EQ Beta - Your Name, Server?

Everquest related info only here, quests, help, info, recruiting, etc.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Damn you beta people!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Winnow wrote:-EQ2 runs fine if you have a decent system (ATi9700 Pro, 2.4GHz processor, 1GB RAM) Nothing dramatic but you need this and then it runs fine.

-Not sure what you mean about unique scenery. There's plenty of scenery in EQ2 and it looks much better then the distorted toontownish scenes in WoW.

-WoW UI didn't seem any different than the EQ2 UI which was great.

-The Voiceovers are great. Who cares if you don't listen to the whole thing. You have a choice to listen or click through the dialog faster if you're in a rush.

-Graphics are polished. If you have an older graphics card you can slide the detail range in closer to allow faster performance.

I don't nock a game for having state of the art graphics. People continuously upgrade their machines and I want a game that will take advantage of the best you can buy that can be scaled down for people with slower performing machines. This game is stunning using a 6800GT or X800 and perfectly playable with a two+ year old graphics card like the ATI9700Pro.
All the people who have played both, please step forward. Sorry Winnow, step backwards. As far as the "cartoony" graphics, that's a matter of style and personal taste. In my opinion, WoW runs better, looks better, has a more cohesive world, is more interesting, and, most importantly, more FUN.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Oh, and might I add, Shaerra running a VV guild makes about as much sense as Stromm Thurmond being a leader of the Black Panthers.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Thanks for that useless input.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

EQ2 still seems to run smoother on my GeForce FX 5700 128meg card. I tried it out on the ATI 9600 256meg card I have as well, but I couldn't seem to get the same feel for the game. I will probably mess with the settings some to see what I can get out of it.

I couldn't really get "in" to WoW during the Stress Test for some reason. I don't know what exactly it was, but the graphics were only a minor part of it. Most of the game just felt generic to me, especially the quest dialog.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Dregor Thule wrote:
Winnow wrote:-EQ2 runs fine if you have a decent system (ATi9700 Pro, 2.4GHz processor, 1GB RAM) Nothing dramatic but you need this and then it runs fine.

-Not sure what you mean about unique scenery. There's plenty of scenery in EQ2 and it looks much better then the distorted toontownish scenes in WoW.

-WoW UI didn't seem any different than the EQ2 UI which was great.

-The Voiceovers are great. Who cares if you don't listen to the whole thing. You have a choice to listen or click through the dialog faster if you're in a rush.

-Graphics are polished. If you have an older graphics card you can slide the detail range in closer to allow faster performance.

I don't nock a game for having state of the art graphics. People continuously upgrade their machines and I want a game that will take advantage of the best you can buy that can be scaled down for people with slower performing machines. This game is stunning using a 6800GT or X800 and perfectly playable with a two+ year old graphics card like the ATI9700Pro.
All the people who have played both, please step forward. Sorry Winnow, step backwards. As far as the "cartoony" graphics, that's a matter of style and personal taste. In my opinion, WoW runs better, looks better, has a more cohesive world, is more interesting, and, most importantly, more FUN.
Assuming you count the stress test as "playing" -- sure, I've played both, and I must say that EQ2 obliterates WoW.

-EQ2 looks amazing on the crappiest of the crappy cards, while WoW graphics make you literally feel like you're sitting in a cartoon. Maybe this is great for the preteens but I'll take realism over a comic strip any day.

-Simply staring out into Qeynos, glaring at the water or the sky, it's amazing - almost comparable to real world environments. Whereas WoW has another purple building that looks like it's about to collapse.

-Quest system in each game is very similar, but I still feel EQ2 has WoW beat in that aspect too. It tells you EXACTLY what you need to do, and what zone you need to do it in, yet it still allows for a feeling of exploration.

-Housing. It will be interesting to see how this turns out, but I have already customized my room and invited guests. Very fascinating. WoW, as far as I know, has none.

-Voiceovers. As Winnow mentioned, you can skip through them (and even turn them off, as you can with most options of the game). The voices truly make you feel you are IN the game, as opposed to the guy sitting at your computer screen for the fourth hour in a row. Running through a city and hearing merchants try to sell you their product. Captivating sums it up well.

