retina display looks perfect...now I see the dots on the iPad 2 screen. It really does make the old screen appear fuzzy. I've got to admit though, Flipboard looks really good and runs smooth on the new Pad.

If you're happy with your iPad 2, wait until you're ready. If you're in the market for a tablet, don't even think of getting an iPad 2 (or any other tablet out there). The new screen blows everything away.

Not to mention it destroys the latest Tegra 3 chip in that fancy Transformer thing in graphics and its two cores match or best the tegra 3's 4 cores in processing power:

http://youtu.be/4jdbtiNnZzE?hd=1

Hmm, usually the anti Apple people can boast about how much more powerful their device is compared to the overpriced Apple item...hmmm, what now?

New iPad is already jailbroken (untethered) for those that might complain about not being able to do something in that scary "walled garden".

http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/new- ... -20120316/

Oh, I haven't really played around much on the new iPad yet but the speaker sounds the best yet (of the three iPad generations). Loud and clear. It's not meant for music but for watching Netflix, listening to a podcast, youtube, etc, it's solid. There's no "flashlight" bleeding on the new screen either. If there's a dead pixel, I wouldn't know.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

My wife got me the new iPad for my birthday. I went from a black 64GB wifi with a red cover to a white 64GB with a pastel blue cover. It's really nice so far, but I honestly could have waited until next year or longer to upgrade. It was a good impulse buy item for a birthday present though since it was not something I would have bought for myself! I already have a buyer for one of my Gen 1 iPads too, so that's nice! Meanwhile, my oldest daughter gets an iPad 2 upgrade from her gen 1.

The biggest surprise gift was from my sister in law was an AppleTV, which is even better than I expected it to be.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:My wife got me the new iPad for my birthday. I went from a black 64GB wifi with a red cover to a white 64GB with a pastel blue cover. It's really nice so far, but I honestly could have waited until next year or longer to upgrade. It was a good impulse buy item for a birthday present though since it was not something I would have bought for myself! I already have a buyer for one of my Gen 1 iPads too, so that's nice! Meanwhile, my oldest daughter gets an iPad 2 upgrade from her gen 1.

The biggest surprise gift was from my sister in law was an AppleTV, which is even better than I expected it to be.

You can now stream 1080P to the New Apple TV from your new iPad as well.

I played around with the new iPhoto app for for about 4.5 hours yesterday. I took a few hundred pictures from a recent trip and, after a small learning curve, was off to the races. Apple made it easy to learn with a little ? icon that will pop up descriptions of whatever icons are on the screen at the time, plus some pop up help screens. The first photo or two took awhile to work with but after that, I was cleaning up pictures quickly. This sort of app is excellent for a tablet.

For those that have the iPad 2, I don't think anyone will be blown away by the new iPad. While the screen is extremely important and is the obvious choice for new table buyers, most consumers look for move obvious changes like a design change to make them feel better about upgrading. Apple only has to top their own designs since really nothing out there competes. I personally love the new screen. It makes a monster difference what how I use the iPad.

Oh, surprisingly, the voice dictation is great. I've used that more than I though I would with all sorts of little things. Naming a new folder was easier to just say the folder name. So far, no errors with the dictation. Less need to type.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:You can now stream 1080P to the New Apple TV from your new iPad as well.
You can also mirror your iphone or ipad on the TV and both devices can be used as remote controls. My wife and I were looking around at houses last night and instead of showing each other what we were looking at on our ipad, we could just mirror it on the big screen TV. I stream from my PC but it is nice that wenever you want you can stream from any of your Apple devices immediately on the fly. Photostreaming is automatic, extremely fast, and easy to navigate. Hell, everything is automatic, extremely fast, and easy to navigate. The total time to get all devices going (4 ipads, 2 phones, and the TV itself) was less than 10 minutes out of the box and that includes the time it took to DL the app on each device. I am beyond impressed. If you own and enjoy an ipad/iphone, then AppleTV is a no brainer. It is the perfect companion to the other devices. It immediately became an integral part of my home entertainment system.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Apple sold 3 million new ipads in 3 days. I said dayum.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Apple sold 3 million new ipads in 3 days. I said dayum.

