Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:So Microsoft is buying Nokia for $7.2 billion... Is that the only way they can get companies to keep making crappy Windows phones?

I like how they Trojan Horse'd Nokia though with Elop. Evil or genius. I'm not quite sure which!
They bought Nokia for the equivalent of one quarter profits. Seems like a lot but not really a big deal for Microsoft considering their market cap and earnings.

I recall Nokia employees not being happy about making windows phones. Hope the quality doesn't suffer!

Looking forward to finally seeing what Apple has coming up in the next few months on Sept 10th.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Given that Nokia sells 84% of all Windows Phone at this point and Samsung/HTC were the only other OEM's and half-assing it pretty hard, I'm not sure Microsoft had a choice.

Rumors are that Elop is actually a pretty strong contender for the CEO job at Microsoft as well. If this move can motivate Microsoft to work harder and Focus more on Windows Phone, then good.

The only big problem is I believe that Lumia devices may have been selling simply because they were Nokia devices without the users making the parallel with Microsoft or Windows Phone. (Similarly to a lot of Samsung Galaxy owners and Google/Android). Will having Microsoft Lumia or whatever else they decide to brand these things turn off consumers?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just posting a few things. iPhones still are the best phone on the market. Android can take their quad core cpus and shove them up their ass. Apple blows them away with a dual core chip. Even the "cheap" Iphone 5c beats every android out there except the LG G2...with the year old iPhone 5 not far behind.
Apple’s iPhone 5 touchscreen is 2.5 times faster than Android devices

Apple’s iPhone 5 is 2.5 times faster at responding to touches compared Google Android devices, according to a benchmark test by game and app streaming firm Agawi.

The results confirm what users believe about the devices, and they highlight a feature that is usually let out of technical comparisons.

In its first TouchMarks benchmark test, the iPhone 5 responded to touches at an average time of 55 milliseconds, compared to 85 milliseconds for the iPhone 4. The closest Android device was the Samsung Galaxy S4 at 114 milliseconds.

“Apple trounced the competition,” said Peter Relan, chairman of Agawi. “There is this whole other dimension of responsiveness that Agawi cares about.”

Agawi studied the iPhone 5 and compared it to Android touchscreen smartphones such as the Google MotoX, the HTC One, and the Samsung Galaxy S4. It also compared results for the Nokia Lumia 928 on Windows Phone, which came in at 117 milliseconds. The company started doing the tests as part of its work in delivering Flash-based Facebook games and other apps as interactive streams to iOS devices.

The TouchMarks benchmark measures the touchscreen latency, which is as important to users as display quality. Most competitive discussions focus on pixels per inch and quality of image. The TouchMarks benchmark measured the minimum app response time [MART] scores. The benchmark tests the lightest possible apps, measuring how immediately they respond on a given device.

“Even a two-year old iPhone 4 beat out the other Android devices,” Relan said. “You expect this from Apple’s design team, while others may view their responsiveness as good enough. Now we know why the Android touch keyboard is not as snappy.”

Agawi is making the benchmark and methodology available on its web site. Agawi’s AppGlimpse division plans to measure other phones in the future, including the upcoming iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C. It will also measure response times for games, tablets, and apps streamed from the cloud.

“App responsiveness is judged by how quickly the app can respond to your inputs,” said Rohan Relan, co-founder and CEO of Agawi. “Smartphones with touchscreens that have lower MART scores feel snappier. This is probably why, to many users, the iPhone keyboard feels more responsive than an Android phone keyboard.”
Apple rocks where it matters. You know, in the important areas; Top quality hardware. Fastest hardware. Most responsive hardware. Best app ecosystem.

Android always felt sticky to begin with. This article above explains some of the reason.
Apple's iOS 7 Adoption Rate Already Beats Out Latest Version of Android

Apple’s iOS 7 has been out for less than one day and seemingly already has an adoption rate of over 13% according to analytics firm, Mixpanel. When compared with Google’s latest version of Jellybean for Android devices, Apple’s updated mobile operating system trumps Android, which continues to hover around an 8.5% adoption rate after a whole month. As you can see from the chart, iOS 7 has been adopted by 13.45%. Mixpanel mentioned that the data is from over 1,420 businesses that hire them to track actions in mobile apps and websites, including versions of the iOS platform.
And then there's that. The new iPhones aren't even out until tomorrow and 13+% of the iOS user base has updated to iOS 7. Apple completely destroys Android in latest version adoption. Wouldn't touch Android with a ten foot pole if I was an app developer. The 99% piracy rate and fragmented user base blows ass.
The indie game that 144 Android users bought and 50,000 pirated

Victorian dueling game Gentlemen! was released in July for iOS and Android, with limited popularity but excellent reviews. Yann Seznec, director of studio Lucky Frame, says that over 50,000 people have downloaded his game on Android — far more than the 2,000 copies he hoped to sell overall. Unfortunately, only 144 of those people actually paid. Like many other mobile developers, Seznec is frustrated by his game's piracy rate.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

forgot the important part of the article.
Calling Gentlemen! the developer’s least profitable title yet, Seznec showed quite a lot of dignity and sympathy, commenting that the high piracy rate just showed that the team had made a game people want to play – especially as 95% of the piracy occurred in Russia and China.

