Soylent 1.1

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Soylent 1.1

Post by Winnow »

Anyone tried out Soylent 1.1?

Apparently there's a 4-5 month waiting period just to get the stuff. It basically replaces all of your food needs.

I realize this probably isn't the right forum to post in since you people like cooking and eating but this looking interesting.

http://www.soylent.me/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/17/58932 ... ourishment

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/2/68961 ... -fart-less

While I enjoy the taste of food, I'm more interested in hassle free nutritional fulfillment without worrying whether I'm lacking this or that.
Last edited by Winnow on October 3, 2014, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Soylent 1.1

Post by Leonaerd »

You would.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

would what?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

All I know is what I saw in a Wired column.
Final report:

I saved time not having to make and plan meals. I wasn’t hungry, and I felt more energetic and more alert. Oh, and I lost 10 pounds. Awesome! I’m still going back to solid food, though.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:All I know is what I saw in a Wired column.
Final report:

I saved time not having to make and plan meals. I wasn’t hungry, and I felt more energetic and more alert. Oh, and I lost 10 pounds. Awesome! I’m still going back to solid food, though.
Well I don't need to lose weight but the rest sounds promising. I'd really like to try it but 4-5 months sounds nuts for wait time. They have an active forum where you can make it yourself but that sounds like work!

I'd happily pay $70/month to not worry about food anymore.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What did surprise me was that I never really tired of the flavor of Soylent. I expected that by the end of the first week, I’d be dreading every sip, but I actually fell into a groove where I looked forward to my next glass. And it was nice recouping significant time otherwise spent looking for and eating food — perhaps an hour a day or more. Furthermore, if I was ordering Soylent month to month, I’d be paying $8.50 a day to get effectively all the nutrition and calories I needed to stay alive for the price of a standard New York City lunch.
Doesn't sound too bad.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

But does drinking that really replace the profound joy of tearing into the flesh of a live animal?
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

What living animals are you eating? At least kill them first!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:But does drinking that really replace the profound joy of tearing into the flesh of a live animal?
I wouldn't be doing it for that reason : ) I'd still eat other food for "pleasure" but the bulk of my intake would be balanced .

So say, 80% of my food would be replaced, not 100% . Still good for nutrition while leaving room to eat/drink whatever else.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I thinking I can design a setup to use my Oculus Rift VR Headset along with a "two beer can holder" hat with straws, replaced by Soylent solution to attempt a marathon VR session. I've yet to find a solution for outgoing bio material so I figure I'd start out sitting on the porcelainn throne while wearing the VR and Soylant Hat. I want to eventually get as close to being in one of the Matrix Battery Pods (before he was rescued) as possible.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's the nutrition facts for Soylent. Someone let me know if it looks good. I'm sure someone here has knowledge in that area!

https://faq.soylent.me/hc/en-us/article ... -Nutrition
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It was around this time that something I should have anticipated—but hadn’t—finally happened. My poop became Soylent. Typically (and forgive me if this is TMI) I have a bowel movement once a day; it’s rare that I don’t. With Soylent, I started going every two days. And by the time everything from before made it out of my system, said infrequent bowel movements became extremely sticky and, ahem… off-whitish-tan. It was gross, but felt strangely… purifying?
Cut half the time you poop, although you may require more toilet paper! Nice that while saving eating time, you also save significant pooping time. (Not quite cut in half due to an additional wipe or two)

Day 7:
I stopped craving food at this point. I felt fantastic. I sat at a work outing and didn’t care that I wasn’t eating the delicious guacamole that everyone was passing around. I would watch people leave for lunch breaks and chortle to myself while I got an hour of extra work done and sipped my Soylent. My energy levels were higher than I had felt in a while. I didn’t feel that sort of shaky invincible like you do after drinking a Red Bull, but I felt pretty darn close to it.
Here is the outstanding journal account of this guy's 2 week test of Soylent: (early .08 forumula)

It includes before/after bloodwork, mental alertness etc.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/08/20/soylent/
Regular diet (not including meals out with friends on weekends, which almost always includes dinner Friday night and brunch Saturday): $24/day

Soylent diet: $9/day

Savings: $15/day or $105/week ($5,460/year)

(If you include $80/weekend I typically spend on eating out here in New York, then that’s another $4,160/year, for a total of $9,620.)
That's New York prices so a bit inflated, especially the weekend figures, at least for me. It would be less savings for me, but considering what I eat, way more nutritious.

There are quite a few 30+ day reviews of the stuff out there.

------------------

I ordered 42 meals worth for $155.00 to try it out. (that's two weeks if I go 100% Soylent) It's $130.00/month if you subscribe to have 42 meals delivered monthly. $255/month if you went full Soylent.

Now I just have to wait 4-5 M O N T H S before I get it. Christ. That's longer than I waited for my Oculus Rift after pre-ordering it. They cater to returning customers as it's 1-2 week wait after you get your first delivery.

I'm thinking if this goes well, a 50/50 mix of Soylent and regular food might be what I try long term. I need to weight the value of Soylent vs a Pizza Pocket.

I'll report back on how this goes sometime in February or March when it actually gets delivered.

