Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Post by Winnow »

First off, Apple Sucks.

Second, I love my iPhone 3G. It's so useful. I find new apps/games that I enjoy on a steady basis and have a host of core apps I use every day.

The one thing I would like is for it to be is faster. The 3G is showing it's age, speedwise. I'm trying to hold out for the iPhone 4G and not get the 3GS. Love all the apps but switching between them is a little slow. Fortunately, the 3GS already has a nice speed boost but the "4G" should be even faster with the rumored chips. The 4G is also rumored to be getting a screen resolution boost to get it up to par with the more recent phones like the Nexus One.

There are a lot of rumored improvements to the 4G but I care mostly about speed. The rest are just a bonus.

The OS 4.0 for the iPhone (usable on 3G and 3GS as well) is also supposed to have some new UI features to clean up the clusterfuck of APPs and get them organized.

The most under appreciated feature of the iphone is the speaker. I use it all the time. If they improve it even slightly with the 4G i'll be happy. 64 GB will be nice but I really don't even use 16 GB atm although I have hardly any songs on my iPhone.

I keep an eye on the android phones. The Nexus One, besides the screen, doesn't impress me. It has raw power but the UI needs work. Eventually there will be an Android phone worthy of consideration compared to the iPhone. In the meantime, thankfully it should cause Apple (fags) to keep putting out better iPhones instead of stagnating due to lack of competition.

------------------

iSlate/iPad/iTablet

I'm getting it. I don't care what it does as long as it's under $1K and plays HD movies, I'm sold. That's all I want. Everything else is a bonus. I gave serious consideration to every Tablet PC that came out of CES this year. They all suck. It's clear that without having even seen the Apple Tablet, and not being a fanboi, that the Apple Tablet will be the best. The rest just aren't ready for prime time yet. The rumor is that Apple will use a modified iPhone OS for the Tablet and that's fine by me. I'm looking for a device that I can surf the web and watch movies on. Oh, it better have a way of playing divx/xvid and not be limited to Apple formats.

Apple PCs blow but they do rule the ultra portable market.

Apple is having an event on Jan 27th which should introduce the Tablet and probably announce the new OS 4.0 for the iPhone, if not the actual new iPhone.

Still a week away. I refuse to give Apple more than 2K a year.

Apple Products so far:

iPod Nano 2nd Gen
iPod Nano 3rd Gen
iTouch 16 GB
iPhone 16 GB
iMac 27"

I like to make sure a company sucks by trying out lots of their products! I could live without anything on that list except the iPhone. I use that all day long. The trading app is worth it alone. Again today, I made two trades walking out from work to my car at lunch. Did it all while in motion. The iPhone gets me all the info I want, right when I want it. Only thing I want is more speed (and a little more memory which the 3GS already has over the 3G) so I can do it faster. And by speed I mean processor speed which I know is coming (and already here with the 3 GS)
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Re: Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Post by Animalor »

LOL This whole post is a contradiction of itself.

Someone saying they will buy a product before it being announced and declaring it the best sight unseen is clearly a fanboy.

You can come out of the closet dude. It's cool with us that you love the cock aapl.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:LOL This whole post is a contradiction of itself.

Someone saying they will buy a product before it being announced and declaring it the best sight unseen is clearly a fanboy.

You can come out of the closet dude. It's cool with us that you love the cock aapl.
:lol:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

That post is fucking embarrasing... even by your standards, Winnow.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Self-hating Apple fanboi. It's kind of weird.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I bet Winnow is a cutter
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Screw you peoples!

*This messages was sent from Winnow's iPhone*

------

I'm mostly screwing around with my Apple posts although pretty dead serious when it comes to the iPhone.

As for the upcoming tablet, I'm basing my planned purchase off of the iPhone UI which I'm already familiar with and know it will satisfy my needs (which are pretty basic for the tablet). Of course, if it's underpowered or something else seems out of whack, I will reconsider.

If you want to view real Apple Fanbois, head over to Mac Rumors.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's one of the more useful articles speculating on the Tablet from Apple:
Apple Tablet: 10-Inch Display May Be a Myth
Tom Kaneshige

January 20, 2010 (CIO) Next week, Apple unveils a tablet about which rumors have been swirling for the past year. Unlike Microsoft's tablet, no images or specs have been leaked. What will it look like?