1st iPad: 80 days to reach 1 million
2nd iPad: 28 days to reach 1 million
3rd iPad: 3 days to reach 3 million.

Interesting to note that the ipad 4s only sold 4 million in the same time and a cell phone is considered by most to have more use than a tablet. 3 million is impressive when compared to that.

Peeps are probably sick of hearing about the new iPad's display but here are some highlights of an in depth testing of it, turns out it's close to reference quality and better than the monitor you're looking at right now:

Viewing Tests:

What makes the new iPad really shine is its very accurate colors and picture quality. It's most likely better and more accurate than any display you own (unless it's a calibrated professional display). In fact with some minor calibration tweaks the new iPad would qualify as a studio reference monitor.
Improved Color Saturation and Color Accuracy:

A major shortcoming of the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 is their reduced Color Gamut, they only have 61-64 percent of the sRGB-Rec.709 Standard Color Gamut needed for accurate color reproduction. That produces images with noticeably under saturated colors, particularly reds, blues and purples. This is due to efficiency issues from the Backlight LEDs. Apple claims "44 percent greater color saturation." Technically it's not clear what that means in this context, but the new iPad has a virtually perfect 99 percent of the Standard Color Gamut (a 38 percent improvement over the iPad 2). The colors are beautiful and accurate due to very good factory calibration – they are also "more vibrant" but not excessively so or gaudy like some existing OLED displays
Our lab tests and visual tests agree with Apple's claim that the new iPad has "the best display ever on a mobile device" so we have awarded the new iPad the Best Mobile Display Award in DisplayMate's Best Video Hardware Guide. But there's more…the new iPad's picture quality, color accuracy, and gray scale are not only much better than any other Tablet or Smartphone, it's also much better than most HDTVs, laptops, and monitors. In fact with some minor calibration tweaks the new iPad would qualify as a studio reference monitor.
Many New Professional Level Applications:

With this degree of picture quality and accuracy the iPad is now qualified for many interesting professional level applications. If you are a professional (or serious amateur) photographer the new iPad will show your photographs more accurately than any other display you have (unless it's a calibrated professional display). More importantly, for medical imaging – every MD should have one for both mobile and office use. It will also be great for anyone that needs to refer to detailed documents and manuals – like field service technicians (millions of them), warehouse workers, and pilots just to name a few. Tens of millions of sales people often need a portable device that displays very sharp and accurate color representations of their products and sales information. For this the new iPad beats every laptop, Tablet, and mobile projector I have seen.
images may red-x

So, besides the higher resolution, the new iPad's screen kicks major ass in general.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

For fuck sake, we get the point.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:For fuck sake, we get the point.
you still click on every thread?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You're not very tech savvy but the new info on just how good the screen is (not just the resolution) will appeal to some here.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
You're not very tech savvy but the new info on just how good the screen is (not just the resolution) will appeal to some here.
I'm not very tech savvy? :lol: and the info is fine, but you could have relayed that info in about 1/15 the words you did. The level to which you take your apple fanboy campaigns almost makes me embarrassed to own their products.

And boog, no, but after marking this read a dozen times I decided to check.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You could have used that time to do some research on organic foods!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Keep in mind, you'll be saving over 200 clams on the Asus... and the new Android OS has some nice improvements. When I was looking at tablets, all I wanted was a nice HD display for travel-movies, solid build and good performance. Even with the fantastic retina display on the apples, I am still happy with my choice. Just don't feel like I need all that crazy resolution for my simple needs.

