Cyberpunk 2077 PC/Xbox/PS

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Cyberpunk 2077 PC/Xbox/PS

Post by Winnow »

I can't believe there's no thread for this game!

With less than a month to go, it's time to start talking about it.

This game has developed a a passionate fan base over the years. It was first announced in 2012:

Original Trailer from e3 2012

I've probably watched that video 20+ times over the years. If I had to guess, more than that.

7 minute E3 2019 Cyberpunk 2077 featuring Keanu Reeves

CD Project Red knows how to entertain and get your attention. In 2018 they "hacked" the end of the Microsoft Xbox presentation to show their trailer and the fans went nuts. In 2019, Keanu Reeves made a surprise appearance in the game and the fans really went nuts.

Here's an idea of how much work went into this game. I'll just focus on the script. There are over 100,000 voiced lines in the game or over one million words. That's all the Harry Potter books combined...in one game. This game has been verbally translated into Polish, English, Japanese, Mandarin, French, Russian, German, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian and Spanish. Impressive and labor intensive. As an example, the Chinese team used over 150 voice actors using four recording studios and took 10,000 person-hours to record the 100,000+ lines. The Polish team used 250 voice actors (native language for CD Project Red) so the English version is probably somewhere in the middle of that.

Hopefully the image doesnt red-x, in the spoiler is a picture of a part of the Japanese script. It's not the entire script:
[Show]
In order to keep the game immersive, CD Projekt Red used an AI to match facial animations to every language so the mouths move on each character as they should for the spoken words.

------

Cyberpunk 2077 is based on a role playing (D&D type game) originally called Cyberpunk 2020 released in 1988. The creator, Mike Pondsmith, was consulted and has worked with CD Projekt Red on the game (unlike the Witcher author!)

------

No loading screens.

Massive world. Different than the more spread out games like GTA, Cyberpunk 2077 goes vertical with massive buildings that you can explore every floor of. The game doesn't aim to be the largest in flat space, but it's definitely the densest with the least random filler crap.

Tons of weapons, cars, ways to build your character, crafting. If you played The Witcher 3, you know that the quests are unique and interesting with each one having their own story that goes way beyond your average RPG game sidequests. No bullshit go kill 3 rats quests.

This game is quality from top to bottom. The opposite of a rushed game.

There's always room for disappointment and that's what people focus on these days. Screw those people. I'm looking forward to this game!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 PC/Xbox/PS

Post by Aslanna »

Cyberpunk 2077 delayed again, won’t arrive until December
Hey everyone... Remember when Winnow threw so much shade at Sony studios for delaying a game once.. maybe twice? Surely he has some very nasty things to say about CDPR now that they've delayed their game like 10-12 times now.

Yeah right.
Winnow wrote:I can't believe there's no thread for this game!
There was no thread because nobody cared. I have it pre-ordered and I'm finding it hard to give a shit.
Winnow wrote:With less than a month to go..
Wrong!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

So mean!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm looking forward to it, but I can't shake the feeling that it's going to have really shitty performance on the PS4, and I won't be able to afford a PS5 anytime soon - so I'm in no rush, I'll get to it eventually.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Next gen version won't be available release day anyway so I don't see a reason to preorder it. Sure I save $15 (bought on Best Buy GCU before my subscription expired) but if I wait a year can probably get it for $30 or less. I'm in no hurry to play this game. I seriously doubt it will be a life-altering experience. It's just a video game, people!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:39 pm Next gen version won't be available release day anyway so I don't see a reason to preorder it. Sure I save $15 (bought on Best Buy GCU before my subscription expired) but if I wait a year can probably get it for $30 or less. I'm in no hurry to play this game. I seriously doubt it will be a life-altering experience. It's just a video game, people!
Where did you see that next gen versions wont be available day one? They delayed the release to Dec 10th so they could release all versions at the same time. I think they are trying to get the Xbox One/PS4 versions to run better. It was confirmed that Stadia wasn't the reason for the delay.

Specs are actually lower than people first thought they would be. I'd probably not get it for original PS4/Xbox One though. PC/Series X/PS5 would be the platform of choice.

Some may not like cyberpunk theme but the game itself is going to be first rate. I for one really like cyberpunk, much better than something like a Red Dead western theme, and while I like old fantasy settings, even over The Witcher. I'm pretty worn out on the fantasy themes.

