haha @ boog and bayern

What do you think about the sports world?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: haha @ boog and bayern

Post by Boogahz »

Keep trying to find a better angle of this goal scored by Mario Gomez against Napoli in the Champion's League, but I keep failing:

Super Mario trying to do his best impersonation of the Bundesliga logo...needs to remember to put arms back, not forward! :P

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Home loss to Dortmund sucked, especially as BvB's goal came off of an uncalled handball!

Bayern is still #1 in the table by 2, and more Champion's League play tomorrow.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What are the payrolls of these teams? Is it a case where the highest payroll wins or is it pretty even on the payroll side of things?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

There's no parity in euro soccer. Money in the same league can be vastly different team to team. Because the leagues have relegation rules in place, the teams promoted into the highest division are usually woefully poor compared to the teams that have been entrenched for awhile. In addition, if a team gets relegated, that team typically has to dump a lot of whatever high priced talent they had because they lose all of the tv and endorsement money.
The teams with the most money are usually high in the rankings but it's not a guarantee. That's why it becomes a big story when they aren't at or near the top. it's alsowhy there's so much interest in the season long league of champions tourney as the highest ranking teams from the different euro leagues go head to head so you tend to get mostly high money high profile teams playing against each other.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Cool link. Interesting to see the comparisons across sports/leagues.

FC Bayern has often been called FC Hollywood for often insane purchases. The current keeper, Manuel Neuer, was picked up when he did not renew his contract with Schalke after last year for 22 million Euro (2nd highest ever for a keeper). Not all purchases have worked well, but FC Bayern has still been able to pull a profit as of this years annual meeting. The first half of the season has also been played with a smaller than normal roster, but one that is deep in talent. A good number of the German national team starts for Bayern.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aha, this is the angle I was looking for in the pic at the top of this page:

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

figured time zones incorrectly and went to lunch an hour early. Still able to stream live web radio of the FC Bayern v Villareal game. Now to keep people from interrupting me while I "pretend" to work :P

okay, halftime...can only listen to the loop of Stern des Sudens so many times before having to take the headphones off til the second half, lol.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Through to the Champion's League last 16 with 1 group stage game to spare after beating Villareal and Man City losing to Napoli!

Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Surprised this wasn't updated by anyone (wtf boog?). Though I've been a Barca fan several years, I'm bored with their dominance and happy that they were knocked out by a 10 man Chelsea squad that was already a huge underdog coming into the game. Especially enjoyed Bayerns dominance against Real Madrid (I respect, but hate them).

Barca, Bayern and Chelsea are each one of my favorite Euro teams to follow, so it's been awesome to see them all make it so far. Normally I'd be for Bayern winning the final, but since they're at home and Chelsea has had such a great comeback/underdog season so far, I think I'll be cheering for the Blues come game day. (Mainly I just want a entertaining game).

Either way though I couldn't be much happier with the results so far as a neutral Euro fan. I'm just glad Champions League is gaining exposure in the US and more channels are broadcasting matches.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

kept meaning to add to the saga, but I get sidetracked at work...

Didn't see much of the Barca/Chealsea games, and I think that was because I would not mind seeing either of the teams in the final....as long as FCBayern was there. ;)

What impressed me in the Real Madrid/FCBayern games had to be the improved defense. Over the last few months, it has been very questionable again. Also, moving Alaba to play behind Ribery made a HUGE impact. The two of them have been connecting on runs like madmen. I think that everyone knew Alaba was good, but he never seemed to be assigned to the right area on the pitch. Boateng stepped into the injured van Buyten's spot in the back wall, showing more skill than along the right side. Lahm has been freed to his preferred spot amongst the backs, and his runs forward have been successful (see 90min goal against Real at home!).

Oh, and I can't leave out the single player that did something I never would have expected. Franck Ribery went through multiple defenders, fighting for possession the whole time, without being summoned back to the blades of grass from which he sprang by gravity. I don't think I have seen that side of Ribery until very late this year, and I like it!

Today, FCBayern heads to Cologne to, hopefully, see off Poldi who will be joining Arsenal next year. Unfortunately the Billygoats have not had a good season, which could end up meaning relegation.