Now, if I were a doctor and wanted to examine MRIs and CT Scans...iPad3 it is.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

iPhone apps have always ran on the iPad, though the experience has always left something to be desired. Even after the iPhone 4 made its 960 x 640 resolution standard, the iPad only ran apps in a small, 480 x 320 window — or pixel-doubled to fill the iPad's screen, which resulted in terribly blocky text and sub-par graphics. Fortunately, Apple has improved the experience of running iPhone-specific apps on the new iPad by enabling the iPad to use Retina-display resolution aspects. We just check it out and confirmed that iPhone apps now run at 960 x 640 in windowed mode and are pixel doubled to fill the screen.

While pixel-doubled apps will certainly look less smooth than apps designed for the new iPad's native resolution, it should be significantly clearer than pixel doubling on the older iPads. Touch Arcade has some great examples of the resolution improvement — pixel doubled iPhone apps on the new iPad look pretty similar to native apps on the previous iPads.
This bit if info is important as you now have eleventy billion more iPhone apps that look decent on the iPad. Anyone that has the 2X iPhone apps on their iPad 1/2's knows they don't look good so this is a nice change.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:
iPhone apps have always ran on the iPad, though the experience has always left something to be desired. Even after the iPhone 4 made its 960 x 640 resolution standard, the iPad only ran apps in a small, 480 x 320 window — or pixel-doubled to fill the iPad's screen, which resulted in terribly blocky text and sub-par graphics. Fortunately, Apple has improved the experience of running iPhone-specific apps on the new iPad by enabling the iPad to use Retina-display resolution aspects. We just check it out and confirmed that iPhone apps now run at 960 x 640 in windowed mode and are pixel doubled to fill the screen.

While pixel-doubled apps will certainly look less smooth than apps designed for the new iPad's native resolution, it should be significantly clearer than pixel doubling on the older iPads. Touch Arcade has some great examples of the resolution improvement — pixel doubled iPhone apps on the new iPad look pretty similar to native apps on the previous iPads.
This bit if info is important as you now have eleventy billion more iPhone apps that look decent on the iPad. Anyone that has the 2X iPhone apps on their iPad 1/2's knows they don't look good so this is a nice change.
Im getting one, the comics alone looks worth it. I always feel sad when ComicZeal 5 resize my pics to 1024 when i know they are 2200x1600 :(
Oh, and I got an Ipad1, so major upgrade.

Does ComicZeal 5 support the new display yet?
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hesten wrote:
Does ComicZeal 5 support the new display yet?

I'm not sure but have checked out the text on comics in Zeal and the quality difference is already apparent. I don't think there's been a retina update to the app though. .pdf's look great in GoodReader as well. Comixology App is already updated to Retina. I downloaded a few free comics and they look really good.

edit: Goodreader was just updated today for Retina display optimization.

Some recent mags I've read:

Some gaming mags:
[Show]

Classics:
[Show]

Film and TV:
[Show]

Interesting Science Magazines:
[Show]

I look for the high res scan versions when I can now.

Lots of places to download magazines.

A typical place:

http://www.darelease.com/magazines/

Mags get posted multiple times so you have to dig deep or check every day to get the latest.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

upgade people! your old iPad won't go to waste! (works for those 99 tablet jobs some of you bought as well!)
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Are they making an iCock Accessory for the iPad so you can give it a resolutionary blowjob?

Sent from my 99$ touchpad running ICS. O hai FREE Angry Birds Space..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote: Sent from my 99$ touchpad running ICS. O hai FREE Angry Birds Space..

Is that that best "perk" you can come up with?
A new study found that some popular smartphone apps may actually be energy suckers thanks to third-party advertisements.

The study , completed by Purdue University and Microsoft, looked at six popular apps including AngryBirds, Facebook and Android's browser. Using eprof, an energy profiler designed for smartphone apps, researchers discovered in some cases as much as 65-75 percent of energy in free apps was spent in advertisement modules.
He referred to Angry Birds, saying that only 20 percent of the energy consumption goes into playing the game while 45 percent is used to determine the players' locations so it can provide targeted advertising.
Looks like android is getting the juice sucked out of it. Nice that it's free though! Check your battery level!

