PC Upgrade: 2009 Edition

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: PC Upgrade: 2009 Edition

Post by Winnow »

The new 30xx cards support PCIe Gen 4, I've got it on my x570 motherboard for my AMD chip. No Intel boards have it. That's another hit to add to the NVMe 4th Gen speed boosts not available on Intel boards.

We'll have to wait and check the benchmarks to see if it boosts the framerates etc. It may only be a few percent faster but it will be faster on Gen4. A few percent for the graphics card, a few percent for the faster SSD all add up.

Also another sort of on topic note. The PS5's super speedy SSD is only there because it's an AMD system. Intel boards couldn't handle the SSD throughput that's in a PS5.
Intel announced today in its Q2 2020 earnings release that it has now delayed the rollout of its 7nm CPUs by six months relative to its previously-planned release date, undoubtedly resulting in wide-ranging delays to the company's roadmaps. Intel's press release also says that yields for its 7nm process are now twelve months behind the company's internal targets, meaning the company isn't currently on track to produce its 7nm process in an economically viable way. The company now says its 7nm CPUs will not debut on the market until late 2022 or early 2023.
Intel is behind on a lot of things right now. They better pray they don't repeat the failure of their last process that they entirely scrapped.

AMD will have 5nm even before Intel's 7nm finally makes it to market:
Intel's first 7nm server CPUs (Granite Rapids) will arrive in 2023, which is later than listed in earlier roadmaps that projected a launch in 2022. That timeline is concerning in the face of AMD's continued execution with its EPYC data center chips – AMD's roadmaps outline its 5nm Genoa processors coming to market before the end of 2022.
The 7nm delay reflects yet another setback as Intel still struggles to overcome the multi-year yield issues it has encountered with its 10nm process. Those delays have allowed its competitors, like AMD, to wrest the process node leadership position from Intel for the first time in the company's history. That's triggered a price war in the market as Intel fights a true x86 competitor with a better node, not to mention Amazon's new Graviton 2 ARM chips based on TSMC's 7nm node. Apple also recently announced that it is transitioning from Intel's chips to its own ARM-based 7nm silicon. The 7nm delay also exacerbates the recent news that rock star chip architect Jim Keller, who was a key part of a team effort to revitalize the company's roadmaps, has left the company.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: September 6, 2020, 4:49 am The new 30xx cards support PCIe Gen 4, I've got it on my x570 motherboard for my AMD chip. No Intel boards have it. That's another hit to add to the NVMe 4th Gen speed boosts not available on Intel boards.

We'll have to wait and check the benchmarks to see if it boosts the framerates etc. It may only be a few percent faster but it will be faster on Gen4. A few percent for the graphics card, a few percent for the faster SSD all add up.
Here's some benchmarks for you...

Wow a whole 1% increase there (if at all). I'm not sure I'd call that "another hit" against the Intel boards. As Steve says... "The difference is real, but it's also irrelevant." It's a marketing box to check off but other than that no real meaningful benefit. I'd have no qualms about shoving a 3080 into my current computer.

But hey whatever helps you justify your purchase! You need to stop fanboying out about everything you buy.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

1% could be the matter of life or death in an FPS shooter!

That's just an added bonus to the real reason why Sony and Microsoft chose AMD for faster SSDs.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: September 19, 2020, 5:12 pm 1% could be the matter of life or death in an FPS shooter!
It could be. But it's not.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--