All that said, I give the game a 50/50 chance of releasing on Dec 10.I doubt CD Project Red wants to miss out on holiday sales but I think having to make their game work on ancient PS4/Xbox One is hurting them.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: October 30, 2020, 2:03 am
Aslanna wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:39 pm Next gen version won't be available release day anyway so I don't see a reason to preorder it.
Where did you see that next gen versions wont be available day one? They delayed the release to Dec 10th so they could release all versions at the same time. I think they are trying to get the Xbox One/PS4 versions to run better. It was confirmed that Stadia wasn't the reason for the delay.

Everywhere. Read a book or something. The PS5/Xbox Series NATIVE versions will not be available at launch. Sure you'll be able to play your PS4/XBox One version on the new consoles but that's not the same. And they couldn't even commit to 2021 for releasing those updated versions so yeah. It could be a long wait.

Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... unch-game/

Source: https://www.engadget.com/cyberpunk-2077 ... 52388.html

And if you don't trust those two places let your fingers do the Googling.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

They should have stuck to it will be ready when it's ready.
Greetings, I’m Adam Kiciński, Joint CEO of CD PROJEKT. Thank you for joining today’s call which
concerns the postponement of the Cyberpunk 2077 release date by 3 weeks - until December 10. We
would like to briefly explain the reasons behind today’s decision and also answer any questions you
may have.

First and foremost, on behalf of the whole Board, I would like to offer an apology for breaking our
promise and failing your trust.

We underestimated the time required for the very final processes. The game is ready for the PC and
runs great on the next-gen consoles, and could be shipped on the scheduled date on those platforms.
However, even though the game has been certified on the current gens by both Sony and Microsoft,
some very final optimization processes for such a massive and complex game require a bit of additional
time.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I could've sworn that they have never stuck to any release date since they first announced the game...
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Personally I don't care about a release date. Release the shit when it's done. It's just a damn game after all.The only reason it's so funny to me is because Winnow went on and on about it whenever Sony announced a game delay. Now when it's another studio other than a Sony first party studio he's like "It will be ready when it's ready". Hypocrite.

But there are people out there who actually send developers death threats when a game is delayed. Death threats! For a game delay.. Think about that, people. This is truly the worst time to be alive. And "gamers" might be the worst of the lot.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

https://youtu.be/BO8lX3hDU30

Gameplay trailer released today.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Currently with 44 reviews on Metacritic it's at a 91 so I'm sure it's a decent enough game but I don't think it's my type of game. Especially as I wouldn't play it until the actual native next-gen console versions were released sometime next year.

I did try to cancel my order with Best Buy recently but it seems I waited too long. As long as I don't open it I'd imagine I can just bring it into a Best Buy for a refund.

To be honest I'm not all that into the cyberpunk genre in general so I don't know why I preordered it to begin with. I just got caught up in the hype! That and my GCU was expiring at the time I ordered so I was just looking for things to buy at that point.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think that review score is going to come down - from what I understand, reviewers were only able to use B footage in their reviews, and talk about certain things. Seems really fishy - and then some of the reviews also talk about a ton of bugs. Apparently there is a SECOND day one patch, and maybe that'll fix it, but it sounds like this game needed a few more months still.

My intention is still to wait and play it on the PS5, so it'll likely be a while for me anyhow, and hopefully by then they have the issues worked out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You’ll be able to pre-load the GOG version of Cyberpunk 2077 – which you can also pre-order via Humble – on December 7 at 3:00 AM PST / 6:00 AM EST / 11:00 AM GMT. Steam and Epic pre-loads will be available on the same day starting at 9:00 PST / 11:00 AM EST / 4:00 PM GMT

I bought it on GoG so CD Projekt Red gets all the money, no cut for Steam/Epic.

My copy is already preloaded. Nice that (for PC version) it starts at exact same time for everyone and a little earlier in the U.S. than the 10th.

Like all games, I'm sure waiting would iron out the rough spots in the game but I've been waiting since 2012. I'm happy to deal with any bugs there might be.

