09 NBA Discussion Thread

What do you think about the sports world?
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

09 NBA Discussion Thread

Post by Aardor »

Starting a new thread since the other one is huge.

Iverson to the Pistons for Billups, McDyse, and some scrub to make the contract work. Hmm, I like this trade, probably because I love AI, and think he'll be more successful with the Pistons. The Pistons seem like a better fit for him, with the team being more defense oriented, and Iverson being one of the worst defenders in the league. I don't understand why the Nuggets wanted to do the trade, I don't see how this trade will change their team enough to put them over other west contenders, but I think it was clear that AI + Melo was not going to work. I think that if the Nuggets still had Camby, this would be a better trade for them.

On another note, I think the "Star" I would least like to have on my team is Gilbert Arenas. I'm actually a fan of his, and really like most everything about him, especially his heart and dedication. However, he's also a moron, and so his heart and dedication get him into stupid situations. He is known for rehabbing in his own way, and ignoring the advice of doctors, which is fine, assuming it works. However, for two years now, he has just gotten injured, and reportedly still isn't listening to his doctors. I feel for Wizards fans, they are going to be screwed for a long time to come with the contract they gave Arenas this summer (and even if their entire roster was healthy, they still have no chance to make it past the Cavs in the playoffs).
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: 09 NBA Discussion Thread

Post by Spang »

The Celtics win it all, again.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Spang wrote:The Celtics win it all, again.
There is a very good chance of this. However, an injury to Pierce or Garnett could completely halt the run for a repeat, and we still don't know how the team will do without Posey there. I left Ray Allen out of the list because I think he's a bit overrated right now, and because I think that Pierce and Garnett could win without him (they almost did last year, for most of the playoffs/finals).
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Another thing I didn't realize when I initially read about/commented on the AI trade: This is his last year, so this can put the Pistons in a good spot for off-season acquisitions, or to re-sign AI for less money. Also not a bad experiment to make since it won't last more than 1 year unless the Piston's front office decides it is worth it.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I hopped on the Hornets (I call them NorHor, isn't that fun?!?) bandwagon last year and will ride it out this year as well.

I also have around 500 bucks with various people that they will have a better record than the Lakers this season.
Fuck Michigan!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Zamtuk wrote:I hopped on the Hornets (I call them NorHor, isn't that fun?!?) bandwagon last year and will ride it out this year as well.

I also have around 500 bucks with various people that they will have a better record than the Lakers this season.
I think you made a pretty good bet there with Bynum still being a question, Kobe/Gasol both playing all summer (though Paul did too), Kobe still having the pinky injury, and Kobe being 1 year older (without a major injury). Not to mention, Kobe hasn't called his teammates out for sucking lately.

I just hope that NO gets more games on the national TV this year. Very fun team to watch. (sorry for replying to every post on this thread, i just want to talk about basketball).
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Aardor wrote:Another thing I didn't realize when I initially read about/commented on the AI trade: This is his last year, so this can put the Pistons in a good spot for off-season acquisitions, or to re-sign AI for less money. Also not a bad experiment to make since it won't last more than 1 year unless the Piston's front office decides it is worth it.
Agreed. At the very least, the Pistons are set to be more capable against superstar teams like the Lakers and Cavaliers. And at the same time we have Stuckey, who last season was already nearly as skilled (though clearly not as clutch) as Billups. Stuckey and Billups were both contracted until 2011, so it made sense that Billups would be traded given Stuckey's performance. Detroit hasn't had a superstar of this caliber in as long as I've been watching the games. I'm psyched.

It will be interesting to see how this affects:
defense - Iverson is no Billups, but Billups is slowing down and he can't be a good defender much longer
transition game - Iverson, Herrmann, Stuckey, Ripp... The Pistons are speeding up
Tayshaun - With a diverse skillset, it will be interesting to see how his role in particular changes
Sheed - with Iverson running around, you have to figure Sheed will be on the perimeter getting open looks more often than posting up. Then again, Iverson is more of a drive-and-dump player on the rare occasions that he does pass the ball, so dunk count could go way up. Maxiell in particular will be a ferocious threat in the lane.

