MX1100 Mouse

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

MX1100 Mouse

Post by Winnow »

Niiiiiiiice.

Logitech upped the DPI to 1600, finally making a wireless mouse besides the G7 worth considering. Looks like they took the best parts of their MX1000, Revolution and G7 mice and made the MX1100

Things I like:

-1600 DPI (with on the fly dpi switching)
-big mouse feet (sweet!)
-2 AA batteries (not big deal but I use rechargeable AA batteries which last long time)
-ergonomic mix between the MX1000 and Revolution
-forward and back thumb buttons
Test Driving the 1100

We'll test the Logitech MX1100 mouse with several important characteristics in mind: ergonomics, dpi and precision, buttons, scroll wheel, and software.

Ergonomics

Ergonomics plays an important role in how comfortable a mouse is—by far the most important characteristic for general-purpose mice. The 1100's contoured, right-hand-specific shape allows the hand to rest on the mouse naturally, with the thumb scooped up inside the thumb groove and above the thumb lip, while the ring finger wraps around the right grip.

Compared to the popular Logitech G5, the 1100 is noticeably bulkier, taller, though not as long. The large shape allows users to palm the mouse: resting the hand and moving the wrist. For more precise control, users can also operate the 1100 with the fingertips easily. Large hands will have no trouble with the 1100, though small hands will have a lot of mouse to move around. The 1100 measures 4.80 x 3.45 x 1.91-inches (L x W x H).

The amount of movement you'll have to do to move this beast largely depends on the next important characteristics: dpi and precision.

DPI and Precision

The laser sensor clocks upwards to 1600dpi—twice that of most non-gaming mice. We kept it at that level to reduce any excessive movement. The polling rate measure 129 Hz—about average for a non-gaming mouse. The lift-off distance (how far the cursor jumps when the mouse if lifted) is minimal, and at times nothing, so that's a huge plus for gamers. The laser sensor tracked well across not-so-smooth surfaces.

The on-the-fly dpi switching buttons are a relief for users who jump from application to application. In Photoshop, we would dip our dpi down to its lowest setting (400) for the lasso tool and fancy touch up work. When we'd jump back out to Web applications, we would put it back up to 1600. On-the-fly dpi switching is very common for gaming mice, as it allows gamers in shooting games to move around at normal speeds, but tune down the dpi when sniping.

Buttons

There are ten buttons on the MX1100. Mo buttons, mo problems, right? Nah.

The two thumb buttons are out of the way from accidental presses, yet easily within striking distance. The on-the-fly dpi buttons are easily accessible with just the slightest index finger movement. Each button requires a soft, gentle press, meriting a near silent click with a little bit of tactile feedback.

The stealth thumb button requires a firm squeeze to execute, which is ideal given that the thumb rests on it at all times. The only time we pressed this button accidentally was when jerking the mouse side to side to test for any cursor instability, but this won't be a likely scenario for users. The stealth button has a distinct aural and tactile click for positive feedback.

Scroll Wheel

We discussed the scroll wheel in detail on the previous page, noting that it is ideal for different users who prefer one vertical scrolling mode over another. Detents are distinct, perfect for accurate scrolling or weapon selection. Freespinning mode is perfectly seamless, capable of spinning for more than ten seconds and flying down long documents.

The button to toggle between these two modes is located just below the scroll wheel. This requires a firm press to execute.

There's a distinct click when nudging the scroll wheel to the left or right. We're a bit ambivalent to this horizontal scrolling thing. If you're use to it, great. If not, it can become annoying when you intend to click the wheel down the middle but hit it to the side by mistake. It happened to us a few times. Our advice is to click the wheel carefully down the middle, or even disable horizontal scrolling entirely in the software.
Some pics here:

http://gizmodo.com/5040312/logitech-mx- ... mouse-ever

Thankfully I was able to buy another G7 but will pick up one of these MX1100's as my next mouse most likely.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: MX1100 Mouse

Post by Truant »

I know I've said it before, but I just don't like wireless mice.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

the free spinning wheel is great at work. i bought a logitech mouse exclusively for the free spinning wheel.. glad to see that it is apparently going to be sticking around in future models.

but yeah, as everyone knows.. wireless mice are for nub gamers not hardcore professionals like me, so it doesnt leave the office.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The G7 is fine as a gaming mouse with 2000dpi. Every other wireless mouse until this MX1100 was a pathetic 800dpi.

1600dpi is borderline but should get the job done.

I can't fucking stand wired mice...especially with the high dpi (3200) gaming mice as I have them cranked up so high that they move across half the screen if the cord gets bumped or simply from the slight resistance to the cord when you take your hand off the mouse, the cursor jumps. (yes, even with good cord management)

Lately I've been using the Wacom Bamboo Tablet for detailed image editing, etc. That thing is great so I rarely lower the dpi on my G7.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I may give this a whirl. My desk is set up in a way that the mouse wire sometimes snags on something and is quite annoying.

I don't really play FPS style shit, so am not too worried about precision.
en kærlighed småkager
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

My desk is set up in a way that the mouse wire sometimes snags on something and is quite annoying.
That's one reason I prefer trackballs (thumb based ones). I hate having to move my whole hand around and I hate when the cord snags on something. Plus, my desk uses a keyboard drawer, so there really isn't enough room for a keyboard and standard mouse.

Best mouse ever...
2021.1.0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

But that's not a mouse, it's a trackball.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:-2 AA batteries (not big deal but I use rechargeable AA batteries which last long time)
This makes it 'meh' for me. I prefer the rechargable base like the MX1000 has. Now obviously being non-replacable once they wear out your mouse is pretty much dead... But I found it more convenient. Perhpas they could merge the two technologies with the next mouse. Until then I'll stick with MX1000. Been thinking of picking up another one of those actually.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: This makes it 'meh' for me. I prefer the rechargable base like the MX1000 has. Now obviously being non-replacable once they wear out your mouse is pretty much dead... But I found it more convenient. Perhpas they could merge the two technologies with the next mouse. Until then I'll stick with MX1000. Been thinking of picking up another one of those actually.

Good rechargeable batteies (eneloop) last a very long time (several weeks). I don't mind switching out 2 AAs every 3 weeks or so. I bought eight eneloop AAs awhile back. 4 are in my camera, 2 in each of my 360 controllers. They work great and it only takes 2 hours to recharge them. On my recent trip back East, I took the four out of my 360 controllers as backups for the four in my camera but never needed them, even with taking 300+ pictures, multiple videos and reviewing the pictures on the camera's LCD quite often.

Just need some quality rechargeable batteries!

800dpi on the MX1000 is too low for my preferences.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm just too lazy to mess with a separate recharger. I like sticking the mouse in the base before going to work or whatever and having it recharged when I go to use it again. No muss no fuss! I have some rechargable AAs but for some reason they never seem to last long . And I've tried different brands including Energizer. Or maybe it's the charger...
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:I'm just too lazy to mess with a separate recharger. I like sticking the mouse in the base before going to work or whatever and having it recharged when I go to use it again.
Ditto.
I currently have a MX Revolution.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:
Aslanna wrote:I'm just too lazy to mess with a separate recharger. I like sticking the mouse in the base before going to work or whatever and having it recharged when I go to use it again.
Ditto.
I currently have a MX Revolution.

:vv_yeahthat:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Geeze, I don't even mind swapping out the G7 battery once a day. It's spring loaded. Easy!

As for rechargeable, not all are the same quality for sure. That's why I linked the eneloops above. I picked them up at a Circuit City after doing the usual research.

I also can't deal with tiny mousefeet so this new MX1100 passes the test with the almost G7 sized feet.

valryte wrote:
My desk is set up in a way that the mouse wire sometimes snags on something and is quite annoying.
That's one reason I prefer trackballs (thumb based ones). I hate having to move my whole hand around and I hate when the cord snags on something. Plus, my desk uses a keyboard drawer, so there really isn't enough room for a keyboard and standard mouse.
Big feet, quality mousepad, and 2000+ DPI = barely any movement at all while still being precise.

I tried the thumb trackballs but it seemed like too much work for the thumb. Can't cover the whole screen without picking up your thumb and scrolling again...and cut and paste, dragging, etc seemed a lot more tedious with a thumb trackball to me. It also feels more natural for me to use my fingertips for detailed movement and then click with the same fingertips.

With a high DPI mouse, the base of my palm never moves with just my fingertips being able to move the mouse enough to cover both 1920 pixel wide screens. It makes for less fatigue with heavy mouse use.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Looks like I finally found an upgrade to my MX Laser!

Marb