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/scienc ... ne-battery
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

On phones, there the ads lookup location services constantly (wifi/GPS) and a constantly hammering the cell network, I can see that.
This is a tablet that uses wifi location(which is currently off). I easily get 8-10 hours of constant use.

How much money have you spent in iPads since June 2010?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:
How much money have you spent in iPads since June 2010?
Wouldn't that matter only if money is an issue?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Must be nice...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:Must be nice...

I don't buy the most expensive product just for the hell of it. I posted two in depth computer builds on this forum over the past 4-5 years that balanced price/performance for the best value.

As for a tablet, I wouldn't even consider anything without a high res display now that I've used one. But beyond that, I consider the iPad in general the best overall option for a tablet if you can afford it.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Looks like android is getting the juice sucked out of it. Nice that it's free though! Check your battery level!

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/scienc ... ne-battery
Wow, that's amazing, an app can use the location service that I never have on.

Oh wait, no it can't.

But I'm sure it can use lots of interwebs access with the internet turned off and/or DroidWall installed.

Or not.

Damn, fooled again :)
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

An iPad would make a terrible cutting board. Unless you don't give a shit about your knives!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The uprezzing of iphone apps on the new iPad is amazing. Seriously, it is just fantastic. It's frustrating that they didn't do something like that on previous ipads and it looks like they still have no intention of doing so.

The screen is great. However, it makes older apps look not as nice. There are even jaggies on many of the icons. I also am finding a severe lack of apps that take advantage of the new screen resolution. Being in HD and taking advantage of it are 2 separate things.

It does seem like Apple has done something to improve the sound of the device itself. It still pales in comparison to my Zen though, which boggles my mind.

I've been playing a lot of games on my iPad, which is a big change for me. The uprezzed .99 Shining Force is just so much fun on the iPad and it looks great! I also took the plunge on Final Fantasy Tactics for the iPad. My big winner was a free game called Zombie Gunship. Simple, fun, and hard to put down. Also, Angry Birds in Space gets a nod. I also have a chess app, a solitaire app, and just a huge variety of misc games. I am really excited about the Balder's Gate: Enhanced Edition coming out this summer. I mean, as much as I am any other game coming out for any system. That is an iPad gaming first for me.

The Xfinity, HBO Go, and Remote apps are all great. You can surf channels on your ipad/iphone, run your DVR, stream programs/movies/TV. Using the remote to find and stream a movie is a really fun experience. Very interactive and well thought out all around. Getting all of these apps at once on all of our iDevices has been a revelation.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

How does the iPad work with movies that you would normally need VLC to play? Like the majority of the movies I have. I know there is a vlc app out there for the iPad but I was wondering how well it works and what hoops you need to jump through to make it work.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:How does the iPad work with movies that you would normally need VLC to play? Like the majority of the movies I have. I know there is a vlc app out there for the iPad but I was wondering how well it works and what hoops you need to jump through to make it work.

It's pretty straight forward to use VLC type apps on the iPad but if you're within WiFi range or 3G, using Air Video is awesome. It streams any movie over wifi or 3G. Wifi works excellent, I don't use the 3g.

I highly recommend you use it. For me, downloading movies to my movie directory is all I need to do (no matter what format) and everything else is handled by Air Video for the live streaming. You don't need to convert your movies, it does that on the fly. If you really wanted to you could convert and save them but no need.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-vide ... 50020?mt=8

click ipad (top right above images) to see the ipad version of how it looks.

simple folder navigation through your movie director on your PC. (or TV episodes, etc)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

On the heels of reports that the new iPad reaches surface temperatures of 116 degrees during gameplay, some grew concerned that the third-generation iPad was at risk for overheating. No shortage of thermal tests proved that the new iPad does, indeed, run hotter than previous generations.

While that's a fact, here's another fact here... the new iPad can handle those temperatures just fine. And so can many other tablets. PCWorld has not only been monitoring the new iPad's temp, it's also bee monitoring how hot competing tablets like the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime and Samsung Galaxy 10.1 also get.