I'm much in favor of the trade. At the very least the games will be more exciting, and since the Pistons make the playoffs every year anyway, this can only be a good thing.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I think it's a good trade for both sides. Iverson gives the Pistons more scoring punch and more playmaking, both things that they need. Chauncey gives Denver a distributing point guard who doesn't dominate the ball as much as Iverson and can probably work more effectively with Carmelo. I think both teams will get benefit.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I have a feeling the Celtics are going to coast more through the regular season this year and be discounted at playoff time like last year. It is not like they would have a problem making the playoffs, but they do need to keep some wear and tear off the big 3 and get some much needed minutes for the younger guys. That should have everyone jumping on the Lakers nuts again so smart people can win money by betting green again as Kobe demonstrates how his rightful position is on his knees sucking Shaq's cock in thanks for the rings he got for him.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Keep your eyes on next Wednesday for NOR/LAL!
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I read an interesting article this morning about why that Detroit/Denver trade went through, and basically it boiled down to putting Detroit in the driver's seat for signing Lebron in 2010. They'll have the cap space, youth, 2 All-Stars for him to play with (Rip and Tayshaun), etc. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Sylvus wrote:I read an interesting article this morning about why that Detroit/Denver trade went through, and basically it boiled down to putting Detroit in the driver's seat for signing Lebron in 2010. They'll have the cap space, youth, 2 All-Stars for him to play with (Rip and Tayshaun), etc. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Everyone says he is going to the Knicks. He is friends with Jay-Z and loves everything New York.
Hell he had the balls to wear a Yankees hat to a home Cleveland Indians playoff game against the Yankees in 07.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

It all depends on what he wants, and if winning is important to him. Something the Pistons consistently do and the Knicks haven't done for a long time.
The above linked article wrote:The New Jersey Nets’ move to Brooklyn is falling apart, and so is owner Bruce Ratner’s chances of using limited partner, Jay-Z, to lure James. The Knicks will be a factor, but the bumbling of the Stephon Marbury mess has reflected horribly on the organization. The Knicks have an owner, GM and coach with differing agendas and they’ve made an initial poor impression. Detroit can’t compete with New York as the global city to market James, but winning could take care of everything.

With Donnie Walsh and Mike D’Antoni as GM and coach, the Knicks can still get their act together. Yet, no one will ever need to ask that of Dumars. No one else can sell James on a winning culture as compellingly as Dumars. He had gone as far as he could with Billups, who has three years and $36 million left on his contract. Billups gave the Pistons a slight edge over Iverson to make another run this season, but Dumars had already gotten a final run out of him a year ago. Detroit won a title, reached a Game 7 of the NBA Finals and six straight Eastern Conference finals with Billups.
Obviously not a lock, but like I said, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Go Blue!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Sabek wrote:
Sylvus wrote:I read an interesting article this morning about why that Detroit/Denver trade went through, and basically it boiled down to putting Detroit in the driver's seat for signing Lebron in 2010. They'll have the cap space, youth, 2 All-Stars for him to play with (Rip and Tayshaun), etc. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Everyone says he is going to the Knicks. He is friends with Jay-Z and loves everything New York.
Hell he had the balls to wear a Yankees hat to a home Cleveland Indians playoff game against the Yankees in 07.
Jay-Z is co-owner of the Nets~, but there is talk of both new york teams (though i think the Nets move to Brooklyn has been delayed).
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Yeah, who knows? Jay-Z owns the Nets and they've recently been a better franchise. The Knicks are looking up but have an incompetent meddling owner and a bad recent track record. Detroit is a top-notch organization with good young talent and respected executives, but it's in Detroit, not New York. No way to know what'll happen.

Let's also remember that there are a LOT of other big free agents coming up. And Detroit might have the money to sign two guys to max deals.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I'm thinking Durant may have been a better choice for Portland last year. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've said it several times. Greg Oden looked ancient in college. He looks like he should be retiring, not starting his NBA career.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

he looks slow besides

Howard needed another rebound last night for a 30-20-10 night, shame he didn't manage it
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

It's play off time, so this deserves a bump!

Personally, I am happy as shit that the Mavs (my team) drew the Spurs first round. It's currently 1-1, with the Spurs annihilating the piss out of my Mavs Monday. But, I am optomistic. This is a trap series for the Spurs. The Mavs are trying desperately to prove their relevance, but the Spurs have nothing to prove. They're a perennial contender as long as Duncan-atron 3000 is on their roster.