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

4:1 win for Bayern, and a sad end to Poldi's time at Köln...couple ultras decided to ignite flares in the stands in the final minute, cancelling the expected thanks to/from fans after the game.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

amusing :P

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Looking forward to today's DFB-Pokal Finale vs Dortmund. Need to beat them to keep the aspirations for a double alive going into the Champion's League Final!

Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

so how did that go? :D

(still going to be rooting for Bayern for the CL, but that's because Chelsea are even more insufferably smug bastards! and because, admittedly, Bayern played a heck of a campaign)
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Dortmund was definitely the better team in the Bundesliga this year. Their defense shut down anything Bayern could do, and they turned counters around and over the midfielders to outpace the back four. I would have been more worried if Bayern had somehow managed to come back late in the game. As Jupp said, Dortmund deserved the win.

I am curious about what Bayern team will show up Saturday against Chelsea.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

So far, the team that can't hit a fucking corner or score on a penalty... (13 mins into overtime)
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

After all of the disappointments last year...wtf 2nd in everything?!...I hope that this year's start can stay strong. 5 games into the season with a perfect record and +15 goal differential. The team seems to have made some good moves in the offseason all over the field. I am interested to see how well Javi Martinez works in the midfield with Bastian. Should provide more opportunities for Schweinsteiger to play forward a bit...not sure why I love seeing him score as much as I do. Just need him to stay healthy. Last year would have seen Bayern missing out on all kinds of points with Mario Gomez out for his injury, but the new addition of Mario Mandzukic has been VERY good so far. Dante in the defense has helped shore the hole that Boateng was standing in, while leaving Boateng with more central defense work. A few other nice signings like the young Shaqiri should keep the squad depth strong. I think that what I am most impressed with is that the wins this season have come without 'Robbery.' Injuries to one or the other has kept both out, for the most part. I think that this is the best sign so far.

Time for another season of talking to myself, while making people wonder what NFL/NBA thread has been updated in the Sports section!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

holy +26 goal differential!

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Just hoping they can keep up the pace in the second half of the season! With almost all of the first half of the season done, 16 games, they have scored 43 goals and only allowed SIX! Defense has more depth and class than prior seasons. +37 goal differential with the contenders hovering near double digits. This would be why they're up 11 points in the league standings. Depth all over the field has improved. Several injuries which would have wrecked the season previously, have led to another standout coming off of the bench.

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

9 points up on Leverkusen at the break. awesome start to the season, but last year was similar. must keep up the pace in the second half this time!

Drew Arsenal in the Champion's League and Borussia Dortmund in the German Cup. This is where the real tests start popping up!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

A brace from Mandzukic to start up the second half of the season!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Is that a giant advertisement on his chest for T-Mobile? Do major Euro sports have to wear advertisements on their jerseys? I just can't picture the NFL having Wal-Mart or some other company on their chest.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

It is just one of many lucrative sponsorships used by most teams. Deutsche Telekom also has a section of seats in the NE corner that get used by, what I assume is, employees family and friends. They wear all white when sitting in the assigned seats which leaves the company logo in the stands. Kinda funny to see.

As for the NFL, aren't they just one huge Nike ad?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote: As for the NFL, aren't they just one huge Nike ad?

They sponsor/provide/make the equipment/uniforms so it kinda makes sense although the logo is small. Various companies sponsor the stadiums but I don't see their logos on the player uniforms.

The only thing on NFL uniforms that bothers me is the green dot on the back of quarterback helmets indicating that the helmet can receive plays wirelessly from the sidelines...it's like they put absolutely no effort into deciding that the marking would be and just used a green dot sticker found at an office supply store. Extreme laziness.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

It's not just major euro teams, probably every major soccer league in the world has jersey sponsers, including MLS. The NFL is the weirdo outsider here for not having it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dakanaf wrote:It's not just major euro teams, probably every major soccer league in the world has jersey sponsers, including MLS. The NFL is the weirdo outsider here for not having it.
Ah, NBA and Professional Baseball doesn't have ads on their jerseys either.

