NFL 2013

What do you think about the sports world?
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

NFL 2013

Post by Bubba Grizz »

The offical 2013 season started on March 12th. The draft is right around the corner and trades are already happening. So let's get ready for a new season with a new thread.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: NFL 2013

Post by Winnow »

Closer to the season, I'll do the "ten predictions" post but...leftover from last year:

- You will know who Rob Housler is by the end of the season!

I'm satisfied with the decision the Cardinals made to add Carson Palmer to the roster. He's a capable QB and will allow AZ to address the Offensive Line in the draft which is their most pressing need.

His stats were surprisingly decent from last year. He threw for the 2nd highest yardage total in Raider history last year in 15 games. He's not spectacular but is the best thing the Cardinals have had since Warner and can throw deep. He should provide a year or two for the Cardinals to address the QB spot for the future.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

with a proper line and targets, you will see a wonderful Carson Palmer. He is good, and he does know how to illustrate 4th quarter comebacks.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

So the fish let their only good offensive lineman walk out the free-agent door. Miami has, without a doubt, the worst front office in all of football. I simply do not understand how a major-market team can suck so consistently for so long. They're like the anti-Packers.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

could be worse, Jerry Jones could own the team
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:could be worse, Jerry Jones could own the team
You said Jerry Jones because Al Davis is dead!

The more I read about what the Cardinals new coach Bruce Arians is doing in the off-season, the more I think that he actually knows what he's doing. I'm cautiously optimistic about a two-year turnaround for the team. I'll feel even better if Arizona picks up a couple offensive lineman in the first 4 rounds of the draft.

The Cardinals worked out Matt Barkley from USC a few days ago even after picking up Palmer. If they take him with the their second round pick I'd forgive them as that would be a value pick, but I'd be disappointed if they took him at #11. Leinart (fail) and now Palmer were both USC QBs...feels like bad karma to take yet another USC QB. I'd rather see them take a 6-7th round QB or none at all this year.

I mentioned before that using a UK IP address via VPN, I subscribed to the equivalent of NFL Ticket for Online. I get every NFL game live but on top of that, I also have year round access to every regular season and playoff game from the past 4 years. You can play the games in condensed mode (100% action, no delays between plays) which makes a full NFL game about 30 minutes. I went back and watched several Oakland games to see how Carson Palmer played. I'm not sure how he ended up with the second highest yardage total in Raider history because they seemed to run the ball mostly with McFadden. Palmer looked mostly solid, there were plenty of dropped passes, but that's not to say that Palmer didn't blow some throws as well. What I mostly learned is that I'll probably move McFadden up a few slots on my RB FF draft board for next year.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I think Aaron Rogers called Jerry Jones to thank him for giving Romo 55 million. That pushed his price tag way up for the Packers.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hey Bubba,

The Cardinals are @ Green Bay for the first pre season game.

Week 1 (Aug. 8-11): @ Green Bay Packers

I expect a full report on their performance!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Think he'll get a job at a fast food joint?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1630 ... nn-mathieu

The Cardinals drafted the "Honey Badger" out of LSU in round 3, known to have substance abuse issues in the past.

He got a proper welcome from one of the head shops in town!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Tebow signs with New England Patriots

After a tough season on Broadway with the New York Jets, Tim Tebow is getting another chance in the NFL with one of New York's biggest rivals -- the New England Patriots.

The Patriots announced the signing of the quarterback on Tuesday morning, but did not release details of his contract.
O.M.G. Whhhyyyyy?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

They just released their 3rd string QB...and setup Tebow's contract in a "no cost" manner. He didn't get any guaranteed money or a signing bonus. So he either makes the roster or he don't, and New England won't get hurt either way.

