Grilling!

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Grilling!

Post by Zamtuk »

That patio thread in General got me thinking about stealing other people's (yours!) grilling recipe's so I can pass them off as my own to my family and friends. That, and I am kind of tired of grilling the same burgers/steaks/chicken/kabob dishes. I am going to try out my rotisserie at some point as well as that beer butt chicken. But what are some of your other awesome recipes that you all cook on the grill? This is also a good place to post your badass hamburger recipe as well. So it isn't blatant theft, I shall provide my personal burger recipe that I actually came up with as trade.

Zam's HellBurgers

(measurements are subject to preparers discretion due to nature of heat)

1lb ground sirloin or 90/10 beef
2tbs Worcestershire
2ts hot sauce (texas pete)
3 drops Daves Insanity Sauce
Cracked black pepper
Creole seasoning
Crushed red pepper
Cayenne pepper

Mix ingredients thoroughly and make into patties (This is obviously to scale since 1lb makes like 1.5 burgers for me). Splash some more worcestershire sauce and set them in the fridge for a few hours to marinate and let those flavors come together.

As they go on the grill I tend to throw some more creole seasoning/worcestershire/hot sauce (not dave's) on the burgers

Toppings:

Thick pepper bacon
Habenero Cheddar (this is the best cheese ever)
Whatever else you want

When the burgers are done, put the bacon on top then 2 slices (you have to slice the cheese yourself) and let the cheese melt on the grill before serving.

These are my favorite burgers to make. If I am making normal burgers, I just take out the Dave's and cayenne. The heat won't be over powering, but definitely present. It seems to be a real winner at my cookouts.
Fuck Michigan!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Grilling!

Post by Canelek »

Don't forget to use gloves when forming the patties!!! Dave's will put the hurt on your hands, and whatever you decide to scratch.

Good looking recipe, Zam!!

I use Tapatio to marinate with, aslong with cayenne, black pepper, Lawry's Seasoned Salt and garlic powder. Tapatio is cheap and available in like every grocery store. I don't care for it by itself, but it makes an awesome ground beef marinade.
en kærlighed småkager
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

That's pretty hilarious, it did the exact same thing to me too. I even went back and printed out Canalek's BBQ recipe from the other thread.

I did a shit ton of chicken last year, but so far I've been really craving some burgers. I'm lazy and don't have some awesome burger recipe other than mixing some Heinz Steak sauce, egg, smashed (basically crumbs) soda crackers and chopped onion into the ground beef before making the patties. Sometimes I add some garlic powder and cayenne pepper, so it's actually kind of close to Zam's recipe. I use the Heinz steak sauce over Worcester because for some reason, I really dislike Worcester. However I found that I had to use almost double the Heinz steak sauce when I replaced the Worcester.

Also, I tend to use this for a pasta salad side dish, it's basically cooking pasta, mixing in package and cool, done.

I might get back into putting in a lot more work to grilled foods, but honestly just having it fresh off the grill is usually good enough to satisfy me, without the need to put in tons of prep work.
Last edited by Psyloche on May 4, 2009, 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Not true recipes as I don't have quantities (I do it by look) and they are pretty much straightfoward, but two of my grill favorites:

1) Kabobs -

Chops / Steak (I use venison or elk steak and chops, but would be great with any high quality lean cut of beef) Cut into 1 -2 inch squares
Uncooked Shrimp
Pearl Onions (you can cut up regular, but it's a pain in the ass - I like the pearls just because they are easier to skewer)
Sweet Peppers
Cherry Tomatoes
+ Any other veggie you like that will hold up under heat (Pineapple is pretty popular)

Soak Skewers if using wooden disposable ones in water for 1 hour (so they don't catch on fire).

Skewer meat / veges / shrimp, but ensure there is at least 1 shrimp on every stick in which there is meat (If doing for guests I usually do a few "all veggie" ones just in case someone doesn't like meat). I like to alternate just for looks - ----Meat---Pepper --- Shrimp --- Onion--Meat---Tomato --- etc... I try to get at least 1 of everything on each skewer.

Put raw kabobs into a large pan / tupperware container, and pour 1-2 bottles of italian or ceasar dressing over it, and cover airtight somehow (Saranwrap is fine if container doesn't have a cover) and put in fridge. Make sure to get good coverage over all items. Personally I do this the day before, so it can marinate in the dressing over night, but at minimum give it 2-3 hours in the dressing.

Throw on Grill - the reason I do shrimp is because when doing 1-2 inch squares of the steak, when the shrimp is "done" (orange all the way around), the steak will be done medium rare to medium - which is perfect if you ask me!

No reason to "check" the meat - it's like an automatic timer. Works out perfectly every time.

2 -

Trout - This one is easy!

Take aluminum foil - put whole cleaned trout in (you can chop head off if you want, but you don't have to). Add some of your favorite white wine, 1 clove of minced garlic, some lemon juice (or slices of fresh lemon), a couple of tabs of butter, and salt and pepper. Fold aluminum foil shut so it's sealed and won't drip.