2 year EXP date in case of the a-pack-of-lips
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I stopped craving food at this point. I felt fantastic. I sat at a work outing and didn’t care that I wasn’t eating the delicious guacamole that everyone was passing around. I would watch people leave for lunch breaks and chortle to myself while I got an hour of extra work done and sipped my Soylent. My energy levels were higher than I had felt in a while. I didn’t feel that sort of shaky invincible like you do after drinking a Red Bull, but I felt pretty darn close to it.
"Haha, look at those fools enjoying delicious, healthy food together."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looking forward to trying this stuff out. I'm not (at least for now) looking for a complete replacement for normal food consumption. I'm looking more to use this as a way to get a a third or half of my required body food/nutrient requirements each day while eating one "normal" meal a day and have to worry less about if it covers all my body's needs.

I really don't want to spend time buying/balancing my meals wondering if I'm getting x amount of this or that. Possibly Soylent for breakfast/lunch and then regular meal for dinner or some other combination might work out.

I realize it's a work in process as they balance the formula and this company may not turn out to be a good long term solution but it's worth trying.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I really don't want to spend time buying/balancing my meals wondering if I'm getting x amount of this or that.
Part of the reason Soylent is wildly popular is because people are too retarded to understand that nutrition is simple shit. Get enough protein, take a multivitamin, don't starve / stuff yourself often and you'll be fine for your entire life.

Soylent is just the new "one simple trick" to being fit that fatasses will continue to supplement with twinkies and blame genetics on.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm not overweight or unhealthy but I still don't take the time to buy proper food. If Soylent has more nutrition than a pizza pocket than it is probably a good thing for me.

Part of the reason Soylent is popular is that a lot of people don't get into cooking and don't like grocery shopping and wasting time with food preparation. A one stop shop that fulfills your body's needs is an attractive solution and big time saver.

I like food. I don't like preparing it or taking the time to shop for it or going to restaurants. I eat mostly food that takes 2 minutes or less to prepare. I don't really care if something tastes good as long as it doesn't taste horrible and takes care of my needs, I'm happy. I'll still eat ice cream, other meals, etc or whatever else I feel like eating on the side. 2 less meals I need to deal with a day is more time for other things.

I get that some people dig cooking or going out to eat.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a brief review of Soylent 1.1 (compared to earlier formulas)

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/10/6957 ... ief-review
Soylent, the beige, one-size-fits-all nutrient powder whose name recalls a movie about eating people, just upgraded its formula to version 1.1 a few days ago. Conveniently, the order I placed back in May — before my month-long experiment — just arrived yesterday, so I wanted to give the upgrade a quick test. Is it better? Is it easier on the stomach?

Actually, Soylent 1.1 involves a few changes, so let's go through them one by one:

Smaller shipping containers: I can attest that they are indeed significantly smaller — each box, a week's supply, is roughly half the size of the old one. It might not make a difference if you're living in a three-bedroom, two-bath ranch, but it's a welcome change in my shoebox of a Manhattan apartment.

Redesigned oil bottles: You need to dump a little bottle of oil into each pitcher of Soylent that you prepare, and the old bottles — they looked like travel shampoos — could get a little messy. I had a couple leak just enough to coat the outside with a thin, slippery film. The new bottles are shorter and look more robust, but we'll see if any eventually leak.

"Powder-resistant" zippers: I don't know what Soylent is talking about here. Each bag of powder, one day's worth of Soylent, has a tearable top with a resealable zipper underneath. That's not new, and it's not any cleaner than before. I tore the package open last night and Soylent dust spilled all over my sink

And then there's the powder itself, which has two major changes. First, they've halved the sucralose, which makes it less sweet (Soylent says the idea is to make it easier to adapt to different recipes). Plain, prepared Soylent 1.1 is definitely noticeably less sweet than 1.0, but not by much. I was worried it would require me to add an extra step to the nightly preparation by throwing a packet of sweetener in the batch, but it's really not enough of a change to matter.

Finally, let's talk about the biggest change: the addition of "a blend of digestive enzymes" designed to combat intestinal discomfort and gas that many original Soylent drinkers complained about. I'm now two servings into 1.1, and I feel like a champion, so I guess they're working — then again, I never had severe problems with the old formula, so your mileage may vary.

And that's it. It's still a fairly strange-tasting product and concept that most people probably won't be into. For current Soylent users, you'll be just fine with 1.1. And if you're curious and considering taking the plunge, know that it's slightly easier to use than it used to be.
That's the entire article. Glad to see some of the fake sweetener being removed.

I wonder if it's probiotics they added to the mixture to help with digestion.

3.5+ more months to wait!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I've been watching this stuff as it develops, and I'm definitely interested in trying it out one day.

Mainly for the time saving aspect of it, if the taste is enjoyable. I wouldn't mind having it for breakfast and dinner most days, while eating lunch out at work with friends.

Check back in once you get it and let us know how it is.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xouqoa wrote:I've been watching this stuff as it develops, and I'm definitely interested in trying it out one day.

Mainly for the time saving aspect of it, if the taste is enjoyable. I wouldn't mind having it for breakfast and dinner most days, while eating lunch out at work with friends.

Will do.