Now, if your question more deals with the abilities and wtf will he do for them...I couldn't answer that one. I know Bellichick is good buds with Urban Meyer...so perhaps a phone call was made on behalf of ole Timmay?
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I can't understand (media garbage aside) why someone would NOT want Tebow on their team. He is not a good pocket QB and doesn't do well with running through his progressions...and is not very accurate. However, he would make a great H-back that would also have the option to step back off the line to take quick bubble screens and be able to run it as an option play from out wide. He is a very good football player even if he is a below average passer.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:O.M.G. Whhhyyyyy?
What kind of a Patriot fan questions Master Belichick?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cardinal WR runs 25 Mph on a treadmill.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1686 ... -treadmill

I would have fallen right on my face.

Don't know if he'll make the team but a 4.19 40 is pretty damn fast...like 2nd fastest time ever in the NFL. He's 29 and a rookie. I wonder if he can catch. At least maybe he can stretch the field allowing for some inside completions to Fitz who will will be in the slot this season. There's a lot of people that seem to be high on Michael Floyd. He didn't do much as a rookie but did come on a bit at the end of the season.

Cautiously optimistic that the Cardinals can be competitive. They did a lot of work on the OL and got a real QB.

NFC West looks like the toughest division this year. All four teams have nasty defenses. I haven't checked to see which other division gets stuck playing them this year.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm renewing my NFL Gamepass sub for this year. It exceeded my expectations last year.

The price above is in British Pounds. Conversion: Season Plus = ~200.00 US and Season Pass = ~$150.00

You can actually choose to pay in U.S. dollars but I already took the screenshot! Hmmm it's 159.99 US...if you pay in Pounds it converts to $151.00, you'd have to see what the currency conversion charge from your bank would be. For the Season Plus, Pound/US both = about $199. You can also find 10% off links for new users here:

http://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=97253

Scroll to end of thread and maybe you'll get an active one.

Plenty of NFL Gamepass discussion on the NFL UK forum here:

http://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

See important *** note below about using VPN before buying anything.

I have the Season Plus which gives me year round access to every NFL game over the past four seasons, either condensed 30 minute 100% action versions, full versions, or coaches film on every game, including pre season, playoffs and Superbowl.

You also get year round access to the NFL Channel as well as the Redzone channel on Sundays.

I use it to study players for my upcoming Fantasy Drafts but you can easily go with the cheaper Season Pass which gives you Pre Season and regular season games.

Last year, I would put 4 games on my side screen and watch whatever local game playing on my main screen.

***You can only sign up and use this service if you have a VPN service that allows you to have an IP outside of the United States. I've used Astrill for years now and it works great but I'm sure other VPNs will work as well.***

The only blackouts are if you use a UK or Irish IP. It will black out whichever NFL games are playing locally in England. To get around that, just switch to some other non U.S. country IP (extremely easy using Astrill)

I don't subscribe to Cable and don't want DirecTV so this is my way to get all NFL Games. Arizona has sold pout every game the past 4 + years so local blackouts aren't a problem but if they are for your home team, this would get around that as well.

As for quality. Streaming a single game looks very good. Streaming 4 games does drop the quality. When you have 4 games going, you just need to click on the game you want to hear the audio for and it's instant. You can split screen 2 or 3 games as well if you want to up the bandwidth for each game a bit. If you zoom into one of the split screen games, the quality automatically adjusts over a few seconds.

This service is directly from the NFL so is very reliable. You access the games and subscribe here (can't access if have U.S. IP):

https://gamepass.nfl.com/

Here's an Ad demonstrating its features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPpv975mpXM

You can pause/rewind Live games just like you would with a DVR.

New for 2013:
Game Search
New in 2013, you can now search an archived game to see all plays involving a specified player or type of play such as “Sack.” You can further limit the search results by using the new search filters to see either Big Plays or just Scoring plays by player or type of play. You can then watch all the plays matching the search criteria in chronological order as they occurred in that game. This feature will launch in time for the regular season.
NFL's deal with Microsoft on Xbox coming through soon maybe:
Game Console
There are currently no NFL Game Pass apps for game consoles supported. While we cannot guarantee any apps on game consoles for 2013, we are currently investigating offering an NFL app for the Xbox. Stay tuned for more updates on its availability throughout the Offseason.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wow, if you live in the Netherlands, NFL Gamepass is free. (Season Plus above minus $200.00) You don't even need to log in to watch.