“The main problem is that most of these pirates probably exist in a commercial ecosystem where the Google Play Store does not even exist. It doesn’t occur to them to buy any games from there at all,” he said

Winnow wrote:Image

Just posting a few things. iPhones still are the best phone on the market. Android can take their quad core cpus and shove them up their ass. Apple blows them away with a dual core chip. Even the "cheap" Iphone 5c beats every android out there except the LG G2...with the year old iPhone 5 not far behind.
Apple’s iPhone 5 touchscreen is 2.5 times faster than Android devices

Apple’s iPhone 5 is 2.5 times faster at responding to touches compared Google Android devices, according to a benchmark test by game and app streaming firm Agawi.

The results confirm what users believe about the devices, and they highlight a feature that is usually let out of technical comparisons.

In its first TouchMarks benchmark test, the iPhone 5 responded to touches at an average time of 55 milliseconds, compared to 85 milliseconds for the iPhone 4. The closest Android device was the Samsung Galaxy S4 at 114 milliseconds.

“Apple trounced the competition,” said Peter Relan, chairman of Agawi. “There is this whole other dimension of responsiveness that Agawi cares about.”

Agawi studied the iPhone 5 and compared it to Android touchscreen smartphones such as the Google MotoX, the HTC One, and the Samsung Galaxy S4. It also compared results for the Nokia Lumia 928 on Windows Phone, which came in at 117 milliseconds. The company started doing the tests as part of its work in delivering Flash-based Facebook games and other apps as interactive streams to iOS devices.

The TouchMarks benchmark measures the touchscreen latency, which is as important to users as display quality. Most competitive discussions focus on pixels per inch and quality of image. The TouchMarks benchmark measured the minimum app response time [MART] scores. The benchmark tests the lightest possible apps, measuring how immediately they respond on a given device.

“Even a two-year old iPhone 4 beat out the other Android devices,” Relan said. “You expect this from Apple’s design team, while others may view their responsiveness as good enough. Now we know why the Android touch keyboard is not as snappy.”

Agawi is making the benchmark and methodology available on its web site. Agawi’s AppGlimpse division plans to measure other phones in the future, including the upcoming iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C. It will also measure response times for games, tablets, and apps streamed from the cloud.

“App responsiveness is judged by how quickly the app can respond to your inputs,” said Rohan Relan, co-founder and CEO of Agawi. “Smartphones with touchscreens that have lower MART scores feel snappier. This is probably why, to many users, the iPhone keyboard feels more responsive than an Android phone keyboard.”
Apple rocks where it matters. You know, in the important areas; Top quality hardware. Fastest hardware. Most responsive hardware. Best app ecosystem.

Android always felt sticky to begin with. This article above explains some of the reason.
Apple's iOS 7 Adoption Rate Already Beats Out Latest Version of Android

Apple’s iOS 7 has been out for less than one day and seemingly already has an adoption rate of over 13% according to analytics firm, Mixpanel. When compared with Google’s latest version of Jellybean for Android devices, Apple’s updated mobile operating system trumps Android, which continues to hover around an 8.5% adoption rate after a whole month. As you can see from the chart, iOS 7 has been adopted by 13.45%. Mixpanel mentioned that the data is from over 1,420 businesses that hire them to track actions in mobile apps and websites, including versions of the iOS platform.
And then there's that. The new iPhones aren't even out until tomorrow and 13+% of the iOS user base has updated to iOS 7. Apple completely destroys Android in latest version adoption. Wouldn't touch Android with a ten foot pole if I was an app developer. The 99% piracy rate and fragmented user base blows ass.
The indie game that 144 Android users bought and 50,000 pirated

Victorian dueling game Gentlemen! was released in July for iOS and Android, with limited popularity but excellent reviews. Yann Seznec, director of studio Lucky Frame, says that over 50,000 people have downloaded his game on Android — far more than the 2,000 copies he hoped to sell overall. Unfortunately, only 144 of those people actually paid. Like many other mobile developers, Seznec is frustrated by his game's piracy rate.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:And then there's that. The new iPhones aren't even out until tomorrow and 13+% of the iOS user base has updated to iOS 7. Apple completely destroys Android in latest version adoption. Wouldn't touch Android with a ten foot pole if I was an app developer. The 99% piracy rate and fragmented user base blows ass.
And you're once again comparing oranges to orangutans.

What about all those leper iPhone 3 users that can't run ios7 and iPhone4 users who it's hobbled for? Line up at the teat peasants, get with the program of profit and buy a new device! Not to mention the iPads that can't run it either.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Aabidano wrote:
Winnow wrote:And then there's that. The new iPhones aren't even out until tomorrow and 13+% of the iOS user base has updated to iOS 7. Apple completely destroys Android in latest version adoption. Wouldn't touch Android with a ten foot pole if I was an app developer. The 99% piracy rate and fragmented user base blows ass.

What about all those leper iPhone 3 users that can't run ios7 and iPhone4 users who it's hobbled for? Line up at the teat peasants, get with the program of profit and buy a new device! Not to mention the iPads that can't run it either.
Oh it runs just fine on my 4G. As far as the 3G, the phone is 5 years old. Does anyone still have a 5 yr old cell phone, regardless of the name brand?

Also, ios7 runs fine on our ipads (2x2 and 1x3).
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Considering I can't seem to get anything to slow my phone (HTC One) down, even when I've tried, I'd like to see what 2.5 times faster than immediate looks like in action.

Meanwhile, for the last 3 months my iPhone 4 has been slowing way down and locking up for minutes at a time constantly. I don't even want to know what it would be like with the new ios on it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:
There's just as many losers (or more) using ancient Android phones that can't upgrade to butterbean as well. You don't have a point.

