college football 2010

What do you think about the sports world?
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

college football 2010

Post by Leonaerd »

Go State!!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: college football 2010

Post by Bubba Grizz »

BADGER BADGER BADGER!!!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

My season in a nutshell:

http://www.firesteveaddazio.com/
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Leonaerd wrote:Go State!!
Which state?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

miir wrote:
Which state?
Local State! Not those assholes from University of State or State A&M!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

State City College?

I has a sad for Arkansas. :(
en kærlighed småkager
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Just think, the plow which did till dem hawgs into the earth was at Florida until he got a hot laptop and instead of just fessing up and playing dumb (the Chappelle line "I'm sorry, I didn't know I couldn't do that" applies) when the popo came knockin, he threw his worst pass as a Gator and sent that stolen property flying out his window. So instead of a very minor non-criminal university code of conduct violation, he gets to enjoy receiving stolen property, evidence tampering, and interfering with a police investigation charges which earn him his walking papers and a fun trip to a juco.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

miir wrote:
Which state?
Michigan State!!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

masteen wrote:Just think, the plow which did till dem hawgs into the earth was at Florida until he got a hot laptop and instead of just fessing up and playing dumb (the Chappelle line "I'm sorry, I didn't know I couldn't do that" applies) when the popo came knockin, he threw his worst pass as a Gator and sent that stolen property flying out his window. So instead of a very minor non-criminal university code of conduct violation, he gets to enjoy receiving stolen property, evidence tampering, and interfering with a police investigation charges which earn him his walking papers and a fun trip to a juco.
I have no idea what you said, and I am from the south. :P
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

To any Nebraska fans out there, have fun in the Big 10(12). I hope you enjoyed being 1-9 vs Texas Longhorns. Oooo must be so butt hurt. haha

I predict 10 years they leave Big 10 after Ohio St. screws them over and over. Lol @ Corn Aggies

:lol: :lol:
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Hey Masteen....we should have a drowning in beer party...you wear your FU gear, I'll wear my PSU gear!
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

This is all I thought of this week during UT's loss to Iowa State:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4

what a shit ass season. At least we beat Nebraska. God I think Baylor is gonna beat us. /shiver
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

It is like the team has been out of sync all season. Nebraska beat themselves :(
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Never seen an offense as fast as Oregon. They set up, snap an execute scary-fast.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, Oregon's offense is pretty damned impressive. Their overall team speed is scary. I have seen some fast teams at Texas, but the offense was never running that smoothly.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Canelek wrote:
masteen wrote:Just think, the plow which did till dem hawgs into the earth was at Florida until he got a hot laptop and instead of just fessing up and playing dumb (the Chappelle line "I'm sorry, I didn't know I couldn't do that" applies) when the popo came knockin, he threw his worst pass as a Gator and sent that stolen property flying out his window. So instead of a very minor non-criminal university code of conduct violation, he gets to enjoy receiving stolen property, evidence tampering, and interfering with a police investigation charges which earn him his walking papers and a fun trip to a juco.
I have no idea what you said, and I am from the south. :P
Cam Newton was a Gator until he bought a stolen laptop and tried to cover his tracks by throwing it out the window 5 minutes before the cops entered his room. They'd tracked the MAC address, so knew the machine was in his room, so all he did with his shovel pass was piss off the cops and destroy stolen property. I'm interested to see his Wonderlic scores, I bet he breaks Vince Young's stupidosity record.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

:lol: :lol:

Sub-3 for sure.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The Texas Offensive Coordinator is finally gone. Seems like it was only a couple years too late!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

was reading a ranking of the 35 bowl matchups and thought about who I would want to win in the top five on that list...not necessarilly who I think will actually win :P

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/conte ... ID=1161735

BCS Championship: Oregon over Auburn
Rose Bowl: TCU over Wisconsin
Orange Bowl: Stanford over Virginia Tech
Sugar Bowl: Arkansas over Ohio State
Cotton Bowl: LSU over Texas A&M
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Oregon
Wisconsin
Stanford
OSU
Aggie
Sooners

I'm pretty unexcited about Nebraska's bowl this year, a rematch with Washington at the Holiday bowl. Oh, and seriously, BCS automatic qualifications need to be contingent on not being shitty. There's no way an unranked 8-4 team like UConn should be playing in a top tier bowl game.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looks like a good year for the Pac Ten despite USC having issues.

ASU beat Arizona which made my year since they were crappy otherwise. Should be improved next year. Lost all of their games by just a handful of combined points and almost entire team is returning.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Why I think automatic BCS bids are bullshit:

Because a shitty ass team like Uconn can lock one up with a 7-4 record while a team like Boise State which goes what 25 straight regular seasons wins(screw the strength of schedule nonsense thats still impressive) loses one game because their kicker has an off night and gets totally shut out. I hope Oklahoma shits all over them.

