New direction for the US Men's Soccer program?

What do you think about the sports world?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

New direction for the US Men's Soccer program?

Post by Boogahz »

Couple years later than expected, but Klinsmann named new US national team head coach:

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15277785,00.html
The US Soccer Federation has signed German Jürgen Klinsmann as its new national team head coach. The former star striker and Germany team coach will have the task of helping the US qualify for the 2014 World Cup.

Former German star player and manager Jürgen Klinsmann has been named the new head coach of the US men's national team.

Klinsmann has lived in southern California since 1998 and becomes the first foreign-born US coach to hold the position in 16 years. He takes over the post from Bob Bradley, who was sacked on Thursday after more than four years in the job.

"We are excited to have Jürgen as the head coach of our Men's National Team," said US Soccer President Sunil Gulati.

"He is a highly accomplished player and coach with the experience and knowledge to advance the program. Jürgen has had success in many different areas of the game and we look forward to the leadership he will provide on and off the field."

The 47-year-old Klinsmann will assume the task of steering the US through the CONCACAF regional football grouping in order to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

"I am proud and honored to be named the head coach of the US men's national team," said Klinsmann following his appointment. "I would like to thank the US Soccer Federation for the opportunity, and I'm excited about the challenge ahead. I am looking forward to bringing the team together for our upcoming match against Mexico and starting on the road toward qualifying for the 2014 FIFA World Cup."

Limited success

The former star striker led Germany to the 2006 World Cup semi-finals as team coach. His time at the helm of Die Mannschaft was notable for his introduction of young blood into the national team.
Following the World Cup, he was appointed head coach at German giants Bayern Munich, helping the club reach the quarterfinals of the 2008-09 UEFA Champions League where they lost to eventual champions Barcelona.

As a tactician, Klinsmann has been known to favor an offensive style of football, attracting criticism from within his native Germany for supposedly ignoring defensive tactics.

Klinsmann's first match in charge of the US national team will be against Mexico on August 10 in Philadelphia.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: New direction for the US Men's Soccer program?

Post by Boogahz »

Klinsmann names his first roster
[U.S. SOCCER] New U.S. coach Juergen Klinsmann has named a 22-player roster for the USA's friendly against Mexico in Philadelphia on Wednesday (9 pm ET, ESPN2/Univision).

The roster includes players from leagues in eight countries MLS (7), Germany (6), Mexico (4), England (1), France (1), Denmark (1), Scotland (1) and Portugal (1).

The only uncapped player is 20-year-old D.C. United goalkeeper Bill Hamid, who will serve as understudy to veteran Tim Howard.

DaMarcus Beasley, who played in the 2002 and 2006 World Cups and is trying to revive his career with Mexico's Puebla after spending last season on Hannover 96's bench, gets his first call-up since before the 2010 World Cup.

Among the players Klinsmann called up who seemed to have gone off predecessor Bob Bradley's radar are Mexican-Americans Jose Torres, Edgar Castillo and Michael Orozco. Torres had not been called in since playing 45 minutes at the 2010 World Cup. Castillo (as a second-half sub in 2009 vs. Denmark) and Orozco (90 minutes vs. Trinidad & Tobago in 2008) played one game under Bradley.

The six German-based players include Michael Bradley, the son of former U.S. coach Bob Bradley, and two German-raised players, Timmy Chandler and
Jermaine Jones, who both made their U.S. debuts under Bob Bradley.

"One of the goals of the roster for this game and moving forward is to create competition at each position," said Klinsmann. "There are many players who are established as well as many players who will get opportunities, and we want there to be a healthy contest for spots on the roster. We will get a good look at where each player is as quickly as we can during the short time in camp, and we will finish with an exciting game against Mexico."