I wish the backlog wasn't 4 months to get it. The 48 meals I ordered should be enough time for me to determine if it's a good thing or not. From what I've been reading, it takes about one week for things to kick into gear and then you start feeling great if things go well.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Announcing Soylent 1.2

Development of the Soylent formula is ongoing as we work to engineer the most healthy, affordable, and convenient staple food ever produced.

Today, we take another step towards achieving this goal with the launch of Soylent 1.2. All shipments leaving our facilities now contain the updated formula.

Soylent 1.2 no longer uses fish oil as a source of omega 3 fatty acids. These essential nutrients are now provided by algal oil, which results in a formula produced with increased efficiency and without the use of animal products.

After further evaluation, the enzyme blend introduced in Soylent 1.1 has been removed from the 1.2 formula to increase satiety.

Oil Blend Changes / Soylent Now Animal-Free

Efficiency in all areas has always been a core principle of Soylent’s product development. Animal-based products are inherently less efficient than plant-based products due to the greater amount of resources required in their creation.

A perfect example of the inefficiency of animal-based nutritional compounds is fish oil, used in Soylent 1.0 and 1.1 as the source of omega-3 fatty acids DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid).

The fish oil used in those versions of Soylent is manufactured from Icelandic herring, mackerel, and anchovy. These animals have a natural diet of algae, which results in high concentrations of omega-3 fatty acids in their flesh. After being harvested from the North Atlantic by large fleets of fishing vessels, these fish are transferred to processing facilities where they are turned into fish oil through an energy-intensive process which includes application of heat, pressure, and centrifugal force.

For Soylent 1.2, we eliminated fish from the production process entirely. DHA and EPA are now harvested directly from algae cultivated in large fermentation tanks. This leads to a much more tightly controlled process with increased efficiency and sustainability.

An added benefit to this increased efficiency is that Soylent is now 100% animal-free, meaning that we will no longer need to offer the “vegan” formula which required users to supply their own oil blend. We are excited to simplify the user experience for these customers and appreciate their patience over the past several months as we have worked towards this goal.

Digestive Enzyme Removal Improves Satiety

Soylent 1.1 included enzymes that were hypothesized to help with digestion. While a small group of users reported that these enzymes improved digestion, a larger group indicated Soylent 1.1 was thinner in consistency, giving a less filling experience. These enzymes have been removed in Soylent 1.2 to improve the blend’s thickness and satiation.

For customers that felt Soylent 1.1 helped with their digestion compared to 1.0, please see the Release Notes in your shipment of Soylent 1.2 for information about over-the-counter enzymatic blends that best emulate the experience of 1.1.

We are currently testing new enzyme blends (among other options) to further address user digestive issues. We have identified potential adjustments to the formula that we are excited to bring to customers once testing is complete. This aspect of Soylent’s development remains a top priority for our product team as we continue to iterate on the product.

More Information

Thank you to all of our customers that have tried Soylent 1.0, 1.1, and will soon receive Soylent 1.2! We are excited that our product development has been progressing rapidly and look forward to hearing feedback from our customers who will be receiving Soylent 1.2 in the coming weeks. For more information on Soylent 1.2 and to discuss with our community, please visit the Soylent Discourse.
Nice. Will have a few months of others testing 1.2 before I get mine! Might be 1.3 by around February when I actually get it though.

Not that it's 100% began, I can do Soylent shots with Spang.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

We're currently shipping orders from mid-June and hoping to get to July soon. We'll be announcing the transition to shipping July orders soon -- stay tuned. We're doing everything we can to produce/ship Soylent as fast as possible. Apologies for the inconvenience -- we definitely appreciate your patience and support.
That's from Soylent's forums. They're still shipping orders from June. That's nuts. Current estimate on new orders is 4-5 months but it seems like its closer to 6 months. I'll probably have to wait until May to before I get to try this. Hope this works out as I need some meal balancing.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Indeed. I have no idea how people ever managed to balance their meals before this product came along!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Indeed. I have no idea how people ever managed to balance their meals before this product came along!
IKR!

Either spent too much time preparing meals or died early. For people that don't have a love affair with food, this is a great alternative to getting what you need and then you can tweak it as you wish. Still hoping got 2/3 meal plan with 2 meals Soylent and one meal whatever I want if this stuff turns out to be ok.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

We are pleased to announce the arrival of Soylent 1.3, the latest milestone in our development of an increasingly efficient and environmentally-friendly staple food. With the inclusion of dipotassium phosphate and a reduction in the size of our shipping boxes, we have incrementally improved both your Soylent experience and our distribution efficiency.

The last Soylent 1.2 shipments left our warehouses yesterday, and starting today (11 Dec 2014) Soylent 1.3 will be the only version shipping to customers.

What’s New in Soylent 1.3

Soylent 1.3 now contains dipotassium phosphate, which replaces potassium gluconate as the primary source of potassium. Through this change, we have been able to improve the neutrality of Soylent’s flavor profile while decreasing the mass of the Soylent pouch to 432 grams.

You will also notice that we have made a slight change in our packaging with another reduction in the size of our shipping boxes. Customer feedback has indicated that surplus volume in our shipping boxes is inconvenient, and we are working constantly to make the packaging as space-efficient as possible.