Very nice too see a BCS championship game with two first timers.. was rather impressed with the top 5 all together..
Timmah.

Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Champ game: Good one. Two interesting teams that have been consistently good but haven't managed to break through. One of them gets to win a title. Auburn's got an interesting story and Oregon's the weird-ass northwestern Nike factory. I'll be happy with a championship for either.

Rose bowl: Also a good one. Two very good and very deserving teams. I always like to see the non-AQ teams get to play the biggest name programs, and so I almost wish that TCU got Ohio State here. But Wisconsin is probably a better football matchup and will probably make for a more fun game. The Rose-Bowl-Must-Take-The-AQ rule backfired in a big way this year. Wisconsin-Stanford would be a great game. But that rule exists basically because the Rose Bowl and it's associated conferences are greedy bastards, so fuck them.

Orange bowl: Another fun one. Stanford's had an incredible season. You know you're strong when the only team to beat you is playing in the championship game. Virginia Tech has had an incredible last 11 games. I mean, losing to James Madison is without any doubt completely ridiculous and inexcusable. But 11 straight wins is still a good streak. One of these teams will come out of this game looking very strong and might finish #3 in the country.

Sugar bowl: Eh. This is a perfectly good game but nothing about it compels me. It's nice watching Arkansas progress, I guess. And Pryor is worth watching, and the sweater vest is an institution. It's a good game, it just doesn't really feel like anything much is on the line.

Fiesta bowl: Well. Too bad South Florida didn't pull out a close one on Saturday. I'm not saying that West Virginia is a worthy BCS participant either, but at least they're (1) way better than UConn at this point in time (2) have more national cachet due to recent successes and (3) have a better record. Plus it gives Oklahoma a chance to avenge an unceremonious BCS beating a few years back. Instead we've got UConn and it's just not interesting at all. Nobody will even care if they win. It'll just be like "oh, UConn won that game? That's surprising."
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Urban Meyer resigns, for real this time. At least this way we get to fire Addazio instead of just demoting him.

Mike Leach for Gator HBC in 2011!!!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm much looking forward to the PSU v. FU game now because of Coach Urban's announcement. That bowl game has meaning now, and it will probably be one of the best this year...at least I can hope for a great game. I actually liked Coach Meyer..but yes, this will be a boon for the gators, because their offensive coordinator is a fraud, which means he'll be in the NFL next year!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

masteen wrote:Urban Meyer resigns, for real this time. At least this way we get to fire Addazio instead of just demoting him.

Mike Leach for Gator HBC in 2011!!!
What's the word down there on who your new coach will be? Everyone here is saying it's Dan Mullen, and that he'll be gone before Meechigan plays Mississippi State in the Gator Bowl.

I wouldn't be opposed to that.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I love all the articles claiming "The BCS worked". If you take away the Rose Bowl equation before the BCS agreement, then this year the Pre-BCS system would have worked. That does not mean it is a good system, they just got lucky. I also think it is insulting to TCU to claim it worked. Would you rather have this bowl system invite every conference champion and the highest ranked remaining BCS teams?

Champions

Florida State
Oklahoma
Connecticut
UCF
Miami, OH
Wisconsin
Auburn
Florida Int
Nevada
TCU
Oregon

BCS Qualifiers

Stanford
Michigan State
Ohio State
Arkansas
Boise State
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Super excited that Oregon pulled off a huge season. The matchup against Auburn should be solid as long as the Ducks don't flail so hard like they have in the first half a lot of the season. Although I can't complain about their sick second half statistics. Auburn is straight-up solid and will pose a challenge. Expect some points to be put up by both teams.

Sugar Bowl - Arkansas had been pretty much crap for the last few years. I thought their high water mark was losing to the Gators in the SEC Championship a few years ago. Ryan Mallet and crew has proven that they can actually pull this one off, but Ohio State is no slouch.
en kærlighed småkager
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Sylvus,

The short list is as follows:
Mullen
Leach
Chip Kelly
Gus Malzhan (OC for Auburn)

Leach is available, knows Urban and Foley, and runs the kind of offense spoiled Gator brats like myself demand. However, he's possibly a bigger pain in the ass than Spurrier.

Mullen knows the program, most of the players, but I don't know how much we'd have to pay Miss St. to get him, and I think he and Foley do not get along.

Chip Kelly also runs a great offense (just how great is up for debate until we see it tested against a decent Auburn D), and I know UF can fill a bigger truck full of cash money than those bumpkins in Oregon. I guess it depends how much he likes white trash mommas versus big-butted latinas.

Malzhan is a bit of a wild card, as he has no collegiate head coach experience, and while he's done well at both his OC jobs, it's still a big fucking jump from being a coordinator to being the boss, especially at a big program like Florida.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I think the Gators have to hire Mullen. None of the other choices are reasonable.