I'm guessing it's something to do with less TV commercials due to the nature of the game.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

15 point lead with a +50 goal differential :shock:

Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Winnow wrote:
Dakanaf wrote:It's not just major euro teams, probably every major soccer league in the world has jersey sponsers, including MLS. The NFL is the weirdo outsider here for not having it.
Ah, NBA and Professional Baseball doesn't have ads on their jerseys either.

I'm guessing it's something to do with less TV commercials due to the nature of the game.
The NBA is bringing jersey sponsers. (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-b ... y-near-you) Probably less to do with tv commercials and more to do major companies wanting their name to be on the biggest team's jerseys of the most popular sport in the world.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Whew, keep rollin'...... let two goals in this weekend though. damned double digits for the season!

Time to keep Arsenal at bay in the Champion's League!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I was born near Bitburg in Rheinland. I guess my team (Mainz) would be in last place! Great wine, bad footballers!

"Bitte ein Bit"

Hmm 3 of the 4 top selling German beers are from Rheinland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Ge ... _breweries

Take that Bayern!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

hehe, bitburger was all over the place when I was staying in Koblenz
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Oh I love that they beat Juventus 2-0 in the first leg. Any time an Italian team loses in champions league is a good game.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Coming off of the 9:2 drubbing of Hamburg, I wasn't shocked to see Alaba score in the first minute against Juventus.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The Bundesliga championship isn't "officially" Bayern's until May 11th, but that hasn't stopped the team from displaying the replica "trophy" that Dante was given by a fan when Bayern clinched!

Still have a tough trip for the treble. Stuttgart in Berlin for the German Cup, and Stuttgart was the only team to hand Bayern a loss during the Bundesliga season (so far...there are a few weeks left). Then Barcelona in the Champion's League, followed by either Real Madrid or Borussia Dortmund. Love it!
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

God I hope they destroy Barcelona.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Kept getting updates on this one at work, and I can't wait to get home to watch what sounded like a dismantling of Barca.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I knew Boog would beat me to it! Blitzkrieg > Tiki Taka. That was amazing. Wow. Bayern is a BEAST.

Posession: Bayern 32% - Barca 68%. Goals: Bayern 4 - Barca 0.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

It was hard not cheering on a conference call during the second half. :vv_ninja:
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

On a side note, what do you think of replacing Heynckes with Guardiola? It seems odd to replace your coach who achieved one of the fastest league titles in history and is destroying competition throughout Germany and Europe. After seeing at least a dozen of their games this season I have to say that it is possibly the best and most exciting professional team I've ever watched...
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

When he first came on, everything pointed to it only being a one-and-done coaching job for Heynckes. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year...hah. Guardiola almost sounded like it came about at the last minute, almost thinking he would say no. I don't know how true the story is, but apparently Hoeness was having dinner with him in New York when he just pulled out a contract and asked Pep to take over after the season. I had hoped to see Heynckes renew for another year, at least, but maybe he will stick around in some other capacity with the team. I wouldn't blame him for going elsewhere, because it doesn't sound like he was involved in the Guardiola decision. All of the players that would be stars anywhere else couldn't have been easy to keep satisfied coming off of the bench. I mentioned it before, but this is the deepest team I can remember seeing. I love that I have had the opportunity to see almost all of their games through GolTV.

I was only able to see the first half of yesterday's game after work yesterday, but you could see several changes from prior years. One thing was joked about on a fansite board I go to. Bayern was destined to win because Arjen Robben passed the ball regularly. :lol: Franck Ribery and Thomas Mueller tracked back from their Forward positions to defend, at times behind the actual Backs. :shock: David Alaba and Philip Lahm can really shut down the wings, and much of that seems to come from knowing Dante and Boateng have the middle covered. :badgrin:

I looked back at my first post early in this season with the doubt I had based on last season's 2nd place in every competition. A little of that is still there, but Tuesday's match with Barcelona erased some niggling doubts.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Boogahz wrote:The Bundesliga championship isn't "officially" Bayern's until May 11th, but that hasn't stopped the team from displaying the replica "trophy" that Dante was given by a fan when Bayern clinched!