Funny how little play this thread got this year. I wonder why? :lol:
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Gzette wrote: Funny how little play this thread got this year. I wonder why? :lol:
corrupt refs!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Are the Phoenix Suns going to win another championship this year?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Spang wrote:Are the Phoenix Suns going to win another championship this year?
As part of the payoff for being denied three titles by corrupt refs, the league has agreed to land Phoenix the #1 pick in the draft with a corrupt lotto drawing.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

AI is a team murderer.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Leonaerd wrote:AI is a team murderer.
Meanwhile Chauncey is putting up sick numbers... I think he's like 12/15 3-pointers in the playoffs so far.

Go Blue!
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Spurs got BITCH SLAPPED last night by my Mavs. Poppovich pulled the entire starting line up 5 mins into the THIRD quarter. I guess he was sending a message. IMO I think it was stupid. It might give starters the jitters for their next game. I doubt it though and Popps is one of the best. Anyway, it ended with a record low score for the Spurs in the playoffs. I LOLd a lot. I'm hoping to a decisive Mavs victory for their next game.

F the Spurs!!!
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Mavs could end the season of those shitbag Spurs tonight. Go Mavs!
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Portland staying alive, but have to win in Houston to set up a game 7.

Roy and Aldridge were both great depite Roy being sick and Aldridge having a swolen elbow.

they play like shit in houston though....
en kærlighed småkager
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I'm rooting for Portland. LaMarcus helped my alma mater get to the final four! And it is hilarious to see Houston lose in the first round every year. Here's hoping the T-Blazers can pull it off!

Also, GO MAVS!!!! They had a very impressive game last night. Got ahead early and stayed ahead for the entire game. Great defense, great bench play, and Dirk finally scored some fkn points. WTF is up with Jason Kidd hitting 3s? I dunno, but as long as he keeps it up, Mavs or going to be tough to handle.

The best part is, Spurs and Mavs are such bitter enemies, that I can call the season a victory at this point. Everything they do from now on is just bonus basketball.

Finally, Celtics/Bulls has been a stupendous series.
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Gzette wrote: WTF is up with Jason Kidd hitting 3s? I dunno, but as long as he keeps it up, Mavs or going to be tough to handle.

He used to hit a ton of 3's when he was with Phoenix, and even got a triple double with 10 3's once.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Looks like next series could be the end of the line for my Mavs. I was hoping Denver and NO would beat up on each other a little more, but I guess it's too hard to get back in a series after losing by 58. The NUGs swept the MAVs this year :shock: but the Mavs are peaking at the perfect time.

If Mavs win, it will have to be in 6 or less. They must steal one of the first to games. I'm already looking forward to heckling this douche:

You're right about Jason Kidd. I guess I never thought of him as a shooter, but he's having one of his best years for 3-pointers ever, averaging just above 40 percent.
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Chris Anderson is one of the most inspirational players in the NBA. Heckle someone who deserves it.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I don't care if he's Jesus. He's the opponent and he looks like a jackass and likes to be called Birdman. I'll fucking heckle him if I feel like it. and what makes him so inspirational (besides the hair?)
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

He's a marginally talented poor dumb white guy from the middle of nowhere who made the NBA, squandered his potential and got banned from the game for abusing speed, quit drugs and stayed in shape for years while he was banned, and then made a comeback in which he's wildly exceeded all expectations for his play.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

So he's a poor man's Josh Hamilton. Yep, gonna heckle him. He has less ppg than Eric Dampier in the playoffs, and he sucks it. wooptee doo he was a junkie. fuck him and his retarded birdzilla hairdo.
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Poor man's Josh Hamilton is a fair assessment. Except Josh Hamilton was a projected future star and Andersen was like an 8th or 9th guy in an NBA rotation. Which meant that Hamilton had FAR more support and help than Andersen did. So he may be a rich man's Josh Hamilton, depending on how you look at it. There's a man whose job it is to provide Josh Hamilton with full time emotional support. Chris Andersen, in contrast, just got kicked the fuck out of the NBA and he dealt with his problems on his own.

His averages/36 minutes are 11 points, 11 rebounds, and 4.3 blocks. That's pretty fucking good for a guy who was considered a marginal bench player who got by on nothing more than athleticism when he was suspended for two years at age 27.

He was second in the NBA in blocks this year despite playing only twenty minutes a game. He led the NBA in block percentage.

I mean feel free to heckle him, I don't really give a shit. I'm just saying that there are plenty of pro athletes, including on the Nuggets, who richly deserve your heckling, and he's not one of them.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Birdman: 11 points, 6 rebounds, 6 blocks. Nuggets win.

