Assassin's Creed Unity (PS4, PC, Xbox)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Assassin's Creed Unity (PS4, PC, Xbox)

Post by Aslanna »

Quote stolen from another thread!
Animalor wrote:What I enjoyed about Unity is that it was a return to the spirit of what made AC2. Almost 0 bullshit except for the in-game chests that can only be opened in the Companion App.
I've recently started Unity... Luckily the companion app stuff was phased out at least in regards to the chests. Just another reason why it pays (saves!) to not buy games day one.
Ubisoft wrote:Additionally, we will be unlocking all content exclusive to Initiates and the Companion App, including both blue and gold chests. Players can still progress on the Companion App, they just will no longer be required to complete content to unlock in-game chests.
I did notice all the many, Many, MANY different colored chests on the map.. From what I've seen the game gives indication on what each is. Nomad? Initiate? No clue! And speaking of the map, holy shit did they go overboard with the collectibles in this game. All of which are required for the platinum trophy. Busywork just for the sake of busywork. There's no filter available like in previous AC games either other than the premade ones you can cycle through.
Animalor wrote:The new movement engine takes some getting used to but works really well when you get into the flow of things. Enemies won't just attack you one at a time sequentially adding real challenge to the fighting (Although I've been 1-hit killed a few times when I wanted into an area of Paris that was labeled "difficult").
Eh. So far I am not seeing it as an improvement. With one exception... Right trigger+O (not sure what button it is on xbox.. Y maybe) to quickly descend. That's pretty slick and I haven't encountered many situations where it refuses to work. General running is as frustrating as it ever was maybe even moreso since there is shit all over the ground that Arno wants to jump up on. Not to mention the throngs of people you need to get past. I know they wanted to show off the new generation tech but I'm not sure adding a million people to the city upped the fun factor at all. I basically just plow through people whenever I am going somewhere. Lucily the fast travel system is improved since you can pick those locations directly from the map however that doesn't help you much during missions.

Combat is just pissing me off but maybe it's because I'm in areas where I shouldn't be yet. I've had many 1-2 hit deaths and enemies have way too much health. I know it's more realistic but it's still kind of bullshit when there are multiple enemies and they are all attacking at the same time. I've never used so many health potions in an AC game before. Not to mention the camera is complete garbage. So many times now I've gotten hitten by an enemy that I didn't even see because the camera is pushed in too much on me or there would be a tree or something else blocking my view. wtf Ubi!

Another thing that is terrible is that this game does not support Rest mode on PS4. This is the only game I have ever played that has done that. By not supporting I mean that you literally can't enter rest mode until you close out of the game first. Not a huge annoyance I suppose however the load times in this are on the long side. So then you go into the menu to Exit Game but guess what, that option isn't there. I know console games don't let you exit directly to the console UI anymore but most have an Exit Game option that does any necessary saving and then brings you back to the main menu so that you can then close. In here you just have to take it on faith that it has saved the last important thing you've done.

I started a listing of good and bad points but it's and home and I don't remember the other items offhand. So far it's not terrible but the setting and story isn't grabbing me very much. It definitely has the feeling of a game that was pushed out before it was quite ready just so they could hit that yearly release schedule.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Assassin's Creed Unity (PS4, PC, Xbox)

Post by Aslanna »

If one really wanted to play this and hasn't... It's free this week on uPlay.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Assassin's Creed Unity (PS4, PC, Xbox)

Post by Aslanna »

Unity Platinumed!

So far Unity has been the most grindy AC game. On to Syndicate!

--