GOALKEEPERS
Bill Hamid (D.C. United) 0 caps/0 goals
Tim Howard (Everton/ENG) 65/0

DEFENDERS
Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne/FRA) 93/12
Edgar Castillo (Club America/MEX) 1/0
Timmy Chandler (FC Nuremberg/GER) 2/0
Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96/GER) 72/2
Clarence Goodson (Brondby/DEN) 24/3
Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis/MEX) 1/0
Heath Pearce (Chivas USA) 33/0
Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls) 6/0

MIDFIELDERS
Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake) 12/1
Michael Bradley (Borussia M’gladbach/GER) 59/9
Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt/GER) 31/2
Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers/SCO) 25/1
Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04/GER) 11/1
Brek Shea (FC Dallas) 2/0
Jose Torres (Pachuca/MEX) 11/0

FORWARDS
Freddy Adu (Benfica/POR) 17/2
Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls) 10/2
DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla/MEX) 93/17
Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt/GER) 6/2
Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy) 136/46
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Seemed like a pretty good 2nd half. The subs really contributed, and I wouldn't be shocked to see some competition for starting spots. The movement in the attacks was excellent, even though the Mexican defense was pretty much understrength with Marquez out. You could tell that they had only a few days practice together, but there is some definite potential. I hope Klinsi's enthusiasm rubs off on the team. I really liked him as a coach at Bayern, and his positive attitude about everything has always impressed me.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I was at the game yesterday. I know a bit about soccer but not a ton, so my observations are pretty amateur. Things I noticed were:

Holy christ the US was terrible for the first 20 minutes. We were still getting outclassed for the rest of the first half and at points during the second, but the first 20 minutes were horrific. Our offense in the first half was embarrassing. We didn't seem to be capable of anything other than slowly moving backward until Howard got the ball.

Edson Buddle played terribly. He didn't make anything happen and misplayed most of the opportunities that people tried to give him. Things picked up a lot when Agudelo checked in. Given how bad our strikers traditionally are, I'm all for giving Agudelo a decent shot.

Jose Torres is tiny and seemed to be out of position a lot, but he has great ball skills and it's hard for me to imagine that we can't find a way to use him productively.

Brek Shea, obviously, was a monster. I know that the US has a ways to go before we have a shot at being a soccer power, but it's nice to have some promising guys like Shea and Agudelo and Chandler (who wasn't there) and even Adu (who didn't play).

Kyle Beckerman, who I had never heard of and apparently hasn't gotten much of a shot on the national team, seemed really nervous but managed to play a very solid but totally unspectacular game.

Mexico has some pretty impressive midfielders and a lot of fans. The game was far from sold out but the crowd was a lot of fun. Pretty close to evenly divided between Mexico and the USA. Fans on both sides were spirited but not hostile toward one another.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I thought the US played well defensively overall, the one corner kick notwithstanding. The subs definitely made a lot of difference, and things definitely started to click about 70 minutes in when Marquez came off. I love watching Mexico play lately. They're *everywhere* on the pitch. I wonder how much that swarming, physical play affects them later in the game when their legs are spent. I don't think we would have escaped with a draw had Chicharito been healthy and available.

All told, a fine start for Klinsmann, but it's hard to read much into this match given he's not even been on the job for a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see the next friendly, once he's had a little more time in the job. I'm anxious to see who his selections are for the squad next outing.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I liked the stripping of the names and assigned numbers. Basically showing everyone that they will have to earn their way onto the squad. I hope the next group continues to mix the new and old players in a productive manner.

That was definitely a weaker Mexico team, but that can be fairly normal in friendlies. Marquez is a cool guy and a stout defender. His substitution helped lead to the US attacks on a much weaker defense. I also agree that the Mexican strikers being gone helped keep things in the mid-field.

Easing off of the over-reliance on the long balls, and more focus on one-touch play helped keep Mexico on their heals. That's where the swarming really seemed to work against them. Getting a string of three passes generally allowed the US team to advance another 10 yards or so. Even against a weaker Mexican back line, this was some really good play. It was much more like the quicker games you would see from Euro teams, but not limited to those teams.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Bradley accomplished some good things, but I'm really excited about the new direction/coach. Very glad that Klinsmann has a focus on improving the youth development programs in the US through clubs, academies, colleges, etc. Aside from some stand-out college programs(Akron, etc) and club academies(Sounders, etc.), we really don't have a strong enough youth program.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Some changes made for the upcoming friendly matches:
Jurgen Klinsmann called up German youth international Fabian Johnson of Hoffenheim for the USA's friendlies against Costa Rica on Sept. 2 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. (ESPN2, ESPN3.com, Galavision, 8 p.m. PT, 11 p.m. ET) and Belgium four days later at Brussels' King Baudouin Stadium (ESPN, ESPN3.com, 2:30 p.m. ET). Three players who started in Klinsmann's debut match against Mexico were not called in: the Germany-based trio Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones and Edson Buddle.