If you're the betting type, here are some more good odds: the tablet will be called an iSlate, have much more capability than simply an e-reader, boast a 10-inch touchscreen and sell for less than $1,000. That's all well and good-but at least one technologist isn't convinced.

Not about a 10-inch touchscreen, anyway.

Aaron Vronko, CEO of Rapid Repair, an iPod and iPhone repair shop, took a hard look at hardware options for a tablet that would impact system performance, battery design and power capacity. His key conclusion: An Apple tablet won't debut with a 10-inch touchscreen, which has been widely predicted.

It's going to take a lot of juice to light up a 10-inch touchscreen for extended periods, such as when you're reading a book, he says. And poor battery life has been the bane of the iPhone, so it's unlikely Apple will make the same mistake with a tablet.

Other technologists agree that a 10-inch touchscreen would be quite a feat. NextWindow product marketing manager Geoff Walker, who has been involved with mobile computing and touchscreen technology for two decades, says a 10-inch touchscreen costs four times as much as a 3.5-inch iPhone touchscreen, thus it would jack up an Apple tablet's price tag.

If anyone should know about the technical workings of Apple mobile devices, it's Vronko. He literally wrote the book on caring for your iPhone 3GS and even has tips on how to improve battery life. Vronko was one of the first technicians to take apart the iPhone 3GS and author a repair guide.

Vronko talked to CIO.com and offered his predictions on the iSlate.

Aaron Vronko, CEO of Rapid Repair, loves taking apart Apple iPhones.

What do you think the widely rumored Apple tablet will look like?

Vronko: I expect this tablet device will be the next major step in the convergence of mobile technology, combining cell-phone convenience and simplicity with computer-like productivity, multi-tasking and flexibility in usage.

While the iPhone has broad consumer appeal and made major progress toward serving all our mobile and computing needs, it still lacked much of the productivity and multi-tasking of even a MacBook Air. This was due to limitations of form factor, user interface methods and hardware performance.

The Apple tablet, maybe called iSlate, will probably mirror the attractive, simple and easy-to-use iPhone yet have dramatically upgraded hardware and system performance. Hopefully, the tablet will also have a better means of interacting with the device, like an innovative keyboard that's faster than current two-thumbed typing.

Even with a much larger display, the tablet will still be highly mobile-that is, you'll probably be able to hold it in one hand-while being productive as an e-reader or document and photo editor.

What kind of display screen will it have?

Vronko: There has been a steady stream of rumors from various sources indicating both a 7-inch and a 10-inch screen size. While the 10-inch is doubtful for the first half of this year due to insufficient availability or production of key components, a 7-inch could be ready by the rumored March or early second quarter ship dates.

A 7-inch tablet would have four times the screen area of an iPhone. A conventional mobile LCD display easily consumes more power than any other component of the device and would severely hamper battery life-maybe only five hours of video-given Apple's preferred design constraints.

How can Apple get around the battery life issues that have plagued the iPhone?

Vronko: Look for Apple to follow Microsoft, Samsung and HTC in using an AM OLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode) display in their 7-inch tablet because of its ability to reduce power consumption. This could extend the battery life anywhere from 40 percent to 75 percent, depending on your usage.

While the technology suffers in sunlight, it shines more brightly and vibrantly than an LCD indoors. With clever software programming that emphasizes dark colors over light ones for large areas, AM OLED could save even more power, perhaps giving 25 hours or more when used as an e-reader.

The other good option would be a new hybrid technology, which has been developed by Pixel Qi. The technology works by stacking e-Paper technology made famous by the Amazon Kindle onto a mostly conventional LCD screen.

This technology saves battery power by reflecting ambient light in two of its three display modes instead of making its own. You have a low-cost, bright and full-color LCD when you need it and a limited-color or high-contrast monochrome display that is smartly controlled by the application. All of which could allow e-reader functionality for maybe 30 hours!

What will power this tablet?

Vronko: Apple will have to beef up the hardware inside this tablet from what the last iPhone offered in order to provide the kind of multi-functional power people expect from a device in its rumored price range, $700 to $1000.

Thanks to its April, 2008 acquisition of startup processor designer PA Semi, I think Apple has the team and skill to do just that.