Update on Gluten

Making Soylent free of all major allergens has been a priority since conception. While no ingredient in Soylent 1.3 naturally contains gluten, our oat flour is produced in a facility that also processes wheat products. Even with an allergen containment program in place, Soylent contains gluten at a concentration greater than 5 parts-per-million, the upper limit for gluten free certification from the Celiac Support Association.

The cross-contamination challenges of oats are significant. From the farms where they are grown, the containers in which they are transported, and the facilities that process them, oats have numerous opportunities to come into contact with surfaces shared with wheat, barley and rye. Certified gluten free oat flour has proven extremely challenging to source at scale, and several promising alternatives to oat flour are currently under examination. We look forward to releasing a future Soylent update which is certified gluten free.

Future Development

Thank you to all of our customers who have taken the Soylent journey with us, through the crowdfunding campaign, our release of 100% animal-free Soylent 1.2, to today’s announcement. Your feedback continues to be the cornerstone of our product development process -- we look forward to hearing what you think of this updated version. As of today, all orders being shipped to you, regardless of order date, will include the new formula.

Our product development team is moving at lightning speed to further enhance your Soylent experience, and we look forward to hearing your feedback on Solyent 1.3 to include in any future versions of the product.
Soylent 1/3! Perhaps I'll receive this version sometime in February.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Soylent just raised $20 million so that it can start fulfilling orders on time

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/14/75475 ... ter-orders

Soylent has raised $20 million in funding to further its goal of replacing food with a nutritionally balanced powder. Though the two-year-old company is profitable, it very much needs to take on the additional funding in order to expand its operations. Orders of Soylent have been subject to notoriously long delays, which is why the company plans "first and foremost" to use this money to improve its manufacturing. Soylent says that it's already making progress on that front, adding two new manufacturers that will allow it to produce 50 times more of its food powder than it currently has the capacity to. The goal is to eventually be able to ship out purchases immediately, but Soylent will have to get through its pending orders first.

""In time Soylent will be synthesized directly from light, water, and air with designer microorganisms.""

This is a long way to come for Soylent, which launched as a Kickstarter nearly two years ago. The company makes a powder that you mix with fish oil to create a smoothie-like concoction that tastes a little bit like cake batter and is supposed to have all of the nutrients you need for a healthy diet. Soylent has made adjustments to its recipe since launch, most notably to reduce "digestive issues" that many initially complained of.

Andreessen Horowitz led the funding round, which is the first significant one for Soylent. Chris Dixon, a general partner at the firm, says that Soylent also plans to invest in further research and development, including working on improvements to the current formula and on new products. The plan is also to "dramatically" reduce the price of Soylent. It currently sells for $3 for a meal's worth of powder, but the company wants to get it down to "a fraction of that." As for why Dixon thinks Soylent will succeed, he points to the company's community — it supports a DIY forum of enthusiasts who make their own Soylent-like powders, and Dixon thinks that a community like that is difficult to replicate and will spread the word without requiring Soylent to spend money on marketing.

Soylent CEO Rob Rhinehart doesn't elaborate much on the funding, but he has written a lengthy blog post / manifesto about the future of food. He says that the "dream" is for Soylent to eventually be "so useful it is taken for granted, like tap water or climate control." He imagines that kitchens will eventually disappear from the world as we improve automation and efficiency:

The future of food is not the return to an agrarian society but the transcendence of it. In time Soylent will be synthesized directly from light, water, and air with designer microorganisms. Genetic engineering to enhance our microbiome, and eventually ourselves. I don’t know who was the first farmer, but I want to be the last. We will make food so cheap only the rich will cook
Yay for me! Maybe I'll get my Soylent order near the end of the month or early February now.

I like the part about getting the cost of Soylent down to a fraction of the $3 a meal it is now. Get it to $1 a meal and you have your food requirements covered at $90/month. Combine that with gas that cost me about $25/month currently and it's a total non factor for auto and body fuel.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Soylent 1.4: no more oil bottles! Shipping today

We are proud to announce Soylent 1.4, a new standard in engineered nutrition.

Soylent 1.4 is the most significant update we have made to the Soylent formula since launch. Fats are now incorporated directly into the powder, which eliminates the need for a bottled oil blend. An adjusted macronutrient ratio and several new ingredients further optimize digestibility. The number of servings per pouch has been increased in response to customer feedback.

Alongside our formula improvements, we have been making positive progress in our overall business processes. Since our last update, we have aggressively expanded our customer care team and satisfaction metrics have improved dramatically.

Soylent 1.4 would not be here without the enthusiastic support of our customers and the vigorous efforts of the entire Soylent team. A huge thank-you to everyone who has played a part in making Soylent 1.4 our best iteration yet.

Please read on for a detailed summary of the changes made in Soylent 1.4:

Powdered oils

Throughout the development of Soylent, we have been frustrated by the inefficiency and messiness of our bottled oil blend. Today, we are happy to announce that Soylent 1.4 no longer includes separate oil bottles. This update cuts down on wasteful packaging, removes the need to measure out oil when mixing individual servings, and streamlines on-the-go preparation.

We accomplished this milestone by utilizing a blend of sunflower, flaxseed, safflower, and algal oils, as well as maltodextrin, a preexisting Soylent ingredient. Maltodextrin is lipophilic, which means it dissolves readily when combined with lipids (fats). When mixed with the oils, particles of maltodextrin quickly surround every molecule of oil. The maltodextrin particles then bond to each other, forming a dry outer shell around the oil molecules. The resulting billions of encapsulated oil particles form a fine, dry powder. These oil powders are blended with Soylent’s other dry ingredients during manufacturing.