Bradley is seeking a move from Borussia Moenchengladbach. Jones has not played for Schalke 04 since the Mexico game on Aug. 10. Buddle is playing but not starting for second division FC Ingolstadt.

Ricardo Clark, who came on as a late sub against Mexico, isn't playing for second division Eintracht Frankfurt and also did not get a call-up.

Recent Philadelphia Union signing Freddy Adu is the fifth player from Klinsmann's first squad who won't be headed to the HDC.

Besides the 23-year-old Johnson, born in Germany to an American serviceman, Timmy Chandler, another German-American, received a call-up. He was called up for the Mexico game but withdrew with the Bundesliga season about to start.

Clarence Goodson and Maurice Edu are also back after missing the Mexico game because of injuries.

Five other players not called up for the Mexico game will join the U.S. squad: Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht) and Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City).

U.S. ROSTER:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nuremberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Zach Loyd (FC Dallas), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)
MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Jose Torres (Pachuca)
FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I figured this was the most relevant thread to necro with this.

Landon Donovan Burns Jurgen Klinsmann, Gets Burned By Alexi Lalas
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The 24-year-old striker is now the only U.S. national team attacker playing in one of Europe's top four leagues.

By completing his move from AZ to Werder Bremen, Aron Johannsson has positioned himself as the American attacker to watch in Europe.

Johannsson's move should give the U.S national team something it has lacked since Jozy Altidore's ill-fated spell in the Premier League: an attacking player getting regular minutes in a top-four European league.

Like Altidore, Johannsson is making the jump from AZ to a bigger league in Europe. Unlike Altidore, Johannsson's career trajectory to this point has been on a steady incline – and his move appears to set him up with a great chance for success.

From Iceland to Denmark to the Netherlands, Johannsson has been able to score goals wherever he has played. At 24, he's at the perfect stage to take the next – and biggest – leap in his career.

There's little doubt that Johannsson will be handed a prominent role at Bremen, which finished a respectable 10th in the Bundesliga last campaign.

Much of the team's success last term was due to the goal-scoring exploits of striker Franco di Santo, who was sold to Schalke two weeks ago. The sale created an immediate and urgent need for Bremen, and Johannsson was the solution.

"Aron was our absolute number one choice and so we're very happy he decided to join us," Werder CEO Thomas Eichin said in a club release. "Aron fits here perfectly with his personality and his skills."

Johannsson was handed the No. 9 shirt, further underlying the importance he'll have for Bremen this coming season.

At Werder Bremen, head coach Viktor Skrypnyk performed well in his first season at the helm in 2014-15. As a former Bremen player and youth team coach, Skrypnyk has earned himself a bit of equity with the club. It's in complete contrast to the bombastic Paolo Di Canio, who brought Altidore to Sunderland in 2013 and was fired just one month into the American striker's debut season with the club.

After two miserable seasons at Sunderland, Altidore returned to Major League Soccer last year. It was a move that likely irked his Euro-centric national team head coach, with whom Altidore has butted heads in the past.

In contrast, Jurgen Klinsmann will likely be delighted with Johannsson's move to the Bundesliga, and it's easy to see why.

Not only is the Icelandic-American striker moving to Klinsmann's homeland, he's set himself apart from every other player in the U.S. national team player pool by becoming an offensive-minded player in a top-four European league. Every other player who was listed as a forward on the USA's Gold Cup roster plays in MLS (Clint Dempsey, Gyasi Zardes, Alan Gordon, Chris Wondolowski, Altidore).

It's a move that will give Johannsson a chance to earn an even more prominent role with his national team – especially with Altidore out of form and now facing an extended MLS suspension for kicking out at Jose Goncalves last weekend.

Everything is set up perfectly for Johannsson to succeed. If he takes his chance, Johannsson is positioned to become one of his club's – and country's – most important players