Ceviche question

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Ceviche question

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I love ceviche and want to make some for a family gathering this coming weekend. I've made ceviche before with fresh fish that I caught with friends just an hour before making it, but I am not familiar with buying ceviche-grade fish(or shrimp, scallops, etc).

My main question is what to look for as far as freshness and whether or not previously-frozen can even be an option. I would like it to be raw and cooked in lemon/lime, but I don't mind cooking it beforehand if it's a lot more realistic and cheap. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Re: Ceviche question

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

All I know is that freshwater fish or oily fish is a bad call. A tip if you're worried about "overcooking" the protein is adding salt to your citrus base when the fish looks done, this will stop the curing process (mostly). Other than that, I got nothing. My girlfriend refuses to eat raw (as in untouched by heat) fish. Sushi nights are no fun :/
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Think I'll go with the safe route and just buy really fresh.

There's a special deal on halibut @ a local market and generally it's one of my favorite white-fish, so there we go.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Just buy really fresh. Sushi-grade would be optimal (barring freshly caught). Previously frozen will often have too much water and be a bit broken down once thawed.

As for shrimp/scallops, you may not want to cure them as long as fish, but I am not positive on this...
en kærlighed småkager
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Sushi-grade is almost always flash frozen first to kill off parasites, so that might be a good call for you.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

week or two late but I always pan sear the sea scallops going into my ceviche. Tons of lime juice, diced tomatoes and onions with parsely and it's pretty much done. Also make it about a day in advance to "rest". Shrimp are always cooked as far as I know.
Raw scallops are definately an acquired taste/texture.
Never really had ceviche w/ any other fish to be honest so I wouldn't know what else would work from personal experience.