I just switched to a Netherlands IP and sure enough I can get all the past games and NFL Network, plus Netherlands won't have the local UK games blacked out.

Anyone with VPN that can access a Netherlands IP, give it a try:

https://gamepass.nfl.com/

You can get Astrill for like $7/month if you need a VPN service that has good bandwidth. I think I pay $38 for six month chunks of service.
Netherlands people will see:

*NFL Game Pass is being offered for free in your territory. The availability of free access to NFL Game Pass is not guaranteed and may be terminated by the NFL at any time. Certain restrictions apply. NFL Game Pass is only available to users located outside the United States, Mexico, Bermuda, Antigua, the Bahamas, and any U.S. territories, possessions and commonwealths. For a full description of device-specific features, requirements, limitations, and other information, visit our FAQ.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If you don't want to mess with getting a VPN to watch all NFL games live for free that I mentioned above:

Anyone can get all NFL games for $100.00 this year (buy Madden 25th Anniversary Edition)

You don't need DirecTV to take advantage of this. Read the article below:

http://kotaku.com/the-cheapest-way-to-w ... 1041559197
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Tomorrow night, Packers vs Cardinals. I almost got a ticket for this game but opted to let the Wife go instead. Her parents are going and one of her aunts backed out. So I'll be watching it on TV. So many injuries across the league already.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Tomorrow night, Packers vs Cardinals. I almost got a ticket for this game but opted to let the Wife go instead. Her parents are going and one of her aunts backed out. So I'll be watching it on TV. So many injuries across the league already.

I'm liking my team after watching the first pre-season game. Arizona seems to play well against the Packers. Bubba, did you know the Cardinals re-signed Carlos Dansby? (he's the guy that intercepted Aaron Rogers in the playoffs a few years back to win the game in OT)

Some observations:

-Carson Palmer looks sharp

-AZ has three solid WRs in Fitz, Malcom Floyd and Andre Roberts but Hawkins and Brown both looked outstanding in their battle for the 4th spot.

-AZ O-Line looked 100x's better than it has in the recent past.

-Honey Badger is the real deal. He looks to have gotten the message about off-field issues and if that keeps up, he was a steal in the 3rd round.

-Running game is still suspect. Didn't get to see Rashard Mendenhall this game. Rookie Stephan Taylor out of Stanford can move the chains and is a good between the tackles type runner that's hard to bring down but he has turtle speed. At best, this year the running game may be more reliable but not flashy at all...which may be OK as long as the air game plays out as expected.

-All of the free agents and first 4 rounds of rookies looked good in the game. The new GM Steve Keim may know what he's doing.

-Last year's Coach of the year (from Indianapolis) Bruce Arians also looks to have the respect of his players. He appears calm but you can tell he won't stand for bone headed penalties or delay of games, etc. It also looks like he likes to throw the ball down field a ton.

From ESPN:
ARIZONA'S DEFENSE MEANS BUSINESS: With a goal-line stand on the first drive and takeaways on the next two, the Cardinals' defense showed that it isn't just more aggressive this season, it's downright nasty. Like eat quarterbacks for lunch nasty. Three sacks, one forced fumble and one interception, and that was on top of limiting Green Bay and its potent offense to a measly 223 yards.
A shut out of Green Bay in pre-season isn't anything close to the regular season but I'm drinking the cool-aid on AZ's defense. They were solid last year and with the Addition of Tyrann Mathieu (Honey Badger) and an actual outside rushing threat with John Abraham (from Atlanta, he got a sack/forced fumble the first play he was in the game), solid looking rookie LB Kevin Minter joining, Dockett, Calais Campbell, Patrick Peterson and Daryl Washington (after 4 game suspension), I think AZ will be a top 5 defense this year. In fact, the NFC West may have three teams ranked in the top five defenses this year (Seattle, S.F, and AZ)...and St Louis D isn't far behind.