I think you'll eventually enjoy it whenever you get around to it. I appreciate a company like CD Projekt Red for the effort they put into the story and quests to make them all unique and interesting.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 and Xbox One seems to have major problems
Uh oh.
This is Cyberpunk 2077 - PS4 version 1.00. Resolution is literally below 720p and the game takes 20 seconds to load in textures. Inexcusable. Unfathomable. Unplayable.
I feel bad for those people.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I mean, it was pretty clear they were putting it out on the last gen consoles only because they needed to, and that it wasn't really developed for them. That's why my plan has been to wait this whole time. Still sucks, and they probably should've just taken the hit in sales and not released it on the old consoles, but I'm not surprised.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If they were not developing for last gen consoles, which is weird considering the game was announced years before next gen consoles were, and was supposed to be out well in advance of the next-gen (at the time) consoles. the game should not have been released on them. Nobody should be giving them a pass on this or be saying "Should have got the PC version, lolz". I am not saying you are saying those things.. But many are.

I guess it makes sense why all the review copies, at least from what I heard (could be fake news!), were only available for the PC and not the consoles.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Oh I don't disagree with you. There had to be a point where they realized it wasn't going to be able to run at an acceptable levels on the old consoles, and they should've just let people know they wouldn't be releasing it there. Sure that wouldn't have been received well, but I can't imagine it being received worse than having a broken game released that likely won't ever get to a good state on the last gen consoles.

And yes, the review constraints they had in place made it pretty clear that there was something to hide.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm having a blast in the game! There are some bugs. None game breaking.

Main story is heavy heavy story. I felt like there were stretches where I went hours with barely firing a shot at anything. Fortunately there are tons of side quests and you can wander all over.

After about 8 hours in, I started wandering and doing side quests. By that time in the game, you have a laundry list of things to do on your in game phone texts or voice mail and the map is always peppered with quests and random events.

One thing for sure, it's not GTA. Don't be running anyone over or randomly shooting people. Cops come fast. You can, it's just not as forgiving. I saved the game and tested this out. I went to some alley where no one was around except two crackheads. I lopped offer their heads with a sword and the police where there in seconds.

More than one play through for sure. The perks/abilities trees allow for multiple varied builds. The three life paths matter somewhat as well with your dialog choices.

One thing I found funny. If you choose a circumcised penis during character generation, it limits some of your relationship options in the game. As of now, there's no way to change your character in game so what you choose is what you get (for now, DLC/updates will probably add post character gen appearance changing options) . There are prostitutes, sex shops with a variety of dildos etc in the game. Definitely geared toward adults. The M18 rating is warranted

Driving mechanics suck. I use a thumbstick gamepad controller which probably makes it harder than it should be, but driving isn't a strength of the game.

The hacking and braindance abilities took some getting used to. You can completely ignore those in your build if you want which I have mostly. I'll focus on those maybe when I choose the Corpo life path in another play through. It is possible to reset your abilities in game, but it's really expensive so you wouldn't be doing that until pretty for into the game.

It's a game to get lost in for hours and hours. My play sessions are limited to whenever I end up with a headache which I eventually get on all first person games.

As expected, side missions are involved and unique. You can focus on the main campaign but it's easy to get distracted by all sorts of things and not just side quests. During your main quest, you can end up wandering around finding things. There's random loot/junk scattered around so it's kind of up to you how much you feel like looking for it.

As for PC, it works great. I had no issues with my setup. I did turn off motion blur, chromatic aberration, film grain and depth of field because I don't like those options in any game.

Fun game so far! IMO, it's not a game to be rushed, take your time, do random stuff and enjoy the sights.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Cyberpunk 2077 Developers Are Sorry The Game Runs Badly On PS4 And Xbox, Offer Refunds
Not sorry enough to have allowed those versions to have been reviewed prior to launch so they could cash in on all those millions of preorders.

Their reputation is definitely taking a hit over this. As it should. It's dishonest and bordering on criminal.

But hey everyone.. CDPR knows how to ensure their fans "went nuts". I mean.. They had Keanu at a press conference for the game! I love Keanu as much as the next person but if he showed up in the next God of War I surely wouldn't go "nuts".