Put on grill medium heat - 10 minutes on one side, and 5 on the second - check fish. If meat / skin pulls away from bone without any effort, it's done!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Great for chicken or pork (better), very easy and few ingredients. Eric's first taste was followed by an "oh my god"

1 part honey, 1 part olive oil, 1 part dried rosemary (the more the better!) 2 parts Dijon mustard, & salt & pepper to taste. Coat meat in a plastic bag (I let it sit for a bit to let the rosemary flavor come through). Grill meat.

I've been embracing the rosemary lately. As with many herbs, it's a super food. It's a carcinogen fighter, so it's great for grilling.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Lalanae wrote:
I've been embracing the rosemary lately. As with many herbs, it's a super food. It's a carcinogen fighter, so it's great for grilling.
I'm growing 3 plants for just this purpose this year! :)

My garden is out of control, I don't know how I"m going to eat all this stuff :P
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I am going to do rosemary, basil and peppers once my area is done with random cold snaps--should be soon.

For grilling, I am going to be restricted to propane this year since I am in a townhome now (lease). So, I have a question....

Not to be blasphemous, but are there any tips for slow-cooking on a gas grill? Will it even work? Obviously, it is not going to be as good as slow cooked on charcoal, smoke etc...or am I wrong? I really do not know much about hardcore grilling.

Ribs, brisket and pork shoulder on gas.... any tips are most welcome!
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

My grill has 5 burners on the main grill surface, plus a rotisserie burner above it, and a stove burner on the side. I've tried, with reasonable success, to slow cook on it. I basically turn the burner on the far right side of the grill on high, and leave the rest off. I let the interior heat up and then knock the burner temp down to keep the temp in my target range. I throw some wet wood chips or corncobs into an disposable aluminum pie pan and fold it over so it's clam-shelled and stab some holes into it. I throw that over the heat and it gets a fairly decent smoke going. Dry rubbed pork, chicken or turkey goes on the left half of the grill, away from the direct heat. It's still not as good as a proper smoker would do, but I don't do that enough to justify buying a separate rig for it.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

No tips for grilling on the Foreman? Blasphemy!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Thanks Xat.

I suppose this technique will require a heavy lid and ample space? I would be concerned about being able to control the heat--indirectly that is.

Time to start researching grills.
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Xatrei wrote:My grill has 5 burners on the main grill surface, plus a rotisserie burner above it, and a stove burner on the side. I've tried, with reasonable success, to slow cook on it. I basically turn the burner on the far right side of the grill on high, and leave the rest off. I let the interior heat up and then knock the burner temp down to keep the temp in my target range. I throw some wet wood chips or corncobs into an disposable aluminum pie pan and fold it over so it's clam-shelled and stab some holes into it. I throw that over the heat and it gets a fairly decent smoke going. Dry rubbed pork, chicken or turkey goes on the left half of the grill, away from the direct heat. It's still not as good as a proper smoker would do, but I don't do that enough to justify buying a separate rig for it.
My grill came with a removable smoker box, but I have yet to use it. I've never smoked anything on my grill before, perhaps I will try it this year.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

We just inherited a 2 year old Weber Smokey Mountain for our summerhouse - looking forward to smoking some brisket or some pork shoulder soon!

In the meantime I've fallen in love with grilling trout with lemon + sage or butter + laurel leaves. Mmmmm.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Rosemary stems make great skewers that also add a little flavor.

random tip.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

That is a great tip! My new grill has a smoker box on it, but I can't find (with reasonably little searching) any mesquite wood to throw in there. I also need to figure out how to get my rotisserie working properly.
Fuck Michigan!
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Truant wrote:Rosemary stems make great skewers that also add a little flavor.

random tip.
Welcome back, Tru-bok!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I never really cared for mesquite. I like red oak, apple or cherry wood. Very light hickory or mesquite is ok, but I usually find the smoke a bit over the top.
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Canelek wrote:I never really cared for mesquite. I like red oak, apple or cherry wood. Very light hickory or mesquite is ok, but I usually find the smoke a bit over the top.
Well, you are a hippie from the Pacific Northwest... shouldn't you throw granola or something into the smoker?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I'll throw you in the smoker!
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Going to shop around this weekend for a gas grill. Hopefully, I can find one with a woodbox w/ dedicated burner--but that may be too pricey. Should be something out there I can find that is affordable, has a heavy lid, ample room for indirect heat, and has a rotisserre attachment.

I REALLY want brisket.
en kærlighed småkager
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Grilled a few times the last few days.

Portabella caps: Marinate them first.
Burgers: Make them out of beef and some other shit.
Salmon: Rub it with a spice rub.
Steak: Put it on the grill.

I hope this has been useful.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

My grill was a home depot special but it is pretty decent. It's a gas grill that is on our deck and we sent a feed to hook it up to our natural gas. It's pretty damn cool actually as we use it the grill even in the winter. The grill itself has four burners and a side to cook some beans or boil water. It does not have a smoker though. I still think that charcoal is better (and we have a mini-weber for that) but I burp charcoal for the rest of the evening when I use it so it's not brought out too frequently.