It has been long speculated and even hinted at by company representatives that the PA Semi team is working on a System-on-a-Chip (SoC) application processor to serve as the heart of future Apple mobile devices. Expect the SoC platform in a 7-inch tablet to include twin CPUs of ARM's latest high-speed and power saving design, the Cortex-A9.

The device will also need significantly improved graphics processing power to drive up to a million pixels in the display and still render 3D games and applications without problems. After recently buying a long-term design license with mobile GPU designer Imagination Technology, expect this to be the recently unveiled PowerVR SGX545 or possibly SGX540.

Altogether, the highly integrated application processor will likely feature seven to 10 different processor cores, including HD-video encoder/decoders for playing and recording content in 720p or higher. (720p refers to 720 pixels of vertical resolution, while the letter p stands for progressive scan.)

The dual CPUs, other upgraded cores and improved design could give the tablet two to three times more horsepower than last summer's iPhone 3GS, while keeping effective power consumption of the core system nearly unchanged. All of this contributes to longer battery life.

Do you foresee replaceable batteries?

The exterior look and form will attempt to marry the best elements of its extremely popular iPhone and Mac unibody designs. Expect Apple to help meet design goals by sticking with a non user-replaceable battery that's only about half the size of an average netbook power pack.

Battery times for most functions will be on par with the latest iPhone but improve dramatically for apps that make use of the new tech, such as an e-reader.

Tom Kaneshige is a senior writer for CIO.com in Silicon Valley. Send him an email at tkaneshige@cio.com. Or follow him on Twitter @kaneshige. Follow everything from CIO.com on Twitter @CIOonline.

Hmmm, I may have to question my Tech manhood if I blow a cash wad on a 7 inch tablet early and then a 10 incher is released a few months later. It would be hard to justify getting two of these things when you really don't even need one. A 7 incher may still be inconspicuous enough to have at work so maybe 7 for work, 10 for home and the upgraded 3.7 inch iphone 4G for the ride in between.

From the sound of it, it looks like this gizmo will have a nice CPU/GPU power combo.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

LOL

It's just a gigantic iphone.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Still cannot view Flash content? Jesus Christ.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

The only interesting thing will be if it has a sub $500 point, which I doubt. $399.99 would be the sweet spot just above a netbook and cheaper than a laptop.
- Ash
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'll say at least 1000-1200 starting. 1500 for the 64g model.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on January 27, 2010, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

$500 it is.

The device itself is not groundbreaking but thats a real nice price point.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

"So $499 for 16GB of iPad. That's our base model. 32GB is $599, 64GB is $799. 3G models cost an extra $130. $629, 729, and 829 with 3G."

Bah.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Looks like I'll be getting a 829$ model.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'll probably get a 3G enabled model just in case but don't plan on taking this with me to work...but you never know so good to be prepared.

Im undecided on amount of flash ram. My 16GB iPhone still has 4GB of space and that's with a few large Audiobooks on it.

I'll probably go the 64GB route. Looks like it plays HD video. Need to see if any way to get it to play dixv. Hack!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I was trying to figure out how you would type on a device like that.
My hands are fairly large and with those dimensions, my thumbs can barely hit the center of the keyboard if I were to use it like an iphone. Someone with smaller hands will either have to set it down or type with one hand.

I didn't notice any options for external storage (USB, SD, etc) or other peripherals, which is pretty inconvenient.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

yeah, Im not overly impressed with it. It's a large iPhone/Touch. I was hoping for a camera and some natal-like motion sensing, etc. At least it's cheap because it doesn't offer anything amazing besides size which is nice. What's the resolution? Anyone seen it posted?

In fact, I may take another look at the other tablets available if getting video on the iPad is too much of a pain for non Apple formats. It would have been nice if it had at least a USB port.

10 hours battery life seems nice if true.

I need to study it some when I get home.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

My inner nerd in me would like one of these for pen and paper RPGs. I'll probably see a bunch at GenCon.
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Meh. No Flash? Meh! I will wait for the 4G as well, as long as I can not accidentally Deep-6 my 3G. I am already down to one speaker.

And yes Winnow, you have more Apple products than most "living loud" Apple fans. You may want to re-evaluate your stance. ;) I saw an earlier post that went something like, "manhood, 7-inch, 10-inch, wad". Just sayin'! :D

I still maintain my "Fuck iTunes!!!" stance, however.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

If anything, it's going to be the de facto ebook reader.
Poor Kindle. :(
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Oh wait a sec... no multi-tasking?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I can't believe they didn't put in a front facing camera (skype) or multi-tasking.