In short: EQ2 has a much stronger base than WoW (IMO). If you can't run it because of your graphics card, you should really get a new one anyway.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mort »

I didnt really give it much of a chance, as I am soo hooked on WoW atm. However, I am going to try a long session tonight (And tomorrow, got the day off and WoW is patching). I will try to be unbiased this round =P
Morteus - 60 NE War - Cenarius
Warlord of <Driven>

"I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct....."
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

What irks me is that there are people who are wasting Beta slots in order to compare the game to WoW. Why the fuck sign up for beta when you have zero interest in actually testing it for bugs like the beta is intended to do?
Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mort »

As far as wasting a slot, Im not. My fiance' has been playing it quite a bit. I apped for both to check both out and still intend to do so.
Warlord of <Driven>

Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That is the thing....it is not to "check out". If they wanted people to play these to see if they liked them, then they would be called a "free trial". Beta means you play it hard and often...and try to cheat it to find loopholes that need to be closed. It is "beta testing" like what is going on that has companies putting out releases like SWG had. Too many freeloaders and not enough testers.
Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mort »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:That is the thing....it is not to "check out". If they wanted people to play these to see if they liked them, then they would be called a "free trial". Beta means you play it hard and often...and try to cheat it to find loopholes that need to be closed. It is "beta testing" like what is going on that has companies putting out releases like SWG had. Too many freeloaders and not enough testers.
"We" have /bugged EQ2 about 20 times, and WoW over 100 dude. Dont take everything I say so literally. I know it is an honor to be a beta tester and I am doing whatever I can to make sure the end product is good. Hell bro, if I could... I would email you my Beta infoz but I dont wanna get bounced for it.
Warlord of <Driven>

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Mort wrote: "We" have /bugged EQ2 about 20 times, and WoW over 100 dude.
EQ2 is five times as polished as WoW. The evidence is clear. Problems with WoW are reported in the 100's while EQ has barely 20.

EQ2 just had another monster update patch last night. The patch message is novel length with cool new things being added outnumbering bugs needing to be fixed.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:What irks me is that there are people who are wasting Beta slots in order to compare the game to WoW. Why the fuck sign up for beta when you have zero interest in actually testing it for bugs like the beta is intended to do?
Happy to irk! I have interest in testing games, just not ones that make me want to log off because it's so not fun. You'd be able to ponder that during one of the many load screens if you were in the beta.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I won't hate the game cause I haven't played it. I despise SoE for their implemementation track record, horrible support and the fact that they chose to ignore community feedback completely.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

<Veeshan Vault> has doubled in size again!

If you happen get in and start a character on Beta 1, send Skeevo, Skeevy or Gemilee a tell. We figured out that the level gap for grouping is around 4 levels tonight. hehe

Warrior
Scout
Sorcerer
Cleric

3 rats and a DE. Oh yes...pick an evil race if you want to group with the above VVer guild as you can't switch sides till 20 along with a lengthy quest. We're in Freeport but be sure to create a good character to check out Qeynos as it's an impressive city.
Gemily
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Gemily »

Saw Vannoth while running around Freeport. *hugz Vannoth* He's got a guild called *Vannoth's Harem* ROFL, gotta love him :)

So far I'm having a blast, and I'm one of the lucky ones who is in both EQ2 and WoW beta. I like both games about the same .

The guild is mostly composed of Ratongas, come on guys, we need other races too. :wink:
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

guess I'll remake something else on Beta1 then ><
Gemily
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Gemily »

Fires of Heaven formed up in EQ2 also. Seen a couple of its members in Freeport. I'm looking forward to seeing how many of the other EQ guilds reform there too.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

My vid card fried, and so I'm temporarily using my old geforce card which will not work with eq2, so I'm out of comission in eq2 until i get the replacement. :(
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Wonko Wenusberg
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Wonko Wenusberg »

Beta 1 : Varus (currently stuck in Thundering Steppes)
Beta 2 : Wonko ( Beta 2 is practically lag-free compared to Beta1 server)
cweeedit cwuunch
Neroon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Neroon »

Lemo - wood elf bard - beta 2