My burgers are very simple in comparison to some of the recipes here. I get my meat from our local butcher http://www.johnsmarket.com/index.html. Use Worcestershire and Montreal steak seasoning and let them sit in their prime meat goodness for at least an hour on the approx 1/4 pound patties I divide up. I usually don't spice my patties any more than that because of my 3 1/2 year old. Although, I think I am going to try to add the eggs and bread crumbs idea mentioned above to make them more meatloafy at least once.
Last edited by Chidoro on May 4, 2009, 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

That Montreal seasoning is pretty fucking versatile, especially when you don't have time to mix up a custom blend.
en kærlighed småkager
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

4th of July weekend we saw our our fireworks the night before so the day was pretty open. All day on a public tv station was this guy http://www.bbqu.net/ and I must have watched four of his shows in a row.
Holy crap does this guy Steven Raichlen know his shit. Can't find the show on demand unfortunately. Highly recommend it if you come across it on tv but the website is great as well.

I now need to buy a grill swab/mop as he swears by oiling up the grill w/ swabbing vegetable oil instead of sprays. I need to buy cedar chips so that my gas grill can bcome a smoker if needed. Everytime I read or see something, I see another item I really should pick up. It should be noted that we use our grill about 75 times a year.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

That show is a Public Television program that may or may not be carried by various local PBS stations. It's also available on Public Television's "Create TV" network on cable. I suspect that's where you saw the show on the 4th since they did a marathon of this guy's shows all day. His show is on a couple times a week on Create TV (http://createtv.com). I've got mixed feelings about that guy's show, myself. Some of what he does is interesting, but a lot (most?) of his "BBQing" is just grilling. Also, he kind of lost me when he talked about "white bbq" (mayo based sauce) being popular in Birmingham. I've lived down here for many, many years now, and I have never seen it around here. I've heard of it, but I don't know anyone that likes it or knows of anyplace that serves it.

Also, I've oiled my grill surface for as long as I can remember. I just use an old kitchen towel and some tongs to do it, though - no special equipment required :)
Last edited by Xatrei on July 24, 2009, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

just finished rolling a 24lb porchetta to go on the grill tomorrow, rawr! party time!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

re: Steven Raichlen

While nosing around createtv.com, I just noticed that Raichlen has a new public TV show called "Primal Grill" that you may want to check out if you like this guy.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Going Italian, eh bud?

How long did it take you to prepare that beast? Hungry now.
en kærlighed småkager
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

jesus, 24 pounds? How did that turn out?

And here I was going to mention My grilled rainbow trout with eggplant with mushroom skewers and you pulled that beast out of the hat.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

It was madness, but fun! I even managed to get proper crackling going, so I was happy.

I worked for 6 weeks at a fixed-menu kitchen this summer, hard work, long hours but a lot of fun. What I didn't know before going was that I'd be running the place for two weeks because the chef had given the owner an ultimatum: two weeks of real vacation or he quit. So joy, there I was. Not the least stressful weeks of my life - but I survived!

Even managed to put my own spin on a few menus :)

starter:
Grilled polenta with roasted artichoke and grilled pepper mayo
Spinach roulade with sage butter on semidry tomato sauce with basil vodka

mains:
grilled porchetta
8-hour lamb shanks with local dark ale
double baked potato
watermelon salad with feta cheese and olives
pickled new potatos with artichokes, hazelnuts and lovage
white bean / green bean salad with grilled onions and nicoise olives

dessert:
flourless chocolate cake, three kinds of melon and home made lemon/lime sorbet.

Best fucking food I EVER MADE. I felt like Tony Bourdain for a few hours there, lemme tell ya...

Then of course I crashed and burned the next day when I realised I'd forgotten to order
a) coconut milk
b) fish
c) mangos & pineapples
from the catering suppliers.

But I survived!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

That's pretty hardcore, Drolgie! :D

I went simple this weekend:

Saturday - Grilled Ribeyes: Sea salt and pepper while they rested to room temp, then pat down with paper towel to remove water. Apply more salt and pepper just before tossing them on hot grill. 2 minutes, rotate 45degrees for 1.5-2 minutes more. Flip. Repeat. Let rest for 10 minutes under steel bowl (keeps heat and helps to redistribute juices. Will not change doneness.)

Sunday - Grilled flank steak: Had marinated in red wine and dry spices overnight. Pat dry with paper towels and let rest to room temp. Apply salt and pepper before putting them on the grill. Flip @ 5 minutes for a nice med-rare. Rest for 20 minutes prior to thinly cutting against grain.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

More ribeyes this weekend!

Also, since it will be relatively cool out (finally), I am going to do some indoor cooking. Yay!
en kærlighed småkager
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Dude if I'm ever headed to Portland I'm going to invite myself over for some BBQ and chili, k?