----

In non AZ news, Tom Brady looked really good in his first pre-season game. I don't think losing Hernandez and Gronk will hurt NE at all. Brady is way too good at finding targets whatever position they play. RB Shane Vereen will have a huge receiving year.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I only got to watch about the first hour of the game. It is preseason but there has to be some concern with how the Packers are playing. I really like how Vince Young looked. He only had a limited amount of time due to just starting and only having a few days in camp. I was disappointed that the kickers didn't get a chance. I wanted to see Crosby redeem himself or burst into flames.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

My fantasy team after the live draft (8-team league):

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Close opening game so far.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

That's pretty funny. The production van is gonna get some high fives from Collinsworth
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm not sure that the Packers would have won that game if the call had been made correctly or not. I do know that it would be a different game altogether. The Packers were really pathetic as far as covering Boldin. It was embarrassing to watch. It was like the Reggie Wayne thing from last year.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

you think your packers were embarrassing...try being a steelers fan today!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The Cardinals lost respectably in the last few seconds as usual!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Kluden wrote:you think your packers were embarrassing...try being a steelers fan today!
The longer things go poorly there, the more convinced I am that Tomlin is not the guy for the job. Once all the Cowher era leaders left, things have seriously deteriorated.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Kilmoll...the only question mark I have outside of players...is Haley. I hated on Arians all the time...but Haley has me way more upset. I knew they would be bad this year just based on players (or lack there of) on offense. But I didn't expect what was on the field Sunday.

I'll be at the game in two sundays with some Bears friends. Pregame bet will be, winners buy...I plan on drinking for free.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Haley is a pretty shitty coach. Aside from failure, his biggest accomplishment is feuding with McFailDaniels
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I think Haley has a great gameplan. Watch what they did to the Patriots with that same offensive philosophy. The problem is that Tomlin has not given Roethlisberger the come to Jesus meeting in private. He cannot last a year with that offensive line while trying to launch deep balls and running around for his life. Quick hitting short passes and actually committing to the run would open up deep passes off of play fakes and pump fakes. I don't know why that is so fucking hard for that stupid group of egomaniacs to understand. You can watch and see that he refuses to buy into that and it has infected the entire offense.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Levi Brown Traded from Arizona Cardinals to Pittsburgh Steelers
wtf? No one can be that desperate for a tackle. This is the best news the Cardinals have had in awhile. Enjoy the 4.75M you pay this stiff.

The trade was for a lower round draft pick. I think the Cardinals would have given a draft pick just to get rid of him. Steelers had the 68th ranked tackle and are replacing him with the 60th ranked tackle in the league. He can't play any worse than he has so it's possible he improves a little.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Obviously, I'm biased, but change of scenery has revived a shitload of careers in many sports...so wouldn't be surprised if Levi turned his game back up to 2010-2011 levels.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Hey Bubba,

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:Obviously, I'm biased, but change of scenery has revived a shitload of careers in many sports...so wouldn't be surprised if Levi turned his game back up to 2010-2011 levels.
It's possible but I don't think so in Levi Brown's case. He hasn't been the same since returning from is season ending his injury last season. He was never great but he might get back to mediocre over time.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Leonaerd wrote:Hey Bubba,

Hahahaha well you guys did pretty much give it to us with Calvin Johnson out of the mix. Though we struggled quite a bit even with him out. Maybe next year it will be 1-23 instead of 0-24 in Wisconsin.