BIRDMAN ONE, GZETTE ZERO
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

That there is a pretty stupid looking dude. WTF badtats.

Anyway, Portland had a fair showing for its first playoff series in years. They are only going to improve in the next few years! This is a very exciting time here--finally able to put the Jailblazer years in the past. Getting rid of Zack Randolph was quite the albatross-remover.
en kærlighed småkager
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

God the Mavs looked terrible. I swear Dirk was just sashaying out of the way for Nene to dunk.

I couldn't bear to watch the last 6 minutes of the game. Jason Kidd started throwing around passes even I wouldn't make. there were a hand full that literally had no target and went straight out of bonds. and that's from one of the best passers in the game. they got seriously discombobulated and pretty much shit the bed yesterday afternoon. no excuses. i guess that's karma on me for fucking with the birdman. I fucking hate him, he's such a cock smoker.

Game 2 is a must win, and THIS IS WHY WE WILL WIN. Denver crowd is so pumped that I don't think they can win a game 7 there. An there is no way Mavs will take 4 games in a row. Hoping for a win tomorrow, protecting the house for game 3 & 4, likely revenge loss in 5 and a home win for advancement to conference finals (to get stomped by LA).

I was all happy last week with a victory over SA, but now I'm hungry. Mavs can beat these fuckwads!!!

Go mavs!
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Birdman: 8 points, 9 rebounds, +24. Nuggets win. Going to refrain from calling out the score for now.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

You forgot to mention the 8 poles he smoked after the game. Now that's an impressive stat line! He picks it up a bit, he might get a triple double!

I don't think my Mavs have a shot now. As I said, last night was must win. I missed the game, it came on way too late, and I was sleepy from margaritas by the time it started, so I can't really speak to individual performances or the tone of the game, except to say that I assume Birdman acted like a retard, since he is one.

Gogo gadget drug relapse!
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I'll continue bumping this, even if it is only bad news for my team. So, Mavs are fucked. I guess I should revert back to my earlier attitude. At least we kicked the spurs' asses.

I was with my family during game 3, so I opted to not watch, because after about 2 mins I had already yelled FUCK! like 3 times. Thank god I did. Turned it on just in time to see Carmelo drop the near last-second three for the go ahead point. Fucking terrible.
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

dirk drops 44! wuwu! beats out Carmelo's 41 pts. Mavs force a game 5, which they will lose in all likelihood. but hey, at least they finally beat the Nuggets (for the first time this year). Dirk's probably gonna need 55pts to win in Denver. He's scored that much before in the playoffs!
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

You'll note that Birdman was forced to miss game 4 with the stomach flu. The Nuggets will probably eliminate the Mavs next time he plays.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

too much swallowing leads to stomach herpes for Birdman.

Mavs, are done, but oh well. did better than i thought this year. Maybe they can make a good key acquisition. They obviously need something more, and after this year I am convinced they need a better leader than Dirk. He sorely disappointed me ... again
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I caught the end of Lakers/Nuggets game 1, and it appears the NBA will not let the Lakers lose. There were two questionable foul calls (well 1.5 really) once the game hit the 2-minute mark and the Nuggets were leading.

It's not surprising. There is at least one vitawater commercial out already hyping up the Lebron vs Kobe matchup stern is salavating to see.

I mean I am too. What a matchup.
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Magic/Clippers looks like it's going to be one hell of a series. What was up with LeBron not taking the final shot? He had a good chance to when his defender fell down. Part of me thinks he felt sorry for him and passed it off. NO MERCY LEBRON! IT'S PLAYOFF B-BALL! Also hilarious was Dwight Howard dunking so hard he broke the shot clock. God he is a beast. Him and Lebron are probably the two most athletic people in the NBA.
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Code: Select all

W     L

LA Clippers	19	 63
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

hah i keep doing that! when talking to friends i've said clippers instead of cavs like 5 times now
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

From Nov 2008:
Winnow wrote:I've said it several times. Greg Oden looked ancient in college. He looks like he should be retiring, not starting his NBA career.

today:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2675 ... r-and-more
Former Portland Trail Blazers center Greg Oden has come to accept the fact his lasting basketball legacy will likely include being the biggest bust in NBA draft history.
BUST! THE Ohio State Buckeyes