All performed within a few degrees of one another. And the new iPad was shown to run no more than 7 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the iPad 2. As a result, chalk up yet another case study where Heatgate has been disputed, disproved, and largely discredited.
Good to know.

The new iPad screen looks so nice. A good comparison would be if you lived back in the day before reading classes. You wouldn't miss glasses because you never experienced the clarity they provided but once you do, it's hard to go back to the blur/dots. It's probably closer to updating your prescription. It's not miraculous but you wouldn't purposely pick up your glasses with the old prescription if you didn't have to.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Ouch.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=20986

Prompted by reports of the iPad 3's Wi-Fi signal falling off, TabletPCReview has performed some tests to examine the situation.

The hardware involved in the tests were a brand new iPad, a first-generation iPad, an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 3GS for good measure. The access point is a Cisco WRT310N 802.11a/b/g/n single channel wireless access point. Tests were done using the mobile version of SpeedTest, an up/down test utility.

The tests were done over the space of my house, all on the same floor, at various distances with different numbers of walls in between. Tests were done on two servers, one in Los Angeles 32 miles from me, and one in Ft. Worth, Texas, 1,175 miles away.

After numerous tests, TabletPCReview found that the reports were in fact true. The new iPad's signal dropped faster and further than any other Apple device. In the chart below you can see that behind three walls the new iPad's download rate was measured at 0.02 megabits per second compared to 4.14 megabits per second for the iPhone 4S at the same location. The two devices use the same Broadcom BCM4330 chip.

http://www.iclarified.com/images/news/2 ... /75170.png
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sounds like bullshit to me. I've been streaming HD movies with no issues. In fact, some movies you can't see on your pixel challenged screens!

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/03/27 ... 4k-videos/

2048P vids.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Trust a report published by iClarified showing exactly how they did the report and also reported on by Gizmodo and several others and an actual admission from Apple or a statement by apple cock sucker extraordinaire Winnow.. Yeah, about that..

http://www.pcworld.com/article/193579/a ... fixes.html
http://gizmodo.com/5895145/does-the-new ... n-problems
Side by side with iPad 2, using speedtest, a government site and a Danish testing site, the wifi connectivity speeds of the new iPad were 1/10th to 1/2 of iPad 2, most often about 1/4 the speed. When you're adjacent to the router, speeds are fine. But as you move away, say, to the bedroom, like I did, my iPad 2 was blazing fast, and I had trouble getting a connection with the iPad 3.
I spent 90 min in the store. We compared the speed on the 3 and my 2. Wasn't a dramatic difference (because we were in the back of the store, closer to the router mothership!) But still there was a difference.
They did an exchange—but we all decided to test the new iPad 3.
We tested it, and still there was a difference - about 2/3 the strength. It wasn't that big.
Then the clerk suggested we try another machine to compare two 3's—and my 2.
When we went to the front of the store—at the entryway to the mall—I was vindicated! Because the signal was weaker—the the 2 was flying—getting 12 or 15—while the 3 was lagging at 3 or 4.
So the manager was called over. It was decided to swap it for yet another 3.
Tested it again and it was still the same problem.
But now everyone was aware that there is a problem with the 3.
Bottom line: I returned it, got my money back - and am back to the 2. It's not as sharp, but it's fast! So, I'll wait a month or so, and see if they manage to improve the wifi issue.
Hopefully it's not a hardware problem and it's something they can fix with a firmware update. After the iPhone 4 debacle maybe they'll just send everyone free tinfoil antennas to jam into the earphone jack to fix it. Or more likely, they'll blame it on water damage.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Well duh!

You are supposed to wear special Apple gloves when you handle a iPad3. You can find them at your local MAC store for $89.45.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Works fine!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

That's funny, because my network has practically gone dead for the last week while using Speedtest. Wireless or not, it tends to drop just over 3/4 of the way through the tests.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Boogahz wrote:That's funny, because my network has practically gone dead for the last week while using Speedtest. Wireless or not, it tends to drop just over 3/4 of the way through the tests.

I'll second this. Also, no problems on my wifi iPad 3 and I use it excessively.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I tend to agree.

Small-sample testing, such as detailed in the article, is just not conclusive--especially considering routers, ISPs, building construction disposition and preconceptions about the actual test results compared to past known i<device> issues.

Edit: I still would not rule out the possible need for a pair of iGloves.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I can't wait for the iGoggles! Other than having a comfy pillow, that's perfect!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

20% off Gift Cards at best buy for iTunes store:

http://modmyi.com/content/7423-best-buy ... cards.html

$15 iTunes Digital Gift Card Now $12
$25 iTunes Digital Gift Card Now $20
$50 iTunes Digital Gift Card Now $40
$100 iTunes Digital Gift Card Now $80

Not bad if you buy anything from iTunes including Music, Books, Apps, etc.

You don't need to buy many apps but there are some key ones that are well worth picking up.

Airvideo (excellent video streamer from PC server)
GoodReader (pdf reader)
iPhoto (photo editor)
Ambiance (excellent ambient sound App with 100's of free sounds to download)
Comic Zeal (best CBR/CBZ reader)
ImageBank (stream images from PC)
mSecure (nice password/account storage app)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Just went to buy a album off iTunes and they want you to add three security questions now. This wouldn't be an issue if I could create the ones I wanted, but they give you like 5 choices for each, many of which I wouldn't even know how to answer now, let alone years down the road.

This could put an end to me buying shit on iTunes.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Just went to buy a album off iTunes and they want you to add three security questions now. This wouldn't be an issue if I could create the ones I wanted, but they give you like 5 choices for each, many of which I wouldn't even know how to answer now, let alone years down the road.

You shouldn't be answering those questions with anything that makes sense. Come up with your own answer to those so people don't have a remote chance of guessing them.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Just went to buy a album off iTunes and they want you to add three security questions now. This wouldn't be an issue if I could create the ones I wanted, but they give you like 5 choices for each, many of which I wouldn't even know how to answer now, let alone years down the road.

You shouldn't be answering those questions with anything that makes sense. Come up with your own answer to those so people don't have a remote chance of guessing them.
Still, how am I going to remember that down the road? I have all my passwords written down somewhere and that's easy enough to keep track of, but if I have to start writing these fucking questions down too, I dunno.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Winnow wrote:

Still, how am I going to remember that down the road? I have all my passwords written down somewhere and that's easy enough to keep track of, but if I have to start writing these fucking questions down too, I dunno.

Just answer MY ASS or something like that to every question. That way you'll always know it's MY ASS if a stupid question is asked.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Not too big on that idea, but I tried anyway. The answers all have to be different. What a load of crap.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Just answer 1 word answers that form a phrase. Something like "These, Questions and Suck"
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

...or just answer the damned questions. If you have to answer extra questions that you don't really have an answer for, add them to your password list. It isn't like they're making you come up with three more passwords.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

pick a name, location, car type

use that for everything. if the question is remotely close to it, answer that....what do you like to eat? (that would be the car)

Where did you last take a dump? (location)

Who is your mom? (name)

stick to those for anything that asks things like this
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Apple Reportedly Earning 73% Global Mobile Profits with an 8.8% Unit Share

http://modmyi.com/content/7628-apple-re ... share.html

Damn that's impressive profit for owning such a small market share.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

It just means that people are willing to overpay for their hardware. it's not as if the customers get a cut of that check
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Chidoro wrote:It just means that people are willing to overpay for their hardware. it's not as if the customers get a cut of that check
If their product sucked, people wouldn't buy it. Marketing only takes you so far. I'd love for a competitor to offer something worthwhile so Apple would have to cut their margins. In the meantime, I'll pay the price.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Winnow wrote:I'd love for a competitor to offer something worthwhile so Apple would have to cut their margins.
Indeed. WTF blackberry?