My point is that there were already 13% the first DAY that had updated to iOS7 before the new iPhones were even released. That's an incentive to stick with Apple because they are reliable and support their phones. The cycle for phones is 2 years whether it's Android, Windows or iOS due to the typical contract signed with U.S. carriers.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Aabidano wrote:

Oh it runs just fine on my 4G. As far as the 3G, the phone is 5 years old. Does anyone still have a 5 yr old cell phone, regardless of the name brand?

Also, ios7 runs fine on our ipads (2x2 and 1x3).
My cell phone is 4 years old. Samsung, only brand I ever buy!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

iPhones (and iPads) are extremely solid products. People like to bash the leader but in the case of Apple's iPhone, it's worth what you pay (same as any other high end Android phone). The build quality is top notch, the actual performance is top rate, stupendous OS support, rock solid and profitable App ecosystem for developers.

Enjoy your Androids but bashing iPhones is unfounded. Apple hasn't slipped yet with phones and they absolutely crush the competition in the tablet market.

The only thing I'd bash Apple on is accessories. 39.00 for a phone case is retarded expensive. Of course, there are assloads of third party accessories for Apple products so not that big a deal.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Tyek wrote:forgot the important part of the article.
A lot of selective quoting is a part of any Winnow post!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Does anyone still have a 5 yr old cell phone, regardless of the name brand?
Two LGs and a Moto, thank you :) That I can swap batteries in without tools or voiding a warranty. It's just a phone, not a lifestyle or prestige statement. My epeen is just fine with an old phone. (though I am using a Nexus4 now after a carrier change to GSM)

To Winnows' continuing pointless versionitis point - I also don't care that I couldn't put a 2012 motor in my 1992 truck. My 4+ year old Android phone running 2.3.3 works fantastic as-is. No security holes for non-stupid people either. I'm not at all concerned I can't run 4.2 on it.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Winnow wrote:
Aabidano wrote:
There's just as many losers (or more) using ancient Android phones that can't upgrade to butterbean as well. You don't have a point.

My point is that there were already 13% the first DAY that had updated to iOS7 before the new iPhones were even released. That's an incentive to stick with Apple because they are reliable and support their phones. The cycle for phones is 2 years whether it's Android, Windows or iOS due to the typical contract signed with U.S. carriers.
you're supposed to be a grown adult. enjoy your dinky screen with 1/4th the number of pixels. noone cares
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Chidoro wrote:
you're supposed to be a grown adult. enjoy your dinky screen with 1/4th the number of pixels. noone cares
I like the smaller screen and it being feather light...combined with outstanding build quality, stupendous performance and response times and best App ecosystem.

I thank Apple every day for saving me from myself by only offering the more practical 4" screen.

Thank you Steve!

Chidoro, you should know from playing EVE that bigger isn't always better. Who wants a Titan?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

240p should be good enough for anyone?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:240p should be good enough for anyone?
Yes it is. My iPhone 5 screen looks fantastic and I've heard zero complaints about lack of dpi on the iPhone. Try again!

Which leads to you people stuck on numbers (hint: PS4)
iPhone A7 Chip Benchmarks: Forget the Specs, It Blows Everything Away

We just ran benchmarks on Apple's new iPhone 5S, revealing that, yup, this is the dopest smartphone silicon ever made. This thing freaking churns, crushing every other smartphone out there on both computational power and graphics. But if you look at common specs like core-count and clock speed for the hardware, you'd never know it.

By now, it's no mystery that specs aren't the whole story. Intuitively, we know that the quality of a smartphone is just as reliant on its industrial design and the quality of the software it runs. But it goes deeper than that: the traditional "specs" distract us from what a gadget's guts actually do, and from a technological point of view, they distract us from the advancements that are actually making a product better.

Apple's iPhone design is a masterpiece, and iOS 7 shows that Apple's got a mastery of operating systems as well, more or less. What's not as well-known is that Apple's a leader on guts as well. Here's a look at what the guts can do and how Apple beat the pack.

The benchmarks for Apple's new iPhone 5S are absurd. After running Geekbench 3.0 on the hardware, we got scores that match up with the numbers reported by others, like those in AnandTech's unbelievably thorough survey of key performance tests. Geekbench's score is a nice measurement because its built from a combination of measurements of computational speed across a variety of real-world processes like JPG compression and decompression. The combined score for the iPhone 5S beats everything else you'd consider buying and even Samsung's insane international version of the Galaxy S4.

The impressive results confirm many of the improvements Apple claimed in its early September keynote.

We ran the iPhone 5S's GPU through the commonly used GFXBench software, using its most-intense on-screen gaming test and compared it to the publicly available leaderboards for existing flagships out there. The chart above the average frame rates the graphics processor of each phone. A faster rates in this test would translate to smoother graphics on the most system-taxing games out there.

And the iPhone's graphics performance is spectacular: 37-frames per second, more than twice the iPhone 5's 14 fps. It'a also significantly than the next-best US smartphone, the Motorola Moto X, which clocks in at 25 fps. In short, the iPhone 5S's graphics powers are ready for the craziest games that'll be coming out in the years to come.

These aren't the only benchmarks out there, but they're reflective of what nearly all tests are finding: The iPhone 5S has the best measured performance of any phone.

Now, if you compare this performance to the specs—unofficially, but dug up by Geekbench —you'll be surprised. The A7's dual-core ARM processor is clocked at 1.3 GHz. Only 1 GB of RAM. Consider that most of Apple's competitors are running quad-core Snapdragon 600 processors, many of them, like the HTC One, clocked at up to 1.7 GHz. All of them pack 2 GB of RAM. What gives?