She's hot btw.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Damn Winnow, I thought the Packers O-line was sucky but the Cardinals really sucked. What makes it bad for me is that I picked up Ellington as one of my RBs.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Damn Winnow, I thought the Packers O-line was sucky but the Cardinals really sucked. What makes it bad for me is that I picked up Ellington as one of my RBs.
Ouch. Once Arizona lost their #1 OL draft pick to a broken leg, in pre-season, I knew it would be an ugly season for the O-Line again. Ellington is going to be good. really hit and miss this season though so can't count on for fantasy points.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

btw, at least this block on Sherman made the night a little more tolerable!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

In updating its signature DVOA stat with Week 9 results, Football Outsiders revealed that Arizona's defense now rates tops in the league at -19.1%. The stat measures situation-specific performance and adjusts for strength of opponent. According to FO, the Cardinals have played the 4th-toughest schedule of opposing offenses so far. The Cards sit tied for 10th in scoring defense through 8 games and are allowing just 3.5 yards per carry (3rd best in the league) and 6.9 yards per pass attempt (10th). We respect the unique analysis that FO does. We knew that Arizona was playing well on D this season but didn't realize just how well.
I'm not familiar with the DVOA "signature stat" but it's nice to see someone has Arizona rated as the #1 defense. They're fun to watch.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Lance Moore is now my new favorite Football player

Hingle McCringleberry - Penn State.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1904 ... n-after-td
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

NFC West

Seattle 13-3
49ers 12-4
Cardinals 10-6
Rams 7-9

Toughest Division this year. Three of the best D's in the league with the Rams having the best 4th place division record in the NFL. Cardinals went 8-2 to finish the season. 4 of their losses were to division opponents. Beat the 12-4 Panthers and 11-5 Colts, Lost to playoff bound Saints and Eagles on the road.

Good year. It took the first half of the season to gel. Things looking up. Will be getting first round OL back that was lost for entire season back and Tyrone Matthew who was candidate for Rookie of the year. Michael Floyd came into his own and the RB future looks bright with Andre Ellington. Need to draft a QB to work behind Carson Palmer next year. Palmer threw for 4000+ yards but threw a lot of picks. Give him one more year but groom a replacement.

Gotta like Bruce Arians. Colts 11-5 last year as a stand-in coach and 10-6 first year with the Cardinals that were expected to finish with a losing record and the bottom of the division.

It's going to be another hell of a year in the NFC West in 2014. Rams were expected to be better this year but lost their QB. They still beat the playoff bound Saints and Colts.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The Green Bay Packers' playoff game Sunday against San Francisco could be one of the coldest in NFL history, rivaling the subzero temperatures of the 1967 Ice Bowl, so fans are taking plenty of precautions.

Temperatures at Lambeau Field are expected to be a frigid minus 2 degrees when the Packers and 49ers kick off at 3:40 p.m. Central time. By the fourth quarter it'll be a bone-chilling minus 7, with wind chills approaching minus 30, according to the National Weather Service
Cold!

Bubba, you going?
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Tickets were easy to find but I had no desire to sit in that cold. Sucks we lost but oh well.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

American football isn't just popular in America. It's also an attraction in Austria, whose PULS 4 network concocted this Game of Thrones-style introduction for the two conference championships the NFL plays today. It beats Cleatus, that doofus Fox Sports robot, by a mile, er, several kilometers.

PULS 4 also went American-style with its pregame coverage, too, offering some eight hours of it yesterday. The games begin at 3 p.m. EST with New England at Denver, followed by San Francisco at Seattle at 6:30.
Why is Austria's NFL playoff intro so cool?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsmQ2uwItKU

The birthplace of Hitler and Arnold has no business upping the U.S. when it comes to football intros. I'm surprised youtube hasn't taken it down as a copywrite violation or something. Good work Austrians.

Kap and Brady look the part in that commercial.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Denver vs Seattle. Talk about a bleh Super Bowl.

I hate Seattle but I prefer they win instead of Denver. I'm already sick of hearing how great Manning is.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »