Grinding the Meat

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Grinding the Meat

Post by Canelek »

Anyone here grind their own meats? I do not hunt anymore, but I would like to tinker with buying good cuts to make fantastic burgers! Also, packaged ground beef/pork can be questionable. Also, it seems that meat grinders can be had on the cheap via Amazon or wherever online. Any recommendations?

Oh, and SAUSAGES!!!
en kærlighed småkager
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Grinding the Meat

Post by Psyloche »

I don't do it normally, but have at a friend's house because we wanted to try doing exactly what you said (good cuts ground into burgers); plus watching the meat come out all ground up was somewhat fascinating. We used one of these to grind the meat and it turned out pretty well. I enjoyed the burger but haven't bothered doing it again since because 1) I don't have the grinder, he does and 2) it was expensive meats for burgers!
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I think I will wait until I have a good stand mixer and then reconsider. It seemed like a super idea yesterday! However, aside from making awesome burgers and chilli-meat, I really would not use it often enough. Plus we are trying to save money and it is hard to justify grinding 20 bucks worth of steaks for burgers! :) I think if I really feel like it, I'll just pulse some steak in the food processor.
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

If you're not doing much or often, just snag a hand cranked grinder at a flea market or whatever.

I've got one that was my grandmothers, works great as long as you aren't doing a lot.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I have a grinder attachment for my mixer and I've used it for making fresh sausages and burgermeats a few times. The main annoyance is that I don't have a dishwasher, those grinders are a pain in the ass to clean!
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Grinderparts --> Hand clean, thoroughly dry + protective oil. If I remember correctly, those fuckers will oxidize quickly so I imagine the dishwasher is out.
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I've got the grinder attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer, as well as an ancient hand-cranked one that belonged to my great-grandmother. I actually prefer the hand-cranked one to the mixer's for anything that I'm grinding lose. If it's going in a casing, the mixer's attachment is good because you can extrude straight into the casing. I would think you can pick up a hand-cranked one pretty cheap.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Agree with many of the comments above.

Cane - as you know I'm an avid hunter, and I grind probably 100-200 lbs of burger each year (between what I harvest, and my brothers / father as they don't have a good grinder so I grind their meat for them as well).

The hand cranks are cheap, and you can often find them at garage sales / flea markets for less than 5 bucks. These are great for just wanting to do it for a couple of burgers or whatever, but do get tiring if you are doing large amounts as you would expect.

I also have the kitchen aid with the attachment - and I absolutely love it. It seems some people don't care for it, but imho - it works fantastic. But also as Drolgin stated - if you don't have a dish washer it's a pain to clean up as any grinder is. The new ones are all dish washer safe, so there is no worry about oxidation etc - it's only the older ones I believe.

I've washed mine in the dishwasher for the past 5 years - repeatedly, and it still looks brand new.

I have also used some of the weaker electric grinders you see at cabelas etc, and they just don't have the "oomph" to get it done - I have yet to find one that will do as well as the kitchen aid - but I also have not tried any of the professional grade ones which I am sure are much better.

Hope that helps.

Canoe
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I think that clears a lot up. Thanks bud!

Now, to justify the Kitchen Aid purchase....luckily my girlfriend can bake, because that is one culinary skill I have yet to spend much time on! :P
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Canoe wrote:but I also have not tried any of the professional grade ones which I am sure are much better.
Borrowed a friends commercial grinder, it was great for large batches, grinding multiple deer at once, making a lot of sausage, etc...

Actually was a pain for small batches, powerful enough to spit meat across the room if you aren't feeding it right.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."