Here, we check back in with AnandTech, where Anand Shimpi drops knowledge. Turns out the specs we're getting fed by manufacturers are a bunch of bull—or at least only tell a small fragment of the story. "I always thought the transition from 2 to 4 cores happened quicker in mobile than I had expected," he begins, continuing later:
In such a thermally constrained environment, going quad-core only makes sense if you can properly power gate/turbo up when some cores are idle. I have yet to see any mobile SoC vendor (with the exception of Intel with Bay Trail) do this properly, so until we hit that point the optimal target is likely two cores.
In other words, the technology to efficiently power quad-core architecture in a smartphone while also taking advantage of extra cores doesn't exist yet. So all that theoretical power is coming at waaaaaay too high a battery cost, or it would it anyone was crazy enough to try for it. And the muscle that is being used now is not as efficient as it should be.

Apple's an early-adopter—of silicon design

So how is Apple getting much better performance than everyone else? With the iPhone 5's A6, Apple turned to custom-designed chips with custom-designed cores based on ARM designs to improve results. With the A7, Apple continues this trend by adopting industry-leading technology.

So let's turn to one spec Apple did announce on stage: The new 64-bit CPU, which replaces the 32-bit predecessor. This is the key, but not in the way you might think it is. As Anand and others point out, 64-bit transition doesn't really start making a difference until Apple starts building phones with more than 4GB of RAM, which based on current trends, won't happen for years.

The reason Apple's 64-bit future-proofing matters today is that it requires Apple to adopt an entirely new underlying processor architecture. A7's CPU ditches the 20-year-old foundation of the ARMv7 "instruction set" (ISA) , and goes with the ARMv8 design, which was released in 2011 and represents an entirely new system. As John Gruber notes, twenty years in the history of computing is an eternity. He points to a passage from the white paper describing ARMv8:
Of course, for compatibility reasons, we still support the entire ARMv7 machine in the new ARMv8 architecture, but when running 64-bit software, this part of the machine is not being used, and the area of complex legacy it had built up does not need to be active when running in the 64-bit ISA, unlike other architectures where 64-bit extension was simply added to the historical complexity and legacy of their 32-bit mode. The new ISA drew upon the years of experience of building different micro architecture implementations, so again it was defined so that these new processors can be more easily optimized for low power operation — an opportunity not really offered since the first ARMv4 machine that resulted in the now legendary low power ARM7 processors.
According to Gruber's frequently reliable sources, switching to ARMv8 is responsible for a 15-20-percent improvement in performance while simultaneously improving battery life.

Apple is the first to implement ARMv8, and it makes total sense that this newer technology is producing better results than the older technology. But you won't see that show up on most spec sheets. Without going down another rabbit hole, it shouldn't surprise you to learn that the new supercharged GPU owes its impressive performance to a GPU no one else has used yet.

Sometimes people like to harp on Apple for stagnating, but the company's progress under the hood show that it's just not true. For all the huge specs (and huge screens) Apple's competitors like to throw around, Apple remains a year ahead on the only metric that really matters: How well the phone actually performs.
http://gizmodo.com/iphone-a7-chip-bench ... 1350717023

You're welcome for that info dump. Summary: Apple > Competition

It cracks me up to hear the Android people spout off about their quad core OC'd super Snapfaggon chips. Apple puts out a battery saving 1.3 Ghz chip that kicks the everloving shit out of that crap tech Androids are using. Sooo...slower phones at higher battery sucking clock speeds...2.5 X less responsive touch screens than an iPhone...not even close on graphics performance...oh yeah...those gaggle of Android phones rock.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just to shut anyone up before they whine about other phones have higher res screens. Apple's A7 chip would destroy them at any resolution which bodes well for the next round of tablet wars.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Does anyone still have a 5 yr old cell phone, regardless of the name brand?
Yes, a BlackBerry Curve, though I plan on upgrading to a 5c (or -s) as early as tomorrow.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:Yes it is. My iPhone 5 screen looks fantastic and I've heard zero complaints about lack of dpi on the iPhone. Try again!
Wasn't trying, I don't even know what the resolution of my phone is. It's just a device I drag out and use for stuff, not an object of veneration.

Do you have an Apple shrine in the corner of your living you where you burn money in homage to the great Jobs?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Aabidano wrote:
Two LGs and a Moto, thank you :) That I can swap batteries in without tools or voiding a warranty. It's just a phone, not a lifestyle or prestige statement. My epeen is just fine with an old phone. (though I am using a Nexus4 now after a carrier change to GSM)

Well, it wasn't an epeen question. Phone tech is advancing leaps and bounds every year. Having an old phone is fine if you don't want any of the advancements made over time, from battery life to speed. I think every 2 years is a good upgrade strategy, but 3 years might be doable. I couldn't even imagine still having to use my 3G right now. I think it's pretty amazing how fast phone tech is moving.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Well, it wasn't an epeen question.
Just being a jerk :D

The wife still gets a week plus active use out of her venerable Moto flip phone.

If you use the new features, cool.

Though keep in mind no one in the US actually has 4G, including those on LTE. The vendors paid to reduce the 4g spec. Call it 3.3g maybe, that's being generous. It's mostly marketing crap. You get 1/3 the speed and none of the other features, including QoS which makes it useful for things other than cats on youtube.

Actual 4g - would have required LTE Advanced, which does not exist in the US and is more expensive to deploy than "plain" LTE. Basically one step past where we're just getting to now and the sales weasels couldn't wait another year or two to increment their "g".
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:
Winnow wrote:Yes it is. My iPhone 5 screen looks fantastic and I've heard zero complaints about lack of dpi on the iPhone. Try again!
Wasn't trying, I don't even know what the resolution of my phone is. It's just a device I drag out and use for stuff, not an object of veneration.

Do you have an Apple shrine in the corner of your living you where you burn money in homage to the great Jobs?
Nope, I just pay the same as most people to upgrade my phone every two years but choose the best platform with the best hardware, performance and apps.

Seems plenty of people have my same opinion about the 4" screen not being a concern as the 5s is selling like mad, just like every other iPhone release. All of those iPhone 5s/5c buyers have the opportunity to switch to an X inch megascreen phone if they wanted to as their contracts are done.

Only reason I'd switch to a larger screen is because I'm at the age where presbyopia is a factor. Funny how Apple is associated with "older" people in commercials from android/windows and yet they still buy the smaller screen.

So factors in my decision:

- high quality hardware
- excellent performance
- best app eco system (being closed means jack shit and it a positive considering Android's virus/piracy /developer/OS update issues)
- excellent camera
- "just works" because seriously, I do not want to fuck around with a portable device like I hack around for fun with consoles and PCs

I don't see a better option than iPhone out there.

---
The streams crossed: Mixpanel shows iOS 7 adoption rate now surpasses iOS 6

There you have it: Mixpanel's data is showing that the number of iOS devices running iOS 7 just surpassed the number running iOS 6 after only three days. What do we have to say to the Android world at this juncture in history?

The rapid adoption of iOS 7 vividly demonstrates the advantages of having a "closed" ecosystem in which the hardware manufacturer also controls the operating system. Not only are Apple's devices uncluttered with bloatware from carriers and manufacturers, but everyone in the ecosystem can get an update at pretty much the same time.
That took a whole 3 days while Android may never have a latest version ever be the #1 version, ever, much less as absurdly fast as three days.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Winnow wrote:
Chidoro wrote:
I like the smaller screen and it being feather light...combined with outstanding build quality, stupendous performance and response times and best App ecosystem.

I thank Apple every day for saving me from myself by only offering the more practical 4" screen.

Thank you Steve!

Chidoro, you should know from playing EVE that bigger isn't always better. Who wants a Titan?
Steve's corpse had nothing to do with the 4 in screen.
Web site viewing and app using, 4 inch sucks comparatively speaking.
Sucks
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Some info on the iPhone 5s camera

http://www.geek.com/apple/how-good-is-t ... a-1571522/

Looks like it's a good one. It always has been but they made some nice improvements.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It's not the best camera out there. You wouldn't settle for second-rate PC parts, so why do you stick with Apple phones even to this day?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:It's not the best camera out there. You wouldn't settle for second-rate PC parts, so why do you stick with Apple phones even to this day?

Primary function is as a phone and apps specific to personal needs. So the phone with the best camera is the best phone? I'd hate to see your logic in purchasing other products. It has a very solid camera, Better than almost any other, on top of being the best all around phone.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Camera is literally all that matters.

That and screen size.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:Camera is literally all that matters.

That and screen size.
So I assume you have that 42 MP camera phone, otherwise, enjoy the iPhone 5s.

iOS 7 shines as Apple bests Android, Windows Phone in 'user experience shootout'

Following the public release of iOS 7, Apple's newest operating system is thrown into the fire against its strongest competitors in a battery of user experience tests, and coming out on top against Samsung's customized Android build and Microsoft's Windows Phone.

The study, conducted by technology consultants Pfeiffer Consulting, was designed to gather and compare quantitative user experience data from users of Apple's iOS 6 and newly released iOS 7, Microsoft's Windows Phone 8, Samsung's variant of Android, and BlackBerry's Blackberry 10.

According to Pfeiffer, the test methodology attempts to eliminate as many subjective variables — like brand loyalty or perception — as possible, looking only at objective "aspects that have a direct impact on the day-to-day user experience of an average, non-technical user." Pfeiffer hones in on four key points: the operating system's cognitive load, efficiency and integration, options for customization, and user experience friction.

Cognitive load is a psychological concept that refers, generally, to the number of distinct pieces of information a person must remember and process at once — for example, a typical 7-digit U.S. telephone number has a cognitive load of 7. To calculate each operating system's cognitive load, Pfeiffer's researchers counted the number of pre-installed applications and user interaction elements in a factory operating system installation.

Apple's entries dominated the user experience friction (UXF) mark, which Pfeiffer explains "occurs whenever a device does not do what you expect it to do - or lacks a key feature that should be available."
Shocker!
Gazelle saw 210% more Samsung trade-ins during iPhone 5s launch weekend

Apple experienced a record sales weekend for the launch of the iPhone 5s and 5c, so this news probably isn't surprising.
This is unbelievable...the Samsung phones have a bigger screen...and yet...user satisfaction, user retention, user experience (along with a bucketload of other things)...all favor the micro sized 4" iPhone...AMAZING! This is a fucking miracle! OMG! I can't believe it....because Samsung and just about every Android phone on the planet has a bigger screen....how can this be!?!...once people see that fucking amazing gargantuan screen, why would they possibly go back to Apple? Holy shit! Oh wait, we all know why...it's because of some mysterious cult like brainwashing...yeah, that's it! Let the excuses pour in. They're always entertaining. (don't forget to mention the walled garden in your responses!)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Use the phone you want to use.

Shocker!

I wonder why you spend so much trying trying to 'prove' whatever you use is the best ever and everyone else who doesn't agree is stupid. It just gives the impression of an insecure individual.

Signed,
A non-cellphone owner

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I blame television.

*Edit - not an entirely facetious response. Prior to TV, the de-community-ization of our society, etc... Winnow just would've been a zealot of some other sort. People need idols even if they aren't willing to call them that.

Maybe a fervent supporter of Olaf's' 6 nail horseshoes over those made by that filthy infidel down the street, Ivan who makes them with 7 holes.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What's up with Samsung offering a Gold phone now? Copycats!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Aslanna wrote:Use the phone you want to use.

Shocker!

I wonder why you spend so much trying trying to 'prove' whatever you use is the best ever and everyone else who doesn't agree is stupid. It just gives the impression of an insecure individual.

Signed,
A non-cellphone owner
It's not surprising though. Keep trying to prove his choices are best for everyone.
stupid iphone didn't even catch up to android's current bests and now it has to sit on that little thing for an entire year. all the while, trying to convice everyone his -not the best- phone is somehow the best
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Chidoro wrote:[
It's not surprising though. Keep trying to prove his choices are best for everyone.
stupid iphone didn't even catch up to android's current bests and now it has to sit on that little thing for an entire year. all the while, trying to convice everyone his -not the best- phone is somehow the best
What's better on the Android besides screen size which is also debatable?

Lets check off the the easy ones that favor Apple:

1. Hardware (only HTC One even comes remotely close in build quality)
2. Performance (fastest phone on the market)
3. UI (see above, blows Android out of the water for day to day usability)
4. Touch Screen (primary interface is 2.5Xs more responsive than Android Phone)
5. Camera (unless everyone that owns an Android has the 42mb camera
6. App eco system (better for end user and developers)

So, my summary for iPhones as they benefit the end user:

Fastest Phone, Highest quality build, Best Apps, One of top rated cameras on any phone, Unbelievably good customer service if the best in class hardware does have an issue.

Not trying to convince anyone but I do laugh when people say stupid things about Apple's iphone and iPad products. Yesterday I was reading quite a few posta about dumbasses saying Androids had better processor because of quad core and higher clock...they weren't bothered to look at the actual benchmarks that show the A7 chip crushes those high energy/clocked chips.

Start your Android list of things that best apple:

GO!

Regarding cell phones. I don't really care what people use. Who gives a shit if you use an Android or Windows 8. I mostly responding to those that somehow thing iPhones suck but their reasoning behind it is always vague or easily countered.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

iPhones suck.

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:iPhones suck.
What were some of the reason that you didn't like your iPhone?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Winnow wrote:
Chidoro wrote:[
What's better on the Android besides screen size which is also debatable?

Lets check off the the easy ones that favor Apple:

1. Hardware (only HTC One even comes remotely close in build quality)
2. Performance (fastest phone on the market)
3. UI (see above, blows Android out of the water for day to day usability)
4. Touch Screen (primary interface is 2.5Xs more responsive than Android Phone)
5. Camera (unless everyone that owns an Android has the 42mb camera
6. App eco system (better for end user and developers)

So, my summary for iPhones as they benefit the end user:

Fastest Phone, Highest quality build, Best Apps, One of top rated cameras on any phone, Unbelievably good customer service if the best in class hardware does have an issue.

Not trying to convince anyone but I do laugh when people say stupid things about Apple's iphone and iPad products. Yesterday I was reading quite a few posta about dumbasses saying Androids had better processor because of quad core and higher clock...they weren't bothered to look at the actual benchmarks that show the A7 chip crushes those high energy/clocked chips.

Start your Android list of things that best apple:

GO!

Regarding cell phones. I don't really care what people use. Who gives a shit if you use an Android or Windows 8. I mostly responding to those that somehow thing iPhones suck but their reasoning behind it is always vague or easily countered.
Nope!
the iphone is simply not the best, deal with it my time wasting friend
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

OMG that OVERPOWAHING Os7 is causing feelings of vertigo/sea sickness!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Don't forget...Samsung makes the A7 SoC. So...yeah...next phone from them will be faster, and apple will sue them.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Spang wrote:
The controls are badly designed. I get crab hands after like 30 seconds of holding it. If only it was more like a Dualshock.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Spang wrote:
The controls are badly designed. I get crab hands after like 30 seconds of holding it. If only it was more like a Dualshock.
+1
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Aslanna wrote:
Spang wrote:

Haha!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Samsung again caught rigging benchmark scores on Galaxy Note 3

Not long after the release of the Galaxy S4 earlier this year, Samsung found itself accused of artificially (and secretly) boosting benchmark scores on its flagship phone to ensure it would outperform the competition. Samsung outright denied that it had intentionally done so, but now the scenario is repeating itself with the release of the Galaxy Note 3. Ars Technica noticed the odd behavior while reviewing the device, and the details closely mirror those of the original controversy.

When running popular benchmark apps, Samsung's latest phone quietly enables a special high-speed mode, leading to scores that blow away similarly specced devices. The LG G2 features an identical 2.3GHz Snapdragon 800 processor to that inside the Note 3, for example, yet it pales in comparison during benchmark runs. Ars Technica's research shows that the Note 3 makes a very real distinction between benchmark apps and regular software. Upon detecting the former, it kicks into a consistent 2.3GHz mode — the phone's highest possible CPU speed — that lets it achieve abnormally high scores.
Gotta do what you gotta do. Sucks when a CPU with two less cores and lower clock blows you away. Maybe an 8 core 4GHz chip is needed to match the latest dual core 1.3GHz A7 in the iPhone 5s.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Benchmarks are designed to show what hardware is capable of and these show just that. The only way you can benchmark day to day us is actually using the device.