Noticed that the "fake" trophy is shown on the official team site. Dante got it from a fan by trading his game-worn jersey over the fence. Pretty awesome
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Not Dortmund again, please! lol
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

First off, I didn't actually "watch" the game yet, but I was able to go along with it through a gameticker online. I "saw" more shots by Barca, but the sense of urgency just wasn't there. It felt more like they were going through the motions since a second leg HAD to be played. Looking forward to watching after work, and a 7-0 aggregate win is awesome.

Secondly, Borussia Dortmund. The thorn in Bayern's side the last couple years in the German Cup and Bundesliga. Now comes the test of banishing that demon in the Champion's League Final. That and a win over Vfb Stuttgart in the German Cup will complete the treble, as the Bundesliga trophy will be officially handed out on the 11th!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Oh, and the other "fun" thing about the Borussia Dortmund matchup is that this weekend's fixture is FC Bayern AT Dortmund. As if that match wasn't already going to be fun to watch :P
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

7-0 against Barca is insane. I saw today match-up of BVB vs Bayern, game ended up as a draw.

The final will be interesting. Maybe Bayern are favorites, but both teams have so much experience against each other that it's just up to whoever has the better game on the day.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, but today's game went DEEP into the benches. I think there were 13 starters subbed between the two teams (counting Gundogan who went out early due to injury). You could tell that neither team was the same as we've seen over the last couple weeks. I was surprised to see Lewandowski playing for Dortmund today, but I figured Neuer would be playing just to try to stick it to his old rival from his Schalke days. :)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I found the stat comparisons posted before last weekend to be kind of interesting:

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

records set in Bundesliga play this season:

Bayern have set new records for…

•the most points: 91 (previously 81, Dortmund 2011/12)
•the biggest lead over the team in second: 25 points (previously 16, Bayern 2002/03)
•the earliest and fastest title triumph: both in terms of matchdays (28 / previously: 30, Bayern 1972/73 and 2002/03) and the date (6 April / previously: 18 April, FC Köln 1963/64)
•Top of the table for all 34 completed matchdays (equalling Bayern in 1968/69, 1972/73, 1984/85 and 2007/08)
•the most wins in a season: 29 (previously: 25, Dortmund 2011/12, Bayern 1972/73)
•the longest winning streak within a season: 14 wins (previously: 10, Mönchengladbach 1986/87 and Wolfsburg 2008/09)

•the fewest defeats (1, same as Bayern 1986/87)
•the fewest goals against: 18 (previously: 21, Bayern 2007/08)
•the most matches without conceding a goal in a season: 21 (previously: 19, Bremen 1987/88 and Bayern 2001/02)
•at least one goal in every match (as achieved by Köln 1963/64)
•the longest scoring run (with season overlap): 36 matches in a row (equalling FCB between 1973 and 1974)
•the best goal difference: +80 (previously: +64, Bayern 1972/73)
•the most away wins: 15 (previously: 11, Dortmund 2011/12, Bremen 2003/04)
•the fewest away defeats: 0 (equalling Bayern 1986/87)
•the most points away from home: 47 (previously: 37, Dortmund 2011/12, Bremen 2003/04)
•the longest winning streak away from home: 9 (previously: 8, Dortmund 2010/11)
•the fewest away goals conceded: 7 (previously: 10, Bremen 87/88)
•the best goal difference after the first half of a season: +37 (previously: +33, Bayern 2011/12)
• the fewest goals against in the first half of a season: 7 (level with Stuttgart, 2003/04)
•the fewest away goals against in the first half of a season: 1 (previously 2, Stuttgart 2003/04)
•the first five away matches of a season without conceding a goal
•best start to a season: 8 wins (previously: 7 wins, Bayern 1995/96, Kaiserslautern 2001/02, Mainz 2010/11)
•best second half of a season: 49 points (previously: 47, Dortmund 2011/12)
•best start to the second half of a season: 14 wins (previously: 7, Dortmund 2011/12)