Longevity of PS?

All discussion moved to Video Game General Discussion
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Longevity of PS?

Post by Ransure »

So, Ive been thinking about this game, and wondering... Does PS have what EQ did for us in the long term? I mean most of us played EQ for the better part of 4 years, some of us more than that... but after BR20 CR5 (or higher if it goes there) is there something left for PS?

Sure, its always fun to go up against a real group of people in an all out fight... but isnt there a point where that becomes repetitious?
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

Yep, we all have our doubts about the replay value of Planetside. I highly doubt it will last as long as EQ to the point that I'm definite, consider the online games that have flopped, there are many of them, EQ is an anomaly. But remember, this game is completely different from EQ, it appeals to a completely different range of players. Back to the replay value.... the producers know that they're sitting on a extremely good game, a good game with questions about the future. So, they will be adding a lot of new items, vehicles, gameplay changes, etc. THe game has been out not even a month, and they are already adding stuff, this is to keep anyone thats having second thoughts locked in and expecting new and better stuff consistantly. I have my doubts when I think about when the new stuff gets old, and the point at which any more new stuff is detrimental to the existing game. We'll see... but for now, I'm having fun.
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Erolz NTurnet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Erolz NTurnet »

A game where there aren't any real long amounts of downtime (where we could get to know one another more i.e. form a community) or any sense of accomplishment after taking a base since you just go own to the next one doesn't really sound to promising.

Capping bases in this game reminds me of early level dungeon crawling in EQ cept there's no named Mobs... you just keep going. yay. its starting to get lame. All it will take is some new game that looks sweet like Doom 3 or whatever for most FPS people to go play that one instead and it'll be free.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Criticism of PS's replay value is nothing new. It's been going on since exclusive beta. For reasons already mentioned, I don't see PS lasting too long. The game is essentially the same thing over and over, and though I think it's a blast, even I get bored of it after a while. Unless you love the gameplay, PS doesn't offer anything that you can't find in a host of other games. Arguably, PS's scale and diversity (pilot, driver, infantry, MAX, infil) will keep it going for a while, but even that will get old after a while.

I like PS, and I enjoy it a lot, but I don't feel like I'm missing something if I'm not playing like I did during early EQ.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

I wouldn't want a game that demanded as much time as EQ used to.
The urge to play all night every night may not last long, but the penalties for not playing for a period of time are far less severe than in EQ.
But yeah we'll see :)
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

The past week especially I have been getting really bored with this game. My play time has went down tremendously (I didn't even play last night) and I am starting to look more and more forward to other games.
Kargyle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kargyle »

Planet Side will most likely be fine for a good while. It may not enjoy a huge player base, but enough of one to keep the game running and new development being done. Look at World War 2 Online. It is still going strong. They are still adding new content on a semi regular basis, I think they even had an expansion, though I can't remember for sure. Counter Strike and Team Fortress are essentially the same thing over and over, but both games still enjoy a good level of popularity.
The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion. - Thomas Paine
Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mort »

Im having a blast but dont see myself playing this (as much atleast) in a year.... but it will work till WoW comes out /drools......
Morteus - 60 NE War - Cenarius
Warlord of <Driven>

"I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct....."
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I got sick of PS within weeks of Beta. I think in order to keep people interested, they'll have to have a "carrot" to wave in evryone's face in order to keep their attention. This could be new skills, vehicles, or certs. It has to be something, and it has to be often, like once a month or something. As the game stands, there's really nothing to look forward to or keep the buzz going.