Cannon Rebel XSi

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Cannon Rebel XSi

Post by Marbus »

Ok so as a father of 3 boys (soon to be 4) I got really tired of missing 90% of my shots and picked one of these up at Dell a few weeks ago (yes Dell it was on sale and with a coupon it was the cheapest place on the Internet). The ratings had it on par or better than the Nikon D80 (D90 just came out) but it was pretty much the same price as the D60 so I got this.

Anyway, it's fantastic, I love it. The pictures are great and being able to use the 3.5 fps outside has given me really good shots.

Yet some of them look very faded in bright light, yes I could use auto everything but I'm trying to learn my way around this SLR world. I've learned that I can up the exposure to get nice pictures at dusk w/o a flash etc... but haven't played with much else yet.

Anyone else have a Digital SLR? Cannon or Nikkon? Any tips? Do you use filters in bright lights? What lens should I get (mine came with the kit lens).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Marb
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Cannon Rebel XSi

Post by Aslanna »

There have bee a few threads. One is here which might have some info. I'd stick with the kit lens for now until you discover its limitations. There's really no way to recommend specific lenses without knowing the budget and how they'd be used. I'd probably start off the Canon 50mm lens. You can either get the 1.8 for ~$75 (cheap construction but good lens for the price) or you can get the 1.4 which is about $300.

I don't normally use filters other than a polarizer. You can do a search there's a bunch of beginner sites out there like here which seems fairly decent on quick glance. Basically the best thing to do is take a bunch of shots while adjusting different settings and see how they affect the final result.

Since that thread I've moved from the 30D to the 40D which is nice. Was planning on the new 5D Mk II but real life expenses have gotten in the way so that will be awhile.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Re: Cannon Rebel XSi

Post by Siji »

When you get to the point where you want a new lens, check out this link to see what various focal lengths will provide you with:

FL Tool

Personally I picked up the faster Canon 50mm due to the speed because I'm shooting a lot of indoor (less light) stuff. My next lens will be a fast wide angle (most likely Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - only $400). While I like to shoot outdoor stuff, the majority is of family and indoors so the fast wide angle is better (for me).