Macronutrient ratio

Our research and in-house testing have indicated that a carbohydrate/fat/protein ratio of 43/40/17 improves digestibility while still providing optimum nutrition and improved satiation. This means that out of the total calories in a pouch of Soylent, 43% come from carbohydrates, 40% from fats, and 17% from protein. We have adopted this macronutrient ratio for Soylent 1.4, a shift from the 50/30/20 ratio used in previous versions

Isomaltulose

When reviewing Soylent 1.4’s nutrition facts panel, customers may notice what appears to be a significant spike in the labelled amount of sugar: from 6 g/pouch to 44 g/pouch.

In fact, Soylent 1.4 actually contains less sucrose (table sugar) than previous versions: 2.7 g/pouch. How is this possible?

The answer is isomaltulose, a new ingredient and carbohydrate source in Soylent 1.4. Isomaltulose is a derivative of sucrose, but the similarities largely end there. While sucrose is a fast-digesting carbohydrate that causes rapid and unhealthy changes in blood sugar levels, isomaltulose is a far healthier source of carbohydrates and is absorbed into the bloodstream at a much slower rate than sucrose.

Because it is chemically similar to sucrose, the FDA requires isomaltulose to be listed as a sugar on nutrition facts labels, rather than a carbohydrate. We feel this could confuse customers, as it skews Soylent’s labelled nutritional profile and falsely causes it to appear unbalanced. Soylent’s formula has always been engineered for balanced nutrition, and version 1.4 is no different.

Other carbohydrate changes

We have reduced our oat flour content from 110 grams to 70 grams per pouch. This reduction allowed us to incorporate several new types of slow-digesting carbohydrates, including one potato starch and two rice starch varieties.

Sodium chloride

Sodium and chloride levels have been increased slightly, to 1,640 mg and 2,300 mg, respectively. In the past, Soylent has not fully met the Institute of Medicine’s recommended sodium intake levels, due to the challenges of providing recommended daily sodium values without creating an unpleasantly salty flavor.

Thanks to the addition of isomaltulose, Soylent 1.4 can now meet the IOM’s recommended levels for sodium and chloride while maintaining a balanced flavor profile.

Artificial flavors

Prior to 1.4, Artificial Flavors were listed as an ingredient in Soylent. The artificial flavors were a blend of chemicals that, when combined, added a hint of vanilla flavor to Soylent.

Due to U.S. food regulations, the exact makeup of the artificial flavors used in Soylent versions 1.0 - 1.3 were proprietary and not made available for our examination.

This made it impossible for us to provide customers a truly exhaustive list of Soylent’s ingredients, an uncomfortable shortcoming that did not match our values of transparency and open information.

We were happy to discover that various Soylent 1.4 formula changes resulted in a flavor profile that met our neutrality standards without any artificial flavors. We have removed artificial flavors from the Soylent 1.4 formula entirely.

Fiber

Total fiber content (both soluble and insoluble) has been reduced by approximately 40 percent, dropping from 30 grams of fiber per pouch to 18 grams of fiber per pouch. Our tests have suggested a strong correlation between reduced levels of fiber and improved digestion.

These reductions came from the removal of gum acacia and the decreased quantity of oat flour. There is still ample fiber in Soylent 1.4, and we are happy to have found a balance between essential fiber content and digestibility.

Serving size

Our customer surveys have indicated that most people consume smaller servings of Soylent than the recommended serving size listed on the nutritional facts panel.

To better match these reported consumption patterns, the number of servings in a pouch of Soylent 1.4 has been increased from three 670-calorie servings to four 500-calorie servings. Serving size has dropped from 144g (excluding oil blend) to 115g.

Kosher status

As our number of Soylent production facilities increases and our ingredient supply diversifies, we have confronted unexpected challenges in maintaining Soylent’s kosher certification without facing significant delays in production.

For this reason, we have temporarily suspended Soylent’s kosher certification, starting with version 1.4. We will reapply for kosher certification once our expansion has stabilized.

Operational updates

Soylent 1.4 production will take place at two new manufacturing facilities, for a total of three. Together, they will have the capacity to produce Soylent at more than 50 times our previous output rate. Such a level of production will allow us to fully meet demand for Soylent, an enormous milestone in our company’s growth.

Reaching that level of production will be contingent on many factors, and span several months. Regardless, we are excited to report this progress and look forward to a future with shipping times measured in days, rather than weeks or months.
Soylent's gone through three versions since I ordered it back on Oct 3rd. It's looking like I should get my order near the end of March.

I like that there are no more oil bottles to mix in. Ease of use/consumption (along with balanced nutrition) is what I'm looking for. Looks like nice changes to the formula.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Got my 2 week supply of Soylent!