Winnow wrote: October 25, 2020, 5:40 am This game is quality from top to bottom. The opposite of a rushed game.
Would you like to try that again?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, most people I've talked to, regardless of what platform they're playing on, have decided to put the game aside until some patches roll out. Some of the things I've heard from friends (all playing on PS5/PC): Can't use health packs, have to put them on the ground and eat them off the ground. Damage on secondary attacks (grenades, hacking) is all so low it's not worth using them. Quest text stuck on screen. Myriad of visual bugs.

Like you say, their "apology" today annoyed me more than it helped. They word it like it just slipped their mind to focus more on the last gen consoles, and to show footage of the game on those in advance. This isn't true - they specifically told reviewers like ACG that they weren't giving them review copies because they knew he'd talk about performance on last gen consoles.

It's largely a messaging issue for me. Like I've said before, a year or so ago when they first started pushing the release date back, they likely had a good idea that the current gen consoles weren't going to work well, they should've just cut support from them at this point and dealt with the backlash. I think being up front about things will garner a better reaction than still releasing it for the PS4, but it looking and playing like utter shit. And even if they didn't decide to drop last gen support, they should've just been more forthcoming about the experience there versus new consoles/pc.

I'll keep an eye on it, a PS5 is far enough in my future that if they can somehow manage to get the game to an acceptable state on the PS4 Pro in a couple of months, I might pick it up there anyhow.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I acknowledge the pressure companies have to appease their shareholders. Getting this game out before Xmas did rush it.

I'm having a great time in the game but do see plenty of room for improvement.

We live in a negative view society. Almost any game gets slammed upon release these days unless it's so bad that no one cares about it. This doesn't just go for games, it's a sad attitude that is directed toward almost anything.

Even dykes like Elliot Page get shit on by other dykes, trannys fags etc. It's hilarious. No matter what they are...its, he, she, sherms, just fucking devour themselves. You can't win if you're in the entertainment industry. People are going to find a way to hate you and once they do, that becomes the entire focus of all social media.

I hate all gay, lesbian, black forced parts in movies and TV these past few years...not because I hate gays, lesbians, trannys, or any particular race, but because these parts are forced, like checking off a list of things you must include to be accepted. I guaran-fucking-tee you'll find one gay couple in almost every TV series the past few years. They are written so the producer, director, media company can check that box and say they filled it.

I take that back. I hate middle aged white women. Dumbest of all races and age groups. Nothing worse than clueless people taking up a cause that has nothing to do with the cause but more with trying to make themselves feel better. Find the Bill Burr youtube video on this from SNL. It's spot on:

https://youtu.be/O1xgXJ5_Q34

Brilliant!

Back on topic. Cyberpunk 2077 is fun. It has plenty of bugs and I look forward to improvements over the next few years. Still playing it and enjoying the hell out of it's present state.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sony offering Cyberpunk 2077 refunds, pulls game from PlayStation Store

What a disaster Cyberpunk 2077 has turned out to be.

Also, if you HOOKERWHORESLUT your post with terms like "dyke" and "fag" you're probably a bad person.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote: December 17, 2020, 11:17 pm
Sony offering Cyberpunk 2077 refunds, pulls game from PlayStation Store

What a disaster Cyberpunk 2077 has turned out to be.

Also, if you HOOKERWHORESLUT your post with terms like "dyke" and "fag" you're probably a bad person.
There's no fucking probably about it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I am torn on returning my CP2077 to Best Buy. For one thing I got it for $45.. And another it earned me a $20 reward certificate, so in reality it's only costing me $25. But on the other hand I'm not sure i want to support their shenanigans. And in a year I could probably find this game for $5 so... Yeah. But mostly I am just too lazy to drive down there and return it.

Apparently one of the guys in charge of CDPR is quite irate at Sony for pulling the game from their online store so in the future I could imagine them publishing an Xbox exclusive since MS doesn't give a shit about the consumer and continues to sell a broken game. Do the right thing Microsoft! Eh who am I kidding... You won't.

But, Winnow, this is a good example of not sucking a company's cock BEFORE they release something since you never know how it's going to turn out and you could end up looking like a complete idiot.

But hey... THEY HAD KEANU! Obviously that will make for a great game worth purchasing Day One...

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I Don't blame you. I don't have any interest in the game, but them then pulling Devotion from being listed on their GoG store right at the last minute in an attempt to not piss off the CCP makes it look like they are actively trying to get rid of the good will they've spent all these years building up.

I see what you're saying about their potential exclusive due to Sony pulling the game, but that would be the absolute last straw for me. You want to punish your fan base because daddy slapped your hand? Cool, no more money from me.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

As with everything these days, it's blown out of proportion. The game is fun. I'm OK with anyone that likes to wait on games for patches and updates, etc but besides the ancient PS4/X-Box One performance issues that it shouldn't have been released for, the game is fun.

Unfortunately, not just for CD Projekt Red, keeping investors happy is required unless you're Microsoft that can release a new console with no new games because it isn't going to break them to wait.

On a more general view, it's hard to satisfy people these days. Youtubers trying to get their few views to make a buck latch onto all negative aspects of games (or anything else) and the current cancel culture loves to jump on the band wagon and promote the flaws way more than the positives.

As someone that has loved technology advancements, the internet, etc, I can clearly see the flaws of social media and the damage it's done to our society. Facebook and Twitter are the main culprits but if they didn't do it, some other company would have. Both right and left news outlets focus on negative news. We live in a miserable negative focused cancel culture and I don't see a solution to the problem.

I highly recommend people watch, "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix. It's a hybrid "Docu-drama" about the dangers of Social Networking.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: December 29, 2020, 11:07 am As with everything these days, it's blown out of proportion. The game is fun.
It has NOT been blown out of proportion. Have you even watched the Digital Foundry videos? 15-20 fps is NOT acceptable.

Also, PS4/Xbox One aren't "ancient". They were current generation consoles at the time CP2077 was announced (and as of 2 months ago). Stop making excuses for CDPR.

Their standing in the gaming community has definitely diminished. You may disagree but that doesn't alter facts.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: December 30, 2020, 10:04 pm
Their standing in the gaming community has definitely diminished. You may disagree but that doesn't alter facts.
I agree that CD Projekt Red's standing has diminished with gamers.

I play on a PC. The game is fun. I get great FPS. I would buy the game day one again knowing what I know right now. I don't seek perfection in a game, I seek entertainment and fun.

The transition from old gen consoles to new gen always sucks.

This person played all three consoles for 2 months:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-ga ... nd-review/

He pretty much says there's no rush to get any of them but lists some pros and cons for each.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I finally got around to bringing my copy back to Best Buy so that's $51 back in my pocket! I thought about keeping it but at this point I can't support a company that does shady things like that. Good job ruining your reputation, CDPR!

If I ever bother to buy it again it will be in a few years when it's $5 and hopefully works.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Next-gen native console versions won't be out until the second half of the year. I'm so glad I got my refund on this game.

Biggest disappointment of 2020 by far!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The game itself is fun. Rushing it is a disappointment for sure.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote: January 18, 2021, 7:40 pm Next-gen native console versions won't be out until the second half of the year. I'm so glad I got my refund on this game.

Yeah, it's my intention to wait for the next gen version at this point, but we'll see.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's already $30 so I'm glad I returned it for a refund. Beyond that I hear the game ain't all that anyway. It's not as "cyberpunk" as it could be and the side quests are mostly uninspired. It's not a bad game.. nor is it a great game.. It's simply a "fine" game.

Obviously those sort of opinions are subjective, and one would need to play it themselves to truly find out, but that's just what I've heard! Even when it's $5 I doubt I will play it. Too many other games out there to choose from from companies that didn't try to pull the wool over the eyes of their customers.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omyoJ7onNrg

I am not sure why it didn't post as a media thingie but whatever! I tried the media tags and it said I couldn't use them :(

I was also going to quote some of Winnow's comments from the No Man's Sky thread but that seems to have been deleted. So many threads deleted!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A patch come out today for all platforms.

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/37373/patch-1-1
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Too little too late for me. I won't be purchasing this again even if it hits $5. But hopefully someone out there finds that it fixes some of their issues if they are playing it.

Did you watch that video? A lot of the captured gameplay was from PC on Ultra settings. They should be embarrassed about putting that game out.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Very disappointing. The game is actually fun but the bugs, rush to release for holidays etc have pretty much done in CD Projekt Red's reputation as one of the better game developers. I suppose it happens to most companies that get too big (EA, Bethesda, etc)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I hope they fix it eventually. It wasn't really my sort of game from the start but I gave into the hype and got it anyway.