Downclocking an insane CPU to save battery life sounds like a sound design decision to me. Removing the downclocking for certain apps is a bit suspect. Do we know if Samsung only does this for benchmarking?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Speaking of "rigged" benchmarks..
In an odd turn of events, Windows 8 has been banned from HWBot, one of the world’s top benchmarking and overclocking communities. All existing benchmarks recorded by Windows 8 have been disqualified. This is due to a fault in Windows 8′s real-time clock (RTC), which all benchmarking tools use as a baseline.

In almost every modern computer, there’s a real-time clock (RTC) that keeps accurate track of the time even when the computer is turned off. Usually this is done through some kind of package on the main logic board that just sits there, quietly ticking away the seconds. In modern computers, the RTC is often built into the southbridge. In standalone RTCs, the package usually contains a built-in power source (a battery) that keeps the RTC going, so that the device still shows the right time after experiencing a power cut or being relocated; in the case of your PC, there’s probably a button battery or supercapacitor on the motherboard that keeps the southbridge powered. (As for why your microwave doesn’t contain an RTC to prevent that the Blinking Clock of Doom, who knows…)

The RTC, due to its implemented-in-hardware nature, is very useful for providing a baseline for benchmarks. Unlike software, which can be easily meddled with or affected by outside influences, the RTC in your PC — as the name suggests — is designed to keep pace with real-world time. For every second that ticks by on your quartz-powered wristwatch, a second ticks by inside your PC. Thus, to generate accurate results, benchmarking tools use the RTC to work out exactly when the benchmark started and finished. This is how most benchmarks have always operated, and it’s how every major benchmark operates today.

Unfortunately, though, Windows 8′s RTC isn’t reliable. According to HWBot, Microsoft made some changes to Windows 8′s timekeeping routines to allow for low-cost devices and embedded systems that don’t always have a conventional PC-compatible RTC. HWBot doesn’t give specific details (presumably we’re talking really low-level kernel stuff here), but it proves its point with some damning empirical evidence. Basically, if you change your CPU base clock (BCLK) frequency in software (not at boot time), it has a massive impact on Windows 8′s ability to keep accurate time. By underclocking the BLCK of a Haswell system from 130MHz to 122MHz (-6%), Windows 8 loses 18 seconds over a five minute period (see video above); and the inverse applies to overclocking, too.

This is a problem for benchmarks, because they trust your RTC implicitly — they assume that your system is still keeping accurate time, when in actual fact it isn’t. So, if you run a five-minute benchmark on an underclocked system, the benchmark actually runs for five minutes and eighteen seconds (6% longer). If you boost your multiplier to compensate for the lower BCLK, this means that your computer draws 6% more frames or completes 6% more floating point calculations, resulting in a 6% higher benchmark score. If you underclocked your BCLK by 20%, you would see a 20% gain in the benchmarks, and so on. You can see how this would be a bit of an issue for a benchmarking site like HWBot.
Teehee

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've been a huge fan of iPads ever since getting the original iPad. It gets my vote for tech gizmo of the decade.

I saw today that Target was offering a great deal. They are giving 200.00 in store credit for even the original iPad which really shouldn't hold much value anymore being close to 4 years old. Even 200.00 for the iPad 2 is a pretty good deal.

Since I have three iPads 1, 2 and 3, and only use two of them. I wiped my iPad 1 and 2 (takes less than a minute to do) and took them down to target. The process was painless. The guy barely even looked at my iPads. No cables or anything needed. The only requirements are that the glass isn't scratched and it turns on. I received 400.00 in store credit. I kept my iPad 3 since it's a retina and is still speedy.

I picked up a 32 GB iPad Air WiFi so ended up only paying 200+ tax for it.

There's a major weight difference between the older iPads and the Air. The Air only weighs one pound and the thinner bezels on the sides make a big difference as well. You can actually use it as an eReader if that's your thing. I use it for comics and PDF magazines so it makes an impact for me as well.

I watch TV/Movies on my iPad and listen to Audiobooks and Podcasts using the built in speaker so the speaker quality is important. Happy to say the upgraded speaker(s), which have always been good, are very good (for what they are). Loud and solid, not tinny.

Also nice that the new iPhone 5s and iPad Airs come with Garage Band, iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Numbers and Keynote Apps for free. That's a very nice package of quality apps.
Between November 3rd thru 9th visit your local Target Mobility store and trade in any iPad for at least $200 to use towards the purchase of a new iPad *. To take advantage of this offer simply follow the below steps:

Step 1: Find your local Target mobility store by clicking here.
Step 2: Your device will be appraised in-store at the mobility kiosk.
Step 3: $200 minimum promotional credit will be issued on a Target Trade-In Gift Card and is redeemable in any Target store

http://www.targettradeinprogram.com/
I don't know if anyone else has an original iPad but you aren't going to find a better deal than 200.00 for it. The above says "to use toward a new iPad" but you can use it for anything. They handed me a gift card with 400.00 on it.

I originally was thinking of just getting 200.00 for my iPad and then use it for Xbox One/PS4 accessories/games but then thought better of it as I like having two iPads, that's the sweet spot for me. 3 is too many! If they offer 200.00 for iPads again next year, I may turn in one or two and grab the latest if it's a major update.

iPads sure hold value compared to some other electronics. Buy three get one free, even after 4 years. Can't believe I got 1/3 the purchase price of my original iPad, hassle free and with no cable, box, etc.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Another testament to how great Apple customer service is.

I noticed what I thought was a dead pixel on my iPad Air. After looking at it awhile it turned out to be a spec of dust under the glass. Super small but on a white background scrolling text, it's noticeable, especially after you know to look for it.

I went online and set up an "Genius" appointment at my local Apple store. (same day, just a few hours later). I walked in with my iPad Air that I bought at Target. They don't ask anything about it or where you got it. I pointed out the little spec. They took it into the back room, five minutes later the Apple guy said they were going to replace my iPad Air. I wiped my iPad, acknowledged I had exchanged my iPad on the Apple Guy's iPad service thingy, and was on my way.

Apple may be pricey, but the hardware is outstanding and the customer service is top notch. No need to argue or spend prolonged time explaining a problem.

New screen is flawless. After using the iPad Air a few days, the reduced weight and thinner bezel makes a big difference. As expected, it's incredibly fast as well. It's an amazing piece of technology.

The Apple Store was jam packed with people. The only thing of note was that one customer had big time cameltoe.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

God, Winnow. You had one perfectly good post here. It was well thought out, no bullshit or agenda spewing then you just had to throw in some creepy thing at the end didn't you?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I can't help it. I'm very observant! To lessen the creepy factor, the jam packed Apple store had all kinds of people. Very diverse. While waiting for my appointment, I noticed an unusual amount of employees hugging other employees going on. I'd hate to work at an Apple store as you're on your feet your entire shift, talking non stop and must present a very enthusiastic attitude at all times while being busy as hell. They must be exhausted after getting off work. It's impressive that they are able to maintain that. I think one reason is that they give their customers zero grief over exchanges which they can do due to the high profit margins. They still make a profit even if the the returned item is a 100% loss since their mark ups are in the 60-70% range. Of course, those exchanges are almost never a 100% loss with refurbs/parts, etc.

On the flip side, people abuse it. I was reading an Apple forum and some dude said he had exchanged his iPad 26 times. There's also someone that trades/buys iPhone on eBay/Craigs List and then exchanges perfectly good phones at the Apple store so they can sell the exchanged one unlocked.

Only a company with Apples super high profit margins can accommodate this sort of thing. They can handle the very small set of super nit-picky consumers or asshole consumers without it making headlines very often and avoid bad press. Shit happens, especially with high tech stuff. I had to exchange my iPhone 4 due to yellowing splotches and now the iPad Air. It's nice to be able to do it hassle free when it happens. I remain a very happy Apple customer while I wouldn't be quite the same if stuck with a screen with even the smallest of flaws. Plus the 33% exchange value for 4 year old iPad and older versions is amazing. If you continue to buy new versions, it's like constantly getting 33% off after your initial investment, which is a nice.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A new report on iPhone production at Foxconn does an amazing job of putting demand for Apple’s latest iPhone in perspective. The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday issued some insights into Foxconn’s iPhone production that really help illustrate how much work is involved with building and shipping the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c. According to The Journal’s unnamed sources, which are said to be executives at Foxconn’s parent company Hon Hai, Foxconn has 100 production lines, 600 people per line and a total of more than 300,000 workers dedicated solely to building the iPhone 5s — and that’s just at one factory in Zhengzhou, China. How many iPhone 5s handsets can all those people build? According to the report, they’re pumping out a staggering 500,000 iPhone 5s units each day.

To help put that remarkable figure in perspective, consider this: According to data from market research firm Strategy Analytics, Motorola only managed to sell 500,000 Moto X phones during the third quarter this year. The phone was first released on August 23rd, so it was available for more than a month in Q3.

In other words, Apple has more iPhone 5s handsets built each day than the Moto X sold in over one month.

One anonymous executive also noted that the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5 were easier to build than the iPhone 5s, which makes it even more impressive that Foxconn is managing to achieve the kind of output described in the report.

“For the iPhone 5C or the iPhone 5, we only have 500 workers per production line as the assembly procedure is less complicated,” the Hon Hai executive told WSJ. “Although the market had concerns over demand for the new iPhone before its launch, our Zhengzhou site’s production capacity for iPhones has continued to grow over the past two years.”

Another executive noted that Foxconn’s production of 500,000 iPhone 5s handsets each day is the highest daily output the company has ever achieved for a single smartphone model.
500,000/day just iPhone 5s units...holy crap.

Enjoy being an Android developer!
When people talk about Android being bad for developers, this handy chart explains in a nutshell what they’re talking about: across the board, in every metric, Android developers make less money than iOS developers… often by a lot.

Put together by Business Insider, the monetization gap between Android and iOS is so profound that releasing a free-to-play game supported by advertising will bring you in just seventy-seven cents to every dollar earned by an iOS app developer.

But it gets worse. Every dollar earned on in-app purchases on iOS brings in less than a quarter on Android. And overall, developers make just $0.19 per download in revenue, compared to a dollar earned in revenue on iOS.

That’s abominable. Android may have a bigger marketshare than Apple’s, but this is why the best apps come to iOS first: despite the smaller marketshare, it can be five times more profitable to do so.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just another reason Apple is a solid choice compared to Android.

iOS 7 Reaches 70% Penetration on iOS Devices

New data from online ad network Chitika reveals that iOS 7 is currently running on more than 70 percent of North American iOS devices.

“This makes it very likely that iOS 7 will continue to substantially outpace iOS 6 adoption, which reached 83 per cent close to six months following its release in September 2012,” the company noted in its report.

This quick adoption rate has already broken records. Within 24 hours of its public release, iOS 7 was running on more than 18 percent of North American iOS devices — compared to iOS 6, which was installed on 14.8 percent of iOS devices after that same period of time.