Mixed up a batch and put it in the fridge. I think I'll wait at least a week before commenting about taste, how I feel, etc. I'm going to shoot for 2/3 soylent meals, 1/3 meal of my choice for a week. To really determine how it makes you feel , you probably need to go a full week consuming only soylent so other foods don't interfere but I'll work up to that.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm actually interested to hear what you think of it afterward, for once.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just a brief update until a week passes for a full review. I haven't taken a dump yet since I started consuming Soylent 1.4. I had ice cream once and coffee early on and fried rice lunches the first two days but all other meals have been Solyent 1.4. Going pure Soylent this weekend and probably until I comment on Tuesday or Wednesday. I might have coffee depending on how I feel as I know there can be caffeine withdrawals (headaches) if you go cold turkey sometimes.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This is day 7 so I'll post how things went day by day. Read the whole thing because the first part isn't good!

Day 1 (Wednesday)

Receive Soylent via FedEx late in the afternoon. Having been reading the forums, it was generally suggested than blending up a batch is better than shaking to mix it. It also said to refrigerate for 3 hours before consuming for best taste. I did neither. I made my first 64 ounce pitcher and put it in the fridge after shaking it to mix and then poured a glass to try it out.

My thoughts after my first taste of Soylent: Holy fucking shit this tastes horrible! No really, sweet jesus this is bad! I was expecting it to taste bland but this was nasty with a bad after taste. I had a few more drinks and had to immediately wash it down with water. I began to have second thoughts if I could consume this stuff, even if I chugged it for each meal.

Despite my surprise at how bad it tasted, it had zero negative affect to my stomach/digestive system. That all felt fine.

Day 2 (Thurs)

I poured a glass when I woke up in the morning. Taste still not great but sitting in the fridge for a few hours and chilled definitely helped. Soylent is filling. I didn't feel hungry and stomach, etc felt fine. I had a normal type lunch (Fried Rice) and then had Soylent again for dinner. The glass at dinner didn't taste bad. I felt fine, not hungry the rest of the night.

Day 3 (Friday)

Drank a glass of Soylent in the morning and the taste no longer bothered me. It's as I was expecting in the beginning. Rather bland. My best description of the taste is a melted vanilla shake. Not sure what to say here but in three days I went from the stuff tasting horrible to totally acceptable and easy to consume.

I had a normal lunch again (Fried Rice based) and then Soylent again for dinner. Body/head felt good.

Day 4 (Saturday)

I wanted to go full Soylent for the weekend. I drank the stuff all day and finished a pitcher which is 2000 calories. Couple things happened this day. My head felt a little strange. I equate it to having too much caffeine. Not a headache but an unwanted caffeine type buzz. I had some ice cream in the evening and immediately had some indigestion. My stomach didn't feel right. I'll have to blame it on the ice cream because I felt fine before it.

Day 4 (Sunday)

Still going full Soylent. I'm thinking that 2000 calories was way too much for me. It's early on but I think about 1200 calories of Soylent is more like what my body needs. I think my adverse feeling the previous day was drinking too much of the stuff. As to my buzzing head, I finally had some coffee and that cured it on Sunday morning. It probably was a bad idea to stop the caffeine straight up since I always have a cup of coffee. Felt very good the entire day.

Day 5 (Monday)

Had Soylent for breakfast, Pineapple Chicken meal for lunch and Soylent again in the evening. Feeling very good. Soylent is working as advertised, it's filling and I feel energetic.

Day 6 (Tuesday - today)

Full Soylent. No breakfast except for a few ounces of Soylent and then I drank it on and off through most of the day, had couple extra swigs at lunch and small drinks in afternoon.

I feel outstanding.

----------------------------------------------

Thoughts:

1. Taste

No getting around this. I was scared for my life my first couple tastes. Amazingly after a couple days it's like second nature to drink it. Part of that was not blending my first batch and not allowing it to settle/cool but also I think you adapt to it pretty fast. My guess is that it doesn't take long for your body to know this stuff is good and perhaps even psychologically you adjust. Whatever the reason, taste went from issue to non-issue in jsut a few days. I mention because anyone else that tries it, should really give it a few days before commenting (like I did this week).

2. Health

I don't eat well so this may have more of an impact than for some of you. I feel fucking great. ZERO stomach/digestive issues. I'm sleeping like a baby. No headaches. This isn't some sort of miracle food but it does exactly as advertised. It provides a balanced food source and for me, it's made a monster difference in how I feel after 1 week.

3. Portion

Ignore the 2000 calories pitcher a day. It's Soylent. Drink it if you feel hungry. There's no reason to force down a full pitcher a day. Best thing about it is you can drink it anytime and it's filling. I can say, if you do need to slam it because you can't eat again for awhile, after drinking 12-14 ounces, I didn't feel hungry for 5 or so hours. If fact, I never really feel hungry anymore. I feel satisfied and not bloated. There's no reason to eat a big meal.

As advertised, Soylent is just "there" for you to consume when you feel like it. There's no real concept of "3 meals a day"

4. Poop

Some people reported gas issues with Soylent 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2. With 1.4 there's nothing out of the ordinary that I've noticed. As for poop, also as advertised, for awhile I didn't know if I'd ever poop again. When I did, it was the Goldilocks of poops. Just right. Not too hard, not too soft.

5. Energy

After one week, and starting after 3 or so days, I've felt great every day. Feel energized. I'm pretty lazy right now which is probably part of the reason I don't need 2000 calories. Wednesday I was 188 pounds (6'2") Today I'm 186 pounds. One week is not much time to get a handle on weight but seems to be moving lower rather than higher. This stat should be interesting since I really don't feel hungry much, I'm curious how my weight adjusts over time.