I also hope other companies use this as a learning experience and don't make the same mistake. Delay your shit if you have to. Even if you lose some sales from that it's better in the long run.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

CD Projekt refunded 30K copies of Cyberpunk 2077 out of 13M
Well that's not very many!
Players were also able to get refunds through Sony and Microsoft, which were not included in this tally.
Oh. Nevermind. That also doesn't include people like me who returned it to a retailer like Best Buy.

All in all "30k copies" is a useless statistic.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

CD Projekt Red posted record-breaking revenue and sales numbers for the 2020 fiscal year, thanks to Cyberpunk 2077 — and despite the game's problematic release. The developer has announced (PDF) that it posted over 2.14 billion Polish Zloty (PLN) or around US$563 million in total sales revenue, which is four times higher than 2019's. That's mostly due to Cyberpunk 2077, which sold over 13.7 million copies by the end of 2020, making it the largest game in the company's history.

Sony had to make the decision to pull the game from the PS store, where it remains unavailable for purchase, and to offer refunds to anybody who wanted one. Microsoft followed soon after, offering full refunds to Xbox players who bought a copy.

Those refunds barely made a dent on the developer's earnings, though
Looks like they're doing ok. Still a fun game despite the bugs. New free content on the way.

Hopefully they'll learn a few lessons and do a better job next major release.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well I couldn't give a shit about their profits. I'm just glad my money isn't a part of it. Others can make their own purchasing decisions.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: April 25, 2021, 11:12 pm Well I couldn't give a shit about their profits. I'm just glad my money isn't a part of it. Others can make their own purchasing decisions.
I care because there are too few good AAA games out there because of how expensive and difficult they are to make. A typical cancel culture response would be to just want money back and screw thew the rest of the consequences. If they can survive and learn from this, it's a good thing for the eventual Witcher 4.

Sometimes you need to give a company some time to get things right. With Soylent, the initial v1.2 powdered formula made me want to vomit but I didnt ask for a refund and they eventually worked things out and made a decent tasting v 2.0 liquid version. Now, if Soylent releases a 3.0 and it sucks ass, I would give them the benefit of the doubt to make corrections for the next version.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not sure your real point here. I don't want them cancelled. But that doesn' t mean I'm going to let them keep my money for a subpar product I didn't have much interest in to begin with. Whatever consequences there are of their own doing. Aren't you all about the free market?

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

PS4/XBO version is $10 today only at Best Buy. Just in case anyone wanted in on that. Might be a good deal if you don't mind leaving it on your shelf until the (hopefully free) next-gen version is released.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote: January 18, 2021, 7:40 pm Next-gen native console versions won't be out until the second half of the year. I'm so glad I got my refund on this game.

Second half of 2021 was optimistic...
October 20, 2021

Subject: Updated publication schedule of next-gen releases of Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

CD PROJEKT S.A. (hereinafter referred to as “the Company”) wishes to provide an update regarding its publication schedule for 2021 as concerns the release of dedicated versions of Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for next-gen consoles (Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5). The Management Board of the Company hereby announces that, based on recommendations supplied by persons supervising development, it has decided to allocate additional time to both projects. The Company currently intends to release the next-gen version of Cyberpunk 2077 in the first quarter of 2022, and the next-gen version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in the second quarter of 2022.
So mealy 1.5 extra years for a native version for the now current-gen consoles. To all the people that say they were developing it for PC and dumbing it down for PS4/XBO I think this proves this wasn't the case. This game was not nearly ready for release in any capacity.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah it's kind of a joke/who gives a fuck situation at this point. I might have a PS5 by the time it releases and might consider picking it up if they've made significant improvements (and not just next gen visual upgrades). Otherwise I'll wait to get the PS5 version on sale for like 20 dollars or less.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

$5 for PS/Xbox (physical) at Best Buy today. Includes the next-gen upgrades so I might get it.

Still undecided even at that price!

(Nevermind, it seems pretty much sold out at this point.)

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

If I had never played Grand Theft Auto V, I may have enjoyed Cyberpunk more, but Rockstar just does it better. In GTA V the city feels more alive, the driving is smoother and I just didn’t care about the characters or the overall story in Cyberpunk. Keanu Reeves being in the game was purely a gimmick.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.