Leach: His biggest problem is the way he left Tech, in a haze of accusations regarding player safety and lawsuits and recriminations. Plus he never quite managed to raise Tech above the gimmick offense reputation (no crime there). Had he managed to win either a Big 12 title or avoid locking concussed players in sheds, I'd say he'd be a much stronger candidate, but he didn't. He's going to have to go next to a mid-level BCS program. I thought that he'd end up at Maryland next season after they sucked this year and fired the Fridge, but it turns out UMD did well. But he's going to have to go to a program around that level. Too big a risk for a school like Florida.

Chip Kelly: Way too risky. Florida is not so clearly a better job than Oregon that you can be confident he'll jump. Oregon can recruit from California easily and nationally without too much trouble. I doubt that Florida can blow Oregon away financially-- Oregon is basically Nike U., and their athletic department can pony up as much cash as Florida can without a problem. Kelly's already built his dream powerhouse and would be taking a major risk going somewhere else to try to do the same thing he's already accomplished. Shooting for Kelly means Florida would have to wait til after the title game, risk rejection, and maybe end up missing out on other good candidates. Not worth it.

Malzahn: Yeah, you put your finger on it. Great coach, but probably not tested enough for Florida yet. His next step is probably also a mid-to-upper-level BCS program, but not a powerhouse like UF. I guess if UF is really convinced that he's that good, go for it. But Mullen still feels like an equally-good-but-also-safer option.

Mullen has everything Florida needs-- talent, familiarity with the program, pedigree, major conference experience and success. Foley needs to get over himself and not overthink it.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I do need to point out that both Douchebag Senior and Douchebad Junior have recanted many of their allegations when questioned under oath about the Dread Pirate Leach.
BleacherReport wrote:In the video, James the younger records his terrifying experience confined in a dark electrical room—which it was later revealed he was specifically told NOT to enter—adjacent to the spacious, air conditioned and sufficiently lit media room where he was at no time locked in.
In other words, Pony Boy put himself in that closet, made a SKEERY video, and then sent it along to Diddy's PR attack dogs to smear the coach in the media. This is the same PR firm that switfboated John Kerry.

ESPN is also on the hook for reporting information that came directly from Craig James without vetting it.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Muschamp? Didn't really see that one coming, but then again that whole "head coach in waiting" thing never really made sense either.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I agree on Leach, Masteen. Sadly not sure how much it matters in terms of his future job prospects.

Muschamp, huh? That's a pretty reasonable hire I guess.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, I can understand why he would be hired, I just did not see it coming. He has the SEC roots, he's probably been ready for the head coach role for at least a couple years now, and Mack Brown has not shown any signs of being ready to step aside soon. There has been some mention that Florida might have been on his "dream job" list in his Texas contract, which is okay as well. Just blind-sided after all of the other (4 or 5 now) coaching positions that will be changing before next season. I think I saw mention of the (recent) Miami coach coming in as OC. We'll see what happens though. I am guessing this will not be the first surprise of the off-season....since the Texas season IS over :P
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

New Big Ten logo/division names

http://www.bigten.org/newlogo/

Terrible!
- Ash
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

That can't be right...its awful! a child came up with that shit...
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

That seems to be the universal feedback, Kluden.
- Ash
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

The Legends and the Leaders division? What the fuck Big Ten...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

lol! Is that really the logo? They're taking that Big 10 (11) seriously...isn't it twelve now? Why make the "T" loo so damn ugly with two "1"s when there's 12 teams now.

...it would be much improved if they made it "THE Big Ten"in honor of OhioSU and then put little team stickers all over the logo, adding more on good years and taking some off during bad years.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Winnow wrote:lol! Is that really the logo? They're taking that Big 10 (11) seriously...isn't it twelve now? Why make the "T" loo so damn ugly with two "1"s when there's 12 teams now.
You're describing the old logo for when there were 11 teams. Click the link called "New Logos" on Ash's link (or just click this link) to get to the new, even more awful logo.

"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Twelve teams in the Big Ten is even more retarded than MLB's World Series.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

They should just rename it all together. This is upsetting...as are the division names.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Hard to rename the oldest conference in college football; it has a lot of history behind it.

That said, the division names are fucking retarded. Not only did they name them with the same first couple of letters (how do you abbreviate? "Leg" and "Lea"? Gay!), Michigan's fight song includes the term "Leaders", yet they're in the "Legends" division.

I would have much preferred they just go with East and West or something (even though they aren't split on purely geographical lines). Hopefully someone will realize what a poor decision this was and change it before it's too late.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The Legends are all has-beens, and the Leaders are the future....right?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

They are all irrelevant. 8)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I think the name of this thread should be changed to college football 2012
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I think you'll have to do better than that.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Sylvus wrote:I would have much preferred they just go with East and West or something (even though they aren't split on purely geographical lines). Hopefully someone will realize what a poor decision this was and change it before it's too late.
:vv_yeahthat:
- Ash
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »