NFL News/Discussion 2010

What do you think about the sports world?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

NFL News/Discussion 2010

Post by Canelek »

So it's March 2010, can we get a new thread going?
Yup!
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Re: NFL News/Discussion 2010

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Brady Quinn

lolz
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Don't you know? The NFL has changed its dynamic from larger, more durable Quarterbacks to "handsome".

This is win-win.
en kærlighed småkager
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

WTF is with Roethlisburger? Is the guy really a shithead rapist bastard, or is he just really stupid in where he hangs and who he hangs with? The Steelers should have written into his contract that he had to keep someone with him at all times to keep him away from women who are going to accuse him of rape... Damn. Maybe that motorcycle wipeout a couple years ago did more damage than initially thought...

p.s. if he's guilty of raping either one of those women, I hope he spends many many years in a cell being someone else's bitch
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I don't think he is a rapist....I think he is just a fucking moron who needs to stay out of bars and grow up. This time around he actually DID have people with him...including 2 police officers from Pennsylvania. From what I have been reading there is a chance the Rooney's will cut ties with him if this turns out to even be close to a real assault. If they find real evidence my gut says he will be gone no matter what a trial may say. You can't make stupid decisions like this when you are paid $20 million to get teams to Super Bowls.

The first chick is a guaranteed wack job....from the Myspace page this new one had up, I have a sneaking hunch she was not the sweet innocent good girl she is being made out to be. She was underage and evidently was drinking in the bar that night somehow as well.....I think they should put them both on a lie detector or possibly waterboard them.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Why does the fact that his accuser was underage and drunk indicate that she wasn't assaulted? I would think that a drunk rowdy 20 year old in a club is at greater risk of assault than a 20 year old who is drinking a cup of tea as she finalizes her chemistry assignment before bed.

Setting aside the underage thing for a minute, women have a right to get rowdy and have a good time WITHOUT being sexually assaulted.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It doesn't mean she WAS assaulted either. If there was real evidence of some type of wrongdoing they would have arrested him at the scene. They have been portraying her as the type of girl who would never do anything remotely like this....when the Myspace page she had sure gave the opposite impression.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If there's no way this will negate the outcome of Superbowl XLIII, I'm not interested.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

DENVER—In the first of what is expected to be a long series of gaffes with his new team, quarterback Brady Quinn bungled a statement to Broncos coaches, players, and fans Tuesday by mistakenly declaring that the Brody Qualls era had begun in Denver. "I, Brody Qualls, am so excited to take over the Cardvern Dronkos," said Quinn, whose remarks were periodically interrupted by his teeth accidentally striking the microphone. "I'm ready to leave this team all the way. I'm not promising anything, but I will do my darnest to be the next Don Elwood, if that be the will of my lord and saboteur Jesus Price." Quinn, who also lost a shoe during the address, said that he was slightly afraid of the mascot but admitted that such a huge angry fish would really intimate the team's opponents.
en kærlighed småkager
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

It doesn't mean she WAS assaulted either.
Quite correct.
If there was real evidence of some type of wrongdoing they would have arrested him at the scene.
Not correct at all. If there was indisputable evidence of a serious crime, they would have. But it generally behooves police departments to do their due diligence before they arrest a wealthy celebrity with high-powered lawyers and a phalanx of fans and media tracking his moves.
They have been portraying her as the type of girl who would never do anything remotely like this....when the Myspace page she had sure gave the opposite impression.
Do anything like what? Get sexually assaulted? How did her MySpace page give the impression that she's the sort of girl who would do anything like get sexually assaulted?
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sueven wrote:
Do anything like what? Get sexually assaulted? How did her MySpace page give the impression that she's the sort of girl who would do anything like get sexually assaulted?
Are you being serious or just argumentative? There was sexual contact made....that part is a given. People were claiming she would never go into a bar and willingly have sexual contact. I am telling you that from the pics she had up on her MySpace page that it DID look like she was the kind of girl that would and has had some incidents in bars that she would not really want her parents to know about.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

The critical thing here is if the "sexual contact" was consensual. Whether she is a party-skank or not is irrelevant.

Steelers should have picked up Derek Anderson, hah!
en kærlighed småkager
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Exactly, Cane. Who gives a shit if she's "the kind of girl who would go into a bar and willingly have sexual contact?" The question is whether she willingly had THIS contact. Just because a woman is willing to hook up with one guy does not mean that she's willing to hook up with someone else. Being slutty does not rob a woman of autonomy over her own body.

This is precisely the problem with the cultural discourse about rape-- we're sitting here analyzing the character of the victim. Meanwhile, any analysis of the character of the alleged rapist is off limits because he's innocent until proven guilty, as if that's relevant. The victim isn't entitled to the same presumption, apparently, even though she hasn't even been accused of anything.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Good to see that they finally got rid of the old Overtime rules!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sueven wrote:Exactly, Cane. Who gives a shit if she's "the kind of girl who would go into a bar and willingly have sexual contact?" The question is whether she willingly had THIS contact. Just because a woman is willing to hook up with one guy does not mean that she's willing to hook up with someone else. Being slutty does not rob a woman of autonomy over her own body.

This is precisely the problem with the cultural discourse about rape-- we're sitting here analyzing the character of the victim. Meanwhile, any analysis of the character of the alleged rapist is off limits because he's innocent until proven guilty, as if that's relevant. The victim isn't entitled to the same presumption, apparently, even though she hasn't even been accused of anything.
Just because the courts presume innocence until guilt is proven, does not mean the public perception is the same. Until this is resolved no one should be questioning anything except the authorities....and we all know that is not happening because it is on every sports page repeatedly. Rape accusations, whether true or false, immediately tarnish someone. Ask those Duke lacrosse players how their lives were with false allegations. All I have said is that people coming to this girl's defense have said she would never have sexual contact with someone like that and I am saying that the perception from her page sure as hell contradicts it. I did not say that it meant that she did anything with dumbass Ben willingly or against her will. I said that the perception one would get from that page is that she liked to party with guys and take pics of it to post for the world to see.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Yea that and the fact that there hasn't been any criminal charges laid... something about lack of any DNA evidence.

Accusations are one thing... criminal charges are another.
Until criminal charges are laid, it's not unreasonable to quesion the accuser's credibility.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm going to err on the side of asshole and say that he is a guilty pile of shit.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Yea that and the fact that there hasn't been any criminal charges laid... something about lack of any DNA evidence.

Accusations are one thing... criminal charges are another.
Until criminal charges are laid, it's not unreasonable to quesion the accuser's credibility.
According to the report today, they have now decided they do not need DNA from him. That makes me think there has been some development in their investigation that is discrediting the accuser. Quite frankly, if these women are lying, they should be harshly prosecuted.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote: According to the report today, they have now decided they do not need DNA from him.
Maybe they were able to scrape up some DNA from the curb his face hit awhile back so don't need it anymore!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It was the car...not the curb. I hear that if they win another Super Bowl with him at QB they are going to do cock rings.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I agree that false accusations are devastating. I also agree that women who are found to have willfully manufactured false sexual assault allegations should be prosecuted. I just think that we, as a society, are way too quick to both believe in and look for false accusations. The defense of pretty much every well-known person who is accused of rape or sex assault is "false accusation." The vast majority of the time, it's not true. Sometimes it is-- witness Duke lacrosse. But most of the time it's not. Most of the time it's a bad sexual encounter in which the guy acted like an asshole. Sometimes it's a crime and sometimes it's a misunderstanding. But very rarely is it a false (as in willfully invented) accusation. This situation-- most likely-- is either a crime or a misunderstanding.

So, in any situation where there a well-known person is accused of a sex assault, I am going to view their "false accusation" defense with skepticism, given the fact that it's very likely incorrect. Claiming innocence is fine-- there are certainly situations where a woman might reasonably perceive a sexual encounter as coercive or violent but nevertheless is not the victim of a crime. But claiming false accusation probably isn't accurate either.

The point is: Whether or not a crime was committed, the woman making the accusation probably legitimately believes that she was assaulted. There might be some evidence about the woman that is useful in this situation, but honestly not all that much, and certainly nothing about her sexual history or proclivities. The relevant inquiry is factual: Did the man have consent to do whatever he did?

There is honestly very little to be gained from making a false sex assault accusation against a celebrity. First of all, every detail of your sex life is going to be rooted up and endlessly discussed in public-- like what's happening right now. That is devastating. You are going to be embarrassed and ostracized. You're most likely not going to get a conviction. You may get a settlement, but it's probably not going to be for much more than attorneys fees, and you very well could be shut out altogether. You risk being criminally charged if you're outed. You will be infamous for years to come; it will impact your career and your family. Why would you possibly go through with that? Some people do-- either because they just stupidly think there is some profit in it or because they just hate the man in question-- but it's rare.

miir: It's not 'unreasonable' to question the credibility of an accuser even if there are charges. It is unreasonably to focus obsessively on the sexual history of the accuser to the exclusion of all else every single time a rape accusation is made. And that is the cultural narrative that we live in.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

There is honestly very little to be gained from making a false sex assault accusation against a celebrity.
There sure as fuck is.

Here's a completely made up scenario:

Let's say a girl and a staquarterback had (consensual) sexual relations.
The girl wanted (and thought that they had) a serious relationship, but the QB really just wanted to fuck around. They're both of legal age and single... what's the harm, right?
So the girl starts getting all possessive, clingy and generally annoying the QB to the point where he dumps her.
Girl sees him a few weeks later with another girl.
Girl is upset, wants revenge and files a sexual assault complaint with the police.

What better way to get revenge on someone than potentially runing their life?
And who's to say that she's not also looking for a bit of a payoff to shut her mouth?
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Odd how the bar "accidentally" taped over the security footage when they knew the police wanted it.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

And here are the tradeoffs:
There is honestly very little to be gained from making a false sex assault accusation against a celebrity. First of all, every detail of your sex life is going to be rooted up and endlessly discussed in public-- like what's happening right now. That is devastating. You are going to be embarrassed and ostracized. You're most likely not going to get a conviction. You may get a settlement, but it's probably not going to be for much more than attorneys fees, and you very well could be shut out altogether. You risk being criminally charged if you're outed. You will be infamous for years to come; it will impact your career and your family
That's why women don't often do it. If you think a woman in your scenario would just skip happily away cackling madly with a stack of cash, you're delusional. If you want to get revenge, just tell some tabloid that he has a tiny dick.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

That's why women don't often do it. If you think a woman in your scenario would just skip happily away cackling madly with a stack of cash, you're delusional. If you want to get revenge, just tell some tabloid that he has a tiny dick.
The girl in my (completely fabricated) example was so fucking obsessed about getting revenge that it rendered her incapable of logical thought.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Lets also not forget the one given constant.....all women are batshit insane.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

The girl in my (completely fabricated) example was so fucking obsessed about getting revenge that it rendered her incapable of logical thought.
And that's why it's rare... because most people are not batshit crazy. And the police are fairly good at weeding out those who are pretty early in the process.

And, of course, in your scenario, she has to be both batshit enough to want revenge by any means necessary AND batshit enough to think that a false sex assault accusation is a good way to get it; even given her irrational goals. That's a rare combo.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

I miss football season already. It sucks that the current topic is what we have to talk about, regarding the NFL. I wish I could get into other sports.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Looking forward to the draft next month. This is the time of the year when I just want March to be over, as I cannot stand college basketball. Baseball is ok, but barely noteworthy until October for most.

I am not huge on mock-drafts as I do not closely follow college football aside from Arkansas, and my state's teams (Ducks, Beavers). Anyway, at least the draft triggers my thinking about what will come in the following months of training camp, then preseason and FINALLY the regular season. blah blah blah...

---

So, Tim Tebow is the next Andre Ware. That is my prediction, assuming he starts for some team in the next couple seasons. Obviously he is not going to be picked in the top part of the draft, and likely not in the first round at all. Dude is an extremely gifted athlete, and the media loves the crap out of him, but can he completely change his playing style in order to fit in with the professional schemes? I think not.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Sueven wrote:she has to be both batshit enough to want revenge by any means necessary AND batshit enough to think that a false sex assault accusation is a good way to get it; even given her irrational goals. That's a rare combo.
You haven't been in many relationships, have you?
:)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Psyloche wrote:I miss football season already. It sucks that the current topic is what we have to talk about, regarding the NFL. I wish I could get into other sports.
hey, I tried bringing up the changes to the NFL overtime rules :P
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

OT rule is step in right direction! Only people that'll be pissed are kickers since sudden death and last second FGs are the only way they get recognized, aside from kickfail.
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I actually think Tebow COULD be a good NFL QB for one reason.....he is a winner and he has that something that makes teammates believe in him. If they can fix his throwing motion and get his short-middle range accuracy up, he could be a serious steal. No way should he go in the first round unless it is to a team that has a QB that will be around for another 2-3 years though.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tebow's also a religious freak. Worked for Warner...not so much, Kitna.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

You guys remember that douchebag friend you had in college who drank cuervo all the time, probably said "WOO!" a lot and wore his baseball hat backwards? That's Big Ben. Only now instead of being just another drunk fratboy, he's one of the most recognized faces in the NFL. The Steelers need to put that guy on a leash.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

miir wrote:You haven't been in many relationships, have you?
I know that you're just joking, but we just got to the issue at the heart of this conversation: Sexism.

On to football...

Kind of a weird offseason for the Eagles. Westbrook is gone, Mike Bell is in. That's an OK trade at this point, I suppose, but that leave a serious dearth of playmaking in the run game. Leonard Weaver is locked up, that's good. Obviously the quarterback situation is the biggest question: At this point, having announced that they're taking offers for all QBs, I feel like they need to trade McNabb. He's a prideful guy who's taken a lot of abuse, I can't imagine that he'll be thrilled to come back after being openly shopped after all of his success. This, of course, points straight to a nightmarish scenario where we name Kolb the starter, he has a few tough games, and we spend the rest of the season in the "play Vick" hellhole. I hope that doesn't happen, but I can see it.

I'm interested to see how Charlie Whitehurst does for Seattle. I'm also interested to see how the Browns and 49ers do this year.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

I haven't been able to watch the local Philly news since I moved to Florida so I don't really know whats been going on. CSN used to be on my television constantly. Oh how I miss thee.

I kind of figured Westbrook would be gone, but Bell is a decent pickup. I personally like McCoy though and think he will be a great back for us. I also wasn't aware that we were shopping McNabb around. I think this year, if he doesn't get injured, could be a very good year for him and likely his last. Our receiver core is strong now, and even though we lost Westbrook, we won't really see too much of a hurt in the ground game. My concern is our defense and offensive line. Weaver has done a nice job blocking so far, and should only get better. He needs help from an offensive line though. The main contributor to our loss against Dallas last year was our center being hurt. I hope to god Winston Justice is off the team by now and bagging groceries somewhere so we can get someone who actually stops pass rushers.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Sueven wrote: we just got to the issue at the heart of this conversation: Sexism.
Um no.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Only feminazis call it sexism, the rest of us refer to it as reality.

I am so looking forward to the Eagles imploding this coming season. McNabb is too good for that shithole town, I hope he lands someplace competitive.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Hah! He'll probably wind up in Oakland. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

This is funny and just right for the season. The intro says that it is NSFW but it really is. I don't know about other items from that site though.
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2009/4thandfour.htm
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I am thinking the median IQ of NFL players resides around the 55 mark. Disagree?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

How fucking retarded can you be to bring a weapon to the airport? Much less a loaded one??
en kærlighed småkager
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Canelek wrote:I am thinking the median IQ of NFL players resides around the 55 mark. Disagree?

How fucking retarded can you be to bring a weapon to the airport? Much less a loaded one??
What's funny is all these athletes say they need guns to protect themselves because they are "targets".
I can remember tons of stories of athletes being stupid with guns. I can't seem to remember a single one where an athlete pulled one in self-defense and saved themselves.

Do they really need them?
Sabek
Just Sabek
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

McNabb traded to Redskins! :shock:
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Xyun wrote:McNabb traded to Redskins! :shock:
With all theups and downs inPhilly over the past couple years, I don't think its a great surprise he's on the move. Sucks to be him, moving to the Dedskins though...
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sabek wrote:
Canelek wrote:I am thinking the median IQ of NFL players resides around the 55 mark. Disagree?

What's funny is all these athletes say they need guns to protect themselves because they are "targets".
I can remember tons of stories of athletes being stupid with guns. I can't seem to remember a single one where an athlete pulled one in self-defense and saved themselves.

Do they really need them?

I can think of two where if they HAD one they might still be alive. Sean Taylor and D.J. Williams. A few complete idiots should not preclude the responsible majority from protecting themselves. Those players have a lot of money and people know it....which makes them a target. I am betting if you compare alchohol related incidents to firearm related incidents that it would be at least 50 to 1. Shoudl all atheletes be banned from bars or any alchohol consumption?

I can think of at lesat one player that ahs killed someoen under the influence....can you name any NFL players that have killed someone with a firearm?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

DJ Williams is still alive! :P

Darrent Williams, I believe you meant.

NFL players, who legally obtain a firearm and/or CCP, have the same rights as anyone. Sadly, many of those who obtain a CCP fail to remember the myriad of 'carry rules'. Problem is, there seems to be an issue with NFL players and the whole, "you cannot bring a firearm to a bar or airport" thing... Some of these guys get a CCP and think they can be all John McClaine...

----

McNabb in DC, eh? Crazy. I had him pegged to be the next Raider. I am wondering if Shanny is going to try to get Marshall from Denver now. Granted, the whole Redskins-Broncos trade relationship soured somewhat the the whole headcoach firing/hiring scenario here.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The Eagles are going to suck ass next year.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Likely. Now the Philly fans who blamed McNabb for what has been a rather rickety team will really see what life is like without their best player.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Canelek wrote:Likely. Now the Philly fans who blamed McNabb for what has been a rather rickety team will really see what life is like without their best player.

He was always one of my more reliable fantasy picks. Michael Westbrook, on the other hand, has screwed me over any time I had him.