Apple squandered some chances to really make this a device all it's own by adding in a few key laptop features you can't get on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

The only thing they got really right is the price for the wireless models. 499 is paletable.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I'm sure they'll figure out Flash.

But yeah, no multitasking is the suck.
- Ash
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Ashur wrote:I'm sure they'll figure out Flash.

But yeah, no multitasking is the suck.
Adobe has Flash ready for the iPhone. Has had it for the last few months. Apple though doesn't want it.

It was actually pretty glaring during the demo whenever the "Best browsing experience in the world" showed a lego block where a flash piece should've been.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

wont need flash (for many things) if html5 would catch on fast

I do sort of sympathize with Apple over Flash because Flash sucks so bad, even on PCs. I would be happy if it went away.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

- Ash
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I'm almost tempted to get one of these, but some of the things missing from it will probably keep me from doing so. SD card and USB support come only with the use of the iPad camera connection kits or, I think, the iPad dock. The fact that it lacks a built in SD card reader and USB is kind of lame. Also, the lack of multitasking and flash support is seriously weak. The multitasking issue may not be as big as I imagine it, depending on how these gadgets actually get used in the real world, but for the moment, I consider this a huge issue. The nicest thing about this that I've seen so far is the announcement of AT&T's data plans for this device: 15 bucks for 250MB of data or 30 bucks for unlimited. The way I read it, it is only prepaid/no contract, is that right? You can't get a "normal" plan for it?
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

After talking it over with the wife, a 32g wifi for the house is likely all we'll require. We may even wait for the inevitable price drop. There are some other slates on the horizon that look far more flexible than the ipad.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote:I'm almost tempted to get one of these, but some of the things missing from it will probably keep me from doing so. SD card and USB support come only with the use of the iPad camera connection kits or, I think, the iPad dock. The fact that it lacks a built in SD card reader and USB is kind of lame. Also, the lack of multitasking and flash support is seriously weak. The multitasking issue may not be as big as I imagine it, depending on how these gadgets actually get used in the real world, but for the moment, I consider this a huge issue. The nicest thing about this that I've seen so far is the announcement of AT&T's data plans for this device: 15 bucks for 250MB of data or 30 bucks for unlimited. The way I read it, it is only prepaid/no contract, is that right? You can't get a "normal" plan for it?
I agree with all of this. The only thing that may save the iPad is that I'm sure it will be hacked and that will allow multitasking. So lame. How does Apple not know that people would want to run Pandora music in the background while doing other things? Seems pretty obvious. I know they want to boast 10 hours battery life, but maybe they could just put in small print "with single app use"

The lack of DS/USB is annoying. My main use for this thing would be casual surfing and watching movies/TV shows. I don't want to hassle with formats.

So...come on GeoHot! Hack it! I'm sure it will be since it's the iphone OS. The power of the processor seems adequate based on initial reports.

Anyone see a release date for it? I'm either going to go all out 64GB 3G or minimal 16GB Wifi. I'm not seeing a reason yet to go beyond 16GB since i wont be storing more than a few episodes I take to the bedroom , or hopefully just streaming them.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Its looking more like I'll be going the 499 route. This is a first gen product and needs some work although it's worth it just for the ebook reader atm.

feels like real book page turning and look. nice.

Pros:

-fast (faster than the 3GS)
-ebook reader is very nice, blows he kindle away. (don't give me that e-ink bs)
-handles all the present iphone Apps
-1024x768 screen is decent enough for movies (although the 132 dpi is very low. my 27" mac screen is like 240dpi) so kinda lame on the pixel density side of things.

Cons:

-No flash
-no expansion (usb/SD)
-no multitasking

Hopes:

-it gets hacked because then the full power of the CPU will be used, including multitasking

-support somehow for dixv/xvid

I'll grab the 500.00 version and give it to my dad as an eBook reader when the 2nd generation comes out.

Time to research other tablets and netbooks for my movie needs. Very disappointed in lack of USB/SD storage option.

Odds of me buying a more expensive iPad model: 100% if the 499 is sold out

edit:

Im watching the keynote on Apple's website. Wow, it's bad. It seemed like no one was impressed with the inital unveiling of the Pad.

Steve Jobs keeps saying how amazing it is to do the most basic of web browsing. It's not. Anyone with an iPhone is already familiar with it, its just bigger. he like "wow, look how I can scroll around on this website. Amazing". you can hear crickets in the audience. It's like Steve Jobs never saw an iPhone. The audience is handpicked tech people. It's almost insulting.

What's funny is Jobs kept going to websites that had the flash placeholders in them...NYT and Times. You'd think they would have at least attempted to go to sites tht didn't show how awful it is to not have flash support.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

What's the placeholder: There was an annoying flash ad here, you're missing out on nothing.

I'd be more disappointed if it supported flash but there was no way to turn that horrible shit off.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:What's the placeholder: There was an annoying flash ad here, you're missing out on nothing.

I'd be more disappointed if it supported flash but there was no way to turn that horrible shit off.
That's what ad blocker is for. Gets rid of the ad crap and leaves the rest.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I think I will pass on the iPon.

It is a neat gadget, but has pretty much nothing for me in a practical sense.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

At the price point (and even if it was cheaper, tbh), I can't see why you would possibly want one of these, aside from wanting to get the newest trendy Apple device (admit it Winnow).
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's a pass from me as well. I'd rather spend that money on wine and sushi.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Aslanna wrote:It's a pass from me as well. I'd rather spend that money on wine and sushi.
^5

That is a good amount of kickass wine! Some single-block Pinot Noirs come to mind....yum!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:At the price point (and even if it was cheaper, tbh), I can't see why you would possibly want one of these, aside from wanting to get the newest trendy Apple device (admit it Winnow).

Well, as I said previously, all I want is a device for casual surfing and to be able to "easily" watch my movies and TV downloads. I think this thing would be ok for browsing but have my doubts about watching xvid, etc videos on it without hassle. I'm not a big ebook reader but it looks like it would function very well in that capacity as well.

It looks like Ill need to get another laptop as well as this Pad thing.

If you think about it though, this device is going to be a primary target for hackers due to it's great potential so I'll grab the cheapo 499, play around with it and hope for the usual jailbreak and some multitasking, etc.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I can see a lot of great uses for this in my life. The netbook I own is a tad sub-par. (8GB onboard SSD with shitty write speeds).

This would make a great web-browsing machine for the couch, looking up shit on gamefaqs/websites while gaming, a movie player for those long drives we make to east coast canada twice a year.

I'm just not sure if I would rather get this or buy a netbook with Linux (I really enjoy UNR and Jolicloud) with a much bigger HDD.

A front-facing camera would've made this much more desirable in my books.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

So the big question is what they'll identify and change before the iPad 2.0 :)
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

It will be a iPon 1.5S that will feature all the cool shit they left off, plus a front-facing camera and USB/SD Card support. The price will be ~$75 lower than the 1.0 version.

iPon 1.0 owners will get a better menu system and a slightly faster browsing speed, once the OS download mirrors clear from the initial rush...

:D
en kærlighed småkager
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

I dunno, I dont think id use it except as a giant Ipod touch... my netbook(thats not a netbook) does just about everything that does and costs $100 less..

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AS141 ... 598&sr=8-1
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

For me, a new gadget needs to displace one of the gadgets I already own. I'm kind of a minimalist in the gadget sense. Given that I already have a laptop and an iPhone, I don't see why I would buy this. I'm sure that it does some things better than either my laptop or my phone does, but unless it renders one of those devices unnecessary, I don't want it.

Maybe if I was a big ebook reader, I would consider replacing a Kindle with it somewhere down the road. But, thus far, I've been happy with paper.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sueven wrote:For me, a new gadget needs to displace one of the gadgets I already own. I'm kind of a minimalist in the gadget sense. Given that I already have a laptop and an iPhone, I don't see why I would buy this. I'm sure that it does some things better than either my laptop or my phone does, but unless it renders one of those devices unnecessary, I don't want it.

Maybe if I was a big ebook reader, I would consider replacing a Kindle with it somewhere down the road. But, thus far, I've been happy with paper.
Yeah, that. To me, I can't imagine not wanting to actually own books. I love reading, love the smell of a new book and just like to own every book I decide to read. Having a shelf full of books also makes for good conversation when you have company over, etc. I just can't ever see myself feeling differently. I can kinda see where I'd use a Kindle type thing (on airplane/vacation) but it wouldn't be frequent enough to justify the cost imo.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote:For me, a new gadget needs to displace one of the gadgets I already own. I'm kind of a minimalist in the gadget sense. Given that I already have a laptop and an iPhone, I don't see why I would buy this. I'm sure that it does some things better than either my laptop or my phone does, but unless it renders one of those devices unnecessary, I don't want it.

