Rice and Beans

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Rice and Beans

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

I'm eating my leftovers now and it reminded me to post my recipe here. I'm sure's a million rice and bean recipes out there. I just threw this together last night real quick and it came out pretty good. It's a nice healthy meal.

I diced 1 yellow pepper, 1 vidalia onion, 3 stalkes of celery and sauteed them with about 2 tablespoons of EVOO. After halfway through I added 2 tablespoons of minced garlic. Seasoned the pan with salt and pepper.

At the same time I heated up about 3 cups of water with one big chicken boillion cube. Once the veggies were about 75% cooked, I through in a box of whole grain rice and a can of dark kidney beans. Tossed that around for about 3 minutes. Then I through in the homemade chicken stock and simmered it for about 10-15 mins adding water when necessary to get the right texture to the rice.

Enjoy.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Rice and Beans

Post by Xatrei »

EVOO
Man, I fucking hate Rachel Ray. Also, that is not homemade chicken stock heh. Homemade would involve actual chicken carcasses, vegetables, herbs and a few hours.

I dig rice and beans, though. I'll be glad when the weather cools down because I want to make a big pot of red beans and rice, but it's too damned hot for that atm.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah, I should have called it semi-homemade chicken stock :)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Ohhh, I can't stand her either!

Beans and rice, yum! I think Arb posted a red beans & rice recipe here somewhere.

I usually just used packaged red beans & rice and toss in some sliced andoullie. :D

I like Mid's recipe though, except I would definately replace kidney beans with something else--not a big kidney bean fan.
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I don't really have a formal, written recipe for red beans and rice with measures for anything. I start with a few ham hocks and a couple of pounds of soaked, small red beans. I add diced bell peppers, onions, celery, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, cayenne powder, paprika, parsley and diced andouille to a big pot and then cover it all with water. I cook it until the beans start getting soft and then mash about 1/4 of them and return it to the pot. I pull the hocks out and pick any usable meat off of them and toss it back into the pot and discard the bones. When it's ready, I serve the beans over rice and serve it with a big piece of fried or grilled andouille and some green onions.

Another rice and beans craving I can't shake lately is for Feijoada, a Brazilian black beans and rice dish. I've got a good friend that grew up in Brazil after her family left Cuba in the 60's. She used to make a giant batch of this a few times a year and would always invite us over for it. She and her husband moved to Tennessee a few years ago, and I've not had it since. Once our move is over, I'm going to have to break down and try to make this for myself.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Xatrei wrote:I don't really have a formal, written recipe for red beans and rice with measures for anything. I start with a few ham hocks and a couple of pounds of soaked, small red beans. I add diced bell peppers, onions, celery, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, cayenne powder, paprika, parsley and diced andouille to a big pot and then cover it all with water. I cook it until the beans start getting soft and then mash about 1/4 of them and return it to the pot. I pull the hocks out and pick any usable meat off of them and toss it back into the pot and discard the bones. When it's ready, I serve the beans over rice and serve it with a big piece of fried or grilled andouille and some green onions.

Another rice and beans craving I can't shake lately is for Feijoada, a Brazilian black beans and rice dish. I've got a good friend that grew up in Brazil after her family left Cuba in the 60's. She used to make a giant batch of this a few times a year and would always invite us over for it. She and her husband moved to Tennessee a few years ago, and I've not had it since. Once our move is over, I'm going to have to break down and try to make this for myself.

Holy hell that sounds so damned good. I've never seen andouille sausage around here though. I know Emeril cooks with it a lot.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Not even Aidelle's? I thought it was nationally distributed. Check both the meat and hotdog sections at market. If no go at the large markets, hit up a specialty market or butcher shop, if convenient.

Thanks for the additional recipe for RB&R (evoo, hah!).
en kærlighed småkager
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Most grocery store meat departments can order you something if they don't stock it regularly. So can ask them also =)