Mung bean casserole

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Mung bean casserole

Post by Aabidano »

Good stuff, basic recipe I found someplace to use the mung beans I bought because they were on the shelf in front of me. Pretty good as-is, some grated ginger might perk it up some.

Mung Bean Casserole
A substantial and warming dish that's also very healthy. Vegan. Hands-on time: 10 mins. Total time: 1 hour (plus overnight soaking). Recipe for Mung Bean Casserole, contributed by Mike Lewis. Mung beans are among my favorite legumes. They're most often used in Indian and Chinese cooking, but they add taste and substance to western dishes too. With their rich, creamy texture, they're also great in salads. And their health credentials are excellent: zero cholesterol, negligible fat, high in protein and dietary fiber, and a good source of calcium and iron. And did you know that mung beans are easy to grow at home? If you'd like to give it a try, take a look at Growing Chinese Vegetables in Your Own Backyard. It's a book I can definitely recommend. This mung bean casserole is a particularly tasty recipe, and one that shows off the bean to perfection. It's quick and easy to make (apart from the overnight soaking of the beans), especially as you can do most of the preparation in advance. The quantities given here will make two very substantial portions.

Ingredients:
½ cup (3 oz, 75 g) dried mung beans
4 - 6 medium potatoes
Oil for frying
1 onion, sliced and chopped
2 large carrots, sliced
2 large sticks of celery, sliced
4 - 6 mushrooms, sliced
2 cups (16 fl oz, 480 ml) vegetable stock ½ tsp. miso (if available)
Salt and pepper to taste

Method Oven: Pre-heat to 400F (200C) Cover the mung beans with about three times their volume of cold water, and leave to soak overnight. Drain and rinse the beans. Add them to a pan of boiling water. Boil rapidly for ten minutes, then turn down the heat and let them simmer for another ten minutes or until completely cooked. When ready, drain the beans and rinse in a sieve under running water.

While the beans are cooking, peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Boil in salted water for about ten minutes, or until they're just beginning to soften.

Heat the oil in a pan. Add the onion, and cook gently for a few minutes. Then add the carrots, celery and mushrooms. Continue cooking until the vegetables are starting to become tender.

Add the stock, miso and seasoning, and cook for another five minutes. Add the cooked beans, potatoes and vegetables to an oven dish. Cook in the oven, covered, for 30 minutes.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."