Im having a tough time with this as well. I have Powerful i7 Desktop PC, 27" iMac, and older Laptop and an iPhone.

-iPhone kicks ass. most amazing electronic device I've ever had.
-i7 PC/24" powers through anything I need done and I have my 46" Samsung LCD hooked up to it for gaming on a grand scale.
-27" iMac is good for watching movies/tv downloads while Im using the PC for other things. It's 2560 x 1440 screen is amazing.
-older laptop is weak but just barely good enough to play HD movies. It's 17" screen is still very nice looking.

The only hole I see in my PC arsenal is for surfing while laying in bed and while sitting on the can but I dont really want to surf that much while in the bathroom, that's just not my style...feel the need to wipe my ass asap...not sure how people hang around with dirty asses and surf. My Laptop sucks...any laptop sucks for bed browsing. It works marginally for movies and has USB so easy to grab movies off my server and play them directly on my Laptop but it's showing its age.

iphone is just too small for serious video viewing. It works when you're really on the go, traveling etc but no way you'd want to use it when at home for video. I wouldnt mind using some apps in the larger iPad. Games and some dense Apps would benefit as would my stock App. Suring on iPhone is also too small if you're at home.

Even Ransures $400 oversized Netbook looks nice and capable of HD playback. It just wouldn't have the surfing experience the iPad has. when you're lying in bed, in ultra lazy mode, a touch screen is ideal. I can't see taking the iPad somewhere. For example, waiting to get your haircut...iPhone works great for entertainment and when it's time for the cut, you put it in your pocket...not gonna happen with the iPad. gotta keep and eye on it all the time as opposed to your iphone safely away in your pocket.

iPad with USB/SD port and many video codec playback ability would be perfect for my needs.

I guess I'll get some sort of tweener ultra portable type lap/netbook for movies and the iPad so I can surf in bed while watching the movies on the laptop. I have a 40 inch HDTV in the bedroom but it doesn't get used. I could also use one if my Front HD projectors to watch movies in the bedroo on 10 foot scale by using Ransures little 400.00 Netbook with HD capable 1080p out but for some reason, when in bed, just don't feel that. I'll do that in the living room. A 10" to 17" screen right in my face seems the best when in bed. Looks huge anyway that close up on a nice display.

I also am highly hopeful that the iPhone 4.0 in June will have slightly higher resolution and slightly larger screen to compete with Nexus One, and of course, an even faster processor than the 3GS. I'll be getting whatever it is for the processing power and take any other upgrades as a bonus.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Funkmasterr wrote:

Yeah, that. To me, I can't imagine not wanting to actually own books. I love reading, love the smell of a new book and just like to own every book I decide to read. Having a shelf full of books also makes for good conversation when you have company over, etc. I just can't ever see myself feeling differently. I can kinda see where I'd use a Kindle type thing (on airplane/vacation) but it wouldn't be frequent enough to justify the cost imo.
Couldn't agree more! I don't think I could ever ditch my books!
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

As folks have said, I like physical books much more than e-books. That said, I read a lot of books on my Palm III with the peanut reader back when I was playing road warrior. It's pretty handy being able to take 7-8 novels along on a week or two road trip with multiple long flights.

A $250 netbook or cheapo laptop is far more appealing to me than an iPad and I haven't bought either of those yet.

The iPad is just far too limited, especially for the cost. I'm past cool gadgets for gadgets sake, functionality is #1.

Just come out of the closet Winnow! We won't laugh at your Apple fanboi status. Well not too much.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Canelek wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

Couldn't agree more! I don't think I could ever ditch my books!
I'm a book lover and I've run out of space in my bookcase, even stacking books on top of rows of books to force as much space as possible. I also find myself reading a couple books at the same time, and the Kindle is perfect for that. I can bring with me all of the books I want to read, and it never gets heavy or awkward to carry. Say what you will about e-ink, but I find it very nice to read; it really emulates print well.

I love my Kindle.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!