6. Ease of use

Doesn't get much easier than this. Mix up a batch at night. Takes a couple minutes even using a blender. Most time spend cleaning the blender afterwards. 1.4 packages last 2 years if unopened. Mine have a 2/2017 expiration date. If it turns out you hate it, you can store it as emergency food for a few years at worst.
-------------------------------------------

One thing you may not have considered with Soylent. It's an EXCELLENT way to test yourself to see if any of your poor health symptoms are from your diet. Drink a full Soylent diet for a week and see how your body feels...headaches, stomach, digestion, rashes, etc etc. When you have the exact same food that's well balanced, it's a great way to see if you need to change your normal diet.

Another thing I learned is that I didn't consume nearly enough water/liquid. On top of the ~64 ounces of Soylent, you still "need" another 1.5 liters of water. While I'm not drinking that much more water (more like .75 liters, I'm a lot closer to what I need than before.

I haven't had any headaches. Haven't felt tired, etc. Mind is clear. I am liking the way I feel.

I subscribed a day ago to receive full Soylent shipments (28 count - 2000 calorie meal packages) at $255/month. I'm not a fanatic and plan to eat a little bit of other foods and coffee. If it turns out I only consume 1200 calories a day, all the better. You can pause your subscription anytime you want and enter a resume date so maybe I'll end up getting shipments every 45 days...cheaper for me!

The benefits of feeling great for me outweigh how I felt and my crappy diet before Soylent. I'll still be eating Filet Mignon from time to time (and then blasting it out of my ass and hour later after suffering indigestion) because it tastes good but I'll eat other food for enjoyment, not nutrition.

If anyone decides to try Soylent. The only way you're going to know if it's for you or not it to give a go for a full week and be full Soylent for the last few days. Your body is going through detox from whatever you've been eating and also adjusting to Soylent. It's not just me, the users in the Soylent forums tend to report the same week time frame.

Don't overreact to the first taste. If someone came to my door and offered me a sample of Soylent I'd probably take a bat to them because it tasted so funky the first time. Some people in the forums flavor it all the time and have lots of their own recommendations. I'm good with it straight. One other note is that people seem to think 1.4 is the worst tasting Soylent so far. Every month or so the formula changes so it's an ongoing process. Integrating the oil was a big change instead of 1.0-1.3 requiring you to add a bottle of oil to each batch.

Getting back to my original goals:

1. Food preparation time (check!) 4 minutes a day
2. Balanced Nutritious Meals (check!)
3. Absolute minimum time dealing with food acquisition (check!) (delivered on doorstep, water only other ingredient or need)
4. Health (check!) best I've felt in a long time these past few days.

I'll now treat non Soylent food as a form of entertainment and not as consideration for my nutrition needs.

Next major report after 30 days. Then maybe 3 months, 9 months/year (if I'm still at it!)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

2 Week Report:

Been full Soylent except for one Pasta dinner, a few ice cream servings and coffee. Only other consumption is water.

Feel great.

Pre Soylent Weight: 188
1 Week: 186
2 weeks: 184

My high school/college weight was 175. I've been as light as 160 and as heavy as 200. I won't worry about weight loss until/if I hit 175.

I subscribed to the monthly Soylent distribution and my next month's supply came a week later on my doorstep so it looks like they've improved for re supply orders.

Still working as I'd hoped. I may eventually go 2/3 Soylent 1/3 other food but right now it's more like 7/8 soylent 1/8 other food.

I still get tired from lack of sleep (not Soylent's fault) but otherwise feel great. No adverse affects yet. No headaches or digestive issues. I don't crave other food but also don't mind eating it when I see it. Way better having Soylent (stable consistent food source) as primary and then simply enjoying other foods when I feel like it and taking note if it makes me feel like crap. Still think one of the most useful things Soylent can do for anyone is test out your current diet by seeing how you feel after a week on Soylent as a baseline.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

How many calories do you consume per day? And how many prior to soylent (if you even know)?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:How many calories do you consume per day? And how many prior to soylent (if you even know)?
I have no clue how many calories I consumed prior to Soylent. I still don't keep track. It seems like I'm consuming around 1500/day (1 pouch of Soylent is 2000 calories) I drink some when I feel like it so i'm not really portioning it out for 3 or 4 equal meals a day.

First possible negative:

I poop less often but when I poop, they are epic logs that have required plunger action the last two times. :!:
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Supplement with psyllium husk to fix yer poops.

1500kcal / day is sooo low. I eat nearly triple that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:Supplement with psyllium husk to fix yer poops.

1500kcal / day is sooo low. I eat nearly triple that.
After three weeks, I still have one more 2000K packet of Soylent left of my original 2 week supply so it looks like I may be closer to 1350 Calories a day. I have had 3 Pasta meals total and a bowl of ice cream most days though so those count as some extra calories. Just water and coffee though for liquids.

Week 3:

Weight Tracking

Week 00: 188
Week 01: 186
Week 02: 184.0
Week 03: 181.8

Looks like the 2 pound a week weight loss is still happening. I'll probably post a note here weekly until that stops or my weight hits zero pounds.

Some things I've noticed. I have a hell of a lot less trash. I just have a stack of plastic 16 oz cups in my trash (add 6 cents a day for cups to my Soylent bill) All the cereal boxes and plastic bottles, milk jugs, etc all gone. My fridge is barren. I take out the trash a LOT less.

Another observation (particularly for fat asses). There are no "portions" with Soylent. Part of fatassedness is having set portions of food that you eat. With Soylent, it's completely based on need to fuel your body. With a cup or drinking container of Soylent near me, I don't feel compelled to keep drinking it. Only when there's any sense of hunger that I feel...and that comes on very gradually so I never feel hungry. I wouldn't starve myself on purpose. I feel great.

Soylent is doing exactly what I wanted it to do. It reduces my food preparation to 4 minutes a day and gives me an excellent balanced reliable food supply that has caused zero headaches or digestive problems.

I sit here writing this while having a bowl of French Silk Ice Cream. I still am enjoying the foods I like for the taste of them when I feel like it.

As for my monthly subscription of full 28 packets of Soylent for $255/month, I'm going to probably have to keep suspending it or delaying it two weeks as it appears I'll use a month's supply every 6 weeks which brings the cost of my daily Soylent food intake to about $5.50/day or $168.00/month

So far, so good. (heed the warning that it tasted like crap to me when I first tried it, so give it a few days)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

$255 a month! lol. Just eat a reasonable amount of actual food (not junk food) and you'll be just fine. People and their "fad diets" crack me up.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:$255 a month! lol. Just eat a reasonable amount of actual food (not junk food) and you'll be just fine. People and their "fad diets" crack me up.
Guess you didn't read anything in the thread including the very last post. Not a diet, not a fad, not 255/month. Try again! Figures you would bring the least useful info to the thread!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Figures you would bring the least useful info to the thread!
Pot calling the kettle black. Racist!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You're lacking a single clue in this thread. Not sure why you jumped in to make asinine comments in a food thread without reading the reasons for Soylent but that's your MO. Enjoy your trolling in a food thread I guess!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

karma's a bitch!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

ok
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I find it hilarious how you get so butthurt when people troll your thread but you have no problem doing it to everyone else.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

oh noes, don't troll his serious thread!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I was mildly interested, but after doing a bit more reading and finding out there are many ingredients in it that are not actually good for you, I lost that little bit of interest.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I understand you clowns get all upset of trolling the #1 troll topic on the internet (Xbox vs PS) and have to try and get your revenge where you can.

Soylent's working as intended which has been awesome. If it makes you feel better to shut this thread down, congrats! Back to the ever important topic of Xbox vs PS because I know that's most important to you people.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote: you people.
Racist!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You sure do a good job at playing the victim. You've trolled many threads other than the Xbox and PS ones.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:You sure do a good job at playing the victim. You've trolled many threads other than the Xbox and PS ones.

This is a thread that offers information on a product that some people besides me were interested in:
Xouqoa wrote:I've been watching this stuff as it develops, and I'm definitely interested in trying it out one day.

Funkmasterr wrote:I'm actually interested to hear what you think of it afterward, for once.
I doubt you've seen responses like those posted on one any your threads. Not too many people care about console sales units that pop up on any gaming RSS feed on the net.

Xbox/PS threads are regurgitated crap you can find on a thousand fanboi sites. It's bullshit to pass the day. That anyone gets upset over those threads is pretty funny in itself.

Soylent is a time saver pure and simple. The purpose of it is to completely avoid food preparation time while getting a balanced meal for people that make over minimum wage and don't think $6-8 day is too much to spend on food.

I suppose you can hate the company that makes Soylent for some unknown reason. To my knowledge they are continuously striving to make their food source as environmentally friendly, vegan, and cheap ass possible. Not sure what's to hate about that for people that don't give a shit about cooking or care about how their food looks on their plate or tastes before ingesting it.

I'm not playing a victim here. I was, as I have many times in the past on many forums on VV, offering useful information for those interested, primarily on the PC/Tech forums, for awhile on the comics forum.

It's clear most on this board don't get it and think flaming a useful thread with high amounts of feedback on a product is the same as flaming some of the highest flamebate topics on the net (Game Consoles/Apple/Microsoft/Android). Does anyone really give two shits about which console is better? Soylent, since we are in the Soylent thread, is a great example of a thread that had actual interest similar to PC build threads I made for years before updating PCs didn't matter much anymore. Several people bought PCs based on my build. It was well researched and useful.

So flame away. I don't recall ever hopping into food discussion, after providing no useful information and start flaming someone's recipe. Whatever floats your boat!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

This is a 'flame'? :
$255 a month! lol. Just eat a reasonable amount of actual food (not junk food) and you'll be just fine. People and their "fad diets" crack me up.
You need some thicker skin. Again, you can dish it out but you sure have a hard time taking it.
I was, as I have many times in the past on many forums on VV, offering useful information for those interested, primarily on the PC/Tech forums, for awhile on the comics forum.
Sure. On threads YOU created. But when other people create them you have no problems trolling away posting stupid shit.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

If you actually posted in this forum, it would have been the same as 95% of your other posts. Nothing but trolling. You have no problem doing it elsewhere, so why should it be any different here?